As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ridiculous Electricity Bills! (?)

SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Alrighty, so I'm in a rented flat, been living here for a year but my electricity supplier has fucked up basically every bill they've ever sent me one way or another, so I have no frame of reference for how much a standard bill in this place should be costing me.

There's an immersion heater for my water which is a timed, off-peak dealy, and the only central heating is with wall-panel, electric radiators. There's no gas at all. It's a single bedroom flat, with one bathroom, one living room/open plan kitchen and a teeny tiny hall. I live alone and work all day, so the flat is completely empty between 8am and 6pm. The building is pretty well heated, so I don't have the radiators turned on often and when they are on they're timed for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple in the evening. When I'm in the flat I have my PC running frequently, though in exclusion to a TV or anything similar (if one is on, the other is off).

My latest electricity bill, for the period between the 8th of October and the 12th of January is £441.78.

This seems high to me.

My electricity supplier disagrees.

They are telling me that it's something I'm doing wrong rather than something they've done wrong. Arguing about this with them is a fucking nightmare and I'm tempted to just say that they're right and pay the damn bills.

What I need to know is, is this bill within the realms of possibility given my situation, or is this so outlandishly high that there's definitely something wrong that I need to keep pestering my supplier about?

SpongeCake on

• Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so a little over 200 a month for heat and electricity? My heat + electricity runs me about 260 a month in the winter with maybe a slightly bigger setup. Are you in an apartment building? Can you ask neighbors how much they're paying for comparison?

JeffH on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How high do you run your heat in the winter months?

Having your home at <50 all day while you're not there and turning it up to 75 could probably get you close to that in heating costs alone. But I'm not sure how everything works over there and your average costs being higher or lower than ours over here. That still seems extraordinarily high unless you have a big house with lots of space.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    bowen wrote: »

Having your home at <50 all day while you're not there and turning it up to 75 could probably get you close to that in heating costs alone. But I'm not sure how everything works over there and your average costs being higher or lower than ours over here. That still seems extraordinarily high unless you have a big house with lots of space.

The radiators in my living room have been broken and entirely off since February. Only have one in the bedroom which runs for about two hours in the morning and two hours in at night (which I've turned off completely since getting this damn bill).

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

The radiators in my living room have been broken and entirely off since February. Only have one in the bedroom which runs for about two hours in the morning and two hours in at night (which I've turned off completely since getting this damn bill).

There is no way it could be that high. Ever.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    JeffH wrote: »
    so a little over 200 a month for heat and electricity? My heat + electricity runs me about 260 a month in the winter with maybe a slightly bigger setup. Are you in an apartment building? Can you ask neighbors how much they're paying for comparison?

Is that 260 £Sterling or US$ ?

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JeffH wrote: »

Is that 260 £Sterling or US$ ?

US. I also have gas heat, and it's pretty cold here (~15F today).

JeffH on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there a chance that you accidentally received a bill meant for another flat? (Pardon my ignorance on the subject... but a "flat" is another term for "apartment" right? So there may be many tenants on the same property?)

I can see many mistakes possibly being made:

1) They read someone elses' meter and thought it was yours (in which case, find YOUR meter (your landlord should know) and write down that number, and compare it with what they have.
    2) Someone could be acquiring your electricity and/or gas illegally. (In which case, you can find out by turning off all of the circuit breakers in your house, going back to your meter, and seeing if it continues to move... if it does and you're sure you tripped all your breakers, either your landlord or another tenant is using electricity on your meter for... something.)

Hopefully this helps.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is there a chance that you accidentally received a bill meant for another flat? (Pardon my ignorance on the subject... but a "flat" is another term for "apartment" right? So there may be many tenants on the same property?)

I can see many mistakes possibly being made:

1) They read someone elses' meter and thought it was yours (in which case, find YOUR meter (your landlord should know) and write down that number, and compare it with what they have.
    2) Someone could be acquiring your electricity and/or gas illegally. (In which case, you can find out by turning off all of the circuit breakers in your house, going back to your meter, and seeing if it continues to move... if it does and you're sure you tripped all your breakers, either your landlord or another tenant is using electricity on your meter for... something.)

Hopefully this helps.

Flat = Apartment, yes.

And it's funny you should say that... When I first moved in they did exactly that - charged me for my neighbour's electricity. Allegedly they sorted out the issue and insist that the meter they're charging me based on now is mine and not someone else's. A few months back I also got bills for the other neighbour. Every time I mention the possibility that they're still looking at the wrong meter they refuse to accept that it could be that, which is why I want to be sure it's stupidly high before wasting my breath arguing with their relentless bullshit.
    The circuit-breaker idea is a fantastic one. It's going to be a dull weekend but I'm sure as hell going to give it a shot.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    its not like it will take forever. just turn off all the breakers and walk outside to look at the meter. if its still running something is up.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does your bill show the actual meter reading? As in, what the reading was the last time they read the meter, and what the meter was this time, and the difference between the two? I'm assuming they put the per-kilowatt hour charge on the bill, too. Electric companies will "estimate" readings based on past usage, time of year etc. without doing an actual reading sometimes, then when they do an actual reading simply charge you the difference if they were over/under on their estimation. You should be able to request a bill with an actual reading on it. Find out when the meter reader is going to be there, and figure out which meter is yours so you can be sure they're reading the right one.

That said, I've lived in an apartment with electric heat. Our bills in the summer ran around $20-$30. Our bills in the winter were as high as $200. We kept the apartment at 64 Fahrenheit in the winter, and left the heat off during the day.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Does your bill show the actual meter reading? As in, what the reading was the last time they read the meter, and what the meter was this time, and the difference between the two? I'm assuming they put the per-kilowatt hour charge on the bill, too. Electric companies will "estimate" readings based on past usage, time of year etc. without doing an actual reading sometimes, then when they do an actual reading simply charge you the difference if they were over/under on their estimation. You should be able to request a bill with an actual reading on it. Find out when the meter reader is going to be there, and figure out which meter is yours so you can be sure they're reading the right one.

That said, I've lived in an apartment with electric heat. Our bills in the summer ran around $20-$30. Our bills in the winter were as high as $200. We kept the apartment at 64 Fahrenheit in the winter, and left the heat off during the day.

$200 a quarter?

The meter readings are usually taken, not estimated and I've given them a few myself. As far as I'm aware they're accurate for that meter, so it's not a problem with the way the meter is being read.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    $200 per month.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forget the price, what's you usage over those three months (should be listed in KwH)??

Different companies charge different prices for things. Typical per month can be from 300-700 KwH for an apartment and if it's a house can easily hit 1000 kwH depending what you have.I use about 400 KwH a month for an apartment but I don't pay for the building heat (which adds up) and don't pay for the water heater.

That does sound pretty high though in my view (as I work for an elecrticy/water company).

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here in MB, Canada, when I used to live outside of the city, it was pretty odd for us to recieve a bill exceeding $250CDN even during the coldest months, and that was a three bedroom medium-poorly insulated trailer with only electric heat.

Granted our electricity may be a bit cheaper than most other places (MB is almost exclusively Hydroelectric power, and produces much more than we actually use).

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also with electric heat, it's not like you're turning on a little 60w bulb. It's a 1200 W - 2500 W power draw while it's on. Lets say 2000 W for 5 hours / day (2 in morning, 3 at night) for 3 months, that's 900 kwH JUST IN HEAT. Charge between 8-15 cents per kwh (lets say 10 cents) $90 in JUST heat. Add a fridge, stove, water heater, PC, TV to all that and it's not that far off.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    Forget the price, what's you usage over those three months (should be listed in KwH)??

Different companies charge different prices for things. Typical per month can be from 300-700 KwH for an apartment and if it's a house can easily hit 1000 kwH depending what you have.I use about 400 KwH a month for an apartment but I don't pay for the building heat (which adds up) and don't pay for the water heater.

That does sound pretty high though in my view (as I work for an elecrticy/water company).

Apparently I'm running through 1300kwH a month.

Including 400kwH of night units. During the night. When everything is turned off.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    Also with electric heat, it's not like you're turning on a little 60w bulb. It's a 1200 W - 2500 W power draw while it's on. Lets say 2000 W for 5 hours / day (2 in morning, 3 at night) for 3 months, that's 900 kwH JUST IN HEAT. Charge between 8-15 cents per kwh (lets say 10 cents) $90 in JUST heat. Add a fridge, stove, water heater, PC, TV to all that and it's not that far off.

During the billed period, I had a single radiator turned on for a few hours a day, for a total of 10 days. I know this for an absolute fact because I'm one of those cheap people who would rather wear a sweater than turn the heating on and one of those lazy people who would rather wear two sweaters than call the landlord and get him to fix the radiators.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    441 for 3 months doesnt sound that bad, especially in cold weather...

Maybe you just have some neighbor mooching off you juice. Turn off the breakers like suggest and see if it still runs.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Seems high but it's not outrageous.

And everything isn't completly off. You always have hot water, your food is always cold.

Do you have newer appliances? Older ones? The older they are, the worse they will be for power.

Advise is to check the meter yourself to make sure they aren't screwing up the readings.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aye, give the meter a look, and then try the circuit breaker thing. Theoretically, if you hit them all it should even turn off your hot water and refrigerator (unless for some unknown reason they keep that away from you... but even in the strictest apartments I've never seen that), and you'll know with greater certainty what's going down.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you call the power company they will come to your flat and tell you A) what your monthly bill should be approximately and B) ways to save a few bucks quickly. Very helpful.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    -Phil- wrote: »

Maybe you just have some neighbor mooching off you juice. Turn off the breakers like suggest and see if it still runs.

£. It's 441£. That's about 900 or more USD if I'm not mistaken. 300$ a month for a single bedroom flat where he uses VERY little heating and spends more than half the day out of the house or sleeping? That is high.

441 UK£ Sterling = 958.80026 U.S. Dollars

says google

Topia on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My latest electricity bill, for the period between the 8th of October and the 12th of January is £441.78.

I got an electriclty bill in a similar living situation for £300 and a bit for a quarter, and it turned out that the meter was broken and recording all the electricity used at peak rate.

I think your meter may be broken.

EDIT: also some of you guys seem to have really expensive electricity or are using a shitload of power.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Topia wrote: »
    -Phil- wrote: »

£. It's 441£. That's about 900 or more USD if I'm not mistaken. 300$ a month for a single bedroom flat where he uses VERY little heating and spends more than half the day out of the house or sleeping? That is high.

441 UK£ Sterling = 958.80026 U.S. Dollars

says google

Man, I wish the pound was that strong. By my calculations it's about 650 USD, but yeah the point stands.

I going to administer the circuit-breaker test tomorrow and see what happens.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I live in a big-ish one bedroom apartment. My electricity bills are almost always under $15 a month, but I use CFLs and gas heat.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I did the circuit-breaker test this morning. Took a reading from "my" meter, flipped everything off, waited 15 minutes, went back into the meter cupboard.
    "My" meter was still ticking away.

The meter above "mine" was the only one in the cupboard with a tiny LED not lit up. I took a reading from that. Waited 15 and took another. No change.
    I flipped everything back on. Waited 15. LED is lit up and the meter is ticking away.

I am about to crack some fucking skulls.

Major thanks to everyone for the help here, you've managed to be more useful in one day than my electricity supplier has in 12 months. It's e-on UK, for the record.

logoug6.gif

Update edit: Phoned my supplier, finally got through to someone who can actually do something. They finally fucking agree that I've been charged under the wrong meter and have put my account under review - no charges for anything until they sort it out. I can expect a full refund for the overcharging and it should be sorted in 6 - 8 weeks. I wish I'd posted this topic a year ago.

I <3 H&A

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Our gas and electricity in £75 a month. I pay direct debit and so far have not had to pay any extra on top of that (we live in a two up, two down terraced house). So you're looking at £225 a quater.

Your bill seems a bit high, especially given you say you don't use the heating that much. what supplier are you with?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Yep, I've seen the companies fuck up the power readings before. If you can, have the landlord or ask the landlord if you can just mark the meters (or have the power company mark them for you).

At my last building all the meters were clearly marked for which apartment they belonged to.

Also hopefully you can get a big fat refund, you must have been paying for like 4-5x what you were actually using

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    what type of lightbulbs do you use? ever have more than one light on in the house at a time? when you aren't using your computer, make sure the monitor is off too, but it sounds like you have that in hand already

edit- i see you solved it, hooray! but look into getting energy efficient bulbs, by dad says they lowered his bill by so much when he switched to using them

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I've done some calculations and I'm fairly sure I've been overcharged by around £600 over the 12 month period.

600 fucking quid.

BobCesca wrote: »
    what supplier are you with?

That would be e-on

logoug6.gif

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I've done some calculations and I'm fairly sure I've been overcharged by around £600 over the 12 month period.

600 fucking quid.

If your experience is anything like mine, they'll try and talk you into just crediting it to your account and then taking minimal payments until it's back to normal. Don't let them pull that bullshit, they're holding a large amount of your money. Complain until they send you a cheque.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I did the circuit-breaker test this morning. Took a reading from "my" meter, flipped everything off, waited 15 minutes, went back into the meter cupboard.
    "My" meter was still ticking away.

The meter above "mine" was the only one in the cupboard with a tiny LED not lit up. I took a reading from that. Waited 15 and took another. No change.
    I flipped everything back on. Waited 15. LED is lit up and the meter is ticking away.

I am about to crack some fucking skulls.

Major thanks to everyone for the help here, you've managed to be more useful in one day than my electricity supplier has in 12 months. It's e-on UK, for the record.

logoug6.gif

Update edit: Phoned my supplier, finally got through to someone who can actually do something. They finally fucking agree that I've been charged under the wrong meter and have put my account under review - no charges for anything until they sort it out. I can expect a full refund for the overcharging and it should be sorted in 6 - 8 weeks. I wish I'd posted this topic a year ago.

I <3 H&A

Woot! I'm so glad it helped! Yep, the circuit breaker test is pretty much a dead ringer for finding out what's going on. In fact, I'm highly suspicious of the fact that this company didn't tell you to do this earlier. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but dismissing claims like the one you had is an easy way for them to generate revenue.

Okay, maybe that's too paranoid... but fuck those guys anyways.

Well done! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    japan wrote: »
    If your experience is anything like mine, they'll try and talk you into just crediting it to your account and then taking minimal payments until it's back to normal. Don't let them pull that bullshit, they're holding a large amount of your money. Complain until they send you a cheque.

This is an excellent point.

Woot! I'm so glad it helped! Yep, the circuit breaker test is pretty much a dead ringer for finding out what's going on. In fact, I'm highly suspicious of the fact that this company didn't tell you to do this earlier. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but dismissing claims like the one you had is an easy way for them to generate revenue.

Okay, maybe that's too paranoid... but fuck those guys anyways.

Well done! =)

You're a life-saver mate - and I absolutely agree, I'm astounded that nobody along the line ever suggested trying it and even had the audacity to send me a letter saying my electricity costs were completely normal for my situation. Rest assured I will be sending more angry letters before this is over.

The most shocking thing about this whole situation is that for the first three months I was living here they were actually charging me using the correct meter. Then out of the blue they decided to start using a completely different one without even telling me why.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's called a crossed meter and it's pretty common. Once it's realized what is going on, it's pretty easy to fix once they realize it.

Glad it's sorted.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Also the people who were getting your bills are in for quit a surprise, heh.

Doc on
  • Options
    FunnyFreakFunnyFreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My family once had a problem like that, we were charged about $200 more because the local company I guess looked at the wrong readings and what they said our usage was, was completely off from what our meter had. They ended up listening and fixing it for us.

FunnyFreak on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The thing you have to remember about power companies is that they will do anything they can to charge whatever they can and get away with it. Unless you proactively do something, they'll never help you get your bill figured out on their own.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »
    The thing you have to remember about power companies is that they will do anything they can to charge whatever they can and get away with it. Unless you proactively do something, they'll never help you get your bill figured out on their own.

Aye, that's what I'm afraid of in this situation. But I'm glad we at least got it sorted as to what was happening. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    japan wrote: »

I got an electriclty bill in a similar living situation for £300 and a bit for a quarter, and it turned out that the meter was broken and recording all the electricity used at peak rate.

I think your meter may be broken.

EDIT: also some of you guys seem to have really expensive electricity or are using a shitload of power.

One problem where I live (in Florida) is that your electricity companies will actually estimate your usage and charge you accordingly. It doesn't matter how much you actually use, your bill will double or triple suddenly and then several months down the line it plummets to less than 1/4 of what your actual usage really is. They don't bother checking the meters every month.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is ridiculously expensive. Like, super-ridiculously expensive. Like, what the fuck ridiculously expensive.

If you're not living someplace like the Midwest or Northeast in the U.S. (and I don't think anywhere in Britain is anywhere near that cold) with your heater set to 75, there's no fucking way that's your bill.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.