As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So SE++, I thought I was going to die tonight...

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Social Entropy++
...but I did not. Our department was low on manpower for the swings, so it was just myself and another safety officer and a single police patrol officer on duty for our entire campus and housing areas. My partner and I were securing buildings around a quad for the evening while the patrol officer was doing a motorist in distress call on the other side of campus when all of sudden dispatch informs us a fire alarm was going off in a nearby building. A building that stores several labs with hazardous waste plus our garage maintenance shops. As the other units are further away, I rush over to the building. This isn't too rare, our fire systems are a little excitable and we get false alarms often. I'm thinking this is another one.

It's not. Through doors and windows, I spy white billowing smoke. As I'm advising Dispatch and opening a door, my partner arrives on the other side of the building. I'm shouting in the entryway, trying to hear anything, when I hear someone shouting something that involves "Get me out!". At the same time, my partner comes over the radio that we have a chemical fire. I shout for the guy to come towards my voice and all I get is thumping. Our patrol officer arrives on scene and I let him know I've got someone inside. He ducks in without a moment's pause and I follow right behind. That stuff instantly starts burning as we breath and it's got a horrid smell. I'm thinking "Fuck, we are dead. This is some kind of burn-off from those huge ceramic baking ovens inside." It was a real fine powder. That shit was causing us to start hacking and we couldn't see a fucking thing. It was like a fucking movie, or some kind of chemical weapon.

Barely able to see, we find the hysterical guy and rush him out. While doing so, we find empty alcohol bottles and trash everywhere. Evacuating outside, we stumble upon the cause.... an empty chemical fire extinguisher. Turns out, someone got a bit tipsy and decided that firing a huge commercial extinguisher inside a tiny hallway would be fun.

Also, it turns out that those fucking commercial chemical extinguishers suck fucking ass to breath in. As I'm sitting here, I can still taste it. My entire uniform is caked in fine white powder and my skin feels itchy. This is about seven hours since the event now. Hoo-fucking-ray for drunk homeless/college people.

So SE++, when have you almost died but didn't?

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    flipped a 4Runner forward, end over end, into a ditch

rolled an Oldsmobile into a tree

had a gun waved around threateningly near me that was then fired into the ceiling

appendix burst in the fucking rain forest

thread over, thanks for playing

Skull Man on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    fireman chokes on fire extinguisher dust that has nothing to do with fire he is fighting

that's pretty jagged little pill

Killjoy on
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tl;dr plz

Graves on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    please try harder to die next time

Qorzm on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Killjoy wrote: »
    fireman chokes on fire extinguisher dust

Not fire, police. Once the FD got there, they went in with full suits to confirm it was fire extinguisher material. I feel bad for our maintenance department, the entire building is fucking caked.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The first time I ever drove anything, it was my dad's truck

We were driving and we got to this turn and I hit it too late and the back swung out over the edge of a cliff and we almost fell off it

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    Killjoy wrote: »
    fireman chokes on fire extinguisher dust

Not fire, police. Once the FD got there, they went in with full suits to confirm it was fire extinguisher material. I feel bad for our maintenance department, the entire building is fucking caked.

words like partner and patrol should have tipped me off

good on you for not being dead

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Skull Man wrote: »

had a gun waved around threateningly near me that was then fired into the ceiling

Jesus. Are you trying to die?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    one time i swallowed a cyanide pill except then i found out it was just a placebo

well it was not a very good placebo i tell you what

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    no, man

I'm just trying to live.

Skull Man on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That guy... Brainleech, or something, should post in this thread.

I'm pretty sure he got shot around ten times in Iraq and survived

Moriveth on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I took a single lane 25 mph off-ramp at 60 mph. Wasn't paying attention. It was fun learning how to drift- I thank the gaming industry.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Everybody knows that Stale can likely top anyone on this subject.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    no, man

I'm just trying to live.

Something should be exploding behind you while you say this.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    was in the passenger seat of a Ford Explorer that rolled

wasn't wearing my seatbelt

not wearing my seatbelt saved my life

the wook on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My cousin, who's in the army, was in a jeep in Iraq when it drove over a

I think it's called an IED?

Everyone in the jeep but him died.

He walked away, literally without a scratch.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the wook wrote: »
    was in the passenger seat of a Ford Explorer that rolled

wasn't wearing my seatbelt

not wearing my seatbelt saved my life

Gorram ford exploders, always doing barrel rolls.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was four I accidentally jumped through a plate glass screen door and fell on top of all the shards. Not a scratch.

Fell off a third story balcony onto a paved driveway. Totally fine.

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tonight at work we got a call on the walkie "Someone says theres a car on fire in the parking lot" so of course we all rush outside. And yep, a car lit on fire and spread to the one next to it. We shut down all the movies and tried to find the people with the on fire car. The one who's care was the original flamer shout "NOT AGAIN" which leads me to believe he is an idiot for driving around in a car prone to catching fire.

Then as the Fire Department got there, one exploded. I didn't almost die but it was really, really, fucking cool. Though it hurt the fuck out of my ears.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was in a bad car accident when I was about 4. The car flipped, and thanks to a defective car-seat I hit the windshield. I still have scars on my knee and a few big ones on my head from it. If the ambulance came any later I'd probably be dead.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Tonight at work we got a call on the walkie "Someone says theres a car on fire in the parking lot" so of course we all rush outside. And yep, a car lit on fire and spread to the one next to it. We shut down all the movies and tried to find the people with the on fire car. The one who's care was the original flamer shout "NOT AGAIN" which leads me to believe he is an idiot for driving around in a car prone to catching fire.

Then as the Fire Department got there, one exploded. I didn't almost die but it was really, really, fucking cool. Though it hurt the fuck out of my ears.

Holy shit, that is awesome.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I recently was in the passenger seat of a Yukon that rolled onto it's back and into a ditch

It was probably the single scariest experience of my life

Walked away without a single scratch, though the car was totalled and we had just got it in August and I really loved that goddamn car

It still makes me sad to think about it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One time I almost fought a mid-size mountain lion with a novelty ninja sword. It eventually slunk away.

I was a little drunk and kept telling my friends "this is gonna be an adventure!"

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a really bad cold.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

NOT AGAIN made that story

the wook on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    One time I almost fought a mid-size mountain lion with a novelty ninja sword. It eventually slunk away.

I was a little drunk and kept telling my friends "this is gonna be an adventure!"

See this is why I don't like to get drunk

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did I ever tell you about the time I died?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm still debating whether or not to tell the stereotypical "attacked by wolves" yarn

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Skull Man just wants to be the next Stale. Poking all his appendices to see which one'll pop.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I haven't been really close to death since I was in the womb

Janson on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i was a caesarean birth and the surgeon cut my head open with a scalpel

"whoops aren't i a butterfingers today"

cool scar on my temple though

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh yeah, I almost died before I was born because the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck

That was something

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Not at all threatening but movies and yelling reminds me of one time.

A friend of mine and 5 or so of his old buddies were going to see X-Men 3. Honestly some of the longest previews I've ever seen. Took for damn ever for the movie to get going. Once it starts rolling "Columbia? Imagine pictures? Is... is that right? Where's the big red Marvel intro?"

THE DA VINCI CODE

Boooooooooooooooooooo! After a minute of booing, it devolves into laughing at the new shadow puppet show someone is treating us to. So they stop the movie and some usher or projectionist comes in to explain things. "Sorry about that, we'll have things--" And some guy in the front row stands up, turns to all of us, throws his fist in the air and yells "Let's eat his heart!"

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I stopped breathing at less than a month old, during the American Music Awards when they used to be aired in January/February.

Ended up in the hospital for like a month.

Thankfully, no long term complications from that.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well I can see why

It's the American Music Awards, I'd stop breathing too

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Joon wrote: »
    And some guy in the front row stands up, turns to all of us, throws his fist in the air and yells "Let's eat his heart!"

I worked at a movie theater before. It gets like this, sometimes. We had this manager with the nickname of 'Rage', who had been reputed to chuck a broom at an usher one time. Like a javelin.

Edit: Oh God, I just remembered when one customer came running out of theater saying somebody was acting suspicious, and that he probably had a bomb. I had to get the manager and have her explain how the poor guy is a regular customer, and that he always carries his backpack to the theater.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Joon wrote: »

Not at all threatening but movies and yelling reminds me of one time.

A friend of mine and 5 or so of his old buddies were going to see X-Men 3. Honestly some of the longest previews I've ever seen. Took for damn ever for the movie to get going. Once it starts rolling "Columbia? Imagine pictures? Is... is that right? Where's the big red Marvel intro?"

THE DA VINCI CODE

Boooooooooooooooooooo! After a minute of booing, it devolves into laughing at the new shadow puppet show someone is treating us to. So they stop the movie and some usher or projectionist comes in to explain things. "Sorry about that, we'll have things--" And some guy in the front row stands up, turns to all of us, throws his fist in the air and yells "Let's eat his heart!"

Joon this story is amazing

The only way it could be better is if someone had yelled out "KALI MAAAAA"

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i was on a flight to california, and it was dark by the time we were coming in for a landing, and about, oh i'd say 70 or so feet from the ground the plane begins to violently wobble from side to side, first the right side wing dipping drastically towards the ground, and then the left, only managing to level off right before we touched down.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fell of balcony, broke my neck, spent 3 months in a Halo jacket. O, and stitches on the top of my head.

Worst part: it was a first story balcony, and I bounced off a sun screen. I'm a wuss.

L*2*G*X on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Well I can see why

It's the American Music Awards, I'd stop breathing too

Every year for as long as I can remember when the AMAs were still on at that time of the year, my parents would remind me of this event. Without fail.

Its like they were regretting something

:(
    Another unrelated story, my older brother had a breach birth or something. Anyway, the point is, he was coming out feet first and could have died, so they had to turn him around inside. And make sure the umbilical cord didn't choke him. Crazy shit.

Goose! on