As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

two 360's...one house

Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
hey guys,
ok basic problem, my housemate got a 360, i have one, when both logged on, we get booted if we try to connect while in the same game (halo 3 multiplayer) any advice???

also dlink wireless n router and wireless for both....

6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
Angel177 on

• Options
    WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Your router is probably assigning the same IP address to both 360s.

You can go into the 360 settings and the IP address should read something like '192.168.1.5'. Just change that last number to a 6 or a 7. An address thats not already assigned to something.

You can check this in your router settings and reserve an ip address for the 360 if the above doesn't work.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It might also being seeing both at the same address (ie. your cable modem address) overall, and in that case I'm not sure what to do.

You might form a party before joining?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's no reason the router would be giving out the same IP. The problem is very likely the good ol same-game-same-port.

You are behind a router, so your external IP (internet reachable) is just one address. When you play online games, if you are playing Halo that uses say port X and another game uses port Y, then your IP:port is different. (IP:X for your Halo game traffic, IP:Y for your other game, it's easy for your router to sort out.)

Problem is as soon as you play Halo on both, while you may have internally different addresses, to the outside world both XBOX machines look like IP:X and the router/game can't keep both separate and connected properly.

The fix for this on PC games is to manually set the client port (for example Steam games often are on 27015 or such so I have my brother's game set to 27016) I don't have much experience with Xbox since I don't have one, but apparently the normal solution is "use a router that works with Xbox live properly" so don't really know what to suggest as a fix.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Problem is as soon as you play Halo on both, while you may have internally different addresses, to the outside world both XBOX machines look like IP:X and the router/game can't keep both separate and connected properly.
    This is what I meant.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, to ask my own question. Do I HAVE to buy Microsoft's $50 dongle for the 360 or are there other ways?

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey, to ask my own question. Do I HAVE to buy Microsoft's $50 dongle for the 360 or are there other ways?
    You can, google 360 bridge or something similar.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Infidel's response makes sense, however I know for a fact that this summer I had three 360s in my house and we would all play Halo 3 on Live at the same time.

I know that Steam can detect the same external IP and will prevent you from spectating in CS Source after you die to prevent cheating. However I haven't seen any of my 360s exhibit this behavior.

Would it be possible for ha-ha's to put one on a hard wire and one on the wireless and see how they behave?

Penguin_Otaku: Yeah I used a Linksys wireless bridge for awhile and they work great.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Enos316 wrote: »
    Infidel's response makes sense, however I know for a fact that this summer I had three 360s in my house and we would all play Halo 3 on Live at the same time.

Yeah, as I mentioned this problem seems to happen or not happen based on your router. Some handle it just fine. Without any way to change the ports for XBL yourself though, if you're stuck with a router that doesn't then you're stuck.

Maybe try updating the firmware for the router to the latest if you haven't yet? A free possible fix.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png