As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WH40K: Tonight we're gonna party like it's m40.999 (New Ig on page 66)

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Asher, you planning on playin' Nids in the new DoW?

Yesssssss! The nid's looking awesome in DoW II was what inspired me to start up a little fleet of my own. I guess I'll give everyone a shot but nids look the coolest. Marines do look pretty fun to though, because I am a lap dog of the Imperium and Techmarines are fuckin' wicked.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, after posting a similar thread on the Warhammer Fantasy thread and getting loads of helpful responses there, I'm doing the same here. But with more dakka.

I'm getting back into tabletop gaming after a hiatus and am looking to blow the dust of my armies and get back into it. Unfortunatly it's been three years or so since I have and my knowledge of anything remotely 40k is pretty McWeaksauce.

At the moment I have the following:

2,000+ points of Grey Knights (I just got into GW and they looked the coolest. Yes, mock away.)

2,000+ points of Nid Hunter Imperial Guard which may or may not be playable with the new book on it's way. Bollocks.

But I'm bored with them and looking to buy up a couple new armies but I'm kind of lost in the wilderness over what to get. My flatmate - who's beardiness is legendary - is suggesting the following:

Dark Angels: I want to do the whole thing. Deathwing, Ravenwing, and vanilla Astartes. I've loved the lore behind the DA's and really, really enjoy painting Dark Angels Green. A lot.

Plague Marines: Tough and also lots of painting with the color green. And entrails. Woot.

Orks: My flatmate says that a well constructed mob is tough to beat, especially with the edition rules and the gear they get with the new book. I've always wanted to play them and their fantasy counterpart because they look fun.

IG Armored Division: I just like tanks. That is all.

Nids: According to my flatmate, Nids are the army to beat this year. I disagree but then again, I smell strongly of n00b.

Like everyone I'd like that beatstick list that makes people stutter uncontrollably, but I also want something that's going to be fun to paint and play. So any suggestions you may have for these armies or to knock down any assumptions I may have are apreciated.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man

One of the other forumers stopped by here the other day, and dropped off a metric goddamn ton of bitz. He described himself as a lurker, and I just realized I never discovered what his actual forum name was, but he apparently played Nids and Tau and had a bunch of bitz he wasn't going to be able to use, because he was leaving the country for work. Being an awesome sort, he came by Sunday and dropped said leftovers off here with me, so that I could do horrible things with them.

I have a shit-ton of Tyranid parts now. There's like enough limbs, heads, and carapaces here for 4 carnifexes, but no bodies to put them on (not to mention stuff from the smaller gribblies). I am thinking a Trygon might be in order, because they're really the only things I can think of that I could use so many damn scything talons on.

The Tau stuff is equally awesome. I have a lot of limbs and extremities, so I need to bitz order some bodies to put everything on.

I can't begin to overstate how much bitz are here, though. Scott, you are the man, whatever your forum name is.

Ein on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zahaladeen wrote: »

At the moment I have the following:

Orks: My flatmate says that a well constructed mob is tough to beat, especially with the edition rules and the gear they get with the new book. I've always wanted to play them and their fantasy counterpart because they look fun.

Depending on where you look on the internet, I would say the Orks are considered one of the strongest armies out there right now. I don't play them, but there's plenty on this board who do that can fill you in on the glory of the greenskins. And if you want to get beardy, supposedly one of the toughest units in the game to deal with right now are Ork Nob Bikers.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Nids: According to my flatmate, Nids are the army to beat this year. I disagree but then again, I smell strongly of n00b.

This seems like a bit of a weird statement. Not that nids suck or anything, but eh.

Anyway, you should pick orks for the following reasons:

1) Orks are massively competitive. I think they tend to rank pretty highly in tournaments and such right now, if that kind of thing appeals to you.
    2) The ork codex means you can make loads of different (and viable) types of ork army. Horde of boyz, mechanized, loads of kans, loads of shootin'. With the ability to make Nobz a troop choice you can also make them a small elite type force.
    3) They're orks, so you know they'll be fun to paint/convert/play
    4)WAAAGH
    5) Oh god what time is it I should be in bed

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Orks do not do so well when a unit of sisters jumps out of a rhino, hits them with five flamers, and then a basilisk, a Leman Russ, a Demolisher, a Hellhound, and just for insult, four mortars, all throw their weight into the argument. There was this humongous hole in what used to be a very scary tide of green. :lol:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »

This seems like a bit of a weird statement. Not that nids suck or anything, but eh.

I'm just partial to Orks and how tough they are. I have nothing but love for Nids and Nid players. From my limited perspective it would seem to me that Eldar/Orks/IG las-cannon-o-rama are great lists.

Then again, I don't know anything IE ignorant of what's genius right now. Right now I like Witch Hunters because there are womenz. And boobz. And large caliber weaponz. And boobz.

Orks sound like a win just because of being able to convert everything. I'd love to take a remote control car and turn it into a Wartruk. Plus the Forge World gear looks sweet too.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just need to jump in this thread to say:

The new Kaptain Badrukk miniature is amazingly good. Like, I've seen the pictures, but holding it in your hand is another thing entirely. He is such a big goddamn ork, he towers over normal boyz. They nailed the scale on him. And his gun is obscene. Everything about this miniature is lovely.

Ein on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Like everyone I'd like that beatstick list that makes people stutter uncontrollably, but I also want something that's going to be fun to paint and play. So any suggestions you may have for these armies or to knock down any assumptions I may have are apreciated.

Dark Angels are cool, but if you're not using their advantages to their fullest (deathwing and/or ravenwing) there's no reason to play them. Codex marines do standard stuff far better.

Plague Marines are awesome. Great at taking objectives as well as kill points, and lots of modeling opportunities. But don't sell yourself short by thinking that you have to play an all nurgle army; you can, but you don't have to.

Orks are a very strong army, and they can be strong no matter what kind of list you want to run. Not only are they ridiculously fun to play, but they have some of the best models anywhere, ever.

IG Armored Company you should stay well away from until the new book comes out. There's no telling whether or not you'll be able to use all the stuff you buy.

Nids: It sounds like your mate doesn't really know what he's talking about, to be honest. Nids are good, but not as good as they were in 4th edition. Their key advantage is mobility, and that can be a very difficult advantage to capitalize on in every situation. The old nidzilla list is currently dying a violent death in GTs and various other tournaments around the world, though some skilled players can still make it work. Balanced bugs are the best bugs at the moment.

SJ on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Dark Angels are cool, but if you're not using their advantages to their fullest (deathwing and/or ravenwing) there's no reason to play them. Codex marines do standard stuff far better.
    Like? I haven't really studied the new SM codex, so I don't know what all the differences are. Is there anything that is just OMG dumb that would make me stop using the DA dex?

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Better unit selection, better rules for some of the standard wargear items, better rules for the vehicles.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From what I understand, some unit and wargear options in the new SM 'dex are cheaper than the DA equivalent.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ORKS IT IS.
    Now I have to think of a list worth a toss.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As long as you don't take Mad Dok Grotsnik in order to give your entire army Cybork bodies, it's hard to go completely wrong...

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Better unit selection, better rules for some of the standard wargear items, better rules for the vehicles.
    Can you be more specific? I Don't need the actual rules just what units and items and vehicles I should look at would be helpful.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As long as you don't take Mad Dok Grotsnik in order to give your entire army Cybork bodies, it's hard to go completely wrong...

I was thinking Kult of Speed, paint it red, and buy lots of Orks on bikes. Is there a Kult of Speed list in the codex that allows you to use bikers as a troops choice? I'll check when I get home...

Thanks for all the great responses guys, I apreciate it.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I was thinking Kult of Speed, paint it red, and buy lots of Orks on bikes. Is there a Kult of Speed list in the codex that allows you to use bikers as a troops choice? I'll check when I get home...

The special character Wazdakka Gutsmek does indeed let you take Warbikes as Troops.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Can you be more specific? I Don't need the actual rules just what units and items and vehicles I should look at would be helpful.

Better tactical squads, better drop pod rules, better Storm Shield rules, more wargear options for characters, better librarian powers, better captains, Combat Tactics, better veterans (sternguard and vanguard), scout bikers, better whirlwinds, another land raider variant, better cyclone and typhoon missile launchers, more dreadnought variants, awesome special characters. I think that about covers it.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ElderCat wrote: »

Better tactical squads, better drop pod rules, better Storm Shield rules, more wargear options for characters, better librarian powers, better captains, Combat Tactics, better veterans (sternguard and vanguard), scout bikers, better whirlwinds, another land raider variant, better cyclone and typhoon missile launchers, more dreadnought variants, awesome special characters. I think that about covers it.

WHOA, scary avatar upgrade alert.

Almost everything you posted is kinda "Meh" for me. As for the upgraded storm shield and cyclone ML and the new variants, I will point out the most important rule in the DA FAQ. I will miss the upgraded wargear options and the slightly cheaper heavy weapons for Tac squads, but I will probably always take a DW or RW squad, and then everything kinda evens out.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    First off, thread title is totally a rip off of mine

Second, critique my ork list. I feel like I don't have enough boys, or enough anti-tank, but I'll let you guys help me decide
    1500 Codex Orks

HQ: Warboss w/ Power Klaw and 'eavy armour - 90
    or
    HQ: Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field and 'eavy armour - 90
    or
    HQ: Warphead - 85

Troop: 10 orks w/ PK Nob - 95
    Trukk - 35
    Troop: 10 orks w/ PK Nob - 95
    Trukk - 35
    Troop: 20 Orks w/ PK Nob and 1x Big Shoota - 160
    Troop: 20 Orks w/ PK Nob and 1x Big Shoota - 160

Elites: 12 Burna Boy's w/ 3 as Mek boyss - 180
    Elites: 10 Tankbusta's w/ 2x Tankhammer - 150
    Elites: 15 Kommando's w/ PK Nob = 185

Fast Attack: 15 Stormboys w/ PK Nob - 215

Heavy: Looted Wagon w/ Red Paint Job & 2x Big Shoota's = 50
    (Burna's go in here)
    Heavy: Looted Wagon w/ Red Paint Job & 2x Big Shoota's = 50
    (Tankbusta's go in here)

1500 points(or 1495 with warphead)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2009
    so I'm looking to vary my wolf guard leader models a bit from the squads they'll be placed in. What's a good, useful, alternative weapon to have for a guy in a squad that uses primarily bolters (a power fist, melta gun, and power axe are the exceptions).

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »
    It Burns, you don't seem to have (m)any template weapons.
    You have a decent number of mans but you still might get swamped.

I could take out a predator and put in a whirldwind, I like those a lot too. I don't think that'd be enough tough, I may need to get more templates in there. Maybe drop the land speeder aswell for another whirlwind.

@ Raslin: You could try to add a small unit of grots. 10 of the little dudes and a runtherd go for 40 points and they can hold an objective, freeing up one of you mobs to advance instead of staying back to hold it. Unless you place your objectives in enemy territory but I've tried that without much sucess so I can't recomend it. :P

@ Dareth: I don't have the wolves codex so I might be wrong here, but a plasmagun would be nice, it's a rapid fire weapon with 24" range like the bolters. If you're looking for a different close combat weapon you could try lightning claws.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Stormbolters are nice, but only if the unit is meant to assault eventually(for wolves, this isn't exactly unlikely)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am overwhelmed by the scale of that strikeforce box

also as predicted I'm now eyeing up some alpha legion iconography on forgeworld

no cover save for wallets!

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Mayday wrote: »
    Warhammer 40k: I just bought too many fucking marines.

I mean Jesus Christ, I got 2 Dreads, 10 Termies + 2 assault cannons and 5 metal scouts + scout sarge for fucking $22,5 How could I have not bought this?
    But I also bought AOBR + 10 additional marines a few days ago, so now I'm swimming in those fuckers, gonna have to sell some of it back I guess.

Mayday on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;8654377']I am overwhelmed by the scale of that strikeforce box

also as predicted I'm now eyeing up some alpha legion iconography on forgeworld

no cover save for wallets!

I thought of building a Alpha Legion Army with the codex where they get cultists and other hangers on as meat for the grinder
    I was going to build them off of generic space marines with the alpha legion colours
    So I could explain why they have an army of thralls is because the leader whomever that is thinks they are loyal space marines

I got my Black Templar army way back during the Battle for Armageddon summer battle. It was one of the prizes in the tournament.
    I started to assemble and play with them because I grew bored with my Eldar army
    I would have to go look I know I have tons of marines and little else. I keep working on my command squad and then picking something else because I think that this part or this look is better It just never ends.

Brainleech on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I got into alpha legion at that time, and then they changed the colour scheme and dropped the cultists - I was disappointed to say the least. I need to repaint my forces and lose the cultists, though I did think of using them as counts as lesser daemons...

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well that'd be a pretty nice solution, provided your cultists are pretty cultisty.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How does this 1k Tau list look?
    Shas'O 115 pts
    - Plasma Rifle
    - Fusion Blaster
    - Multi Tracker
    - Hard Wired Blacksun Filter

12x Fire Warriors 210 pts
    - Shas'ui
    - Devilfish

- Shas'ui
    - Devilfish

- Shas'ui
    - Devilfish

1x XV88 Broadside 90 pts
    - Shas'vre
    - Targeting Array

Hammerhead 165 pts
    - Railgun
    - Smart Missile System
    - Disruption Pod

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Hey Zahal,

Kult of Speed is pretty effective if you go Trukk-heavy. There is a character in the ork dex named Wazdakka who lets you take ork bikers as troops. However, it's worth mentioning that biker-heavy armies are not very powerful in game terms due to their pretty significant points cost. I've playtested a biker army twice, and both times it's been pretty easily overwhelmed by your standard Marine list. Nob bikers, on the other hand, are supposedly an unstoppable force of nature, and have been causing a lot of trouble for opponents at Tournaments, but taking just Nob Bikers and Warbosses (to make them count as troops) will leave you with a very one-trick pony list. A squad of bikers would supplement a list great with powerful mobile shooting, but if you put all your eggs in one basket you're going to start having trouble.

Ork Trukks themselves are ridiculously handy on the virtue of their 'Kareen' rule, which means that when they inevitably blow up, there's a decent chance the orks it's carrying will be just fine. Putting 11 boyz and a Nob with a Klaw in a trukk with a Reinforced Ram is an excellent way of getting in your opponents face by turn 2 or 3, and killing said face. I would usually much rather throw a 10-man Nobz squad in a trukk kitted out to the nines than pay for Nob Bikers, myself.

Ein on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So here is what I'm thinking of doing for mt 1500 point Armored Company list for next month's paint and play.

HQ: Exterminator with 3 heavy bolters
    Elite: Vanquisher with lascannon
    Heavy: Demolisher with heavy bolter
    Troop: Leman Russ with lascannon
    Troop: Leman Russ with heavy bolter
    Troop: Leman Russ with heavy bolter
    All have Extra Armor

Total: 1430

Additions are the bottom three Russes. I contemplated added more specialized units like the other two demolishers or the Tank Hunter, but in the end I felt that I needed more shots going down range per turn.

This will mean that the last of the Sentinels will be heading back to base. Their reconnaissance work has been vital in the preliminary skirmishes, but the armored company is now full engaged and their scouting is now unnecessary.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I got some boyz along with the rulebook (wish it was a paperback but meh) and the ork codex (which is super awesome compared to the old 3rd ed one) but I have a newbie question.

If my Nob has a twin-linked shoota and power claw (because that's the only weapons I can use that means I can still get ten boys with sluggas and choppas out of the sprues) does he still get an extra melee attack from having two close combat weapons?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No. Weapons like power klaws have to be paired with a second power klaw in order to get to 2 CCW bonus.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah okay, that's different from when I used to play, I think. It's very hard to keep track of all the changes but fun too. Thank you very much for the help!

815165 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I ever get more disposable income, I am getting into this game. Right now, I just read fluff and forums and look at minis, play with the space marine painter, etc.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ein wrote: »

Hey Zahal,

Kult of Speed is pretty effective if you go Trukk-heavy. There is a character in the ork dex named Wazdakka who lets you take ork bikers as troops. However, it's worth mentioning that biker-heavy armies are not very powerful in game terms due to their pretty significant points cost. I've playtested a biker army twice, and both times it's been pretty easily overwhelmed by your standard Marine list. Nob bikers, on the other hand, are supposedly an unstoppable force of nature, and have been causing a lot of trouble for opponents at Tournaments, but taking just Nob Bikers and Warbosses (to make them count as troops) will leave you with a very one-trick pony list. A squad of bikers would supplement a list great with powerful mobile shooting, but if you put all your eggs in one basket you're going to start having trouble.

Ork Trukks themselves are ridiculously handy on the virtue of their 'Kareen' rule, which means that when they inevitably blow up, there's a decent chance the orks it's carrying will be just fine. Putting 11 boyz and a Nob with a Klaw in a trukk with a Reinforced Ram is an excellent way of getting in your opponents face by turn 2 or 3, and killing said face. I would usually much rather throw a 10-man Nobz squad in a trukk kitted out to the nines than pay for Nob Bikers, myself.

You're right. I looked at the points I'd have to spend for a biker list it seemed inefficient for the cost. I'm looking at putting my Boyz in a slew of truks and two squads of nobs on bikes. I don't know if I'm going to put a character in there yet. What I'm trying to do is put as many squads of boys into trucks as possible and like you said: get them across the board for the Stomp-O-Rama.

I was thinking about buying a squigoth but then... are squigs REALLY built for speed? Would an Ork paint a squiggoth red? Is there such a thing as speedy-rampaging-homicidal-fungus?

So two questions: what's your list you're playing (not trying to gank your list, just seeing how mine jives up) with and what's a good resource for some clever Ork conversions?

Thanks in advance.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I ever get more disposable income, I am getting into this game. Right now, I just read fluff and forums and look at minis, play with the space marine painter, etc.

Do what I do. I don't have the time or money to properly play any more, but that leaves me free to buy and paint whatever I like, whenever I like.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This will mean that the last of the Sentinels will be heading back to base. Their reconnaissance work has been vital in the preliminary skirmishes, but the armored company is now full engaged and their scouting is now unnecessary.

Noooooooooo

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Asher wrote: »
    Asher, you planning on playin' Nids in the new DoW?

Yesssssss! The nid's looking awesome in DoW II was what inspired me to start up a little fleet of my own. I guess I'll give everyone a shot but nids look the coolest. Marines do look pretty fun to though, because I am a lap dog of the Imperium and Techmarines are fuckin' wicked.

Pfft, their Bio-Mass will be added to our own. (Totally going to try and make the Grey Knights when I can afford it)

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2009
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    so I'm looking to vary my wolf guard leader models a bit from the squads they'll be placed in. What's a good, useful, alternative weapon to have for a guy in a squad that uses primarily bolters (a power fist, melta gun, and power axe are the exceptions).
    In a similar vein, what's a good weapon to give a WG leader model in the equivalent of Devastator squad? I was just thinking of throwing in another rocket launcher just for the hell.

the squad already gets a leader with a power weapon, so throwing an additional one with another heavy weapon seems good.

Dareth Ram on