As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WH40K: Tonight we're gonna party like it's m40.999 (New Ig on page 66)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait what?

I thought that was a general rule for transports now?

The FAQ specifically states that the IG cannot do that.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jeez.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I played my usual game against orkz today, using my Khorne for the first time. Everyone else bailed soo...

Anyway, melee vs melee felt very weird. We were basically fighting over the charge the whole time, as we rolled annihilation. A few highlights:

1. Killed his Warboss turn two with my Vindicator. A Gretchin survived the same blast.
    2. His three rokket Deffkoptas took the entire game to kill said vindicator. He imobilized and removed the cannon early on, but could not kill it till turn 6.
    3. I won with a wipeout on turn 7.

I was able to get every single charge into melee except for one (where my berserker's were slaughtered by his some odd 54 attacks).

Fun game, but I don't think I ever want to do just plan annihilation with two melee armies again. Just meh.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    drama_drama_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    on the claws/combi-melta discussion, couldn't you mount the ranged weapon on the claws and make it part of the technology? sorta like sammael's recessed twin linked bolters

drama_ on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait what?

It is, but in the IG codex, it specifically says that other units can't use a unit's dedicated transports, and the codex over rides the core rules.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey Tim, what regiment are your guard from again?

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait what?

It is, but in the IG codex, it specifically says that other units can't use a unit's dedicated transports, and the codex over rides the core rules.

Just like how Black Templar still have to pass leadership for target priority

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is mostly in response to the discussion about Tim's monument in the Painting thread... I don't wanna go off-topic in that thread though:

Ya know, I was just thinking about how I wanted to ask for recommendations for good novels that tell of awesome IG regiments/battles and awesome IG heroics... It reminded me of the scene in the second novel of the Ultramarines Omnibus (Warriors of Ultramar). Captain Ventris was fighting a particularly large tyranid (I don't think it was quite a 'few... maybe a Warrior?) at a breach in the defensive wall... He was knocked back, and the beast prepared to impale him when BAM! rocket to the face from a Guardsmen nearby. That Guardsmen then went on to fight alongside Ventris and his Sergeant.... Chainsword in hand obliterating Tyranids left and right, spurred on to feats of valor and honor by the space marines with him. He was eventually cut down, but Ventris saved him and got him to the hospital.... in the end returning to hear he would be well, and leaving a purity seal on his chest before leaving the planet.

So, it's happened before, so a monument to guardsmen saving a marine/fighting alongside one will be awesome.

But more importantly... Recommend to me good novels about IG and how awesome they are :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »

6th Arcadian Infantry. Colonel Hector Penny commanding.

AKA "Penny's" Arcadians.:winky:

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    But more importantly... Recommend to me good novels about IG and how awesome they are :P
    Any of Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghost novels, or any of Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain novels would be a good place to start.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    Any of Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghost novels, or any of Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain novels would be a good place to start.

Double Eagle is fucking amazing. While technically about fighter pilots, the main pilots are Imperial Guard, not Navy.

Also it has LeGuin in it and he is an awesome badass. Abnett needs to spin him off and get him another tank destroyer.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited March 2009

I knew it was some kind of Arcadian regiment. Anyways, 6th or 5th, I came across this earlier and figured you might like it:
    1235942918110.jpg

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I knew it was some kind of Arcadian regiment. Anyways, 6th or 5th, I came across this earlier and figured you might like it:
    1235942918110.jpg

Holy fuck. Yet another reference to a planet I just made up due to the name of this forum. How freaking coincidental can this get?

Also it seems I organized my regiment correctly...

That's actually pretty damn close to my color scheme.

Other References I found only after I named my regiment:
    1st Arcadian Rifle Division is listed at taking part in the 3rd war of Armageddon. (I've since incorporated this into my regiment's history.)
    Imperial Armor 1 has several tanks from an Arcadian tank regiment. The color scheme on those are almost identical to what I had started painting mine as yet I got IA 1 well after the painting started.

It's a sign guys. My destiny is to play Imperial Guard. It's like someone is trying to tell me, "you made the right decision with those Guardsmen."

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

1235942918110.jpg

Holy fuck. Yet another reference to a planet I just made up due to the name of this forum. How freaking coincidental can this get?

1st Arcadian Rifle Division is listed at taking part in the 3rd war of Armageddon. (I've since incorporated this into my regiment's history.)
    Imperial Armor 1 has several tanks from an Arcadian tank regiment. The color scheme on those are almost identical to what I had started painting mine as yet I got IA 1 well after the painting started.

It's a sign guys. My destiny is to play Imperial Guard. It's like someone is trying to tell me, "you made the right decision with those Guardsmen."

More like some dude at GW was flipping through these forums and went, "Holy shit! Someone who actually *LIKES* IG, and is making it more popular with OTHER PEOPLE?!?! Let's do what this guy is doing!"

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well the image I posted was from 1st ed, so unless that guy had a time machine... :P

Dayspring on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I gotta say I like the helmets.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well the image I posted was from 1st ed, so unless that guy had a time machine... :P

Well, they ARE British...

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've always been curious, Could you make a viable 1500pt Tyranid list with as many warriors as you could and still be competitive?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With Deathspitters I think you could indeed. Str 6 Blasts...everywhere? Okeedokee. Throw in a Venom Cannon/Strangler Fex for some AV and you should be good to go. With 2 wounds and just stick in cover, not to mention no ID, it should be possible.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2009
    So I think I have my work cut out for me. What I have to paint:

3 Dreadnoughts (because I like Dreadnoughts)
    10 Terminators
    4 "special" marines
    20+ Banger Marines
    5 Devastators

I've painted two squads so far, one of which I intend to repaint. I think I'm up for the challenge though, and I got about two weeks more off to do it. Only problem is sitting up straight is still kind of uncomfortable and will probably be for a few more days...

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Feh, you think that's something, look at what I have on my desk in front of me:
    lb018.jpg

30 tac marines and 20 assault marines to get my SM army up to snuff, and then there's still four dreds, a couple razorbacks and a vindicator to deal with. I'm going to be at this for months. :P

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That makes me feel better.

edit: do you customize the marines much, or keep the details down?

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hey Dareth - I've been meaning to say, you guys at relic did an amazing job on the game. What's your position there? (as a Developer myself, I'm very interested :P )

How many guys that worked on the Project actually play the game? I would imagine someone that plays had a LOT of input and I sense that it was more than just GW.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Hey Dareth - I've been meaning to say, you guys at relic did an amazing job on the game. What's your position there? (as a Developer myself, I'm very interested :P )

How many guys that worked on the Project actually play the game? I would imagine someone that plays had a LOT of input and I sense that it was more than just GW.
    thanks, but credit goes out to far more then just me. I really hope DoW2 does well and I'm glad people are liking it. Hopefully the badshit can be fixed soon...

As for my position, it's a secret. It's not really that cool and earns a lot of 'Oh,' responses when I tell people and I usually end up explaining how it's different from positions at other companies.

As for play, do you mean play table top? Tons of people play 40k at Relic. Passionately.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think somebody mentioned the Marine/Guardsmen statue Tim is making. That got me thinking that it might be cool, background-wise, to have a Space Marine chapter that, as a quirk of it's particular cults, actually revered the Guard. I mean, Space Marines aren't really human. It wouldn't be much of a stretch for a particular chapter to place itself in the category of other abhumans, like Ogryns or Ratlings. From there they start revering Guardsmen and the Guard as representing "true" human bravery, while Space Marines are more of a necessary aberration.

Truthfully, I like coming up with entertaining background almost as much as I like the game itself.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man.. there haven't been any new guard rumors in a long while..

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man, people are still crying internet tears over the last one.
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    That makes me feel better.

edit: do you customize the marines much, or keep the details down?
    Most of the customization is in the model itself. Variant helmets and postures. One assault marine used a tech marine torso and axe, one uses the old metal apothecary body, (these guys will be Vanguard) another has the old metal standard, another has a chainsword in each hand. That aside, they all pretty much have the same paint job. I'm just going for something that looks good on the tabletop, not something that you can blow up to this size and still have it look super-completly-awesome-real.
    lb012.jpg
    lb017.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, I just read the Hive Tyrant rules(never really looked at the codex much before), and he seems... rediculous.

Seems like a Tyrant with Scything talons, a Barbed Strangler and adrenal glands(WS) would be a steal for its points.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    They're nasty, but they come with a 3+ save standard, and the upgrades to a 2+ are expensive. The only INV save they can get is 6+, also expensive. Hit them with any unit that has power weapons/fists and a couple of ablative wounds and they're going to have a tough time of things. Pepper them with high strength/low ap firepower and they're going to start accumulating wounds.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They're nasty, but they come with a 3+ save standard, and the upgrades to a 2+ are expensive. The only INV save they can get is 6+, also expensive. Hit them with any unit that has power weapons/fists and a couple of ablative wounds and they're going to have a tough time of things. Pepper them with high strength/low ap firepower and they're going to start accumulating wounds.

True, but I suppose I'm comparing them in my head to space marine HQ's. It just seems to be so much better for its points.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That Rosarius/Iron Halo and the IC joining units rules really are a lot more useful than a lot of people realize. Tyrants generate a lot of hate towards them, like all MC's, ans meltaguns/lascannons will be aimed at them and the carnifexs from the start.

So SM HQ's might not seem as worth it, they'll probably stick around longer.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ?g2_navId=xaad02018 Also one picture that may not be work safe Demon stradling a penis mount on a rhino.

So at the local game club we decided to do a more themed battle so we figured the Battle for Terra is the best place to start. Not as many points as we normally pump out, and not as many titans as at the actual battle. But it was a successful game, one of our best apocalypse (if not the best) we have had yet. The only problem we had was one guy dropped out halfway through and had been running around making the chaos turn a bit confusing. Lots of just started models in the pictuers by the way, our goal was to at least give things there base color.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Raslin wrote: »

True, but I suppose I'm comparing them in my head to space marine HQ's. It just seems to be so much better for its points.
    SM HQs can also get a 3+ inv save for about half what it takes a Tyrant to get a 6+. They can take a command squad that will easily rip a tyrant to shreds in a single round of CC (albeit an expensive one). Also, SM HQs lead an army filled to the brim with 3+ armor saves. Hive Tyrants? Their army is top heavy with 6s, 5s, and a few 4s. You have to consider the unit in the context of the army it's a part of, you can't just straight up compare to units and their point costs for two different armies and get anything useful out of it. It's why the anti-Necron whine, 'but a Monolith is cheaper than a landraider and filled to the brim with awesome sauce! No fair!' fails to hold water.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    delroland wrote: »

1235942918110.jpg

More like some dude at GW was flipping through these forums and went, "Holy shit! Someone who actually *LIKES* IG, and is making it more popular with OTHER PEOPLE?!?! Let's do what this guy is doing!"

I've got over a full Platoon of these guys (the original Plastics/some metals) from Rogue Trader and I tried to follow the paint scheme back when I thought Testor's Enamel was good enough to paint miniatures. I've since repainted, but am still getting out of playing Guard.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    ?g2_navId=xaad02018

So at the local game club we decided to do a more themed battle so we figured the Battle for Terra is the best place to start. Not as many points as we normally pump out, and not as many titans as at the actual battle. But it was a successful game, one of our best apocalypse (if not the best) we have had yet. The only problem we had was one guy dropped out halfway through and had been running around making the chaos turn a bit confusing. Lots of just started models in the pictuers by the way, our goal was to at least give things there base color.

Those Nurgle models are freaking great. The Dread and the tentacle/skeletal/brain-exposed guy are my favorite. Is he representing Typhus?

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    ?g2_navId=xaad02018

Those Nurgle models are freaking great. The Dread and the tentacle/skeletal/brain-exposed guy are my favorite. Is he representing Typhus?

I believe so, There were three different nurgle players on the board, one of whom backed out early and never really explained his models.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That tank with the cock monster hood ornament with demonic whore straddling it is pretty bold

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah That guy has a ton of neat conversions, I don't think he takes that one anywhere but the local game club though. Considering the youngest players we have are 17.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That tank with the cock monster hood ornament with demonic whore straddling it is pretty bold
    You could say he had...balls.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That is amazing. He sculpted a giant set of balls on a rhino.

Sharp101 on