As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    Prepare for the single update Disc 3 then. It's ready but the hosting site seems down, and I don't feel like going to another one just for one update, even if it is the last.
    ETA? :)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ultimate Weapon is so fun to chase around.

By fun, I mean pretty annoying.

I bet the eventual remake will put in fights with the exploded weapons, and maybe a voltron style combined weapon fight.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Prepare for the single update Disc 3 then. It's ready but the hosting site seems down, and I don't feel like going to another one just for one update, even if it is the last.

Whenever the site chooses to work again.

And it's amusing that the last disc is mainly for the final movie, because it totally messed up on me. So I have to link a youtube. Whatever though. I already had like 70 shots without it.

I was gonna kill Ultimate before going back to Midgar in the last update, but while flying around and chasing him, he literally pushed me into Midgar starting the dialogue script which parachutes you in without giving you a chance to say "wait, hold on!"

Adus on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Whenever the site chooses to work again.

And it's amusing that the last disc is mainly for the final movie, because it totally messed up on me. So I have to link a youtube. Whatever though. I already had like 70 shots without it.

I was gonna kill Ultimate before going back to Midgar in the last update, but while flying around and chasing him, he literally pushed me into Midgar starting the dialogue script which parachutes you in without giving you a chance to say "wait, hold on!"

That sneaky fucking Weapon.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I feel like the battle victory music should start playing right now. Actually it is playing. In my head. Forever. I hope you're all happy.

Part 31: Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse

311kv.jpg

Hope you didn’t forget about him. I started chasing him around before the Midgar portion, but he actually knocked me into Midgar, starting the section without my consent. Quite annoying. Anyway, Ultimate Weapon is really quite a joke. Not only does he fly away after every 10,000ish damage allowing you to full heal before the next time, but he does pretty shit damage too apart from maybe Shadow Flare which actually did kill Banana once.

But he died pretty easily, and from killing Ultimate Weapon you get Squall’s ultimate weapon Ultima Weapon… uh, yeah…

312rtz.jpg

But we shall waste no more of. Time to descend down into the Northern Crater.

313s.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Jailbait and I will go left. All you fuckers can go perish horribly on the right.’

314p.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Hmm, perhaps I shouldn’t have ignored that agonizing scream a few paces back…’

315t.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Where are the dinosaurs? Damn you for misleading me, Jules Verne!’

316u.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Hey are you guys even listening to me? I said let’s mosey!’

cidhead.jpg ‘If we pretend we can’t hear him, maybe he’ll eventually say something less gay.’

317k.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Have I told you guys lately that I hate you all with the fury of a thousand suns?’

318ae.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Why? Oh right, I forgot you and your hatred of sticking together. I’d tell you to piss off, but there are only two other useful people here anyhow.’

319z.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Haha, yeah you’re probably right. Hey, guess what? You’re coming with me again. Suck it.’

3110g.jpg

We continue downward into the most improbable planetary center ever where we fight crazy monster after crazy monster.

cloudhead.jpg ‘Goddamn, I got sober for this?’

3111a.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh man, crazy tentacle monster and we have a young, Japanese…ish girl here ripe for the picking? …Oh well, it’s for the good of the planet.’

3112j.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘But at least put a shirt on… please.’

Jenova Synthesis. At the end of this countdown she casts Ultima, I think. She never got lower than 5… which is what it starts at. An interesting thing to note is if you have Knights of the Round and you use it here, it adds 60,000 hit points to the next Sephiroth battle, and 80k to the final one. Not like you need to. She’s weak as hell. This is the alien that started all this shit?

3113r.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh man, this is what Jenga must be like in Hell.’

3114q.jpg
    3115.jpg
    3116.jpg

My assumption is that is Holy, and the red shit is something Sephiroth is doing to stop it from being released. If he can hold back the ultimate white magic, what fucking good are we going to be?

3117.jpg
    3118.jpg

cidhead.jpg ‘Agh! Real men… do not… lose control of their bodies!’

3119.jpg
    3120.jpg
    3121a.jpg
    3122.jpg
    3123l.jpg
    3124c.jpg

Doooon’t care how. I want it noooooow!

3125.jpg
    3126.jpg

What? That doesn’t make any sense! I give up. Let’s just get it over with.

3127p.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘This is it! No going back for a change of trousers now! And believe me, I’d really like to!’

3128.jpg

Bizarro Sephiroth is a pretty pathetic fight. You kill the limbs and head before the body and core, but seeing how I had no level 99 characters and didn’t use Knights on Jenova, he barely had any hit points. Jailbait pretty much double-cuts for 8kish, plus has counter. Squall can Slash-All for about 6-7k.

3129.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh yeah, those guys…

No.’

You actually get to make a second party. But they’re all pretty weak, nor did I have a lot of extra materia, so we don’t care about them. Fuck you, other members.

He went down quickly.

3130.jpg

Are you ready… to disco?

3131c.jpg

Safer Sephiroth. A mistranslation of Seraph Sephiroth, I believe. One Winged Angel begins to play in the background, which is probably one of the most recognizable pieces of Final Fantasy music. Again, since I had no characters at 99, nor used Knights on Jenova, he has a pathetic amount of hit points. That being said, the fight still gave me a couple scares since he can cast Shadow Flare like Ultimate Weapon

Oh yeah, and this:

3132s.jpg

Longest spell sequence in the game save Knights of the Round… Quite irritating if you end up having to watch it more than once. Not to mention totally immersion shattering due to the nature of the attack, as if there was any to begin with.

3133.jpg

Quick, someone do that math for me.

3134.jpg

An attack which flies through planets…

3135.jpg

Lands into the sun…

3136.jpg

Destroys more planets as it expands… (Also names them all as they perish. Guess this answers our question that we are indeed on Earth, since we’re in the same solar system. Despite this, a lot of FF7 material claims the planet is called Gaia or Gaea or something. Who gives a shit, really?)

3137.jpg

Then slowly expands towards us. I get this attack is sort of a "rule of cool" thing where it exists solely to be awesome looking, but come on now. If he can do this, why the fuck did he even need Meteor?

3138.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh god, hot hot hot!’

3139.jpg

Without even realizing it, I win.. A few attacks later he begins to dissolve. This is the easiest game ever.

3140.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘How many times do I have to say it? I DO NOT CARE.’

3141.jpg
    3142t.jpg

This line serves a double purpose applying to this entire plot as well as to prepare you for the plot of Final Fantasy VIII.

3143.jpg

Of course he is. If we can get assaulted by our sun exploding in our faces, why would a few sharp objects stall him?

3144.jpg
    3145.jpg

What I can gather here is Squall’s mind still needs to fight off what remains of Sephiroth’s hold over him.

3146.jpg
    3147.jpg

Whoops, the timer hit zero. Time to Slide again.

3148.jpg
    3149.jpg
    3150.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Haven’t had enough? Well then. Let us end it here for good.’

3151.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Normally we can’t get you to shut the fuck up and now you’re not talking at all? Fine. I’ll do the talking.’

3152.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘In the name of cliché anime endings and all my pseudo-friends!’

3153.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I have the poweeerrrr!’

3154c.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Lockheart! Staying by my side throughout a very harrowing detox!’

3155.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For FIRE DOG! Heating our noodle cups!’

3156.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Loaf! For having the worst backstory ever!’

3157.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Not A Spy! Being a total fucking douchebagel until the very end!’

3158.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Dr. Acula! For releasing the greatest A capella folk polka black metal album in history!’

3159.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Banana! Using the same weapon throughout the whole damn game!’

3160.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Jailbait! For always keeping her pants unbuttoned!’

3161.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Mary Sue! Keeping the world’s oldest profession alive… until she died!’

3162x.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Tseng! For doing what we all wanted; Pimp-slapping Mary!’

3163.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For Marlene! Giving me a hard one anytime I need it!

…Drinks, perverts!’

3164.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘For you… Sadly sings destiny…’

3165p.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Respice post te, Sephiroth…’

3166.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Mortalem te esse memento…’

3167.jpg

cloudhead.jpgAnd go to fucking Hell.

(My end video messed up, so here’s the youtube. It would have been too many shots and I wouldn’t know what to say anyways.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4_sw0trdNc

3168.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘That’s it?! What the hell!? Is the world safe!? Are we dead like Biggs, Wedge and Jessie who died agonizing dea-

…Ah nuts to this. Come on, JB. Let’s go get a soda pop.’

There we go. The ending is definitely rather ambiguous and left people debating its meaning long after it was released. It’s safe to say, however, that Sephiroth is dead and Mary Sue helped conjure up the Lifestream to support Holy in destroying Meteor. Fatfuck Palmer is never heard from again and FIRE DOG has… children? (How? He was the last one! He must have been a hermaphrodite. Yes, that is clearly the explanation.) Everyone maybe happily ever after because by the laughing children at the very end, humanity must not have been wiped out… Yeah, I don’t get it either, but there you have it.

What is this Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus you speak of?

Hope you all enjoyed. Thanks for sticking with me and being supportive, despite some of my admittedly very immature jokes and lulls in decent commentary (especially during disc two and more specifically this last one). The whole experience was positive for me. I learned a lot about the game and doing LPs, and also that I curse way too much. Sorry about that. So maybe I’ll do another sometime, but I honestly have no idea what it would be.

And also thanks to Leovinus' FFVIII for giving me groundwork to go on, not that he'll read this. Any similarities to any other LPs is completely coincidental.

Thanks again to all the readers, President George watches you from above.

Adus on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for providing an excellent and entertaining Let's Play :)

Jragghen on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    *standing ovation, with scattered tears of happiness*

Bloody brilliant, mate. Enjoyed it from the first day and it stayed golden all the way to the end. Someone get this man a medal!

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, I can't believe you finished it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WOOO! You've done what no one has ever accomplished on these boards.

also I know that last fight is supposed to be cinematic and what not and not a real fight but one time when i fought him right before the limit gauge was filled he attacked, i countered and he died... sort of made it feel like a pointless fight to me

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Great job!

I'm sad that it's over :( What am I going to do at work now?

Shujaa on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You deserve a pat on the back and a stiff drink man. Not only did you actually manage to finish the game but you kept your LP entertaining throughout. Good fucking show.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man, that last disc just went by, eh?
    Good work, Adus. :D

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A Sliders reference in the final update? For the WIN.

Thank you sir, for allowing me to experience this game. What a conflicting mess it is, too! I have to say, having just finished it, I think Final Fantasy VI had a better ending. Better music, too. But that's for another thread. Kudos on a job well done!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'll have to take your word for it. I never played more than an hour or so of FFVI. Though I do vaguely know the ending. So I'll look forward to Xenogears of Bore's FFVI LP. Keep on the lookout for that one. Though it's not a parody I think he said, just to be clear.

But yeah, as harsh as I could have been at times, and as silly as the story can be, I still love this game. I actually really enjoyed playing it again and without cheats.

Here are some ending statistics if you're curious:

Playtime: 38 hours, 27 minutes. (There was an instance where I accidentally left the game on while going out to dinner, so I don't remember how much that affected it.)
    Number of images: 1,961 (Average of 63 per update)
    Total size: 89mb (Average 2.87 Mb per update)

Thanks again for the support.

Adus on
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adus, that was really well done. Great work.
    Now do another one.

Someone report the OP for awesome. I can't.

jot on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nice job, fella.

Food on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Now you can do Crisis Core!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jot wrote: »

Someone report the OP for awesome. I can't.

done.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nooo the first update sucks. They're strict about what they consider awesome there. They'll tear me to pieces!

Adus on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've asked to see if they'll accept your LP on the Let's Play Archive site. I think it needs to be preserved for future generations.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nooo the first update sucks. They're strict about what they consider awesome there. They'll tear me to pieces!

But it has links to all your other updates, right?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Shujaa wrote: »
    I've asked to see if they'll accept your LP on the Let's Play Archive site. I think it needs to be preserved for future generations.

I was actually considering doing the same. It says it's SA only, but I guess it can't hurt to ask. Plus it'd be nice, because there's no FF7 LP there.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    Well, that was fantastic.

I had my doubts at the beginning.

Glad to be proven wrong. Quite awesome.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome, you finished it.<3

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    well done for finishing, guy

YaYa on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It was over so suddenly. :| Well done, all the same.

What's next?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That was amazing, good sir. I'm not really saying anything that hasn't already been said, but I thought it was fully entertaining the whole way through.

Just think! People were calling you insane(indirectly) for doing your First LP ever as FFVII! Damn well done.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure what's next, if anything. Like I said before, the whole reason I chose FFVII was because I wanted to LP something to get it out of my system, and this was the only game that I held enough affection for that I figured I could tolerate doing all this work on. Not to mention it had plenty of broken English and absurd plots to assist me in being funny. If left completely to my own devices, it's difficult for me to be witty in any consistent fashion.

I had enough fun to where I'd like to do another, but I've barely played any games in 10 years thanks to things like MMOs, school and work sucking my free time away.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [Let's Play] World of Warcraft~

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adus, that really was amazing, all the way through! Good job!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    *standing ovation*

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Congratulations on finishing. Not even the Something Awful LPer managed to get past launching the rocket before the inane story drove him insane/bored to tears.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And also thanks to Leovinus' FFVIII for giving me groundwork to go on, not that he'll read this. Any similarities to any other LPs is completely coincidental.

THERE'S A FF8 LP!?!?!!?

Would anyone kindly be able to link me if they've got it favourited, or even point me in the right direction? 'Cos I'd love to see someone take the piss out of FF8, even though it's my favourite. :P

Gotta say Adus, VERY nice job. This has been consistently funny throughout which is not an easy task!

One thing though, in that final vid Cid looks incredibly female. :P Especially as his cigar slowly drops out of his mouth.

So, I really didn't miss out on much with my disc 3 being totally screwed. *Shrugs*

Stupid capped internet, I'll have to comment on the rest of the final video another time.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

THERE'S A FF8 LP!?!?!!?

Would anyone kindly be able to link me if they've got it favourited, or even point me in the right direction? 'Cos I'd love to see someone take the piss out of FF8, even though it's my favourite. :P

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/FF8/

Now to see if it's still your favorite after you read this.

Schide on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Schide wrote: »

THERE'S A FF8 LP!?!?!!?

Incidentally, make a note of the rest of that LP archive. In addition to the FF8 one, Scorchy's KotOR II and (especially) Chewbot's Animal Crossing LPs are some of the greatest things to ever grace the internet. Pace yourself, though. If you read all of those after Adus's work here, everything else you read may seem tortuously dull and pointless by comparison. Indeed, so may all life.

Monger on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Monger wrote: »

THERE'S A FF8 LP!?!?!!?

Incidentally, make a note of the rest of that LP archive. In addition to the FF8 one, Scorchy's KotOR II and (especially) Chewbot's Animal Crossing LPs are some of the greatest things to ever grace the internet. Pace yourself, though. If you read all of those after Adus's work here, everything else you read may seem tortuously dull and pointless by comparison. Indeed, so may all life.
    It's true.

Amazing that this LP actually finished though.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Indeed. The Animal Crossing one is probably the most brilliant LP I've ever seen. I also tend to like games that are bad and/or enrage the player. Sonic 2006 is quite an epic in that context. I also found Desert Bus quite amusing once they get into reading bad fanfiction (which is in Desert Bus 2 and 3 I believe) though the other parts are a bit annoying or boring.

Also there are some finished video LPs of FFVII on youtube, so it's not like I was the first. They didn't sound like they had voices that were good for LPing though. One guy actually read every line, which would drive me mad.

Adus on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nicely done, Adus. Your fortitude is an example to us all.

Maybe this can substitute for my yearly playthrough.

Sepah on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Oh god. I had no idea this website existed.

I'm going to lose every spare moment of time between now and the next two weeks. And it will be glorious. :winky:

RisenPhoenix on