As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Media Bias

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I definitely think that it ought to be illegal to lie by intent or negligence on any news or informational program, or any program that could be mistaken as a news or informational program that does not have a disclaimer.

Except that once you go down this road, you start needing a legal definition of what is a news program and what isn't, and for that matter, what constitutes lying. In the current media environment I wouldn't be surprised if you wound up with zero "news" programs.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Gah, this thread made me think about Fox news again. They should have their right to free speech revoked.

Yeah, no. Even though I hate them.
    Didn't they win a lawsuit a few years back to the effect that the "News" is not required to contain "Facts"?

If I was going to draw the "free speech ends here" line (and I'm not willing to, personally), odds are Fox News would already be on the others side of it.

I definitely think that it ought to be illegal to lie by intent or negligence on any news or informational program, or any program that could be mistaken as a news or informational program that does not have a disclaimer.

It's damaging to both consumers AND non-consumers. It's like shooting fire in a crowded theater, which causes me to get trampled five miles away. I don't give a shit if people self-destruct (unless they ask for help), but I despise it when they try to bring me for the ride to hell.

You really want to make it illegal to lie in the news? Really?

So, like, a newscaster reports something unflattering about the government, and they can not only say "Nuh-uh!" they can also now fine you or arrest you for false reporting?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Gah, this thread made me think about Fox news again. They should have their right to free speech revoked.

Didn't they win a lawsuit a few years back to the effect that the "News" is not required to contain "Facts"?

If I was going to draw the "free speech ends here" line (and I'm not willing to, personally), odds are Fox News would already be on the others side of it.

It's damaging to both consumers AND non-consumers. It's like shooting fire in a crowded theater, which causes me to get trampled five miles away. I don't give a shit if people self-destruct (unless they ask for help), but I despise it when they try to bring me for the ride to hell.

So, like, a newscaster reports something unflattering about the government, and they can not only say "Nuh-uh!" they can also now fine you or arrest you for false reporting?

If it can be proven that it is incorrect and that the one making the claim was aware of the information that proves it to be incorrect.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    And in the mean time, the government has carte blanche to legally harass the news organization.

News stations blatantly lying is a bad thing, but government suppression of the media is a lot badder.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

If it is a provable lie, sure. I don't really see a social benefit to allow people to lie while claiming to be delivering news anymore than I see a social benefit to sell snake oil while claiming to be delivering a panacea. People who want to spout bullshit can put their "This program is not a news program and may contain information not properly verified or true," disclaimer on, just like herbal supplements are not intended to treat or prevent any specific disease.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's like shooting fire in a crowded theater, which causes me to get trampled five miles away.

The second amendment guarantees me the right to throw napalm wherever I damn well please.

moniker on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    It's like shooting fire in a crowded theater, which causes me to get trampled five miles away.

The second amendment guarantees me the right to throw napalm wherever I damn well please.

I hoped that I wouldn't be the only one to catch that. D&D never fails me.

MKR on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

I hoped that I wouldn't be the only one to catch that. D&D never fails me.

I'm pretty sure this is where I ought to do a PSA for well regulated sleeping patterns. :oops:

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

If it is a provable lie, sure. I don't really see a social benefit to allow people to lie while claiming to be delivering news anymore than I see a social benefit to sell snake oil while claiming to be delivering a panacea. People who want to spout bullshit can put their "This program is not a news program and may contain information not properly verified or true," disclaimer on, just like herbal supplements are not intended to treat or prevent any specific disease.

People sell snake oil and say untruthful things on the news all the time. The government doesn't put a stop to it because government intervention is pretty much the worst of all the remedies in most cases.

edit: the point is that within a week every show would have that disclaimer, because no media organization would be willing to defend itself against a parade of charges of falsehood. See: Rather, Dan.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Now, wait. I'm not so sure about the whole "news must be true" law, but there already are some regulations in this direction. Libel and slander could be used if the news was deceptive about certain people couldn't it? As for businesses, there are class action lawsuits regarding deceptive marketing and products all the damn time. It's not usually a criminal charge, but a civil regulation is still a law.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Now, wait. I'm not so sure about the whole "news must be true" law, but there already are some regulations in this direction. Libel and slander could be used if the news was deceptive about certain people couldn't it? As for businesses, there are class action lawsuits regarding deceptive marketing and products all the damn time. It's not usually a criminal charge, but a civil regulation is still a law.

Its civil law and you have to prove specific damage.

Deceptive marketing laws are basically an offshoot of contract law, where an informal contract is made at the purchase but one side did not live up to the bargain.

Libel and slander are in the same vein as vandalism, ones public image is a property with value and any damage done to that image can be recouped if damage is proven.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Its civil law and you have to prove specific damage.

Deceptive marketing laws are basically an offshoot of contract law, where an informal contract is made at the purchase but one side did not live up to the bargain.

Libel and slander are in the same vein as vandalism, ones public image is a property with value and any damage done to that image can be recouped if damage is proven.

Sure, so wouldn't the latter at least theoretically be viable. I mean, image is everything to a politician. If the media really managed to convince a sufficient number of people that Obama is a secret Muslim terrorist, wouldn't that in theory be grounds for a suit?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No. Political office isn't exactly something you can claim profit from...

Plus you're liable to get "political speech" exemptions or some such

Plus its all "someone might have said Obama is a Secret Muslim! We're just reporting what he said!"

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lets be honest, as much as you guys have it on for Obama, the media was very obviously in favor of him, and took every chance they could to make Palin look awful.

I dont really agree with either one, but if seriously think there wasn't any bias you are a fucking idiot.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1) Palin was awful
    2) Wright, Rezko, Ayers

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Lets be honest, as much as you guys have it on for Obama, the media was very obviously in favor of him, and took every chance they could to make Palin look awful.

I dont really agree with either one, but if seriously think there wasn't any bias you are a fucking idiot.

Which is why they took every effort to bury Reverend Wright, the 'controversy' with Rezko, the secret muslim crap, this chick, Ayers, &c. rather than devoting any time to it at all.

moniker on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You think they were really easy on Obama? Really? Were you paying attention?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Coverage of Palin was positive through her convention speech, at which point the few interviews she gave, which were objectively bad, ruined her.

Bias isn't having an opinion; it's having preconceptions and sticking to them.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »

I don't think they were "easy" on him, but there was tons more coverage of obama then there was Mcain/palin.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As long as she was just hateful everything was great. They love hateful, it's easy to cover.

Stupid and hateful is easy to mock. So they did.

Stupid, lazy, greedy. That's all you need to know about the media.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Yeah, there was a lot of bias. Toward ratings. Like all the stupid coverage of the stupid non-issues Obama had to deal with. Palin's coverage was at least about things that really did demonstrate how awful she is.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »

I don't think they were "easy" on him, but there was tons more coverage of obama then there was Mcain/palin.

They devoted time to actually showing an entire Palin rally in full for no real apparent reason other than hoping to catch some more stupid gaffes (from her or the crowd) live. If anything, towards the end McCain/Palin was getting a lot more coverage than they would have wanted because it kept exposing some of the utter stupid that was the last few weeks of the campaign spent in 'real' America with Joe the [job title].

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Honestly, Palin's complete lack of knowledge about or interest in foreign and domestic policy should have been enough to disqualify her.

MKR on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Sarah Palin really didn't need any help from the media to look bad. When you can't handle an interview with fucking Katie Couric you really just aren't ready for a national office.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Honestly, Palin's complete lack of knowledge about or interest in foreign and domestic policy should have been enough to disqualify her.

It did. They lost the election and she had a ~58% disapproval rating. Maybe more; I quit paying attention a few weeks before November.

moniker on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wish I could just quote my entire goddamn journalism textbook in this thread.

Suffice to say, I will not.

I read the OP and just wanted to uppercut a child. That is all.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just compare Palin's Couric interview with Obama's O'Reily interview. People whined about how it was the media's fault for the perception of Palin's performance, but Obama takes on Bill O'Reily and gets a "yeah, I guess he's an ok guy" out of him and nobody mentions it.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The textbook wouldn't be likely to mention the one bias the media does have. That bias isn't politically motivated anyway, though. Profit-bias.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The textbook wouldn't be likely to mention the one bias the media does have. That bias isn't politically motivated anyway, though. Profit-bias.

Yeah, there isn't a mention of profit-bia-oh wait, there are -chapters- devoted to the evolution of media through profit-bias in affecting all different mediums. It's something every journalist has to understand well now these days. We're still in the age of 'dying print' where everybody is getting used to being educated primarily in new media.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Yeah, there isn't a mention of profit-bia-oh wait, there are -chapters- devoted to the evolution of media through profit-bias in affecting all different mediums. It's something every journalist has to understand well now these days. We're still in the age of 'dying print' where everybody is getting used to being educated primarily in new media.

Well that's a bit of a surprise. Textbooks tend to try to paint a rosy view of their subject matter.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Well that's a bit of a surprise. Textbooks tend to try to paint a rosy view of their subject matter.

That has not been my experience.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Most of it tends to explain how it has affected the model of the usual radio station. How it affects the model of the normal local television channel. How it affects the model of the usual local newspaper. It is less mentioned in the textbooks how this changes the actual culture or coverage obtained as far as profit-bias goes, but it is extensively discussed in class, for sure.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It has been mine. The only exceptions were history texts.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Most of it tends to explain how it has affected the model of the usual radio station. How it affects the model of the normal local television channel. How it affects the model of the usual local newspaper. It is less mentioned in the textbooks how this changes the actual culture or coverage obtained as far as profit-bias goes, but it is extensively discussed in class, for sure.

That's essentially the reasoning behind the profit-bias. All the fancy tech shit we the public demand now is expensive and more difficult to learn how to build/maintain/operate. But media bias extends beyond journalism, the profit-bias is built into almost all media at this point. In some regions of the field it goes so far as to almost be censorship by the market (as opposed to by a government).

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

It has been mine. The only exceptions were history texts.

Even math textbooks? Well, OK, I guess they took out the canibalization of 9 by 7.

My problem with the whole "media bias" thing is that it's gotten news stations to not only present both sides of the argument, but both sides of the facts as well.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zython wrote: »
    My problem with the whole "media bias" thing is that it's gotten news stations to not only present both sides of the argument, but both sides of the facts as well.

The analogy that new stations have one person on to say it's raining outside and another to say it isn't, when the reporter should be able to stick their head out the door and see for themselves.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As long as she was just hateful everything was great. They love hateful, it's easy to cover.

they work for us.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Variable wrote: »

they work for us.

They give us as close as possible to exactly what we want or they go under. And it's possible to get pretty damned close.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Variable wrote: »

they work for us.

No, that's PBS. They work for their advertisers who make them appeal to us as much as possible.

You might think that it's a distinction without a difference, but there is a difference. Tote bags.

moniker on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I remember during the Anna Nicole Smith coverage a lot of people were complaining how much the media was focusing on it, but the response was "lol free market, they're just giving the people what they want," then a survey revealed most people were sick of it. The media gives what keeps it alive, but they aren't exactly maximizing their viewership.

Cervetus on