Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Ps3 Failure Stories...

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS
edited November 2006 in Archives
For the rest of us that did not get one, whats your story? I am sure there was some crazy stuff that happen. Mine not so much but here is my story.

BestBuy and Target said they would not allow lines until 24 hours before. I rolled by there 40 hours before and there were already 40 people at BB and I went to Target and there was "15" Only 5 there when I got there. People would leave at 10am and come back at 5pm because they had class and everyone that was at the front of the list backed up all the people comming and going for hours at a time. They had this bullshit list they made, not by Target. When we asked Target about the list they said it did not count and Target had no real system to handing out tickets for a ps3. Just who ever is at the front of the line. It was all Bullshit, I never seen anything this bad. Basicly the biggest group of friends had control. Also one guy bought a spot in the line for 500 bucks.

EliteLamer on
SEGA
p561852.jpg

• EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2006
    The rainchecks are useless right? Just gives you a preorder for the next shipment whenever that is correct?

SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • KarfKarf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:
    The PS3 IS a failure story.
    You're birth was a failure story!
    Oh snap, you burned him big time. He will be reeling from that one for the rest of his days.

sig9.gif
  • [GHSC]Ryctor[GHSC]Ryctor Registered User
    edited November 2006
    ya it gave me the option of getting one in the next shipment. I didnt pay anything at all so I didnt care if I had it or not.

You'd be surprised the amount of damage a hauler can do in the right hands ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu
    edited November 2006
    That sucks dude, at least it was only 19 and not 48.

SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • LegacyLegacy SCP Of The Digital Frontier The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:

Your grammar is a failure story.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Captain UglyheadCaptain Uglyhead Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:

Your mis-spelling of "your" is a failure story!

(this is fun)

Edit; ^^^Augh, beaten.

Spiderweb Software makes fun, reasonably priced games for PCs and Macs. Big demos, too!
    edited November 2006
    Its ok.. I'll be getting my wii. Its all i really care about. I'm half tempted to head to sears tomorrow and see if ours in town is stupid enought to do the same thing atleast one in alabama did and break their street date.

You'd be surprised the amount of damage a hauler can do in the right hands ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    so I searched ebay for fun and there seem to be a lot of 0 feedback users driving up prices (fake bids). One ps3 is at 11 million dollars, there are a few 5ks.

• KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2006
    Better they think you a common thread thief, than a common thread assassin

lost_sig2.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm going to beat up people who get a PS3.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User
    edited November 2006
    TelMarine wrote:
    so I searched ebay for fun and there seem to be a lot of 0 feedback users driving up prices (fake bids). One ps3 is at 11 million dollars, there are a few 5ks.
    Anyone else think this is HILARIOUS?

gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
    edited November 2006
    That wont be a fair fight.

SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • KarfKarf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    EliteLamer wrote:
    That wont be a fair fight.
    Yeah, man.

They'll have a PS3 box, which has to be like 20 pounds. They whack you with it, Dead Rising style, and run off into the night.

sig9.gif
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    oh.. I thought this was going to be about hardware failures.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    People started lining up everywhere 3 days early. Unfortunately I have a life so I could not do this.

3DS Friend Code: 0817-5033-8184 // Nintendo Network ID: AbsoluteZero
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

YAY I GOT PS3! NOW TIME TO PLAY _________! "Disc Read Error" *george constanza* SONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

edited November 2006
    I bet the blu-ray fails in 3 months.

SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited November 2006
    I anticipate hardware failure stories within a day or two.

• EpiphyteEpiphyte Registered User
    edited November 2006
    TelMarine wrote:

YAY I GOT PS3! NOW TIME TO PLAY _________! "Disc Read Error" *george constanza* SONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
    There's a dude over on SA who had precisely that happen to him. Bricked right out of the box.

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

There's a dude over on SA who had precisely that happen to him. Bricked right out of the box.

That poor guy.

• EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, I suceeded in not buying a PS3.

It was pretty easy, although I did camp out for a while in my apartment to accomplish it.

In all seriousness, though, I haven't bathed in days.

georgersig.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

That poor guy.

He probably tried to mod it.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

I anticipated failures, but not right out of the box. Wow... a $600 14 lb paper weight.

edited November 2006
    He could mod it into the coolest george forman grill ever....instead of letting it just be a paperweight. Or a boat anchor.

• BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

I anticipated failures, but not right out of the box. Wow... a $600 14 lb paper weight.

"You're paying for potential!"

But seriously, did this guy turn the power off during a firmware upgrade, or was it really dead immediately out of the box?

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    Spoiler:
    edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

Yeah, he basically got the short end of the statistical stick. You'd figure at least a couple boxes got handled roughly in transport and ended up being broken before they were put on shelves.

Edit: No firmware issue. The unit won't even turn on, so the power supply is probably borked in some way.

• UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [quote=[GHSC]Ryctor]He could mod it into the coolest george forman grill ever....instead of letting it just be a paperweight. Or a boat anchor.[/quote]teh ps3 is heuge lawl

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Your grammar is a failure story.
    Huh? Oh crap! :o Stupid typos and their stupid... [/damagecontrol]

:(

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

Er... for any highly sophisticated product, there will inevitably be lemons "out of the box".

sig.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ohhhh the forum is going to be a fun place today...

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    One PS3 failure was the failure of teh guy on the Gamespot Live video.

Failed to sell some HASH meng!

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    EliteLamer wrote:
    For the rest of us that did not get one, whats your story? I am sure there was some crazy stuff that happen. Mine not so much but here is my story.

BestBuy and Target said they would not allow lines until 24 hours before. I rolled by there 40 hours before and there were already 40 people at BB and I went to Target and there was "15" Only 5 there when I got there. People would leave at 10am and come back at 5pm because they had class and everyone that was at the front of the list backed up all the people comming and going for hours at a time. They had this bullshit list they made, not by Target. When we asked Target about the list they said it did not count and Target had no real system to handing out tickets for a ps3. Just who ever is at the front of the line. It was all Bullshit, I never seen anything this bad. Basicly the biggest group of friends had control. Also one guy bought a spot in the line for 500 bucks.

God damn my lack of initiative sometimes. I didn't even need to buy one of these god damn things to exploit stupid people? All I had to do was show up early and sell my spot to some dumb ass? While the actual unit might fetch more on eBay, it's hard to ignore that kind of turn around.

I actually wonder how many people are actually buying these for themselves. I have yet to talk to anyone who was buying a system for anything other than selling online (or other sales arrangements).

steam_sig.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Henroid wrote:

kefka.png

But seriously, the next little while is going to be interesting. There has to be a limit to the amount of bad PR Sony can take until it finally negatively affects them.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    Spoiler:
    edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

Er... for any highly sophisticated product, there will inevitably be lemons "out of the box".
    true, not only for "highly sophisticated" products, but pretty much any sensitive devices.

I honestly think that if it's so new that it isn't proven reliable yet, then it shouldn't be released to consumers.

• FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY EVERY DAYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drez wrote:

Yeah? Shit, that was quick. When's the PS4 come out?

xcomsig.png
    edited November 2006
    BTP wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

kefka.png

But seriously, the next little while is going to be interesting. There has to be a limit to the amount of bad PR Sony can take until it finally negatively affects them.

With the amount of negative press and opinion they've generated, only one thing can balance it out and save them:

http://www.globalorgasm.org/

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2006
    Fallout wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Yeah? Shit, that was quick. When's the PS4 come out?

I'm not sure Nintendo will make one. They are going to buy Sony in five years, after all.

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    BTP wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/BornToPlay/kefka.png[/ig] But seriously, the next little while is going to be interesting. There has to be a limit to the amount of bad PR Sony can take until it finally negatively affects them.
    I predict many a usage of, "Son of a submariner!" from those who are cheated out of their PS3.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
    edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

true, not only for "highly sophisticated" products, but pretty much any sensitive devices.

I honestly think that if it's so new that it isn't proven reliable yet, then it shouldn't be released to consumers.
    This has nothing to do with reliability. If PS3's start failing over the next few weeks/months, then we can start talking about it. Right now, this guy just got really unlucky.

edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    Epiphyte wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

This has nothing to do with reliability. If PS3's start failing over the next few weeks/months, then we can start talking about it. Right now, this guy just got really unlucky.
    true, bot honestly I think it's impossible for it not to have hardware failures. That's what happens with new technology. I mean look athe the 360. Every single person I know in real life has had to get theirs repaired/replaced except one, and he has his sitting on top of an AC dedicated specifically to the 360, and its's starting to have problems even with that care.

If the ps3 doesn't have a significant amount of hardware failures I will be astonished.

If that happened with my Wii (DOA) I would cry.

This discussion has been closed.