Options

Reccomended podcasts

ArgiveArgive Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
List your favorite podcasts! I'm particularly interested in finding new history podcasts. Here are what I've got now. All can be found in iTunes via a simple search. If there is another thread for this purpose I wasn't able to find it.

12 Byzantine Rulers: Best history podcast I've found. Its six hours total and narrates the history of the Byzantine empire from it's creation until the conquest of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks. This is quality stuff.

American Conservative University: I went looking for balance after seeing the decidedly leftward slant of my podcasts. I do try to challenge myself in that way. It's pretty good, mostly talk radio clips, usually from Dennis Prager, who is much less inflammatory and bombastic than Rush. I'm keen to see how the Right is reacting to their loss at the polls.

CAGcast: The podcast for cheapassgamer.com. They talk about video games and mention whatever video game deals are out that week. I'm thinking about unsubscribing from this, cause it's all console focused and I'm mostly pc gaming these days (if at all).

Chappers Premier League Podcast: Podcast by Graham Poll (the three yellow card guy!) and some of his buddies.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: A fun podcast by an amateur historian. I haven't enjoyed his interviews, but the actual history episodes are great. If looking for a place to start, I recommend the series on the Punic Wars and Judgment at Ninevah. He also has a political show which I haven't tried listening to.

Downloadable Content: Self evident, on this forum.

ESPN Soccernet Podcast: Britons talk about soccer. Twice weekly.

ESPN Soccernet Fantasy Podcast: Britons talk about fantasy soccer. Every Wednesday.

Football Weekly: The Guardian's soccer show. Twice weekly, and hosted by a dude named James Richardson.

BBC World Service, Global News Highlights: Imperial guilt radio.

The Maccast: Weekly podcast about all things Macintosh.

MSNBC Hardball with Chris Matthews: They update this once a day with a 10 minute or so clip from the show. It's good. I like Chris Matthews and his boyish enthusiasm.

MSNBC Meet the Press: Just the audio version. I don't have a fancy video ipod.

The New Republic: It's a reading of daily opinion from TNR, my favorite mag.

New Yorker, Comment: Weekly reading of comment section of The New Yorker.

NPR, Fresh Air: Literature, popular culture, news, ect.

Prime Ministers Questions: This is distributed by the Guardian. PMQ started my unhealthy obsession with British politics. I usually just listen to the leader of the opposition and the libdem leader, then turn it off.

This American Life: This show is tremendous. It is at times humorous, at times thoughtful, and at still other times it has taught me what credit default swaps are. It's mostly stories, but they've had a few episodes on the economy that have been pure gold in these tough times.

World Soccer Daily: Two hour daily podcast about soccer. It's mostly Premier League, but they try to cover other stuff too. It's hosted by a couple British expats who live in L.A., thus giving them a perspective I find interesting.

Argive on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Keith and the Girl is a daily comedy chat show. They're very open with almost everything about their lives.

All the gaming stuff I listen to tends to be console-based, but the PC-centric Geekbox just started up, chaired by Ryan Scott (ex-CGW/GFW/1UP), which is definitely worth a listen.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm, with that list I would have thought you had BBC World Football Phone-In.

EDIT: It should show up at 5-Live's World Football Phone-In

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's a "News from Lake Wobegon" podcast, if you like Garrison Keillor.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've started listening to Giant Bombcast that Jeff Gerstmann has been putting out, which has been very good with a very 1UP Yours type feel.

Also What They Play is a pretty chill, short gaming podcast from John Davidson.

This American Life is a regular on my podcast list as well. Fun real life short stories....their Halloween special was GREAT!

That's all I have for audiocasts.

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Smodcast -SModcast is the meandering palaver of a pair of dudes whose voices are so dull, they don’t deserve to be on the radio (and, hence, aren’t). Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier are SModcast.The best thing about SModcast? It don’t cost nothing.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I feel like I do this in every podcast recommendation thread, but:

The Bugle! - Audio Newspaper for a Visual World! Featuring John Oliver and Andy Saltzman making fun of all things political and eventful. They just finished up the celebrated Hotties from History section, where people wrote in to nominate which famous dead person from the past they'd like to bone, including such favorites as Florence Nightingale, Joanna the Mad, Aaron Burr, Nikola Tesla, and Eleanor Roosevelt.

It's basically an audio version of the Daily Show, and it's absolutely hilarious.

Jebu on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love listening to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe as well as the Bad Astronomer.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a huge fan of the moth podcast. Each edition is a true story told without notes. They've had all kinds of people on there from comedians, to writers, to politicians. Almost all of them are hilarious and the ones that aren't are very touching.

I also really like Stuff You Should Know from HowStuffWorks.com I can't find a link on the website, but each episode covers some topic that they have on the site. Some of the recent ones were on Moonshine, Exorcism, Guerrilla Gardening and Flirting. The two presenters are pretty amusing as well.

StarShipSofa is a fun one that deals with SciFi writings and other stuff. The main presenter's accent is a bit tough to understand at times but he's obviously got a lot of passion about doing it.

wmelon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

I might have to try that. I do like prairie home companion from time to time. I'm a Lutheran, and it's one of the only entertainment shows where we get any recognition.

Argive on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    Hmm, with that list I would have thought you had BBC World Football Phone-In.

EDIT: It should show up at 5-Live's World Football Phone-In

I'll give it a go. I think I've heard of it somewhere. If it's good, it would likely mean me listening to fewer World Soccer Daily episodes. Those are two hours monday through friday. Theres only so many hours to listening to footy!

Argive on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Smodcast -SModcast is the meandering palaver of a pair of dudes whose voices are so dull, they don’t deserve to be on the radio (and, hence, aren’t). Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier are SModcast.The best thing about SModcast? It don’t cost nothing.

What this man forgot to mention is that Smodcast is frickin HILLARIOUS, and often gives you a good deal of insight into what goes into making a hollywood movie.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You probably don't need more video game podcasts, but here is two along with a surprise:

I didn't like Jeff and Ryan the very few times I saw them on video shows on GameSpot, but the Giant Bombcast I do find very entertaining because they're smart about video games. Frequently joined by other entertaining people.

Chinese Pod used to be more usable because they had all the lesson library available. Now they are getting full on into paid subscriptions for their content. Still, the newbie lesson on "My Cat" was slightly useful in a fun way if you know a mandarin-speaking Chinese person. But don't listen to it with the intention of learning the language unless you go full force. Just good to expand your horizons with things like this. Also catch the the cringe-worthy part where the woman calls out her cat! Mimi!!!!!!

Rebel FM from former 1up people is good and just getting started. I like it better than any of the 1up Yours and more recent GFW/Lan Party podcasts they did.

splash on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Argive wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

I might have to try that. I do like prairie home companion from time to time. I'm a Lutheran, and it's one of the only entertainment shows where we get any recognition.

I've recently gotten into listening to APHC - they have a huge archive of it on the website that you can stream, but so far it looks like only The News from Lake Wobegon comes in podcast flavor. It's my favorite part, but it'd be nice to have the whole shows available for download too.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I did a 10 hour drive, and about 5 hours into it I started getting fed up with my music. I had downloaded the first 15 smodcasts and started to listen to them. It made the time just fly by. Highly recommend them.

Kyougu on