As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Non-Violent Felony record + Physics PhD = ??

Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
A little background:

So, I am attending college again and have been putting a lot of thought as to what I would like to do with my life, and where I want to go. I previously wanted to get into the technology field, then something else, then something else. I danced around with what I wanted to get a degree in for quite some time.

Recently I had a realization that I wanted to get into science and then narrowed that down do wanting to study physics and more specifically, get a PhD (right after undergrad) in either nuclear physics or applied physics. This is all possible, just takes some buckling down, a lot of math and work.

About 3 years ago I flunked out of my first year of college (lets say...5 F's 1 D and 1 C) and got myself a nice drug felony and with that 5 years of probation. I have of course seen the errors of my ways and no longer operate that way. I know that I can apply for a pardon 5 years after the end of my probation from the state and federal governments, which would alleviate the entire problem in most cases (there was no withheld judgment as part of the plea bargain, the penalty of being free I suppose).

Question(s):

With probably 7+ years of reformed life would the criminal record pose an issue when trying to enter the doctoral program?

Will a non-violent felony (if not pardoned/expunged) prevent me from working in the research/scientific field even after acquiring a PhD in the field after the felony conviction?

Will the previous failed attempt at college plague my GPA or can I get it removed from my academic record or will 4 years of high grades and entering a graduate program prevent this from being a problem? These grades where given to me about...3 or 4 years ago.

I attempted to look all this up but Google was not that helpful in relation of physicists and felonies, I am starting a plan to become a professional and not be one of those criminals who lets it bring them down. I made a mistake, I changed my life and saw what I was doing wrong. I was just hit with paralyzing fear that this might prevent me from finding a career in a field I would like to get highly educated in.

Note: Please don't rag on about the fact that I got the felony or that I shouldn't have or should know it will follow me for life...blah blah blah, I am looking for any information as to: if I should take a closer look in another field because this field of study, will yield low potential and even with all that time and academic study...I would struggle to find a job.

Anon the Felon on

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    For a professional job, it probably isn't that big of a deal, provided you interview well.

For something like secret level and above security clearance, it certainly is an issue.

Also, your xbl tag is funny.

Doc on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aye, Doc is right (as usual =) ). Just don't give up, if they push the issue, push back with your insistance (and evidence, if possible) of having quit that part of your life.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You will be able to get a clearance *possibly* around ten years from the original date. but it will be hard unless you are bad ass the best possible person in that field or you have a unique skill that they want (and then the criminal background doesn't really matter if they really need you)

I would suggest thinking about teaching or private sector if you pursue this path. The problem being "private sector" is almost 90% tied to the government anyways so the possible lack of a security clearance will make you cry at night at some point.

useless4 on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't mean to be a dick, but you failed out of college you first year and now you want to get a DOCTORATE in PHYSICS?

I'm all for you going after your dreams and what not, but it seems to me you're brushing off the fact that this is extraordinarily difficult...

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's possible, I failed both high school and several years of community college core classes before i got my act together and made a career and got my BS with Honors. Now I am on to my MBA and possibly a PH.D just to be one up on my wife.

useless4 on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    musanman wrote: »
    I don't mean to be a dick, but you failed out of college you first year and now you want to get a DOCTORATE in PHYSICS?

Depends why he failed. People sometimes screw up their educations for reasons other than lack of academic ability.

japan on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think that it's going to be a hurdle, but will not prevent you from getting a PhD. 4 years of high grades and exemplary grades in grad school will definitely help your case that you have moved on from a fucked-up time in your life. I think the felony will be your biggest hurdle, not one year of shitty grades your first year of undergrad.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you reapply to college, you don't have to mention your previous academic record do you? I wouldn't bring it up at all either now or in the future.

X3x3non on
  • MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It isn't specifically hard to get the clearance. Most of the low-level stuff is given out with trivial checks (are you currently an active, due-paying member of terrorist group that is in the middle of an operation to blow up something belonging to the Government? Please remember I said 'current' and 'in the middle of')... hell, they practically give out secret clearances in cracker-jack boxes.

Ok, seriously though, they will look at the last handful of years (depending on the level of clearance and the type of offense, as some issues are pertinent no matter how long ago they happened). Given your particular felony, do not ever expect to become an FBI field agent (no drug involvement ever from what I've heard), but it being 10+ years old, you should be fine. Just be 100% honest and forthright and never ever fall back onto the drugs (not even a little 5 minutes of "fun" at a party... but if that did happen, you would really want to tell them about it). I know people with top level clearances who spent their entire college experience on drugs. In fact, I know people who had arguments with their investigator over the fact that they did NOT do drugs despite being in high school/college in the 60s.

Of course, you first need to go through college to get that degree. It will be helpful to spend summers looking for internships with companies that do classified work in order to get the clearance before you finish school (in return for working with that company for a year or two following graduation).

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    musanman wrote: »

I'm all for you going after your dreams and what not, but it seems to me you're brushing off the fact that this is extraordinarily difficult...

I failed out the first year because I spent to much time partying and not going to class (I graduated high school with a 4.0 and several AP classes, I love education I just wasn't ready), I suffered from the issue a lot of 18 year old college students suffer from: it was my first time out in the big bad world with no one watching me. I wasn't prepared for total freedom, which in turn got me into a heap of trouble. After a few years I am now able to take responsibility and have stopped being wrapped up in self.

But thank you for the advice, going and getting the degree and advanced degrees are not the issue for me. I love academic study and working towards a goal now, previously in my life I had no aspiration and thought everything would be handed to me with a minimal amount of work. I now know differently and even relish the thought of working my ass off to accomplish what few do.

Also, thanks for the idea to go get internships at companies that require a clearance, I think that if I where to apply to a different job after that, the previous experience with a clearance where there was no problem would reflect well upon me.

Going back to drugs is not an option for me, hell I have been free of narcotics/alcohol for 3 years now and haven't looked back once (yes there are people with more time in sobriety, but 3 years with out one relapse or even the thought of relapse is quite good for an addict). Why would some one with dreams and aspirations to be great do something that stagnates you in life?

On the note of academic v. private sector v. government jobs: I am honestly more interested in working in the fields of academic research and corporate R&D before the government anyway. I don't think it would be an issue in the academic side, considering I could apply to stay on at the college I got the advanced degree from. Knowing the professors and having worked with them for years would probably make it a moot point. In the private sector I know it could be an issue, but from what I have heard if your in the doctoral program (and not just dicking around) and going to go places with it the people you work with help place you in a job (my grandfather holds a PhD in electrical engineering so this information isn't exactly made up).

Anon the Felon on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just because a school is willing to teach a felon it doesn't mean they are willing to hire or tenure one.

VisionOfClarity on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    With probably 7+ years of reformed life would the criminal record pose an issue when trying to enter the doctoral program?

It depends on the doctoral program. At most universities it’s unlikely to be a big deal aside from how it impacts your financial aid—seriously, if Bill Ayers can be tenured faculty at a big U, you can get a PHD. But make sure you don’t apply to programs run by firebreathing anti-drug types.

Will a non-violent felony (if not pardoned/expunged) prevent me from working in the research/scientific field even after acquiring a PhD in the field after the felony conviction?

Probably not. Violent crimes and theft/embezzlement are the bad ones to have. Drug convictions are a dime a dozen.

Will the previous failed attempt at college plague my GPA…

Not if you’re a good student the second time around. Especially if you do well on whatever standardized tests you need to take.

supabeast on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I know at least three people who had incredibly shitty grades (akin to yours) who later went onto finish Science PHDs and then have got post doc positions (In NZ/Au/EU and the US) at good universities - so I don't think the misstep in the first year is going to be fatal at all, assuming you can focus now

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As was stated earlier, people don't really get as bent out of shape about drug offenses as they might have once upon a time. As long as you don't have anger issues or a tendency to cook the books, you aren't a liability to the company, which is really the only thing that matters unless you get a bad deal during the interview process. Go to school, excel spectacularly, and if anyone asks about your past you tell them the truth (read: what they want to hear), that it was a mistake during your youth and that you aren't going to let it stop you from accomplishing your goals.

If you're really worried about it, volunteer hours never hurt on a resume (excepting aforementioned 'fixing to blow up the government' organizations)

TL DR on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just because a school is willing to teach a felon it doesn't mean they are willing to hire or tenure one.

An easy, nasty thing to say - do you have any knowledge or experience to back that up?

I think that the OP is (understandably) worried about an embarassing part of his life. However, as an employer myself, I would ask some penetrating questions about current drug use, and if satisfied would no longer give it any thought.

Just think how you want to explain the record and present yourself now. I don't think it will be a problem.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    X3x3non wrote: »
    If you reapply to college, you don't have to mention your previous academic record do you? I wouldn't bring it up at all either now or in the future.

Quick note: I was told this by my academic adviser, I'd like to hope it's not total bullshit, but if I'm wrong someone call me on it.

But no, you absolutely can not do that. Granted it's not a given that they'll ever find out, but if they do that's a huge case of academic fraud, and no university will ever let you back in. A postgraduate program will probably do a fairly in depth look at your records, and if they find out you are screwed.

Anecdotal evidence given by adviser: Jimmy the wanna be lawyer applies to law school after "forgetting" to put his failing years of college on his application. Law school is rather upset, not only do they deny him admission, but he is no longer able to get into any law school evar evar.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    I recently found out (today) most schools offer a program to drop a year or two (the 2 varies by school to school) of failing grades from your record.

It still shows up in a in depth examination, but they will no longer be figured into your overall GPA.

like I said, MOST offer this ability, not all. I know the school I am going to attend after I do some community college does offer it. So that sets aside my worries for entering a postgraduate program based on grades. Ability to get there is not an issue, being driven to success kind of makes it a non-factor.

Anon the Felon on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I recently found out (today) most schools offer a program to drop a year or two (the 2 varies by school to school) of failing grades from your record.

It still shows up in a in depth examination, but they will no longer be figured into your overall GPA.

like I said, MOST offer this ability, not all. I know the school I am going to attend after I do some community college does offer it. So that sets aside my worries for entering a postgraduate program based on grades. Ability to get there is not an issue, being driven to success kind of makes it a non-factor.
    Many offer an actual forgiveness program. I know this because I've used it. For the school I went to, if you re-apply after being out of school for 3 years, you're re accepted and keep the credits you earned before you left, but your GPA is reset.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Many offer an actual forgiveness program. I know this because I've used it. For the school I went to, if you re-apply after being out of school for 3 years, you're re accepted and keep the credits you earned before you left, but your GPA is reset.

Right, yeah, a lot of Universities have all sorts of neat replacement programs and all that, but the suggestion of "hey just don't tell them" is a terrible idea. Just tell them and do whatever they say you can to fix it.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Expect whatever you're applying to to look at the grades from your last schooling. For instance, going into a PhD program, they'll probably only take a passing glance at your college grades, but a very serious look at your master's degree grades.

Terrendos on
    edited January 2009
    Thats a good thing to keep in mind Terrendos, I was actually thinking of bypassing getting a masters degree (as its not required for a Sc.D) but given whats stacked against me, taking the time to get one might not be a bad idea.

Just gives more in my favor right?

Edit: Plus when applying for a pardon/record expunge, going into the hearing with a Masters, and moving into a doctoral program would be a pretty big comment on my credibility and commitment.

Anon the Felon on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are you going to a different school then the one you failed? If so, and you plan on completely starting over anyway, why transfer your credits from there at all?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited January 2009
    I am starting at the community college in the area for the first semester or two. Mostly because its half the price of the university, and because its what I could secure funding for right away, come next spring I should be able to get grants and such without trouble and will be returning to the university I originally failed at.

Oh, I am not transferring credits to the community college at all, they just got my transcript because...they are a satellite college of the university itself.

I am actually pretty excited, the uni is opening a research thing and going to redirect their focus to becoming a science/research school. I would be one of the first ([not the first, within the first bundle of students] if they stick to their time table, and I stick to mine) to graduate with an advanced degree when they get it up and running...which seems like a perfect chance to try and get a job with them.

Anon the Felon on
  • ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Provided that you end your college career well, failing out once is not a problem. In your statement of purpose, make sure to explain it and how you've turned things around. That can work in your advantage since it will demonstrate your new work ethic, etc.

Reiten on
  • b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I did the fail outta school thing cause I partied too hard and then went back a few years later. I'm going for engineering. I stopped doing drugs before I got caught, so nobody really knows nothing. The fact that I went back to school gets me props on interviews for internships and from other people. "Yes, I fucked up the first time but I'm here now and I'm not making the same mistake." I wouldn't brag about it, but don't be shy if they ask or mention it. I did make the Dean's list the first couple of semesters, so that really helps.

You just have to do really really well. Say goodbye to partying and fucking around. you're gonna be one of those people deep in books on the weekends. It's kinda an interesting change in lifestyle. I'm up late reading or studying, not being at the bar or chasing hookers. Well, only every once in a while. Seriously though, be prepared to not quite fit in. Although I did have chicks hit on my while I was studying. Some of em are like a hard studying man. Suprising, I know.

Oh, it's going to be really really hard. Espically cause you have to excel, not just do kinda okay grade wise. You're gonna miss those brain cells you killed and the surviving ones are going to be bitter about having to do extra work. Trying to earn A's is a lot harder than I thought. It was hard for me because I never learned proper studying skills the first time..or really ever. You might wanna work on how to actually study. There's all different ways and sit down and reading the book may not work well for you. You said you did well in HS but a lot of my teachers like to mention that college class is different. I don't know, HS was a long time ago for me.

Man, wait until you hit that calculus, diffique, and heavy physics shit. oh, do you get statics and dynamics, and shit like that too? ahaha, you poor bastard! Free body diagram FTW!

And you kinda can't get federal financial aid, can you? A drug conviction question is on the form. My sister lost her's when she got convicted with a drug felony. Like as soon as she got convicted, whomp, no aid. You can get private ones but federal ones are closed.

Anyway, good luck. Just remember, if ya fail, you're fucked. Keep the faith! And for God's sake don't fall in love.

b0bd0d on
    edited January 2009
    b0bd0d wrote: »
    And you kinda can't get federal financial aid, can you? A drug conviction question is on the form. My sister lost her's when she got convicted with a drug felony. Like as soon as she got convicted, whomp, no aid. You can get private ones but federal ones are closed.

It's not just federal, most schools won't give you any aid either.

VisionOfClarity on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    b0bd0d wrote: »

It's not just federal, most schools won't give you any aid either.

Depends on the particular offense, the particular school, and ability to provide documented evidence of participation in an acknowledged rehab-program.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2009
    You can still get federal financial aid, the issue is not a conviction, its time passed. If you get one while in college yes they will pull it and for a few years you won't get anything.

But its not an absolute, in fact the financial aid group thing doesn't make any noise if you have a drug conviction from 3+ years ago. The federal government also offers grants and loans specifically for felons returning to school. Which are remarkably easy to get and offer quite a bit of money.

Anon the Felon on
    edited January 2009
    You can still get federal financial aid, the issue is not a conviction, its time passed. If you get one while in college yes they will pull it and for a few years you won't get anything.

But its not an absolute, in fact the financial aid group thing doesn't make any noise if you have a drug conviction from 3+ years ago. The federal government also offers grants and loans specifically for felons returning to school. Which are remarkably easy to get and offer quite a bit of money.

It depends, were you receiving financial aid when you got your conviction?
    FASFA wrote:
    Who is eligible to receive Federal Student Aid?

To receive federal student aid, you must meet certain requirements. You must:
    Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.
    Have a valid Social Security Number (unless you’re from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau).
    Be registered with Selective Service if you are male and 18 to 25 years of age (go to www.sss.gov for more information).
    Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate or pass an exam approved by the U.S. Department of Education.
    Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at a school that participates in the federal student aid programs.
    Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study).

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited January 2009
    Nope, I was arrested and convicted after the school year had ended, and the loan was awaiting payment, I then paid it off in full 6 months later.

Anon the Felon on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reiten wrote: »
    Provided that you end your college career well, failing out once is not a problem. In your statement of purpose, make sure to explain it and how you've turned things around. That can work in your advantage since it will demonstrate your new work ethic, etc.

I'm in community college right now, after I flunked out of college my first time around. They are still transferring my credits over (the ones I actually earned), but my GPA is only factoring in the new classes I take. 4.0 so far.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited January 2009
    That bold part has exceptions and actions you can take to become re-eligible either way.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'm in community college right now, after I flunked out of college my first time around. They are still transferring my credits over (the ones I actually earned), but my GPA is only factoring in the new classes I take. 4.0 so far.

The thing is though, even though they don't factor into your GPA, all those F's still stay on your transcript, and, if you plan on doing post-Bac work, you will eventually have to explain them.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited January 2009
    That bold part has exceptions and actions you can take to become re-eligible either way.

Yeah I should have commented on that, I have already attended classes at a credited...clinic I suppose is the word, and I have been a regular attendee of AA for 2 years and plan continuing that. I knew it might be an issue down the road so I have a signed card of every time I have been to a meeting for all that time, and will continue to do so. Which I can provide copies for anyone who wants to know some of the steps I have taken to rehabilitate myself.

Anon the Felon on
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

The thing is though, even though they don't factor into your GPA, all those F's still stay on your transcript, and, if you plan on doing post-Bac work, you will eventually have to explain them.

Not even just post-bac, if they plan on transferring from the CC to finish undergrad they'll have to explain them.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Not even just post-bac, if they plan on transferring from the CC to finish undergrad they'll have to explain them.

Not necessarily. They're also pretty likely to just look at them and decide class by class whether or not they are willing to give transfer-credit and just not discuss it beyond that.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2009
    Explaining them is not that hard, and the explanation even makes sense. My issue was if it would bring down my GPA and there for denying me entry into a post-bac program. I have no issue telling people why I failed/had issues/got arrested/messed up. My issue is with it hindering acceptance before given the chance to explain.

Like (hypothetical): I would need a 3.5 to get into a doctoral program, the F's from my previous year drag down my GPA to a 3.3, and I am not even given the chance to explain why I have those F's. I just simply am not allowed to apply to the program.

Anon the Felon on