Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Green Tortoise 2009: Sorry for missing you all.

12346

Posts

  • cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User
    edited August 2009
    We should make a little list of who's staying at GT, and then post it in the common area so that people can write in their room #'s or something...?

    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • nikasaurnikasaur Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I'm curious... say I wanted to stay for a night. This sounds incredibly fun but also very strange, and this thread has had both good and bad reports of staying. I suppose it's all part of the FUN, but would you recommend such sleeping appointments?

  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Good news and bad news folks. "cafeganesha" just offered me a 3 day pass that her friend is not able to use! That means I will still be able to see many of you. The bad new is I still can't afford to stay at the GT. Maybe next year the staff with get their shit together and work out a deal with me.

  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What type of deal are you looking for on a room that's only $30 a night?

    PASig.gif
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    nikasaur wrote: »
    I'm curious... say I wanted to stay for a night. This sounds incredibly fun but also very strange, and this thread has had both good and bad reports of staying. I suppose it's all part of the FUN, but would you recommend such sleeping appointments?

    yes, but you're sol for this year, rooms were sold out many months ago.

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • DorkaliciousDorkalicious Registered User
    edited August 2009
    We should make a little list of who's staying at GT, and then post it in the common area so that people can write in their room #'s or something...?

    Sounds like a good idea.

  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User
    edited August 2009
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    nikasaur wrote: »
    I'm curious... say I wanted to stay for a night. This sounds incredibly fun but also very strange, and this thread has had both good and bad reports of staying. I suppose it's all part of the FUN, but would you recommend such sleeping appointments?

    yes, but you're sol for this year, rooms were sold out many months ago.

    Actually, a bunch of beds were canceled in the last couple of days, although they've probably already been filled again.

    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://www.hiseattle.org/ is a place you can try. hm but checking, they're full on the 5th.

  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok, so I'm writing up my packing list for PAX, and I've never stayed at a Hostel. What am I going to have to bring that I wouldn't need to bring if I was staying at a hotel?

    PASig.gif
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm writing up my packing list for PAX, and I've never stayed at a Hostel. What am I going to have to bring that I wouldn't need to bring if I was staying at a hotel?

    shit qs, i didn't know you were staying at the gt! all you need: soap on a rope! lawl.

    basic sleeping amenities are provided, but bring a towel and soap and shampoo, in addition to that which you would normally bring to a hotel.

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm writing up my packing list for PAX, and I've never stayed at a Hostel. What am I going to have to bring that I wouldn't need to bring if I was staying at a hotel?

    shit qs, i didn't know you were staying at the gt! all you need: soap on a rope! lawl.

    basic sleeping amenities are provided, but bring a towel and soap and shampoo, in addition to that which you would normally bring to a hotel.

    Boy, I be riding light & thin this year...

    PASig.gif
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Don't forget to bring a padlock! They provide lockers but I'm not sure they provide locks for them.

    Eye-Shuh - You should have won. period. I'm still in the Omegabat fan club!
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring a padlock! They provide lockers but I'm not sure they provide locks for them.

    You can rent a lock for 5 or 10 dollars. They also have padlocks available for sale in the vending machine near the front desk.

  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User
    edited August 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring a padlock! They provide lockers but I'm not sure they provide locks for them.

    About how big are the lockers, for reference?

    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MoreGrease wrote: »
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring a padlock! They provide lockers but I'm not sure they provide locks for them.

    About how big are the lockers, for reference?

    They are 2 under every bunk and are pretty fucking big. I was able to fit a large suitcase, a travel bag and some other assorted crap in one with plenty of room to spare.

    You could probably fit, like 3 dead bodies in there.

  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    MoreGrease wrote: »
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring a padlock! They provide lockers but I'm not sure they provide locks for them.

    About how big are the lockers, for reference?

    They are 2 under every bunk and are pretty fucking big. I was able to fit a large suitcase, a travel bag and some other assorted crap in one with plenty of room to spare.

    You could probably fit, like 3 dead bodies in there.

    Chopped or un-chopped?

    PASig.gif
  • cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Bring shower shoes!!

    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I will make a sign to put somewhere in the commons area of the hostel, where all PAXers can write in their name, forum handle, twitter, and room number. Look for it! I should be arriving Thurs early afternoon.

    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    great news! well, for me, anyway. I guess someone cancelled their reservation, because i called up the gt last night and they allowed me to add thursday to my reservation. so i will be checking in thursday afternoon with my good friend and forum member, deiru.

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i'll be at GT tuesday and wednesday. so yeah. good times :p

  • kdnewtonkdnewton Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Kind of last minute, but my wife just asked me "Are there sheets/blankets on the beds? It's a hostel, I wouldn't be surprised if there are none".

    So, who has stayed at the GT who can answer this? Should I bring a sleeping bag and pillow?

  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i'm at the GT right now, and there's a bedsheet, and a blanket and a pillow.

  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User
    edited September 2009
    kdnewton wrote: »
    Kind of last minute, but my wife just asked me "Are there sheets/blankets on the beds? It's a hostel, I wouldn't be surprised if there are none".

    So, who has stayed at the GT who can answer this? Should I bring a sleeping bag and pillow?

    Come now, it's a hostel, not a soup kitchen. Or bus shelter. Or something. Point is, they have proper beds.

    I look forward to that sign up sheet, cafeganesha. Need to find some fellow GTers to hang with during the off-hours. :)

    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • kdnewtonkdnewton Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Thx for the replies. Glad to see the wifi works. Any sort of footlocker for our valuables? Even one where we have to provide the lock?

    Edit: Sorry, I see the post from eye_shuh earlier on. Am browser the f0s on my PSP, so I'm trying to keep it together :P

  • DorkaliciousDorkalicious Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Well, @scoop20906 and I are here. Our room isn't ready but going out to grab grub.

  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So how was everything?

  • kdnewtonkdnewton Registered User
    edited September 2009
    GT was great!

    I was happy to see a spread of food Thursday night when I arrived. Free food Thursdays (we had Tortillas, Tacos, etc) and Sundays (spaghetti). Toast and eggs (cook yourself) every morning. Of course, those of us who went knew that so I suppose I'm preaching to the choir.

    My friend and I have both said that for the next PAX, we'll stay at the GT.

    Pro: Wifi, public Macs and Linux computers, sheets and pillows on beds, 4 electrical outlets per bed

    Cons: Toilets are "tied" to the showers so if one shower is being used, that's also one less toilet that can be used.
    Wifi was flaky. Public PCs often disconnected from network.

    The staff were friendly. Someone was on hand 24 hours a day. You could come in any hour of the night.

    The walk to the Washington Convention Center was roughly 10 minutes, and an easy walk.

    Highly recommended.

  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I can not get special arrangements for next year, I might discourage people from staying. The staff totally flaked out on me this year (before I was resigned not to go). I am going to see if Koo or someone can work with them to get some sort of group rate going.

  • kdnewtonkdnewton Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Yes, actually. That was the first downside of staying at GT. We were asked to pay for the stay before getting our room key (understandable) but it was the full rate. When asked about the PAX discount (as you'll see in my first post of this thread) they were no longer honoring the "we'll discuss the PAX discount when the time comes". There was no discount.

    $130 for 4 nights is better than $130 per night at a cheap hotel, but is still a kick in the junk when you consider that PAX brought the place to capacity and months in advance at that.

  • redhaloredhalo Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Of course, they also sold out regardless of a discount. If I were a business man, I wouldn't lower the price either, there's no incentive. They would still sell out.

    They were a fun place though. I got to teach a Canadian down for Bumpershoot how to play Dominion.

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    gt was kinda shit for me. way too hot, roommate stole my room key, so i lost my $20 deposit, i was on the top bunk, locked my key in the box, and my cell phone fell down below the beds at 3:30 am the first night, but at least the place had a roof!

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    kdnewton wrote: »
    Yes, actually. That was the first downside of staying at GT. We were asked to pay for the stay before getting our room key (understandable) but it was the full rate. When asked about the PAX discount (as you'll see in my first post of this thread) they were no longer honoring the "we'll discuss the PAX discount when the time comes". There was no discount.

    $130 for 4 nights is better than $130 per night at a cheap hotel, but is still a kick in the junk when you consider that PAX brought the place to capacity and months in advance at that.

    Last year everyone got a kick-ass party for the same $130. It just seems that this year they were unresponsive and rude to me. All I am saying is that; if the management is not more responsive and accommodating, I would discourage people from staying. I could easily host a party somewhere else if they are not interested in our business.

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the fact still remains that they are cheap as hell. $30/night in a shitty room > ~$150/night in a really nice room when you don't have much to spend.

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, for me it was the perfect place to come back to shower and pass out at 3 AM after a day of walking the convention and a night of concerts, regardless of the price. Also, the free Thursday dinner was an absolute godsend after a day on the PAXtrain. Highly recommended here, too.

    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • DorkaliciousDorkalicious Registered User
    edited September 2009
    GT was alright. It seemed REALLY busy this year compared to last year. This year I caught my roommates trying to peep in on me while I was suffering from the early symptoms of the PAX plague (I had the privacy curtains pulled shut) -- dude kinda creeped me out. And, had another set of roomies that were cyclist that had the funkiest (effin' PU) clothes I've ever smelled spread across the room right next to our bottom bunk one night.

    GT is cheap and considering you don't spend much time there its worth the price but I've come to value my privacy and sanity and think a 3rd year in a row there I just can't do if we make the trip back to Seattle. Think if we do it again we'll try to get other PAX people to share the room with us rather than taking our chances with total strangers.

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GT was alright. It seemed REALLY busy this year compared to last year. This year I caught my roommates trying to peep in on me while I was suffering from the early symptoms of the PAX plague (I had the privacy curtains pulled shut) -- dude kinda creeped me out. And, had another set of roomies that were cyclist that had the funkiest (effin' PU) clothes I've ever smelled spread across the room right next to our bottom bunk one night.

    GT is cheap and considering you don't spend much time there its worth the price but I've come to value my privacy and sanity and think a 3rd year in a row there I just can't do if we make the trip back to Seattle. Think if we do it again we'll try to get other PAX people to share the room with us rather than taking our chances with total strangers.

    for around $50/night, you can share a room in the sheraton or around with a few others. much nicer accomodations, way better shower (not to mention some water pressure!), and better breakfast and all that.

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    GT was alright. It seemed REALLY busy this year compared to last year. This year I caught my roommates trying to peep in on me while I was suffering from the early symptoms of the PAX plague (I had the privacy curtains pulled shut) -- dude kinda creeped me out. And, had another set of roomies that were cyclist that had the funkiest (effin' PU) clothes I've ever smelled spread across the room right next to our bottom bunk one night.

    GT is cheap and considering you don't spend much time there its worth the price but I've come to value my privacy and sanity and think a 3rd year in a row there I just can't do if we make the trip back to Seattle. Think if we do it again we'll try to get other PAX people to share the room with us rather than taking our chances with total strangers.

    for around $50/night, you can share a room in the sheraton or around with a few others. much nicer accomodations, way better shower (not to mention some water pressure!), and better breakfast and all that.

    This man speaks the truth, I spent a total of something like $190 for 4 nights in a very nice hotel.

  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Honestly I hated my stay at the GT and won't be staying their next year.

    Pro: Awesome roommates - room was filled with all PAX people so yay!
    Con: Rooms were musty and overly warm and i'm pretty sure they contributed to my horrid sickness, bunkers under bed were fucking annoying to access in a room that was barely wide enough to open said bunkers, didn't feel comfortable leaving even clothing out of bunker (not because of roommates but because of other patrons/staff)

    most of my issued with GT centered around the room, and for me, if i'm not comfortable in the room I'm not going to sleep well, so the GT does me no good as even a place to sleep for a couple hours.

    So next year, definitely gonna get a hotel room and a couple of roomates, yay for comfortable place to crash and non-sketchy cleaning staff!

    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

    the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tehnakki wrote: »
    Honestly I hated my stay at the GT and won't be staying their next year.

    Pro: Awesome roommates - room was filled with all PAX people so yay!
    Con: Rooms were musty and overly warm and i'm pretty sure they contributed to my horrid sickness, bunkers under bed were fucking annoying to access in a room that was barely wide enough to open said bunkers, didn't feel comfortable leaving even clothing out of bunker (not because of roommates but because of other patrons/staff)

    most of my issued with GT centered around the room, and for me, if i'm not comfortable in the room I'm not going to sleep well, so the GT does me no good as even a place to sleep for a couple hours.

    So next year, definitely gonna get a hotel room and a couple of roomates, yay for comfortable place to crash and non-sketchy cleaning staff!

    You haven't met many hotel cleaning staff people have you?

    PASig.gif
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    That's why real hotels come with a safe.

This discussion has been closed.