As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learning French for free?

EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Or on the cheap at least. I'm pretty fucking poor, but I wanna learn French.

If you notice to left I'm Canadian, so I do have some experience. I can read French almost well enough to survive, but when it comes to listening, speaking and writing I'm completely useless. I have found some resources before, but they just don't cut it. I also found a lot things that look like scams.

Aider moi [please].

EskimoDave on

• Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Move here to Quebec where they'll force you to learn it! har har har.

Are you still in school? I picked up a russian class on a whim and enjoyed it, and it didnt cost anymore then my semester would have otherwise.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's your situation? Are you a student? Working? Where do you live?

If you get a job at the Quebec, Ontario, or federal government, often they will offer you courses on their dime, especially if it relates to your job. Check with your HR manager to see if that's an option.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Or on the cheap at least. I'm pretty fucking poor, but I wanna learn French.

If you notice to left I'm Canadian, so I do have some experience. I can read French almost well enough to survive, but when it comes to listening, speaking and writing I'm completely useless. I have found some resources before, but they just don't cut it. I also found a lot things that look like scams.

Aidez-moi s'il vous plait.

First lesson's free. ;)

That's just dusting off the cobwebs of over a decade since I last really spoke French. Hell, pick up a high school FSL textbook and see if they can help you.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Check out the french podcasts on itunes. I was going to try one of the Welsh ones.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only way you're going to learn is by practicing.

A cheap way would probably be to get on some french ventrillo, swallow your pride and try to have a conversation.

Meiz on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiz wrote: »

A cheap way would probably be to get on some french ventrillo, swallow your pride and try to have a conversation.

Or start hitting on French girls.

You'll know you're improving when you stop getting slapped and start getting dates. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Check out the french podcasts on itunes. I was going to try one of the Welsh ones.

I've been using "Coffee Break French" to keep my skills up over the winter break, and it's been working out nicely.

Bonne chance!

Reckless on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiz wrote: »

Or start hitting on French girls.

You'll know you're improving when you stop getting slapped and start getting dates. :P

Unless you're born into it or a musician, it's not going to happen.

Meiz on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Be careful when learning spoken French. You might want to practice with more, uh, literal French material (like movies, MP3s or whatever) than some show or movie from Québec or France. Both places have a very different accent, and learning proper French would be the best thing to do. Then, get used to the Québec accent (since you're Canadian).

Djiem on
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Libraries have french learning tapes/CDs you can rent, normally for a small fee.

pots+pans on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reckless wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »

I've been using "Coffee Break French" to keep my skills up over the winter break, and it's been working out nicely.

Bonne chance!

That's the exact one I used last summer when I was trying to teach myself at work. Before that, I never knew what french sounded like with a scottish accent.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What's your situation? Are you a student? Working? Where do you live?
    Just a dude who tries to work in BC.

I just subscribed to the Coffee Break French thing. Gonna check it out soon.
    Looks like quite a few of them on iTunes here.

And the library thing, I realised that about an hour after posting. I was all like "ya know, I've never looked in the library."

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Voila!

http://www.francocentre.com/

cest la societe francophone de victoria.

(too lazy for accents)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://www.fsi-language-courses.net/French.aspx

Also, you should get yourself the Pimsleur tapes/cds from your local library. That should get you up to a reasonable amount of fluency if you are diligent. Then, you should start watching TVA, SRC, and TV5. If you have basic cable you will get these channels, usually in the nether regions.

Then you get start to explore a number of programs run by the Government of Canada and the Government of Quebec that you could be eligible for, that do things like language and cultural exchanges.

Goodluck.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Voila!

http://www.francocentre.com/

cest la societe francophone de victoria.

(too lazy for accents)

awesome to you and saggio

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not just for French.

http://www.livemocha.com/

Livemocha is the world's largest online community for language learners, with free lessons and a global community to help you learn a new language.

With Livemocha, you can develop confidence in your language skills that will help you carry on conversations in a foreign language.

From your personal home page, you have access to all of your current course information, friends, tasks, a list of recent friend activity, and more!

And if you look at their register page, It's FREE!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In addition to the FSI linked above, the video series "French in Action" is excellent. I used those two, and Assimil "New French With Ease" (the first 2 were free and the Assimil was about $40 or something). These will take you to a level where you can then learn on your own by reading books, listening to the easy podcasts, etc. though I personally did pay a conversation tutor about $400 over six months or so, which helped but wasn't strictly necessary.

Orthoji on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just wanted to add that I just signed up for LiveMocha, and spent the last hour doing my best to keep up with a college student from Boston that's going away to Paris for a year-long exchange program. I'm kind of addicted. Actually talking with other people instead of just memorizing vocabulary from a textbook makes the process so much smoother. I don't think I'll do the lessons on the website, but the live chat is all sorts of tres bien.

Reckless on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reckless wrote: »
    I just wanted to add that I just signed up for LiveMocha, and spent the last hour doing my best to keep up with a college student from Boston that's going away to Paris for a year-long exchange program. I'm kind of addicted. Actually talking with other people instead of just memorizing vocabulary from a textbook makes the process so much smoother. I don't think I'll do the lessons on the website, but the live chat is all sorts of tres bien.

Glad that I could introduce you to the site. It's been a fun little diversion for me from life, conversing with a Russian student and passing the time trying to learn the language.

Actually talking to someone in the language you wish to learn is far more of a learning experience then vocab lessons.

:lol:

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I signed up for LiveMocha. Haven't really had time to use it.

I also downloaded 1600+ learn french podcasts.

Gonna try it out later this afternoon.

EskimoDave on