As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tea Thread

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a big fan of genmaicha tea especially, and also jasmine and earl grey.

There are other teas I like, but those are usually the only ones I keep at home.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always feel I should be more well-read, if only for the sake of being more well-read, but when it comes down to it, I always manage to just wind up on the internet again.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate those conversations.

Me: "Oh, I like to read a lot."
    Random Person: "Like what? Dickinson? Hemingway?"
    Me: "Uhhhhh, Frank Herbert? George RR Martin?"
    Person: "Who?"

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh man, I was the most avid reader until I was 15 (which was, coincidentally, when my dad bought a computer for the house).

There are some fantastic books out there, and you really can learn so much from them

My dad used to despair of me. He always tells the story of how he'd bought a nice hardback version of Charlotte's Web, thinking, here's a book that should shut Rachel up for a while (I was 7 or 8), and then I read it all in the car on the way back to our house. After that he just used to buy the 1 pound (at the time; now they're 1.99 which actually isn't a huge increase in price considering!) classics and let me slog through those.

Janson on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I do not like Hemingway

props to those who enjoy him

but god

sooooooo dryyyyyyy

and yes, I realize that's part of his point but that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy him

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    I hate those conversations.

Me: "Oh, I like to read a lot."
    Random Person: "Like what? Dickinson? Hemingway?"
    Me: "Uhhhhh, Frank Herbert? George RR Martin?"
    Person: "Who?"

Hehe, I'm usually that random person.

I'm pretty well versed on pre-1900 literature and more modern classics (bookstores often have very good recommendations)

Fantasy and/or sci-fi? Uh, not so much!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh except Dickens because fuck Dickens

Janson on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Some of those well-read people out there make me feel like shit. You're innocent of it; but, man, I have received some scowls. I know I can read the classics, and understand them easily. But I just love the Fantasy and Sci-Fi so much that I can't move beyond them. Then there's Palahniuk in his own, special genre.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    And fuck Hawthorne too

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Some of those well-read people out there make me feel like shit. You're innocent of it; but, man, I have received some scowls. I know I can read the classics, and understand them easily. But I just love the Fantasy and Sci-Fi so much that I can't move beyond them. Then there's Palahniuk in his own, special genre.

exploitative shlock is a genre now?

I guess it's him and bukowski in there

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I am no literature snob, and I have no real preference for genre

I'd really encourage you to read beyond sci-fi and fantasy, though, if only because there are some fantastic books out there!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Read Cormac McCarthy, Dubh.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nooo don't

There are happy books out there

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man, pretty much all of my literary knowledge is based solely in the "Books by Terry Pratchett, and sometimes William Gibson" category. Well, that and the metric tonne of Animorphs I read as a young'n.

I couldn't even make it a chapter into Lord of the Rings before wondering off to do something else.

I am a terrible nerd.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Pshaw

happy books

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    you deserve those scowls
    not because you read sci-fi and fantasy, but because you read them almost exclusively
    it's just as fucked up as someone who eats pizza for dinner every day because he's not willing to try anything else

and then you fucking mention Palahniuk as the one example outside those two genres that you also like
    Palahniuk isn't terrible, but god if you hold him in such high esteem then you are indeed stunted from a literary standpoint

there's a lot of great literature out there besides sci-fi, fantasy, and "the classics", so branch out a little for gods sake, or get used to people treating you like the stunted man-child you are

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DE?AD, LotR is looong and booooooring and even I couldn't finish it

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh, Dru

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You know what my secret literary addiction shame is

Agatha Christie

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's for his own good mori

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Janson wrote: »
    You know what my secret literary addiction shame is

Agatha Christie
    I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you're reading other stuff as well
    but if all you're reading is mystery novels, that would make you a rather odd person and you'd be missing out on a lot of great books

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No one does gruesome murder quite so cheerfully as the British

And no, I try and keep my tastes broad, although I'd say 90% of what I read is straight-up fiction (as in, not mystery, or sci-fi, or fantasy, but in the regular fiction section)

Currently reading Bill Bryson, <3 him so much (hello Bongi!)

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just don't see the point of judgint someone based off their reading habits

it's not like Dubh is claiming that he only reads sci-fi and fantasy because everything else sucks

he said he prefers to read it because he finds it more entertaining, and it seems like he understands the limitations of the genre

but whatever

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I... I don't think I can even remember the last time I read something that wasn't the internet or a comic of some sort.

I should probably go get a library card.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

It's not like it was a declaration I've made, or anything. Just happened to be that way. I have Dante's Inferno on my 'next' list anyway. It HAS been time to explore.

And please, God, don't confuse me with those people out there who burn their hands with lye. I just like Palahniuk's work, and I find it standing out from some of the shit I've seen out there. It's hard to expand your reading lists when most of your friends barely touch books.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    I mean, I understand the virtues of reading other genres of books but I don't see how primarily reading scifi and fantasy novels makes someone an idiot manchild, so long as they understand what they're missing

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I mean, I understand the virtues of reading other genres of books but I don't see how primarily reading scifi and fantasy novels makes someone an idiot manchild, so long as they understand what they're missing

no ignorant ignorance?

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dubh, seriously, if you would like a recommendations list, I'd be very happy to PM you one

I'd offer to lend you the books if my stuff had arrived

DE?AD, you too, in fact, I'd be rather pleased to! A lot of the time people asking for recommendations on these forums are asking for sci-fi/fantasy, I'd love to compile a list of ordinary fiction!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Damn, this had turned into a classy thread. Tea and books. TEA and BOOKS. FUCK. YES.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah but he's also complaining about how people react to him as a result
    and I'm saying accept that as a consequence of your choice to read so narrowly

it's a choice he makes and if he doesn't like the consequences of that choice, then choose to read more broadly
    otherwise, accept that people are going to look down on you for reading almost entirely within two genres that are (with some good justification) viewed as rather juvenile

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just thought it came off as a bit harsh.

But that's SE++, I guess.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It's not like it was a declaration I've made, or anything. Just happened to be that way. I have Dante's Inferno on my 'next' list anyway. It HAS been time to explore.

And please, God, don't confuse me with those people out there who burn their hands with lye. I just like Palahniuk's work, and I find it standing out from some of the shit I've seen out there. It's hard to expand your reading lists when most of your friends barely touch books.
    I'm just suggesting you branch out from those genres. I realize it can seem rather daunting, but you don't have to like every book you read. Just like part of the fun of trying new food is that you don't know if you'll like it or not. That's precisely what makes it so great when you find a new cuisine that you really like, or an author that writes stuff you normally wouldn't read that you realize you really like. Go for it man, it'll be well worth it even if along the way you read some books you don't like at all. That's how you figure out what you'll like.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

it's a choice he makes and if he doesn't like the consequences of that choice, then choose to read more broadly
    otherwise, accept that people are going to look down on you for reading almost entirely within two genres that are (with some good justification) viewed as rather juvenile

Really though? Fuck those people. Fuck their narrow mindset.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Dubh doesn't strike me as one of those guys that only reads fantasy/scifi because he thinks they're the only good genres, anyway. He's probably more like me, because I used to exclusively read fantasy/scifi because I just wasn't curious about the other stuff.

I branched out eventually, though, and now I hardly ever read scifi or fantasy! Also I hardly ever read in general!

I'm reading the Mental Floss History Of The World, though, which is a pretty fun read, although very broad and not deep in the slightest.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

To be fair, isn't only reading a couple of genres pretty damn narrow minded? don't tell me you don't look down on and judge other people based on how they dress or what music they listen to. You're human, so of course you do this. It's natural. Only you're pretending that this shouldn't apply to your tastes. :P

The people that don't fit into the crowd always like to blame the crowd for not appreciating them because the crowd is narrow minded. Hmmm...

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Janson wrote: »
    Dubh, seriously, if you would like a recommendations list, I'd be very happy to PM you one

I'd offer to lend you the books if my stuff had arrived

DE?AD, you too, in fact, I'd be rather pleased to! A lot of the time people asking for recommendations on these forums are asking for sci-fi/fantasy, I'd love to compile a list of ordinary fiction!

Sure! A list should make filling the gaping hole in my character a somewhat less daunting task.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Actually I shall post it here if that is okay!

These are probably my favourite five books of the past 3-4 years:

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
    Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

All readily available for cheap on Amazon!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

To be fair, isn't only reading a couple of genres pretty damn narrow minded? don't tell me you don't look down on and judge other people based on how they dress or what music they listen to. You're human, so of course you do this. It's natural. Only you're pretending that this shouldn't apply to your tastes. :P

The people that don't fit into the crowd always like to blame the crowd for not appreciating them because the crowd is narrow minded. Hmmm...

I guarantee that the same people who outright sneer about what I read rarely ever touch those genres. And I understand your point. I agree with your point. Suggest me some books, goddammit.

Edit: Trust me, you're preaching to the wrong man.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Thank you, Janson, I will look into getting Carter Beats the Devil, post haste.

Also, I finally remembered the last book I'd read - Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stross.

It was pretty entertaining.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bonus book:

English Passengers by Matthew Kneale

DE?AD : I hope you enjoy it! Have you picked that because it is first on the list, or because you read all the blurb? Because I definitely would not say that if you didn't enjoy that book that you wouldn't enjoy the others. Each of those books is, I feel, wholly different from the others, so you might want to check that you find the premise of the book interesting.

Janson on