As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you donate a Kidney to your wife, then get Divorced. can you take that back?

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Yall wrote: »
    Given what we know (which is admittedly little) I'm not sure why we are saying the guy is being a douche.

If we say it's fair for her to request support, how is it not fair for him to receive compensation for donating a kidney?

Because it was given with no expectation of compensation and he has no further property rights in it.

Medopine on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, is losing a kidney in the divorce worse than losing an arm and a leg?

What's the exchange rate there?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Yeah. If your relationship is on the rocks, give her a kidney because you're a good person and you don't want to see a human being suffer.

Don't give her a kidney expecting a romance movie ending.

Kidneyless in Seattle?

You've Got Renal Failure?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They did that story on house. Lesbian couple on the rocks, one of them needed a kidney (or maybe a liver) and the partner agreed to donate because "she can't leave me now."

Actually I liked that episode a lot because it was one of the first episodes of any show I saw where gay people were just people and not HEY CHECK IT OUT WE HAVE GAY FOLKS ON OUR SHOW WE'RE SO CONTROVERSIAL.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Furthermore, it would set a precedent where we provide monetary compensation for organ donations.

There are very good reasons why organs are donations and not valued goods.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah. If your relationship is on the rocks, give her a kidney because you're a good person and you don't want to see a human being suffer.

Kidneyless in Seattle?

The second one of those made me laugh way more than it should have.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Kidneyless in Seattle?

I heard that one in the AOL voice.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited January 2009

Kidneyless in Seattle?

I heard that one in the AOL voice.

Oh God, now it's even better.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hee hee.

I hear that in my head as Cartman, not as the little girl from Aliens.

And now so do I.

Which makes it better.

Is there much left to discuss here? Not in an I'ma-lock-this sense, but... really? Does anyone disagree that the move is some combination of desperation/tit-for-tat/douchery that will go nowhere in court and serve just to sensationalize the issue, and that the woman sounds like she's being a bitch?

I'm not sure where to go with this, other than lulz.

Something wrong with lulz? This is some pretty unique lulz, too. Let's not squander that.

Man, somebody comes asking for my kidney I'm not thinking romance movie. I'm thinking Lost. I'm telling them to fuck right off.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Divorce? Heartbreak? Renal failure? A pathetic attempt at manipulation?

We're going to mine this ore for all the comedy gold it's worth!

Feral on

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mental note: Do not go on Honeymoon to mexico, may wake up in honeymoon suites jaccuzzi full of ice with some new scars and stitches and a note to seek medical attention.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mental note: Do not go on Honeymoon to mexico, may wake up in honeymoon suites jaccuzzi full of ice with some new scars and stitches and a note to seek medical attention.

Especially if your partner is a surgeon.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    I'd love to see her try to counter by billing him for all the....spousal "services"...provided during the marriage to offset the kidney suit. Seems like the kind of chick that would always be all "not tonight honey, I've got a headache" or "not tonight honey, I've got dialysis."

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'd love to see her try to counter by billing him for all the....spousal "services"...provided during the marriage to offset the kidney suit. Seems like the kind of chick that would always be all "not tonight honey, I've got a headache" or "not tonight honey, I've got dialysis."

That would seem risky with a doctor for a husband. He could just be all "Here's 200 mg of vicodin for the pain. Now spread 'em, so I can give you 1000 mg of man love."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Kidneyless in Seattle?

Runaway Kidney

How to Lose a Kidney in 10 Days

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That would seem risky with a doctor for a husband. He could just be all "Here's 200 mg of vicodin for the pain. Now spread 'em, so I can give you 1000 mg of man love."

That's not really all that much man love.

Maybe that's why she left.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That's not really all that much man love.

Maybe that's why she left.

"Take it, bitch! Take all four inches!"

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Kidneyless in Seattle?

Runaway Kidney

Four Kidneys and a Funeral

Feral on

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

Kidneyless in Seattle?

Runaway Kidney

Kidney Crashers

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Kidneyless in Seattle?

Runaway Kidney

When Harry Met Kidney or When Kidney Met Sally? or hell, When Kidney Met Kidney (a touching love story, I'm sure)

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    When Harry Met Kidney or When Kidney Met Sally? or hell, When Kidney Met Kidney (a touching love story, I'm sure)

I don't like alternative lifestyles with my kidney-related love stories. What's next, Brokeback Kidney?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I don't like alternative lifestyles with my kidney-related love stories. What's next, Brokeback Kidney?

Y Tu Riñón Tambien

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This is the best thread.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Y Tu Riñón Tambien

<3

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Kidney

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Fuck!

How could I not have seen it?!

It's obvious.

Kidney vs. Kidney.

It'll win an Oscar, for sure!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Y Tu Riñón Tambien

<3

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Kidney

I sadly haven't actually seen Y Tu Mama Tambien, but I know what it's about and thought it was way too appropriate for that post. I almost forgot to translate "kidney" into Spanish though, which would have been a travesty.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My Best Friend's Kidney

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's Something About Nephrology

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kidney Actually

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    kidney.jpg

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh shit Honk just upped the ante on this pissing contest!

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Win.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Damn, that's fantastic. It's going to be tough to beat that one.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yay :P

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The kidney watermark really makes it.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Haha nice, that was a last minute addition. I may write a script and try my luck with this.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The kidney watermark really makes it.

Totally.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm posting this for a friend:

My Big Fat Greek Kidney

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I almost posted that earlier. But then I came up with the Tambien thing and thought it was much better. And now I don't think I can surpass Honk.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I apologize in advance for actually discussing the topic :P :
    I don't see how people are shitting on the guy who donated his kidney to save his wife's life? As far as I can see he is the put upon party here: he was the one who was cheated on, he's the one who can't see his kids, he's the one who gave up an organ for someone who betrayed him. Obviously this is only his side of the story, but if he's telling the truth his ex-wife is clearly a huge bitch (of course its not likely he's blameless in this). He's not asking for his organ back, that's legally, morally, and medically impossible; he's just lashing out legally/monetarily and I feel for him. That said, Medopine is completely right, the kidney was a gift and there's doesn't seem to be any way he is entitled to anything. Anyone actually know the relevant laws?

valiance on