As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhone Cracked Screen

EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The ladyfriend dropped her iPhone on the sidewalk and cracked the screen. Funny enough she said it still works. Anyways, what can she do to replace it without paying for a new one or at least get a discount on a replacement?

She is freaking out so any help would be great.

Treats Animals Right!
Emanon on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's worth checking the terms of your contract with (I assume) AT&T and seeing what insurance they provide as standard - they may be able to replace it with you paying only the excess. When I did the exact same thing with my P900 a few years ago it was £50 excess on a £600 phone.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Last I checked, the iPhone can't be insured. When I got mine and asked about it, I was told that if it was broken, you either pay for repairs or get a new one.

Sorry that's not much help; maybe your AT&T store would know more.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Since it's an Apple product it might be covered by apple? Maybe?

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Apple's warranty won't cover dropping the device, in any case.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, also: is she close to upgrade time? If so, you could probably get a new one discounted.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    we went to the Apple store and no luck on a free replacement. We're gonna look at other routes. What sucks is her finances aren't in great shape so I guess I'll be helping to pay for a new one :(

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, in any case you're a good boyfriend for helping to replace her iPhone instead of replacing it with an entry Nokia or something.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are you technically inclined enough to attempt a DIY repair? Assuming nothing else is broken, you'd be looking at just under $100 in parts and tools.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Are you technically inclined enough to attempt a DIY repair? Assuming nothing else is broken, you'd be looking at just under $100 in parts and tools.

Yeah, I can do it and was looking online and saw glass replacement parts but some go for over $140!! Might as well get a new iPhone for that much as that work can void the warranty.

She said she'll live with the cracked screen as it is still usable.

THREAD CAN BE LOCKED

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!