As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of sites and men

MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have just been appointed to keep the homepage at my workplace updated. I'm not an extreme n00b at these sorts of things but it's been ~8 years since I last did anything web related.

Basically, what I'm looking for is some input on what programs to use. I currently have access to Adobe Indesign. Good/bad? I don't want to start learning just to find that it sucks and start over on another software.

The homepage is pretty simple in it's structure with mostly text and pictures. No flash, java or anything like that

Movitz on

• Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dreamweaver is pretty good to have/easy to use(in my opinion) if you're familiar with Adobe Products. But, like you haven't really done much of anything in 8 years and so much has changed since then I can only do the most basic of things.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dream weaver is pretty user friendly.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    updating usually means editing the text and pictures and changing the dates.

that probably means the most you will need is a working knowledge of HTML and wordpad.

someone else who has used indesign can comment on its usefullness but for simple websites it should be no more difficult than using basic HTML.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's some quick responses there. Thanks

I'm quite ok with basic HTML coding but in my (limited, I'll admit) experience it's always a combination of that and a decent program that works fastest.

I know my way around most of the Adobe products. Used a lot of PS in High School and played around with Premiere and Dreamweaver as well (can't remember what I though of them though).

I've heard a lot of god things about Dreamweaver before, I might just download the 30 day trial. As Dunadan said, It would be nice with some input from someone experienced with InDesign as well.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What the hell. InDesign doesn't even support html format. It's for editing stuff for printing. Someone must have gotten it all wrong when they told me how the last guy managed the homepage.

Movitz on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    What sort of updates are you going to be doing?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Um, as far as I know, InDesign is mostly just for layout type stuff. I suppose there might be a way to do a website with it...but AFAIK Dreamweaver is the one for websites.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    FunnyFreakFunnyFreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    What the hell. InDesign doesn't even support html format. It's for editing stuff for printing. Someone must have gotten it all wrong when they told me how the last guy managed the homepage.

Might want to ask them again about that then. Seems kind of odd they told you the complete wrong thing.

FunnyFreak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    FunnyFreak wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »

Might want to ask them again about that then. Seems kind of odd they told you the complete wrong thing.

Yeah, I'm mostly a stand-in until we find someone to fill the spot again. But I sat down with some people and wondered what the heck. And I just got misinformed in all the confusion, I'll get dreamweaver ASAP and get cracking. I've used it before so It'll probably be fine.

Thanks for the replies. Let's just let this thread die out now.

Movitz on