As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm thinking of taking two full-time jobs...

McClyMcCly Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
It'll probably be only for a few months, but I feel like it's necessary to get me through the current financial situation I'm in. Has anyone else done this, or have any advice?

kbellchewiesig.jpg
McCly on

• Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It vastly depends on your personal life: school, family, friends, significant other, pet(s), commute worries could all be factors, not to mention stress levels and how you handle them. In this economy, it might be a good idea on paper, but sanity's valuable, too.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's most definitely doable for a few months if you have a very strong work ethic, and do not mind putting the rest of your life on hold. Having strong workaholic tendencies is very helpful, but not required.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried it once. After 3 weeks I couldn't handle it. I was working from 8 to 14 hours days. 7 days a week. I didn't have time for anything else other than work and sleeping. The girlfriend at the time was not too happy.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Learn to eat during your short breaks, and take naps during your lunch breaks, assuming you get either.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, the need for money is definitely motivation, and my girlfriend is moving out-of-state in about a month. I'm not a very social person, so that's not too big a factor. I just hope to have at least 1 or 2 days a week off from both jobs.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can only comment as someone who had a full-time and a part time job a few years back (14 hour days), but some of the things carry over:

-You will spend a lot more money on eating out when you do this, because you'll be working and when you're hungry you want to eat something good, who cares what it is. It adds up. Even if you bring food with you some days you'll think "Screw this, I'm working a lot, I want something better than a turkey sandwich."

-You have to accept that for however long you do it, that's it. If you try to skimp on sleep, you won't make it, and make mistakes that can screw you over on both jobs. Take the weekend to catch up and work out and recharge.

-Don't do it if you have a pet, or let your pet stay with a family member or someone who will look after it. It's not fair to the animal to only see you when you sleep, and have to be alone for 2/3 of the day. I didn't have a pet (and you could swap in kid or significant other in this too) but thinking about what Aoi says its true.

In all, it can be done, and for me was a real zen thing, helped me really understand people are just wusses these days who can't handle anything. As long as you have nothing depending on you, do it. Looking back, it really helped in establishing just what is tough and not tough. It makes all the meaningless mishaps that happen in a boring work office seem so insignificant.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wish you good luck. I dropped my second job as a waiter after a meer two weeks because despite making very decent tips, the thought of going into another job after being at the office all day was nothing short of vile to me.

Try to make sure one of the jobs is something you really, really want to do. If waiting tables sounds abhorrent, don't do it. If, however, your selling video games or something, and think talking games with people a few hours a night sounds great, then that will probably make it easier to bear.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's only doable if you can do it without skimping on sleep. If you start to skimp on sleep you will fail.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    One full-time, one part-time, and six credits of classes here.

It is doable in the short-term, for a month or maybe two, and it can make for some interesting stories/life experience, but if I were you I would cut back on all the spending you can cut back on first and see how things go financially having done that. A full-time and a part-time would be difficult as well, but perhaps more feasible.

If you do decide on two jobs where at least one is full-time, make sure you have one full day off. That day can do wonders for your sanity.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    -You will spend a lot more money on eating out when you do this, because you'll be working and when you're hungry you want to eat something good, who cares what it is. It adds up. Even if you bring food with you some days you'll think "Screw this, I'm working a lot, I want something better than a turkey sandwich."

There will likely also be 2x travel costs involved, unless one or both jobs can be done at home.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Make sure the jobs know about each other and realize that you most likely won't be able to come in on short notice if somebody calls in due to the other job. I tried doing 2 jobs at once one summer and ran in to this. The boss at job #1 basically told me that if I kept turning down shifts due to job #2 I wouldn't be around for much longer. Job #1 paid a lot more so I had no choice but to quit job #2. That's another thing: if one job is a lot better than the other, it probably won't work out. You won't care enough about the crappier job to put enough effort in to it.

Smurph on
  • Options
    FunnyFreakFunnyFreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's going to be extremely difficult, and honestly, I don't think it's that great of an idea. It'll cause more stress, and less sleep Upside is, it can help with money. Like smurph says though, make sure the two jobs know about each other.

FunnyFreak on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, be careful when it comes to taxes, making 2x the money can cause real surprises come January if it puts you in a different tax bracket.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DVG brings up the important point. Hypothetical situation follows:

Bracket 1: $20000-$34999 = 15%
    Bracket 2: $35000-$49999 = 20%
    Bracket 3: $50000-$74999 = 25%

Lets say the two jobs bring in $20000 and $40000, you'd be taxed $3000 and $5250 + $1000 = $6250 respectfully because taxes are paid in a ladder format (so 15% * $34999 + 20% * $5001 to cover all $40000 of job 2). Now, when you work both of these jobs together, you'd be making $60000, which means a tax cost of $5250 + $3000 + $2500 = $10750. This is a difference of $1500 that would not normally be considered in the amount each employer withholds.

Now, my example is trivial; the real brackets are different and there are various tax laws that do various things to these numbers. There is also social security and medicare withdraws, state and federal taxes, retirement funds, etc. You can combat the extra costs by changing your tax information, asking for more to be withheld, but that will obviously reduce the amount you take home.

If you are certain you can get the money together in time for tax day, then you should be fine... but do remember that it will bite you by a bit.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Shit, there's a federal income tax penalty for working multiple jobs, too, I believe. I forgot about that.

Edit: nevermind, I'm on crack. When you fill out your W-4 for your second job, though, just make sure you fill it out accurately. They'll automatically withhold more since there's a section on there for having multiple jobs.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why is there a tax penalty for that? That sucks. =( I wish I had more to add than that... but it sucks that someone would be penalized for performing more duties.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Dr SanchezDr Sanchez Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are you out of work/a student now?

I only ask because in my experience this decision is very easy to make when you have no job and are sick of your free time. Not so easy when full time work makes you realize how precious your time off is.

If you already have a full time job and are considering picking up a second, all the power to you, I couldn't do it.

Dr Sanchez on
  • Options
    XaiokXaiok Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The past two summers I worked 7 days a week for the first 2 months and 6 days a week for the last two months, 10-16 hour days. Normal schedule: Wake up at 5:30, breakfast, get to work (via bike) by 6:30, work til ??, go home around 7pm usually, shower and have dinner, visit girlfriend for a couple hours (normally watching a movie or a few episodes of a show on dvd in which I would fall asleep during more often than not), then go home and sleep in a bed for a few hours and restart.

Of course some days were better, and some days were much much worse. Once got back to the shop just before midnight, and home at about 12:45, crash and wake up in a few hours... Of course, at least you'll be at multiple jobs, but I have to say I started HATING seeing my coworkers, there was a week where no one barely spoke while working because we'd seen so damned much of eachother.

Xaiok on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DVG wrote: »
    Also, be careful when it comes to taxes, making 2x the money can cause real surprises come January if it puts you in a different tax bracket.

one of the jobs is as a contractor and isn't taxed on the paycheck. Will that make a difference?

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Urgh, I'm working two jobs right now. It sucks donkey balls. Money though...

I'm fairly exhausted

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    DVG wrote: »
    one of the jobs is as a contractor and isn't taxed on the paycheck. Will that make a difference?
    Set aside a third of it into an ING savings account or CD of some sort. That's "no-touchie" money. A CD or T-bill would probably be ideal, since you can't cash those in easily. Once you file taxes next year, pay what you owe from that, whatever is left over is yours.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Set aside a third of it into an ING savings account or CD of some sort. That's "no-touchie" money. A CD or T-bill would probably be ideal, since you can't cash those in easily. Once you file taxes next year, pay what you owe from that, whatever is left over is yours.

I don't know if this is a good idea; isn't there a penalty on the 1040 if your withholding is far enough below what it should be?

If the contract employer really won't withhold taxes for you (which seems strange to me), there's a way to adjust for it on the W-4 of your other job. The form comes with a worksheet to do the calculations. (I had to work through a variant on this since my wife and I both work.)

Kevdog on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kevdog wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I don't know if this is a good idea; isn't there a penalty on the 1040 if your withholding is far enough below what it should be?

If the contract employer really won't withhold taxes for you (which seems strange to me), there's a way to adjust for it on the W-4 of your other job. The form comes with a worksheet to do the calculations. (I had to work through a variant on this since my wife and I both work.)
    There generally isn't a withholding if you're a contract employee. You're considered self-employed. You may be able to set up a quarterly payment, though.

Thanatos on