As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No ethernet connection? - solved

IriahIriah Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
There is no ethernet/local area connection icon in my network connections, but my computer is connected to a router via ethernet. When I try to install the drivers for that router, it tells me the I need to install an ethernet controller. I tried installing the nVidia nForce4 chipset drivers (as that is what my motherboard - an Abit K8SLI - is, I think) but that didn't change anything.

As someone who has navigated this whole situation by guesswork, I have no idea what to do - can you help me H/A?

Iriah on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You don't install drivers for your router. You install drivers for your Ethernet card. Is your Ethernet card on your motherboard? If so, installing chipset drivers is a good idea. However, you indicated that that didn't work. You might try getting drivers directly from Abit. Also, check in your Device Manager for unknown or stopped devices. Feel free to post a screenshot or two.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll check the Device Manager again, but I think it's all good. Also I'm downloading the drivers that Abit did not have on their website. Stupid Abit.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Frylock! I went in to device manager and, on a whim, deleted the PCI controller and reinstalled it with the drivers I just downloaded. It's now working fine.

Iriah on