As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Retailers, help! Video Game MSRPs

GorkGork Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Employees of Best Buy, Gamestop, or any other retail establishment that sells video games, I have a question.

Who sets your MSRPs? Is it the publishers or is it the console manufacturers?

Thanks.

Gork on

• McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ehhh I misunderstood.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MSRP

I mean, its Manufacturer's suggested retail price. Its the price recommended by the manufacturer.

Do I just not understand the question?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think the question is, does Microsoft (for example) set the price for all 360 games or the publisher?

I can't imagine it being anything other than the publisher, with probably some guidelines from Microsoft (or Sony, or Nintendo...).

Tomanta on
  • theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Prices are set by the retailer. Generally they start out at MSRP and go down over time, depending on how fast the game sells. Publishers will drop MSRP, as well as the price they charge retailers, over time. Sometimes a publisher will sponsor a sale. Often there is a deal where the retailers can return unsold games after a given amount of time has passed.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    theclam wrote: »
    ... Often there is a deal where the retailers can return unsold games after a given amount of time has passed.

Typically for pennies on the dollar

blakfeld on
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Prices are set by the retailer. Generally they start out at MSRP and go down over time, depending on how fast the game sells. Publishers will drop MSRP, as well as the price they charge retailers, over time. Sometimes a publisher will sponsor a sale. Often there is a deal where the retailers can return unsold games after a given amount of time has passed.

So Publishers can set a different MSRP, correct? It's just the retailers final decision whether or not to follow them?

Follow-up: Generally speaking, what is the margin Publishers charge to Retailers?

Gork on
    edited January 2009
    Gork wrote: »

So Publishers can set a different MSRP, correct? It's just the retailers final decision whether or not to follow them?

Follow-up: Generally speaking, what is the margin Publishers charge to Retailers?

Yes. The margin depends greatly on the product. Console games are generally about $10-15 margin for the retailer. Less for EA Sports games and big releases, more for PC games. Accessories and Strategy Guides have much higher margins, sometimes more than half their price.

That's why used games are so attractive for a retailer. They can get up to $30 margin on a newer game and it attracts more people to their stores.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
    edited January 2009

Yes. The margin depends greatly on the product. Console games are generally about $10-15 margin for the retailer. Less for EA Sports games and big releases, more for PC games. Accessories and Strategy Guides have much higher margins, sometimes more than half their price.

That's why used games are so attractive for a retailer. They can get up to $30 margin on a newer game and it attracts more people to their stores.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was asking about the margin Publishers make on Retailers.

Gork on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In most countries the manufacturers are flat-out prohibited from setting prices. These laws are rarely enforced in the US, but Nintendo lost a very famous case so the games industry is very wary of crossing the line.

supabeast on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    supabeast wrote: »
    In most countries the manufacturers are flat-out prohibited from setting prices. These laws are rarely enforced in the US, but Nintendo lost a very famous case so the games industry is very wary of crossing the line.

That's why it's a recommended price as opposed to a mandated price.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's the publishers who set the price even before going into development. They decide which level a game will be at (AAA, A, value) and from there set aside a budget for the title.

Having said that, the process is generally standardized with retailers. If it is a AAA title, a next gen game will retail at 59.99-69.99. An A title will be around 49.99 whereas a value title will retail at 29.99 - 39.99.

Hope that helps.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was my impression that MS, Nintendo, et. all require companies to agree to a pricing scheme as part of the dev kit contract.

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2009
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was asking about the margin Publishers make on Retailers.

There's not a good way to calculate that. The fixed costs for making a game are very high (8 figures for a AAA title), whereas the variable costs are very low (probably less than $5). You could say that EA makes about $35-40 on each new $60 game, but that's not reflective of the total costs.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
    edited January 2009
    Okay, not profit or contribution margin, specifically how much they charge Retailers for each physical game.

Thanks.

Gork on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    It was my impression that MS, Nintendo, et. all require companies to agree to a pricing scheme as part of the dev kit contract.

Not really. Besides, it's developers who generally need dev kits and they have virtually no say in what a publisher decides for their game.

SatanIsMyMotor on