As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car problem, fuck snow.

plantersplanters Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So today my car swerved, I was too close to the curb and my right front wheel hit it. I parked and went outside to check the damage, the body is fine it was just the wheel. When I started driving it the car was just so shaky and it wouldn't really go in the direction I want it to, it would kind of zig zag. Also, for the wheels to be in a straight forward position, the steering wheel would have to be turned 180 degrees. Anyone know what are the possible thing(s) I broke?

planters on

• Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bent tie rod comes to mind. Probably also bent the wheel if you hit hard enough to bend the rod and the lower control arm might be bent as well.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anything associated with the alignment could be fucked.

Gonna have to take it in to the shop.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you are lucky, you knocked the wheels out of alignment.

You also could have bent the wheel. In that case you have to buy a new one - try a salvage yard before purchasing a brand new one from a tire shop.

Either way, you MUST take this in to a shop. Find someone who will give you a free estimate, then once you know whats wrong, you can call around and price it out and find the best deal to get it fixed.

Best of luck.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    plantersplanters Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to take it tomorrow I'm just wondering how much it's gonna cost, and if I can even drive it to the mechanic.

planters on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009
    planters wrote: »
    When I started driving it the car was just so shaky and it wouldn't really go in the direction I want it to, it would kind of zig zag. Also, for the wheels to be in a straight forward position, the steering wheel would have to be turned 180 degrees. Anyone know what are the possible thing(s) I broke?

No. You should absolutely not drive it to the shop.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    robothero wrote: »

This is a serious problem, call a tow truck.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »

If you have AAA call the tow truck through them and it will be relatively cheap (of free depending on your membership)

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    Lord Yod wrote: »

If you have AAA call the tow truck through them and it will be relatively cheap (of free depending on your membership)

One time, a friend of mind was stuck somewhere without AAA.

She called them for a tow, instead of paying, they let her sign up right then and there, and then processed the tow and got it for free [ since the car shop was within 5 miles of where the car took a dump, after 5 miles the towtrunk driver charges ]

Buttcleft on