Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Media Bias

1234568

Posts

  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard" thread.

    If nothing else, she put Clinton's relatively minor gibbering into perspective. No matter what she or her campaign said or did, we can always fall back on "But she's better than Palin."

    Clinton's was more of a deer in the headlights retarded (Obama being the headlights). Palin had that kind of "I post on the Politico.com forums" retardedness.

    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    cats are douches
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.

    Treats Animals Right!
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I mean the obvious reason is that people who spend a lot of time around and reading about the news tend to have a more clear idea of what's actually going on in the world, which tends towards the Democratic Party. But clearly this isn't the accepted logic if you're a Republican who believes in liberal media bias.

    That's not exactly the "obvious reason". I think the reason has more to do with a common notion of reporters as being noble crusaders trying to save the world, which has a certain glamour which appeals to the same mindset that wishes to save the world via grand social programs.

    You know that most economists skew Republican, right? Do you take this to mean that clearly Republicans have the best ideas on the economy?

    The military skews Republican. Does this mean that the Republicans have the best ideas on defense and foreign policy?

    Actually, economists also tend to skew Democrat, just not as much because the economic systems that actually work are classified as heterodox and go untaught.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard" thread.

    If nothing else, she put Clinton's relatively minor gibbering into perspective. No matter what she or her campaign said or did, we can always fall back on "But she's better than Palin."

    Clinton's was more of a deer in the headlights retarded (Obama being the headlights). Palin had that kind of "I post on the Politico.com forums" retardedness.

    I think Palin would prefer Crosswalk or 123.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm having a hard time understanding how media could have reported her in a positive light.

    I mean, you could have watched nothing but Fox, and you'd still see a person who was so vastly inadequate for the job it was insulting. Her puff pieces were as unflattering as any "unfair" coverage.

  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard" thread.

    If nothing else, she put Clinton's relatively minor gibbering into perspective. No matter what she or her campaign said or did, we can always fall back on "But she's better than Palin."

    Clinton's was more of a deer in the headlights retarded (Obama being the headlights). Palin had that kind of "I post on the Politico.com forums" retardedness.

    I think Palin would prefer Crosswalk or 123.

    I think the standard line was "ah erm she has...*cough* executive experience"

  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.

    You're right, media bias killed her. The fact that she dodged the media for so long, sounded like an idiot when she finally spoke, and was by all accounts a stupidly unready candidate for the job she was seeking had nothing to do with it. The cognitive dissonance is astounding. Anyone who says Obama didn't get grilled by the media is a fucking idiot. Palin got off easy relatively speaking, and not a small amount of the negative press she got was her own fault.

    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.

    You've still failed to actually inject any solid evidence of all that media bias. Heck, the walking away impression of the MSNBC clip is that bias aside, the poor guy defending Palin had no substance. There was an entire segment where he just yells "did you ever see the clip!?" when asked about Palin's interview response of "I read all of them" when asked what news sources she reads. Given that it's an impossible answer and an obvious dodge, something other than "did you see the clip!?" as a defense would be appreciated. But apparently it's media bias to keep asking a question when it's being dodged.

    Here's the flat out issue: Palin is projecting random blogger's sins onto anyone. See her letter to ADN where she demands to know why they keep running stories about Trigg's actual mother not being Palin. Then note that ADN has never run any such story, and the only related stories they've EVER run were stories about how stupid that accusation is.

    She's randomly lashing out at anything with completely unsourced and factually incorrect information, and using that to create some gigantic straw man to attack instead of admitting the honest truth: the campaign was run horribly, and she was thrown into the media spotlight then taken away immediately, which gave reporters the only option of investigating her background, and then the choice was made to not actually answer shit about it. Then she wanders off an starts leading absolutely horrific rallies that even McCain starts flinching at.

    Pregnant Daughter? She brought it up, the media simply continued covering the story beyond the photo ops. Remember, the RNC are the ones who dragged her fiance out to the convention as a prop and threw him into the mainstream.

    Highschool Dropout status of fiance? No investigation here, he was thrown to the media for a feelgood interview and told them he'd dropped out. Oh, and Palin bitches out the ADN for this, too. Apparently later he enrolled in correspondence courses. Which means prior reporting on his status at the time is totally inappropriate. Or something.

    Her foreign policy? She's the one who pulled out that amazing shit about russia, the news just looked into it and found that her claims of trade delegations and such were bullshit.

    She lied, repeatedly, to the media. They did their jobs and went "uh, that's objectively not true." They covered her ongoing investigations, because they were ongoing investigations. They covered everythinig the campaign trotted out to be a media lightning rod (trigg, bristol, the fiance)

    The mismanagement here was that the McCain campaign thought that she could hold their own and suddenly backpedaled HARD and started attacking the media for having the audacity of covering a vice presidential candidate.

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Emanon wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.

    You're right, media bias killed her. The fact that she dodged the media for so long, sounded like an idiot when she finally spoke, and was by all accounts a stupidly unready candidate for the job she was seeking had nothing to do with it. The cognitive dissonance is astounding. Anyone who says Obama didn't get grilled by the media is a fucking idiot. Palin got off easy relatively speaking, and not a small amount of the negative press she got was her own fault.
    "In what context, Charlie?"

    If you can't sound like a reasonably competent adult in an interview with Charlie Gibson, you should probably be wearing a helmet at all times.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.

    Man, you need to either back up the shit you say in this thread or deal with the fact that you're wrong and stop making this pithy little quips trying to piss people off.

    Unless you are just a troll.

    Spoiler:
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.

    Emanon supports his points with incredibly handsome argumentation.

    Had to fix that for you, buddy. :P:P8-)

  • templewulftemplewulf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.

    Yes, Palin is a retard, and she would like to thank the media bias for being soft on her for so long.

    Edit:
    That doesn't look like much of a post, but it's all I had left after I deleted all the anger. :lol:

    Friend me: Twitter | Google+
    Invite me: XBox Live | PS3 | Steam
    Link to me: Number Sorter | Achievement Generator
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.
    Hilarious. You know, I wonder how much of her utter failure in the polls had to do with the 'Trig = Bristol's Baby' rumor, and how much had to do with "in what respect, Charlie?", or (paraphrased) "my foreign policy experience is bolstered by my state's geographic proximity to Russia and Canada", or her outright refusal to label abortion clinic bombers as 'terrorists', or, or, or.



    God damned lie-beral media. At least Rush Limbaugh tells it straight.

    It's an easy game to hate
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You're forgetting lying about the Bridge to Nowhere like a week after people found out she was full of it.

    Combined with McCain's "fundamentals of our economy" lines the two really painted themselves as not even paying attention to the news.

  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Palin came out of a media environment where the closest scrutiny is Anchorage Evening News at 11. Toss her into 24/7 cable news on 3 networks and she never had a chance. All you had to do was throw a random clip of whatever she said that day on the screen and the material wrote itself. The fact that she also couldn't form a coherent sentence on the fly hurt her a lot - especially I think in interviews where the interviewers would ask progressively more probing questions trying to get some kind of succinct answer out of her mess of participles and infinitives.

    I think also she violated a crucial rule that many on the national stage follow - don't read the news about yourself! I think she read all this crap on these ridiculous blogs (the rumor about how Trig was the daughter's baby is sick in my mind) and really let it get to her personally.

    The reality is though that the McCain campaign is totally to blame for their lack of plan for handling her. Had they come out with a serious idea of what the hell she was there for and defined it, the media couldn't have had such a field day asking her questions about shit she had no clue about. Instead they just threw her out there like "hey look, we picked Sarah Palin!!! Aren't we mavericky?" and then the media had to figure out why they had picked her.

    steam_sig.png
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The entire McCain campaign (and to a lesser extent Clinton's campaign) was running under the idea that news media will never, Ever fact check or do any form of cross referencing prior statements.

    What happened was they both got blindsided by journalists doing journalism, and were outraged when they were called on to defend statements they'd made earlier. Their media teams were absolutely horrible, and trying to run with the loudest guy in the room method of making a point.

    None of that has anything to do with Palin, it just has to do with the basic evolution of information flow, and the long term viability of saying different shit to different groups of people, or acting like you've never said something you're on record as saying.

    The anti pork crusader bit was great political theatre until anyone actually researched it. The split camera at the town hall was Brutal image wise, as was the whole "McCain left and our live feed shows Obama still palling it up with all the people who showed up" thing. Image wise, there was no contest. One campaign had an image of professionalism and competence, the other looked like a high school class trying to run the LHC. One had a focused message, the other changed it's daily talking points multiple times per day, and rebranded it's slogan so quickly that none could stick.

    It was an object lesson in message control, and if you think the media was going easy on Obama, you're nuts. The media was avoiding McCain's campaign criticisms until the convention, at which point Palin was a hot topic and amazing.. then she was obviously in over her head, and then the media finally felt okay with pointing out that they'd been lying in McCain's favor for months. That he HAD no ground game, and those were staged shots of his phone banking operations, and the rest of the room was empty. That he had factional warfare going on internally and didn't even like his VP pick. Essentially the media stopped giving McCain a free ride. Which is far, FAR different than being biased in Obama's favor and picking on poor little Palin.

  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Palin came out of a media environment where the closest scrutiny is Anchorage Evening News at 11. Toss her into 24/7 cable news on 3 networks and she never had a chance. All you had to do was throw a random clip of whatever she said that day on the screen and the material wrote itself. The fact that she also couldn't form a coherent sentence on the fly hurt her a lot - especially I think in interviews where the interviewers would ask progressively more probing questions trying to get some kind of succinct answer out of her mess of participles and infinitives.

    I think also she violated a crucial rule that many on the national stage follow - don't read the news about yourself! I think she read all this crap on these ridiculous blogs (the rumor about how Trig was the daughter's baby is sick in my mind) and really let it get to her personally.

    The reality is though that the McCain campaign is totally to blame for their lack of plan for handling her. Had they come out with a serious idea of what the hell she was there for and defined it, the media couldn't have had such a field day asking her questions about shit she had no clue about. Instead they just threw her out there like "hey look, we picked Sarah Palin!!! Aren't we mavericky?" and then the media had to figure out why they had picked her.

    No, the McCain campaign had a plan for the roll-out, it jus wasn't tailored for Palin. The VP speech for the RNC (Speaking of, remember when Palin falsely claimed that the teleprompters went out and she just winged it? Good times.) was written for a masculine voice and had referred to the speaker in male terms that had to be changed. It was just the boilerplate roll out that you almost always do. Only then they realized that she wasn't any good at talking to the press or 'answering questions' so they stopped any press conference from occurring, which is unprecedented for a Vice Presidential candidate, and pushed her on Gibson and Couric rather than the more difficult sunday circuit shows.

    tea-1.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard and would like to thank media bias" thread.

    Had to fix that for ya.

    you are such a fucking troll. The Media was biased against Palin the same way they were biased against Brittany Spears. Because they both were an endless roller coaster of fuckups and idiocy that you couldn't look away from. Palin was three months of that Ms. Teen contestants "Maps" answer.

    This was Palin. For like, three freaking months. Everyday. Even her SPEECH patterns were the same, such as, it is been being.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII&feature=related

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    So is this whole thread just everyone telling each other how great of a job they did electing obama or what?


    (Would still like to point out, again, I did not like palin in the least. But still.)

    You're not much on reading are you? I think this more of "Man we dodged a bullet because Palin is a retard" thread.

    If nothing else, she put Clinton's relatively minor gibbering into perspective. No matter what she or her campaign said or did, we can always fall back on "But she's better than Palin."

    I have to admit, the campaign made me consider the Clinton campaign's spin of "It's fine if we bring up Ayers and Wright, because that way it can't be used in the general," might have actually been right. It became obvious pretty quickly that it was the Republican's only talking point, and it never made a blip.

    EmperorSeth.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is probably why, in retrospect, I'm pretty happy that Clinton made Obama work so hard for the nomination. Despite all of the screw ups in her campaign, she still ran a campaign that would've beaten the shit out of McCain's general election campaign.

    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This is probably why, in retrospect, I'm pretty happy that Clinton made Obama work so hard for the nomination. Despite all of the screw ups in her campaign, she still ran a campaign that would've beaten the shit out of McCain's general election campaign.

    I agree. Clinton doing her best to beat Obama in the primaries helped America to become far more familiar with the "black kid with the funny name" than it would have otherwise. In the end, her hubris probably helped engender sympathy with Obama amongst people who were just tired of the whole thing.

    steam_sig.png
  • DuffelDuffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    No, the McCain campaign had a plan for the roll-out, it jus wasn't tailored for Palin. The VP speech for the RNC (Speaking of, remember when Palin falsely claimed that the teleprompters went out and she just winged it? Good times.) was written for a masculine voice and had referred to the speaker in male terms that had to be changed. It was just the boilerplate roll out that you almost always do. Only then they realized that she wasn't any good at talking to the press or 'answering questions' so they stopped any press conference from occurring, which is unprecedented for a Vice Presidential candidate, and pushed her on Gibson and Couric rather than the more difficult sunday circuit shows.
    Damn. Couldn't they have had someone rewrite the speech, even at the last minute? Don't political campaigns keep a cohort of interns and flunkies around for just this sort of thing?

    I think any Palin apologists (not talking to Moniker, of course) need to remember that even McCain had a pretty transparent disgust for her by the time the campaign was over with. Not only did she say and do stupid shit - like the constant Obama/Ayers comparisons - she was actually doing so against the wishes of the presidential campaign she was involved in. Palin's foolish behavior was no one's fault but her own - she was even told not to do it by her bosses. Trying to blame the media for allowing the American public to see how stupid she was is absurd. When the stuff coming out of your mouth sounds like this:
    "As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008

    How exactly is the news media supposed to report that in a favorable light? Not showing Palin for the inexperienced, incompetent and corrupt little Caesar she was would have been not only a shirking of their responsibilities as journalists, but - even worse - actually put the country at risk of electing someone who was obviously and dangerously unqualified for the position she was seeking. There was a very distinct possibility that Sarah Palin could have been the most powerful individual in the world (contingent only upon the health of a 72-year-old multiple cancer survivor and 5-year prisoner-of-war). If that thought doesn't give people chills, I don't know what will.

  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's important to note that I don't think the general media considered, or should have considered, keeping Palin out of the White House as a priority for their reporting. Simply playing the above quote, or any of the similarly-inane dozens she crapped out over the course of the race, would be enough, perhaps followed by a heartfelt "wow".

    It's an easy game to hate
  • DuffelDuffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's important to note that I don't think the general media considered, or should have considered, keeping Palin out of the White House as a priority for their reporting. Simply playing the above quote, or any of the similarly-inane dozens she crapped out over the course of the race, would be enough, perhaps followed by a heartfelt "wow".
    Yeah, I'm not saying the media should have been obligated to report Palin in a worse light than she actually was (if that's possible, anyway) in order to keep her out of office themselves. Maybe it sounded like that. It's just that reporting about her at all was enough to show her for what she was. There's no way to make that shit look good. That's why they tried to sequester her from the media for so long - unlike Palin, the people working for the McCain campaign weren't entirely stupid. They knew what would happen.

    Once the cat was out of the bag, though, there wasn't much the McCain campaign could do besides scream liberal media!! and hope it sunk in (apparently a tactic which is still going on among their supporters, despite the election having ended two months ago). It was a lame tactic and they knew it - few candidates get more favorable press than pre-Palin McCain did. He'd been haranguing the press for years, knew a lot of them personally, the whole bit. But he had to side with her instead of his friends in the media, mostly because she was his running mate and also because the base was crazy about her.

    You could tell in some of their joint interviews McCain was kind of pissed at having to defend some of her more ridiculous statements. By then he knew he'd fucked up big time, but he had no choice but to stick with it. I can't imagine how it must have sucked - knowing that she was destroying any credibility he had outside Limbaugh-land, having to eat shit pies every day and act like he thought she was the best woman for the job. If he'd picked up Joe Lieberman no doubt he would have lost, but he could at least have lost with a little bit of pride intact.

  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can at least go back to not actively disliking McCain after his classy concession. I can't do that with Palin.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This is probably why, in retrospect, I'm pretty happy that Clinton made Obama work so hard for the nomination. Despite all of the screw ups in her campaign, she still ran a campaign that would've beaten the shit out of McCain's general election campaign.

    I agree. Clinton doing her best to beat Obama in the primaries helped America to become far more familiar with the "black kid with the funny name" than it would have otherwise. In the end, her hubris probably helped engender sympathy with Obama amongst people who were just tired of the whole thing.
    Frankly, I think that may be one of the reasons why she pretended she was a viable candidate for so long, so that Obama would be all that much more prepared for the general.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Archgarth wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This is probably why, in retrospect, I'm pretty happy that Clinton made Obama work so hard for the nomination. Despite all of the screw ups in her campaign, she still ran a campaign that would've beaten the shit out of McCain's general election campaign.

    I agree. Clinton doing her best to beat Obama in the primaries helped America to become far more familiar with the "black kid with the funny name" than it would have otherwise. In the end, her hubris probably helped engender sympathy with Obama amongst people who were just tired of the whole thing.
    Frankly, I think that may be one of the reasons why she pretended she was a viable candidate for so long, so that Obama would be all that much more prepared for the general.

    So she refused to concede the nomination for a week after having lost because...?

    The long slog of a primary proved beneficial, but that was an unintended consequence.

    tea-1.jpg
  • templewulftemplewulf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    I can at least go back to not actively disliking McCain after his classy concession. I can't do that with Palin.

    I could almost see a case being made for anti-Palin bias in the media. I'm willing to bet, though, that it was largely due to the fact that even dumbshit journalists couldn't contain their contempt for her stupidity. This is even despite their collective hard-on for Veteran McCain.

    Man, looking back, we had one hell of an election this year.

    Friend me: Twitter | Google+
    Invite me: XBox Live | PS3 | Steam
    Link to me: Number Sorter | Achievement Generator
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Archgarth wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This is probably why, in retrospect, I'm pretty happy that Clinton made Obama work so hard for the nomination. Despite all of the screw ups in her campaign, she still ran a campaign that would've beaten the shit out of McCain's general election campaign.

    I agree. Clinton doing her best to beat Obama in the primaries helped America to become far more familiar with the "black kid with the funny name" than it would have otherwise. In the end, her hubris probably helped engender sympathy with Obama amongst people who were just tired of the whole thing.
    Frankly, I think that may be one of the reasons why she pretended she was a viable candidate for so long, so that Obama would be all that much more prepared for the general.

    Thats why she had a meeting with her staff the day of the DNC to plan for her run in 2012. I have not problem believing Clinton spent all that time trying to snatch her victory.

    Quire.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Post-election McCain has been pretty great, actually. It must be a real relief to be out of the grip of the Republican base.

    Palin, though, if she keeps on the way she is now (which I doubt because seriously, she's from fucking Alaska), she'll continue to be in the press and a favorite of the base, but will be lucky to make it out of the GOP primary alive in 2012. I'm imagining the kneecapping she's going to have to weather, and I'll bet it makes the Clinton dogpile of the early Dem campaign seem like a sleepover pillow fight. If she had any sense, she'd go back to Alaska, learn how to be an effective executive, clear up all of the controversies, and hire someone to tutor her on foreign and domestic policy for the next four years.

    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DuffelDuffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Post-election McCain has been pretty great, actually. It must be a real relief to be out of the grip of the Republican base.

    Palin, though, if she keeps on the way she is now (which I doubt because seriously, she's from fucking Alaska), she'll continue to be in the press and a favorite of the base, but will be lucky to make it out of the GOP primary alive in 2012. I'm imagining the kneecapping she's going to have to weather, and I'll bet it makes the Clinton dogpile of the early Dem campaign seem like a sleepover pillow fight. If she had any sense, she'd go back to Alaska, learn how to be an effective executive, clear up all of the controversies, and hire someone to tutor her on foreign and domestic policy for the next four years.
    Fortunately for us, I think Palin actually believed she was eminently qualified this time around (or just didn't think it mattered if she wasn't), so hopefully she'll spend the next four years doing...whatever it is the governor of alaska does (90 or so days a term, no less). The thing that I found the most frightening about Palin was that it seemed she didn't really care if she was unqualified or not, as long as she got in the big chair. McCain was an asshole and I didn't agree with his political stances (at least not after he started to move even more to the right), but he at least had a fucking passport.

  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    templewulf wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    I can at least go back to not actively disliking McCain after his classy concession. I can't do that with Palin.

    I could almost see a case being made for anti-Palin bias in the media. I'm willing to bet, though, that it was largely due to the fact that even dumbshit journalists couldn't contain their contempt for her stupidity. This is even despite their collective hard-on for Veteran McCain.

    Man, looking back, we had one hell of an election this year.

    I think it became harder for them when Palin went all out anti media, and started having incidents of violence against reporters at her public rallies.

    She declared war on the MSM. At some point, they're going to just air her stupidity in full and let it stand.

  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Post-election McCain has been pretty great, actually. It must be a real relief to be out of the grip of the Republican base.

    Palin, though, if she keeps on the way she is now (which I doubt because seriously, she's from fucking Alaska), she'll continue to be in the press and a favorite of the base, but will be lucky to make it out of the GOP primary alive in 2012. I'm imagining the kneecapping she's going to have to weather, and I'll bet it makes the Clinton dogpile of the early Dem campaign seem like a sleepover pillow fight. If she had any sense, she'd go back to Alaska, learn how to be an effective executive, clear up all of the controversies, and hire someone to tutor her on foreign and domestic policy for the next four years.
    Fortunately for us, I think Palin actually believed she was eminently qualified this time around (or just didn't think it mattered if she wasn't), so hopefully she'll spend the next four years doing...whatever it is the governor of alaska does (90 or so days a term, no less). The thing that I found the most frightening about Palin was that it seemed she didn't really care if she was unqualified or not, as long as she got in the big chair. McCain was an asshole and I didn't agree with his political stances (at least not after he started to move even more to the right), but he at least had a fucking passport.

    Well, first she has to win reelection in 2010. No one's going to get anywhere for the Presidency after having lost a statewide race. Which is why Allen wasn't in the running this time 'round.

    tea-1.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hope she loses reelection

    then she'll disappear forever

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hope she loses reelection

    then she'll disappear forever
    Eh. She's a decent enough Senator, and New York is apparently lacking in options in this area.

    I would personally rather see her as majority leader than Reid, but that's probably not seeing much.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I hope she loses reelection

    then she'll disappear forever
    Eh. She's a decent enough Senator, and New York is apparently lacking in options in this area.

    I would personally rather see her as majority leader than Reid, but that's probably not seeing much.

    Talkin bout Palin

  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I hope she loses reelection

    then she'll disappear forever
    Eh. She's a decent enough Senator, and New York is apparently lacking in options in this area.

    I would personally rather see her as majority leader than Reid, but that's probably not seeing much.

    Talkin bout Palin

    She'd probably be a better majority leader than Reid, too. D:

  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I want Emanon to come back to this thread with more throwaway one-liners.

    Emanon, I miiiiiiissss yoooooouuu...

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    I want Emanon to come back to this thread with more throwaway one-liners.

    Emanon, I miiiiiiissss yoooooouuu...

    I'd rather he come back and actually try and be accountable for the shit he says.

    But that works too.

    Spoiler:
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    I want Emanon to come back to this thread with more throwaway one-liners.

    Emanon, I miiiiiiissss yoooooouuu...

    I'd rather he come back and actually try and be accountable for the shit he says.

    But that works too.

    Why have accountability when you can just argue that the game is rigged, man?

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
Sign In or Register to comment.