Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The '09 forumer opinion thread

• Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Also everyone get Tribes 2

It is time

motherfuckingwar.png
  • Skull ManSkull Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tube did you see what I said about you

• BelruelBelruel naw Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    also guys i am the worst girl, i have never even finished a jane austen book

3DS friendcode: 2380-4618-2503
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    my favorite part of Hunter is that you really can run whatever style of game you want. You want to do something like Supernatural, where it's just a bunch of dudes shooting ghosts in the face with rock salt? Sure. Want to do something like Delta Green, as part of a secret government agency hunting down aberrations? Go. How about a secret order of the Catholic Church, taking out demons and exorcising evil? Okay!

it's great.
    I have never played the new hunter but can't you do any tabletop game like this?

Werewolf and Vampire kind of lock you into the Clan/Tribe bullshit and you end up at the very least affiliated with external stuff and all that.

Hunter doesn't work like that at all.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Skull Man wrote: »
    wuthering heights was basically the Twilight of it's time

trashy romance garbage that masquerades as something more important than it is

holy shit I was in the PROCESS of typing that jane austen is basically stephanie meyer

emily bronte wrote wuthering heights

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jesus this list is immense.
    Removed people if I didn't recognize the name or don't have enough of an opinion to say much either way... or if it's just better if I don't say anything. =)
    Spoiler:

OK that took fucking forever. I'll try to do the rest later.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    also i hated wuthering heights, but i hated Return of the Native even more!

also teefs yes we can be friends, let's go to the waffle house

but i don't want diptherea

chik-fil-a?
    vegetarian brotigone

uh... thai food?

if not then forget it we can't be friends
    sounds good brosephine

33aqfwk.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    quoth- this woman is fantastic and likes things that are good

but she likes jane austen though

man pip why you gotta hate

hey bel you are the coolest, big bee hugs

hugs :D

also t javen- that is like women complaining that dudes like monster trucks and bears fighting

point, but to be fair I've met very very few women who were not into monster trucks and bears fighting.

guys just called dibs on all the universally awesome things.

bar-cc-1.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only "classic" I really like is Treasure Island. I'll tolerate others, and Sherlock Holmes is good, of course, but Robert Louis Stevenson knocked it out of the park with that one.

that's not even that old, jesus christ

there are like several millennia of writings that predate stevenson

“Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    Site | The Miami Grindstone | Twitter | Dropbox | Picture by Galen Dara
  • Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FAQ wrote: »
    guys Heathcliff just lies down and wills himself to die

he is a complete badass

More like goes into a Kryptonian trance as to seem dead, but in fact survived long enough to not only cause "ghostly" ruckus but also to defeat General Zod. Then he departs the world, no longer being needed.

feets.jpg
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited January 2009

no I don't really read these

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am apparently a polite, pixel arting, android who is either well-liked or not known at all.

No mention of pokemon at all? I guess we have better folks to level that description on maybe.

• Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jordyn wrote: »
    Volyu- Pretty cute.

Shoe- HELLO SHOE! HOW IS YOUR WIFE?

SHE IS GOOD I AM SORRY YOU TWO DID NOT GET TO WORK ON YOUR GLUTES OR WHATEVER TOGETHER

Maybe next time. Football season starts in April!

t Wombat, I only vaguely remember what you look like.

I see blew your miiind.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    i liked jane eyre but i'm not sure why

none of the characters were especially likeable

my girlfriend was reading emma and exclaimed, 'i hate everyone in this book, why do i want to read it so much'

oh man i love emma

i loved it when it was Clueless also

i like how many movies have been shakespeare or classic novles

10 things i hate about you, clueless, whichever one was 12th night

• JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tube- I like talking to him sometimes, but I don't really feel like going out of my way to do it.

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my favorite part of Hunter is that you really can run whatever style of game you want. You want to do something like Supernatural, where it's just a bunch of dudes shooting ghosts in the face with rock salt? Sure. Want to do something like Delta Green, as part of a secret government agency hunting down aberrations? Go. How about a secret order of the Catholic Church, taking out demons and exorcising evil? Okay!

it's great.
    I have never played the new hunter but can't you do any tabletop game like this?

Werewolf and Vampire kind of lock you into the Clan/Tribe bullshit and you end up at the very least affiliated with external stuff and all that.

Hunter doesn't work like that at all.
    Eh. I never really followed all that if I didn't want to. It was pretty easy to modify the rules to break out of the mold they try to keep you in.

But then again, that's really different from a game where you don't have to modify anything and are still able to make what you want. So I can see where you are coming from.

Still, not like I'll ever play a white wolf game, so it hardly even matters. Stupid friends being dnd purists.

• thorgotthorgot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    neville i just wanted to throw some veronica mars love in there, but i guess buffy would have been more appropriate

we're still good

campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    i liked jane eyre but i'm not sure why

none of the characters were especially likeable

my girlfriend was reading emma and exclaimed, 'i hate everyone in this book, why do i want to read it so much'

oh man i love emma

i loved it when it was Clueless also

i like how many movies have been shakespeare or classic novles

10 things i hate about you, clueless, whichever one was 12th night

that one with amanda bynes crossdressing, i never saw it

but i love the other two, and i didn't even really like Taming of the Shrew

i have a soft spot in my care chip for Romeo + Juliet because of the guy who played Mercutio

“Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dely Apple wrote: »
    FAQ wrote: »
    guys Heathcliff just lies down and wills himself to die

he is a complete badass

More like goes into a Kryptonian trance as to seem dead, but in fact survived long enough to not only cause "ghostly" ruckus but also to defeat General Zod. Then he departs the world, no longer being needed.

man I didn't get that from it at all

that book is awesome!

edited January 2009
    Tube- I like talking to him sometimes, but I don't really feel like going out of my way to do it.

Jordyn - I feel like I have to be nice to her because she's married to gabe.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the way literature is taught in academia is pretty strange

just because something is old and was popular does not necessarily mean it is significant and has to be analyzed and written about

i mean

if you are going to med school you might learn how the ancient aztecs relieved cranial pressure by drilling holes in people's heads

but it's not a requirement to learn how to do that first so that you can learn how medicine is practiced now

edited January 2009
    i have a soft spot in my care chip for Romeo + Juliet because of the guy who played Mercutio

you should watch Oz and Lost

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The story begins in Corey's bedroom. A hand reaches in and snatches her piggy bank from her dresser. The theft is witnessed by Papa Smurf, who alerts the other cartoon characters in the room (namely Garfield, Alf, Baby Kermit, Winnie the Pooh, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and finally Slimer).

The cartoon characters track down the thief and are appalled when they discover that it is Corey's big brother, Michael. Minutes later, Corey comes into the room looking for her piggy bank. She finds it smashed on Michael's bed, as well as a strange box. When she asks what is in it, Michael refuses to tell her and hides the box under the bed. Simon opens it and identifies its contents as marijuana. Meanwhile, Corey expresses her concerns about Michael's change in behavior. He storms out of the house. The cartoon characters (Except Pooh) quickly realise that something will have to be done about Michael's addiction and that they are the ones to do it.

At a video arcade, Michael is smoking marijuana with his friends and Smoke (an anthropromorphic cloud of smoke who serves as the main antagonist of the special). When they hear police sirens, they run off. Michael and Smoke are chased into an alleyway by what appears to be a policeman. Smoke disappears through the wall, telling Michael that 'at times like this, he's on his own'. As the policeman's shadow approaches, it is revealed that its owner is in fact, Bugs Bunny wearing a policeman's hat. Smoke comes back and mocks Michael for running from a cartoon rabbit, but Bugs traps him in a trash can.

Bugs finds Michael's reefer butt and asks him how he got started on marijuana. Michael claims to have started because he wanted to. Bugs doesn't believe Michael and takes him into a time machine which he claims to have borrowed from Wile E. Coyote. Smoke escapes the trash can and follows Michael into the time machine. Bugs takes Michael back to the day when he first started doing drugs, and reminds him that rather than wanting to get started on drugs, he was bullied into doing it by his so called friends.

Back at the house, Michael's father notes that two of his beers are missing, but eventually decides that he drank them last night while watching football (in fact, Michael stole them). Meanwhile, Michael's mother expresses her concerns about Michael to Corey and asks her if there is anything wrong, to which Corey reluctantly replies no. Pooh comes to life soon after (much to Corey's amazement) and asks her why she didn't tell her mother that she was worried about Michael. Corey explains that if she tells and Michael gets in trouble, she will be the first one he will suspect. Pooh admits that this may happen, but asks Corey to think about what will happen to Michael if she doesn't tell. Corey tries to explain things to her father, but this attempt is unsuccessful.

In the park, one of Michael's friends says that she can buy them all Crack for ten dollars. Michael is unsure if he should follow her example and attempts to leave. But Smoke steals his wallet and tosses it to the friend, who runs off with it down an alleyway. Michael gives chase but falls down a manhole with Smoke. There, they are greeted by Michelangelo, Baby Kermit, Baby Piggy and Baby Gonzo. The Muppet babies take Michael on a roller-coaster ride through a drug inflicted human brain. At the end of their ride, Michael realises that the brain they just toured through is his brain and that they are currently inside him while he is about to fall off a skateboard. The Muppet babies escape from the brain, but Michael and Smoke are left behind.

Michael comes to at the feet of Huey, Dewey and Louie, who ask him why he never said no to drugs before. Michael says it was because he didn't want to, but the trio can tell that he is lying and that he really doesn't know how to say no. Together with most of the cartoon characters to appear in the special previously, the ducklings sing the song Wonderful Ways to Say No.

Michael wakes up in his own bedroom and dismisses his whole experience as a nightmare. At that moment, Corey comes into the room and tells Michael that Pooh wants to know why he never talks to their parents anymore. Michael tells her to tell Pooh to mind his own business and throws her out of the room. Corey runs off in tears.

Michael instantly regrets his violent behavior but Smoke comes out from under the bed and insists that he did the right thing. Michael points out that Corey is his little sister and that he doesn't know what's right anymore. As he stares into a mirror inside his marijuana box, his reflection is replaced with Alf's, who pulls him through the box into a hall of mirrors. Smoke attempts to follow but is left behind.

Inside the Hall of Mirrors, Alf shows Michael his reflection of how he is today, then his reflection if he doesn't stop taking drugs: a wizened, corpse-like version of himself. When Michael insists that he could quit if he wants to and that he is in charge of his own life, Alf takes him to see 'The Man in Charge'. This is revealed to be Smoke, and the influence he has on Michael's brain.

Corey and Pooh re-enter Michael's room, Michael's marijuana box. She picks it up and wonders what's inside it. Smoke appears and tempts her to open the box. When Pooh tries to persuade Corey otherwise, he is thrown into a cabinet by Smoke. Corey opens the box but is unsure of its contents. Smoke however, reveals that it is what is causing Michael's change in behavior. Corey reasons that if she does what Michael does, then maybe they could have fun together, like they used to before Michael started doing drugs.

Meanwhile, Michael is running terrified through a horror themed carnival, with Smoke's words of temptation ringing in his ears and the cartoon characters apparently ignorant of his plight. Finally, he comes to a fortune telling tent and asks the stall tender (Daffy Duck) to see his future for him. Daffy's crystal ball shows Michael lying on his death bed, his face even more ravaged than when Alf showed it to him. Michael is horrified by the prospect of this being his future, but Daffy tells him that it can be avoided if he stops taking drugs.

Michael runs out of a nearby door back into his bedroom, just in time to stop Corey from using the drugs herself. Michael tells Corey that he never wants to see her taking drugs ever again. But Corey points out that he (Michael), does that sort of thing all the time. Michael admits that he was wrong but is unsure if he can change. Corey advises him to talk about his problems to their parents and to her. Smoke tries to persuade Michael otherwise, but Michael throws him out of the window, as he feels that he 'has listened to him long enough'. As he lands in a dump truck, Smoke vows to return. Michael sadly admits that Smoke is right and that he will try to return, Corey agrees but says that 'when he gets here we'll be ready for him'.

The special ends with Michael and Corey going to tell their parents about Michael's drug problem.

xmassig2.gif
    edited January 2009
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    neville wrote: »
    Jesus this list is immense.
    Removed people if I didn't recognize the name or don't have enough of an opinion to say much either way... or if it's just better if I don't say anything. =)
    Spoiler:

OK that took fucking forever. I'll try to do the rest later.

You scare me a bit. You're one of those folks who knows like, everyone. I still have that "just-stopped-lurking-and-started-posting" mindset and can't seem to shake it.

• BelruelBelruel naw Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    marshmallow- so fantastic, i love his company, he is funny, and talented and just a very cool guy overall.

3DS friendcode: 2380-4618-2503
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive Damn these electric sex pants! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only "classic" I really like is Treasure Island. I'll tolerate others, and Sherlock Holmes is good, of course, but Robert Louis Stevenson knocked it out of the park with that one.

that's not even that old, jesus christ

there are like several millennia of writings that predate stevenson

Well, OK, if we're going beyond the Jane Austen years, then there's a bunch of stuff that I like - The Iliad, Beowulf, a whole fuckton of poetry.

Another successful post, thanks to the power of Spacestar Ordering™!
    edited January 2009

but i don't like Lost

i will try Oz though, one day

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not as scary as most people seem to think I am.

Honestly.

I'm lovely, really.

Wonderful at parties.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As a lurker for the last couple years, I either haven't made many enemies or can't remember who most of them are, so if I could even remember the names of posters, they were at least "cool".
    Spoiler:

Think I got this in on time, glad about that.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Cowboy Fwankenstein Livin' That DreamRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

no I don't really read these

Tube, did you not care what I wrote about you?

darthsig.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Volyu- Pretty cute.

SHE IS GOOD I AM SORRY YOU TWO DID NOT GET TO WORK ON YOUR GLUTES OR WHATEVER TOGETHER

did you get that thing I told you to get yet

not yet it's sort of an expensive book and I keep hoping it'll come through work but it hasn't yet

xmassig2.gif
    edited January 2009

just because something is old and was popular does not necessarily mean it is significant and has to be analyzed and written about

i mean

if you are going to med school you might learn how the ancient aztecs relieved cranial pressure by drilling holes in people's heads

but it's not a requirement to learn how to do that first so that you can learn how medicine is practiced now

pony just

just take some quiet time ok

• The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Shoe what the hell is that

33aqfwk.jpg
    edited January 2009

i mean

not all professors are like this, but a lot of shitty high school teachers are

i feel privileged to have had a classy lady who made me read Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World and Candide and other delightful treasures

edited January 2009
    Volyu- Pretty cute.

did you get that thing I told you to get yet

not yet it's sort of an expensive book and I keep hoping it'll come through work but it hasn't yet

it is literally never going to come through work.

edited January 2009

but i don't like Lost

i will try Oz though, one day

the show is an ensemble cast but it cuts away to him narrating themes and et cetera

it's really one of the best parts of the show

also he's in a wheelchair!

• RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    pony are you aware that medicine =/= literature

it's a pretty important lesson

Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
    edited January 2009

i mean

ancient literature is taught because they are strong examples with many layers and prime for learning how to analyze things

also works like beowulf have certain technical elements which are unique to their genre or era and are worth learning about

basically everything you write or read interfaces with every other thing that has been written, so it`s important to know the big famous ones, even if you`re just analyzing or writing things of your own

This discussion has been closed.