As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I stop zealots from soliciting me?

FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So today my girlfriend called me while I was at work to tell me a card came in the mail. We had just gone to a wedding so I thought it was a thank you card. It turns out that it was from some nut job in the lower part of the state that hand wrote a card that was pimping some kind of crazy religion and condemning homosexuals.

My questions are: How did they get my address? My address is listed in the phone book, but my girlfriend's name is not listed with it.

I started to think about it a little more and my girlfriend has a unisex name, are they sending me this shit because they think I'm a homosexual?

Is there something I can do about them basically sending me hate speech?

Fellhand on

• Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yes, write him a reply telling him that you disagree with his religion and his beliefs, then request that he send you nothing else in the mail or you'll ring him up for harassment.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yes, write him a reply telling him that you disagree with his religion and his beliefs, then request that he send you nothing else in the mail or you'll ring him up for harassment.

Also known as the Jack Thompson defense. Alternatively, since this is the first time it's happened, I'd just toss it in the trash and ignore it. If he still continues to send you crap, then go with the harassment angle.

Did it actually come in the mail or was it something left in your mailbox (ie did it have postage and all that)?

Invisible on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It had postage and all that. I initally thought it was something that just threw in our mailbox, which confused me because we have a key only box, but my girlfriend said they actually hand wrote our address and had postage.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Just throw it away. Or if that's not satisfying enough, burn it somewhere fire-safe. Urinating on the charred remains to put out the last flames is optional.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I have a very common German last name, and my family once got some hand-addressed skinhead propaganda. It was creepy as hell, but a one time occurrence.

Doc on
  • Options
    DemitriDemitri Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oftentimes "handwritten" letters are actually printed, just using a font that looks like it was handwritten. People pay a lot more attention to mail that looks like it was personalized especially for them.

Chances are it's just spam and when you get a chance, look close, it's probably not actually handwritten.

Demitri on
    timmy testey
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Urgh, Zealots.

"Zergling insurance plan" my arse.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Demitri wrote:
    Oftentimes "handwritten" letters are actually printed, just using a font that looks like it was handwritten. People pay a lot more attention to mail that looks like it was personalized especially for them.

Chances are it's just spam and when you get a chance, look close, it's probably not actually handwritten.

When I got mine, you could see the depressions from the ball-point pen. It's not unlikely that it was hand-addressed, at least. These people have a lot of time on their hands.

Doc on
  • Options
    LetukkaLetukka Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    NO, theres nothing you can do to them not getting your address..
    Just throw it in trash and ignore incoming spam from these "jews" (I don`t know the english word for them but in my country they go around the doors telling ppl who are not interested about gsus and angels and shit)..
    It`s some government conspiracy :lol:

Letukka on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Letukka wrote:
    Just throw it in trash and ignore incoming spam from these "jews" (I don`t know the english word for them but in my country they go around the doors telling ppl who are not interested about gsus and angels and shit)..
    I assure you, "jew" is absolutely the least appropriate word to use there concievably possible in English.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    LetukkaLetukka Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [/quote]
    I assure you, "jew" is absolutely the least appropriate word to use there concievably possible in English.[/quote]

I know it`s not "jew" (no offence for jewish peeps)

But I seriously don`t remember the word for those dudes that come to your house to praise gsus..

If my comments offended someone/someones religion I`m sorry

Never intented

Letukka on
  • Options
    Wombthrasher DeathmetalWombthrasher Deathmetal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keep the letter and envelope. That way if it is a harassment issue that continues, and not some random letter, you'll have documents and postage dates.

In all likelihood though, it probably is some random letter sent off by some organization.

Wombthrasher Deathmetal on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Letukka wrote:
    I know it`s not "jew" (no offence for jewish peeps)

But I seriously don`t remember the word for those dudes that come to your house to praise gsus..
    You're probably thinking of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Letukka wrote:

I am sorry but this is the funniest shit I ever came across on PA.

And yeah, I'd ignore it. It will become a problem when he's sending you more shit.

#14 on
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Letukka wrote:

borat_narrowweb__300x495,0.jpg
    Demitri wrote:

having a hand written letter from these nut jobs is not too far fetched.. i seriously doubt his girlfriend was duped by "handwriting font lookalike"

Gotcha Force on