Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

something is eatting my system.

Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So i keep getting this pop up that says i have Win32.zafi.b infecting my computer and its made my internet all screwy.

I tried to go to trend micro and do a system scan. It denied me.

It now redirects me to random pages anytime I try to do anything anti virus related. I have tried to down load spybot search and destroy and it wont let me. I tried to google the virus and read how to delete it and it ridirects me. I cant seem to find anything on how to beat this thing. Can someone google it and copy/paste it so I can at least read how to fight this thing. It is really annoying.

I tried Hijack this but didnt see anything abnormal. and I don't want to just randomly delete stuff.

This is pretty frustrating.

I am running firefox but internet explorer isnt working either.

Limp moose on

• fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You need to get an antivirus to run a boot scan. If you have another computer, download a copy of "Avast Antivirus Free" and burn the installer onto a cd. Use that CD to install Avast on the infected computer, then follow the instructions here.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you really want to do things right, go to MajorGeeks or BleepingComputer and follow their instructions. Following this guide, for example, takes a long time but is extremely effective.

sig.gif
  • capnricocapnrico Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I had a similar virus not too long ago -- it won't let you run most antivirus exes (though you can get around it by renaming them) and it won't let you get to most online virus scanners.

I used a clean computer to burn an Antivirus Boot Disk from Avira (here), boot into that, run and clean (make sure you select the option to clean under configuration), then boot into safe mode and run MalwareBytes AntiMalware and your normal virus scanner to clean the rest of it out. Should take care of it.