Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

AdusAdus Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Welcome to Let's Play
ff7_logo.png

Quick update navigation:

IF YOU THINK AN IMAGE IS MISSING OR BROKEN PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Disc One:

Part 1: Club Midgar Now Open! (see bottom of this post)
Part 2: Where Everybody Knows Your Name
Part 3: George is Getting Upset
Part 4: Lost in Translation
Part 5: I Do Not Want This
Part 6: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Part 7: Elevators from Hell
Part 8-1: No Sephiroth, You Are The Demons
Part 8-2: Why'd It Have to be Snakes?
Part 9: Ninjas and Dolphins and Airships, Oh My!
Part 10: Attack of the Egg Bees
Part 11: Outlook Not So Good
Part 12: The Little Buggy That Couldn’t
Part 13: The Nanaki Corollary
Part 14: Prescription for Pain
Part 15: What if everything you ever wanted came in a ROCKET TOWN!?
Part 16: Dirty Dancing 3: Wutai Days
Part 17: Potato Potato Potato
Part 18: Temple of Douchebaggery
Part 19: The Return of Picklemier

Disc Two:

Part 20: Geniophobia = Fear of Chins
Part 21: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Part 22: Breaking News: Emus are the Shit
Part 23: Dazed and Confused
Part 24: Flight of the Condors
Part 25: Stream of Consciousness
Part 26: Flavor of Loaf
Part 27: Absurdity In Its Purest Form
Part 28: Flashback Fiesta!
Part 29: Dimenticare di Ricordarsi
Part 30: Corporate Downsizing

Disc Three:
Part 31: Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse

A game which needs no introduction, but I’m a kind man so I shall assist the six people who have been out of the loop or in space for the last decade.

The highly anticipated Squaresoft RPG for Sony’s Playstation released in 1997 to massive critical acclaim and gamer praise. It boasted beautifully rendered backgrounds, an engaging storyline, and an excellent soundtrack. Whether or not those things held true to you is a matter of opinion. In fact, the unpopular opinion thread was partly what inspired me to do this.

I’ll begin by saying I do like this game. In fact, it's one of my favorite games of all time, but realize it has many flaws. For one, when it was released, the pre-rendered backgrounds were fairly nice, and battle sequences held up well against the need for higher quality characters. Sadly, the strange deformed ‘chibi’ characters used in all other sequences looked pretty awful from the start. Today, the graphics have dated expectedly, but I still maintain that some of the backgrounds are well-detailed.

Still, I’d say one of the most blatant issues of this game is the poor translation. Throughout the story, a lot of lines are poorly worded, oddly constructed, or just plain indecipherable. Reznik said it best as “a story that might be described as only kinda-confusing becomes incomprehensible to a lot of people.” I’ll do my best to clarify what’s going on in those cases, but I can’t make any promises.

I’ve played this game through a number of times, but during the last few I went to the Gameshark to ease the pain of leveling up. I’m not going to do that this time, but I’ll say it has probably been many years since I last played legit (possibly as many as 10), so bear with me.

This LP will be presented in Screenshot Format, obviously. Not only do people not want to watch 30+ hours worth of videos, they certainly don’t want to watch said videos with commentary by me as spontaneous commentary is not my strong suit. This will be my first LP. I’ve read through and watched a fair amount of LPs, but obviously this will be far from perfect. Criticism and suggestions are welcome. I’ll do my best to incorporate some interactivity in terms of character naming and such.

Also this will be a satire/humor based LP. A bit odd since I'm known for being rather serious amongst my friends and coworkers, but the game certainly lends itself to joking, not to mention the alternative would be an informative or expert play LP and I am neither well-informed or an expert at FFVII. Though I'm going to be keeping the story as intact as possible, with summaries or thoughts as it progresses. So I suppose it's partially informative. Oh uh, just a standard warning, I curse a lot in it. This is a Penny Arcade forum so I assume no one cares, but if for some reason you do. Well, too bad I guess! Also, while I may get venomous toward certain characters or plot points, remember that it's just all in fun.

The very pretty PS3 Tech Demo where they remade the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwxHEeU2TTw

With all that said. Let us begin.

Part 1 - Club Midgar Now Open!

Spoiler:

End notes: Rereading this update after like 25 others almost makes me want to rewrite it, but that would be cheating. I may fix some of the shots later, though. I know this is like 30 shots for 5 minutes of gameplay. This won't be the ratio all the time as that would mean about a million shots total (rough estimate). Future updates have turned out to be between 40 and 70 shots for each "section" of the game. Sections seem to typically be about an hour in length not counting world map travel and any level grinding you do in between.

I'll be poking fun at the game's flaws, so it's okay if you do, too. Let's not turn the thread into an FF debate though, please. I do my best to update regularly, but there's no set schedule. Anywhere from 1-3 days seems to be the norm so far.

Adus on
Smrtnik

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FFVII is my favorite RPG and screenshot LPs are the only kind I like.

I'll bite. About to look now.

kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like where you're going with this, but if you take this all the way, you have got your work cut out for you.

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good luck on this. Many have attempted a Final Fantasy VII lets play but most don't make it out of Midgar alive. I hope you are of stronger stuff.

• GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Food wrote: »
    Good luck on this. Many have attempted a Final Fantasy VII lets play but most don't make it out of Midgar alive. I hope you are of stronger stuff.

Ripley: These people are here to protect you. They're soldiers.
    Newt: It won't make any difference.

Thought it was appropriate. :)

PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Adus. <3
    I'd like to nominate a new name for Cloud: Squall.

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User
    edited January 2009
    You better fucking finish this let's play, I don't think I can take another heart break after the Chrono Trigger LP died.
    Spoiler:

D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • DoctorGateuxDoctorGateux Registered User
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I like where you're going with this, but if you take this all the way, you have got your work cut out for you.

Considering how long a finished one would be hurts my head.

Completely god-like if you do finish it though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I say keep all character's names.

Except Cait Sith. I don't care about that motherfucker.

And you should run low level and use a different set of party members for each update.

And you should get Beta from the Midgar Zolom before you enter the Mithrill Mines.

And don't quit.

• PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good luck with this, looking forward to it.

steam_sig.png
  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    screenshot LPs are the only kind I like.

You wouldn't like a LP voiced over by Christopher Walken or Vicent Price ?

XBL: Invisible Man PSN: Indrik
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Egos wrote: »

kTNzrVi.png?2
    edited January 2009
    Egos wrote: »

Guess not...I would love a Christopher Walken Lets Play of Mario 64.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It would be much less time consuming to do a video LP. There's too much information in this game to be as detailed as part 1 the whole time.

Unless this is your full-time job. Because if it's not, it will be.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Screenshot LPs are great for those of us who like to speed read. :P Also, for LPers who have a terrible speaking voice(like myself).

But yeah, for this game, that is a mammoth endeavor.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sir, I wish you the best of luck.

Because you're going to need it.

Plan on editing together screens and text well into Summer.

WeskerSig.jpg
    SteamID - Fig-D :: Xbox Live - Fig D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy shit screenshot lp for this is just.. oh my god.

Not to sound like an ass but have you ever done an lp before? Because if not then really you should not try to attempt a screenshot lp of final fantasy 7 for your first lp ever..

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If Barret gets renamed anything, it HAS to be "T" just to set up a later joke.

leonroughdividesig.jpg
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 XBL - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And protect them from the evils of the world like trigonometry and prime numbers.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good luck! The last attempt here only made it to the Don...

redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • SchideSchide You have dreams Everybody watching at home has dreamsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's not really any way you do a video lp of a game this long, it wouldn't be good at all.

All I have to say is I hope you can finish this because it's unfortunate when an lp is left unfinished.

x7SZWSn.jpg
    Amazon Wish List -- Backloggery -- 3DS Friend Code: 3282-1850-1742
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Good luck! The last attempt here only made it to the Don...

Hm, I didn't even see that. I did multiple searches, too. I am quite a failure. That model mod sure is interesting. However even if I had it, I'd keep the old models for nostalgia's sake. I figure if my commentary doesn't satisfy, maybe some people will look through it for the memories, at least.

Anyhow, to everyone warning me. Yeah, I'm totally aware this'll take a lot of work and probably like, a year to finish, but I'm going to do my best. Thanks for the well wishes, though. I just hope it remains interesting enough, as I'm not anywhere near being a professional writer or comedian, nor are either of these things my career (IT/Network Admin). Anyhow, working on the 2nd update now.

It ends at naming Tifa. No one really took advantage of Cloud or Barret other than MinionofCthulhu, so don't blame me if you don't like the names! Well, I guess you can blame me for Barret's since I chose his.

So if you want to get a head start on Tifa name suggestions, go for it.

edited January 2009
    Tits McGee

kTNzrVi.png?2
    edited January 2009
    It's a shame Tits McGee won't fit.

EDIT: FUCKING MIND MELD OR SOME SHIT.

WeskerSig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Did, uh...were you responding to me, or did we just think alike?

'Cause that was quick.

kTNzrVi.png?2
    edited January 2009
    Great minds, sir. Great minds.

WeskerSig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    But in seriousness, whenever I played VII, I named Tifa "Lockheart," because 1) it sounds cooler than Tifa and 2) it's her last name.

kTNzrVi.png?2
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »

Dont trust him for he is a mind taker!

1552168226mkc2.gif

Anyway I never liked gimmick names because honestly after the first 20 times it gets old and not funny.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • SchideSchide You have dreams Everybody watching at home has dreamsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tits McGee was the first thing that came to mind for me as well, but I just dismissed it as being too obvious.

x7SZWSn.jpg
    Amazon Wish List -- Backloggery -- 3DS Friend Code: 3282-1850-1742
  • DoctorGateuxDoctorGateux Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Anyway I never liked gimmick names because honestly after the first 20 times it gets old and not funny.

I dunno, sometimes if the dialogue got drab and predictable it livened things up. Like, in FFIX I'd call Amarant Lobster just to see him say 'They used to call me the Flaming Lobster.'

I suppose it's sad that I find that funny though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In my game Barrette was Mr. T, the vampire dude was Batman (DO EEEET!) and Aires was "Victim"

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
    edited January 2009
    This update was larger than expected. Still trying to get used to deciding what to leave in and cut out.

Part 2: Where Everybody Knows Your Name
    Spoiler:

End Notes: Like it has been said, this is time consuming, but I am pressing on. Updates will probably be every 3-5 days or so as a result. As updates go on, I'll probably try to cover more game in less shots. Sadly, the story may end up lost in there, but considering how much time you spend on just an hour of gameplay, it's not really practical to shoot every line of dialogue. Not to mention I run out of things to say eventually. It's pretty obvious here that near the end I was running on fumes.

Also, if anyone knows a good place where I'll be able to upload the million images this'll eventually be without worry, I'd appreciate the tip.

• MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »

Dont trust him for he is a mind taker!

1552168226mkc2.gif

I disagree. The LP for FF8 was made by the silly names. C'mon. Robert? Worf?
    And the obligatory renaming of Rinoa's dog to 'Vaginal'.

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited January 2009
    Oh dear, forgot about me already? Well I did not forget about you, fine people.

Part 3 - George is Getting Upset
    Spoiler:

edited January 2009
    Slum Drunk is tempting. The girl has been with pretty much every male in all of Midgar, and that's just the ones the game tells you about.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I'm sitting here at work cracking up. This is great stuff. I haven't played it in so long that I've forgotten how absolutely terrible and confusing some of the dialog is.

How about naming her "Crackabis"? You've still got the "is" at the end of her name, you're making a funny Nelson Mandela joke (if you've ever seen Ruddy Hell), and you're perpetuating your theory that she's actually a drug dealer. It's win-win-win!

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, you're asking for a rename of Aerith...

...Given the following reasons (all of which will be under a huge spoiler tag, so if you haven't completed it, or heard the plot, or have only just crawled out from under a rock, it's your own fault for clicking it :P ) :
    Spoiler:

Therefore, I say we rename her "Mary Sue".

leonroughdividesig.jpg
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 XBL - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You should just name every character Sephiroth. (I actually did that once.)

I always hated Jessie. Thanks for putting that bitch in her place.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've never had the opportunity to play FF VII.

Also I'm hearing impaired so I hate Video LPs. Screenshots are preferred!

So basically: This Thread Rocks.

Oh and my GOD are those graphics dated now....I really hope they remake the game soon because I don't think I could play that...ugh...

3DS code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited January 2009
    Therefore, I say we rename her "Mary Sue".

I like all that spoiler-tag information culminates to this 8-)

• EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You need to name Aeris "Jessie."

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For some reason labarbra just popped into my head. Perhaps too much futurama?

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????