As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

help me make a dating profile for dating of onlineness!

HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
After being single for quite long enough, I have decided to re-enter that mysterious and enigma-like world of dating. I am also going to try something new: online dating!

I made an account for plentyoffish and wrote up a quick profile. However, it's very late in the night, so it's a little bazonkers. I am looking for any suggestions on what to change/add. I think it's a bit short, but I am out of ideas of what to add right now. I should mention that I am a dude looking for a dudette.

EDIT: See new one a few posts down. This one was written under the warping influence of alcohol.

GREETINGS,

I am an intrepid adventurerer, defiant of English conventions, who is doing GOOD today and hopes you are too (and not WELL). Many an age ago I was placed upon this most AUSTERE of Earths (I make up my own definitions for words that I think sound cool) and now I am a pirate on the well vessel Georgia Tech. I have many and varied interests, though I am particularly fond of music, physics, and all manner of things mathematical. I can "get down" or "get up", as the cool kids would put it (the National Funk Congress debates to this day which is the more hip phrase). A less funky person might put it as "dancing and singing" (badly and loudly). I take my conversations inane, with a touch of unhinged-ness. You might say that I have a couple of screws loose! But in a good way! Truly, things that I do are usually just a backdrop for conversation. I fancy myself a wordsmith in training. Phrasing things in a neat way is one of my favorite things to do, and I spend a lot of time thinking of well ways to say things (ask me about the knucklewalking misshapen BRUTES at UGA!). Spoonerisms are most excellent. I suppose you could say that I take a lot of pleasure in the small things! Other minor hobbies I have are playing guitar, thinking up half-crazy schemes to make people laugh, typing in all capital letters, and doing lots of physics homework (I am a physics major).

I am very much an optimist. I can find a positive side to nearly anything. A lot of the time it just involves romanticizing the negative traits of whatever situation to increase their hilarity quotient. A very easy process, once you know the basics! It's difficult to get me down about anything. People sometimes describe me as acting as though I am always drunk (a happy drunk!). I don't find this to be completely true, but it would accurately describe my general demeanor around my friends a majority of the time.

Music plays a big part in my life, in the sense that I listen to a lot of it and talk about it a lot (I don't really "do" a lot of music). I am a huge metalhead. To be specific, death metal really gets me pumped. However, I am partial to other kinds of music as well. I love to vehemently defend that which is considered to be "bad" music (let me tell you about the mystique of gangsta rap!). I have a tendency to start dancing anytime I am around a sufficiently funky beat.

HalberdBlue on

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As a fellow GT alum, I will say this:

You're not helping our reputation any.*

Get some sleep and then look at your first paragraph again. At any rate, I'm not sure an online dating site is really the place to invoke college football rivalries. (Note that there are more female students at UGA than there are total students at Tech.)
    *: Neither am I, but that's besides the point here.

ASimPerson on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Too lengthy. Write less overall, and tighten it up. Keep focus and try to seem a little less enthusiastic, because as in RL, seeming too enthusiastic in your diction and style (rather than about hobbies, etc.) means people will think you're desperate, which is definitely not your case. Did you maybe write this while a wee bit tipsy?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This might just be me but I couldn't be bothered reading all that. I tried and lost interest. Remember people just browse through these profiles and if they see a "wall o text" they may just choose to move on rather than sit and read it.

Keep it short. Keep it sweet. Keep it relevant. Contrived eccentricity will only get you so far.

Casual on
  • HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Uh yeah, I was a bit tipsy last night. Give me a bit and I'll rewrite this.

HalberdBlue on
    edited January 2009
    Alright, here is a small paragraph I've assembled. I'm obviously missing a few things:

I have a tendency to look at life through rose-colored glass. I can find a positive side to almost anything, and take great pleasure in coming up with contrived reasons for something almost universally considered bad (such as the movie Van Helsing) is actually quite awesome. I love to make people laugh, and my preferred method to do so is via wordplay. My primary hobbies are physics, improv, and guitar (though I am much better at the virtual one than the real one).

Plentyoffish tells me to include the following things:
    1. Talk about your hobbies.
    2. Talk about your goals/aspirations
    3. Talk about youself and what makes you unique.
    4. Your taste in music.

1. I sort of accomplished. I like drinking and partying in general and that's usually how I spend most weekends, but I don't know how to include that without sounding like some crazy party animal, or a drunken oaf, or an alcoholic, etc. I also don't know a good way to mention how much I love spontaneous dancing.

2. I didn't mention at all. My intentions after graduating is to pursue a PhD in physics, and eventually become a physicist, but I don't want to sound like some aloof academic who thinks he is smarter than you. Should I include this at all, or just leave it that I am currently a student? Should I mention my jobs? I work in a research lab and also co-op at a research contractor.

3. In my previous one, I tried to project the best side of me through writing, but I'm finding it a bit hard to do without using flowery diction. I know most people don't get thrilled by how things are phrased as much as I do though, so maybe I don't need stylish wordsmithery? Right now, my paragraph expresses most of what I am about: optimistic, enthusiastic, nerdy, a little silly, and a love of words.

4. This one is a bit hard for me since I absolutely love death metal, and anyone who meets me will find out very quickly, but having similar taste in music is completely unimportant to me. It may be important to the person reading the profile, though? I also love classic rock, but not nearly to the extent of my near-obsession with death metal.

HalberdBlue on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alright, here is a small paragraph I've assembled. I'm obviously missing a few things:

I have a tendency to look at life through rose-colored glass. I can find a positive side to almost anything, and take great pleasure in coming up with contrived reasons for something almost universally considered bad (such as the movie Van Helsing) is actually quite awesome. I love to make people laugh, and my preferred method to do so is via wordplay. My primary hobbies are physics, improv, and guitar (though I am much better at the virtual one than the real one).

Plentyoffish tells me to include the following things:
    1. Talk about your hobbies.
    2. Talk about your goals/aspirations
    3. Talk about youself and what makes you unique.
    4. Your taste in music.

1. I sort of accomplished. I like drinking and partying in general and that's usually how I spend most weekends, but I don't know how to include that without sounding like some crazy party animal, or a drunken oaf, or an alcoholic, etc. I also don't know a good way to mention how much I love spontaneous dancing.

2. I didn't mention at all. My intentions after graduating is to pursue a PhD in physics, and eventually become a physicist, but I don't want to sound like some aloof academic who thinks he is smarter than you. Should I include this at all, or just leave it that I am currently a student? Should I mention my jobs? I work in a research lab and also co-op at a research contractor.

3. In my previous one, I tried to project the best side of me through writing, but I'm finding it a bit hard to do without using flowery diction. I know most people don't get thrilled by how things are phrased as much as I do though, so maybe I don't need stylish wordsmithery? Right now, my paragraph expresses most of what I am about: optimistic, enthusiastic, nerdy, a little silly, and a love of words.

4. This one is a bit hard for me since I absolutely love death metal, and anyone who meets me will find out very quickly, but having similar taste in music is completely unimportant to me. It may be important to the person reading the profile, though? I also love classic rock, but not nearly to the extent of my near-obsession with death metal.

This is a grammatical cluster-fuck.

Also, you may want to leave your love of death metal for a second date. Or never. Whichever...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, grammar definitely isn't my strong suite. Defiant of English convention!

I can see why someone would put off-put at first impression by someone saying that they love death metal. However, I also want to be as honest as possible. I don't want to lure someone in under a false pretense.

Oh yeah, howabout that profile pic? I really don't know what to do here. This is the picture I'm leaning towards using:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/441/fishpi0.jpg

I think that if someone saw that picture and thought AWESOME then they're probably my type. However, I can also see several flaws with using that picture. The garish clothing might make people think I am an attention whore (and I'm not gonna lie, I am), or that I'm desperately trying to attract their attention towards my profile. However, I LOVE garish clothing, and I think that the outfit I'm wearing sums up a lot of my personality (good and bad). A couple of other flaws: the hat makes it look like I may be wearing a wig (since I have pink hair), and besides that I don't even have pink hair anymore. But, my hair color changes so often that I may as well.

HalberdBlue on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    pictures are very very important, show us the ones you have for your profile, because sadly, they are more important than the writing is, at least at first. a girl opens a dating profile and immediately looks at the images. how you appear in these images will dictate whether she actually goes on to read what you have written.

and by this i do not mean you have to be a thin stud, just that they have to be good images of you, as you are, that make you look good.

this is a mistake so so many guys make when making an online dating profile.

edit- haha, what timing, it also makes my point for me, that is an awful picture for a first impression

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    when making a dating profile, you aren't putting all that there is to you out there at once. it is fine to not yell out your maybe slightly off-putting attributes until the girl gets to know you a bit better and see that you are an awesome dude overall.

awesome guy to talk to that you find out likes death metal - no big deal, maybe a bit cute

guy you have never spoken to proclaiming his love of death metal right away - no, thanks, moving on to next profile.

same goes for the picture. save the silly silly ones till she can see that you are a good looking guy in normal circumstances, then they become endearing instead of off-putting

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    Alright, here are a couple of other attempts:

A little more conservative. This one is from this past summer, when I dyed my hair back to brown since I was in China:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8910/fish2on4.jpg

I'm not looking at the camera though. And I'm greedily clutching a kitten...

Here is one that more accurately reflects the fact that I usually don't have brown hair, but also doesn't involve me wearing garish clothing.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4714/fishyw6.jpg

My shirt has Chinese on it though, which could suggest I am a weeaboo (I'm not)? Most people just assume that it is Japanese.

HalberdBlue on
    edited January 2009
    hmm, the first one is not a very good picture of you (horrible horrible haircut), the second one seems to not want to load for me

i would suggest (if possible) to go out with some friends and a camera, someplace fun and outside and take pictures. pictures of you having fun, being active, interacting with people who like you are usually pretty good

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    Are pictures of me with other people OK? I've cropped them out of the pictures I've posted so far. I think I only get one picture on plentyoffish (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's not like it's immediately evident which one would be me.

Here's another one from the summer, though since you said I had a terrible haircut this one would probably fall under the same umbrella:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/135/fish3pd1.jpg

EDIT: I also just realized I'm wearing a Slayer shirt...

Here is a re-upload of the second one:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/4271/fishwu5.jpg

I'm having a harder time finding appropriate pictures than I thought. I have a tendency to make faces when people are taking pictures of me. :/

HalberdBlue on
    edited January 2009
    haha, yea you might want to go out and take some photos, or a good photo, for your profile. i have never been on plentyoffish, but i know okcupid lets you have many pictures, you might want to make a profile on both? can't hurt.

in a picture be smiling, have your hair look good, and have it be a decent sized image. (so that second one is out unless you have a larger size)

i think it is best to have the focus of the image be you (means it is ok to crop the image down to you, even if you're with friends), but it's also a good idea for it to be a slightly candid shot, maybe of you doing something, but still looking at the camera and smiling. pictures with the person just kinda standing all static for the picture look awkward most of the time.

also, yeah, the asian characters coupled with the pink hair in that second one do come off as weeabooish, probably best to steer clear of that unless you're after a weeaboo girl. (they can still be good people! haha)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    Alright then. I know I'll have some photo opportunities this weekend, so I'll get back to that. I forgot about okcupid! Thanks for reminding me, and for all the help!

HalberdBlue on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Get a friend who knows how to use a camera. Stop cropping your photos. Test your photos, with us or on hotornot.com and get a female friend to look at them. All the ones you currently have are of just you staring at the camera. Women want to see what you're doing in them, who you're with, what your interests are. Get photos with other good looking women (not hooters girls!). Have someone take a few shots next time you're all playing guitar hero for example. You're going to have to take about a 100 of them and just narrow it down to 4 or 5.

Seriously just go out this weekend and take a shit load of photos.

Do something about that hair, grooming is important.
    ...take great pleasure in coming up with contrived reasons for something...
    Disapproval of yourself. Bad. Don't call your own reasons contrived, be confident.

just rewrite your whole profile and post it here again.
    Things you don't want to do: seek acceptance, make excuses, beg (please email me if you like my profile), all that kind of wussy stuff.

I'm going to horribly mangle what David D says here but it's something like this: Convey that you are a fun interesting character and that you're leading an exciting life and are going places. If she wants to come along for the ride and is worthy of it than she can.

edit: made a few additions in the pictures section

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited January 2009
    Disapproval of yourself. Bad. Don't call your own reasons contrived, be confident.

Did that come off as disapproval of myself? Damn, I meant it in a humorous way. I will change that, then!

HalberdBlue on
    edited January 2009
    Also, write an opening email and post it here. Most women will never ever look at profiles until someone emails them. You're going to have to add a few things for each different person you send it to, include something you liked about their profile w/e. (Their profile, not how hot their picture is!)

When you write you're profile keep in mind when they're reading it. Are they reading it after they got your opening email or are you trying to attract lurkers that keep their profile hidden so they can't get emails?

Update your profile and pictures. A lot of these lurker women will check your profile a few times before getting the balls to email you.

Now, what I'm about to say is the most important thing ever in online dating.
    MAKE A FEMALE PROFILE!!!! One that's the type of woman you're looking for, in the area you're looking for them in. You will get a ton of emails, probably 50 in a week easily. Read them all and read their profile look at how terrible they are, what mistakes they make, how they're all alike.

Women get tons and tons of emails and 95% of them are the same so in order to stand out you just have to be different from these guys.

After you make a female profile your eyes will open, trust me.

edit: don't forget to post some emails you get here for the entertainment value.

TheStig on
    edited January 2009
    also, before sending a girl a message make sure to read their profile. do not send out blanket messages.

my okcupid says that i am not looking for anyone, that i joined because some friends wanted me too, and has a link to my boyfriend's matching okcupid page in the first two lines. i still get messages from guys, i sign in every two months to get a giggle or two.

also, do not ever do blanket messages (messages that are just a vague greeting that you send out to all the girls in the area), they are incredibly obvious and girls usually just roll their eyes at them.

i'll go pull a few out of my inbox to show you
    hey there just saw your profile and wanted to say hi. my names james but my friends call me jamie... how are you doing?
    Hey, What's up? How are you?

two recent blanket ones i have gotten.

also, never ever do what these guys did

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    Also, like you said, girls usually join these sites in groups and share the emails they get. Friends of mine are always getting the same email and laughing about it. They sound like those mass mailing pre-approved credit card with the giant interest rate scams, with the giant interest rate being creepy horny guys.

Wow those emails and pictures are terrible.
    See men, this is your competition. Online dating is a very easy game once you get the fundamentals down.

Oh Belruel, could you do us a favor and post just the subject lines from your inbox. I'm willing to bet they're all "hi" "hey" "hey cutie" "what's up" "hello" "hi there". In other words, it doesn't take much to stand out from these guys. The method that I have heard is best is to include something from their profile in the subject line.

edit: I forgot to mention to make a separate email account and instant messanger, one with a screen name that reflects the overall vibe that your profiles/emails give out. Don't use the dating service beyond the first email, things get too cluttered.

TheStig on
    edited January 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    also, before sending a girl a message make sure to read their profile. do not send out blanket messages.

my okcupid says that i am not looking for anyone, that i joined because some friends wanted me too, and has a link to my boyfriend's matching okcupid page in the first two lines. i still get messages from guys, i sign in every two months to get a giggle or two.

also, do not ever do blanket messages (messages that are just a vague greeting that you send out to all the girls in the area), they are incredibly obvious and girls usually just roll their eyes at them.

i'll go pull a few out of my inbox to show you
    hey there just saw your profile and wanted to say hi. my names james but my friends call me jamie... how are you doing?
    Hey, What's up? How are you?

two recent blanket ones i have gotten.

also, never ever do what these guys did

To be fair, these are probably boys in Chino from viewing your profile... not the top of the gene pool usually :P

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited January 2009
    haha, the forums show that stuff like that is par for the course for all women on that site, so no, its not just my ghetto city. i don't even think any of them lived in chino.

but yeah, to the OP- take that as a warning, and be a good duder, not a weird one

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    You're probably still working on your profile and stuff but you will want to check this out for sure.
    http://www.officialdatingresource.com/beware-the-dreaded-myspace-angles-pics/

TheStig on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

That's just mind blowing. I can't even the find the words to describe it.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
    edited January 2009
    Seriously that's like 90% of the guys online and once you make a female account you will see this and your confidence will skyrocket. I had no idea how horrible the competition was when I first started, it made things so much easier.

TheStig on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Seriously that's like 90% of the guys online and once you make a female account you will see this and your confidence will skyrocket. I had no idea how horrible the competition was when I first started, it made things so much easier.

I need to do this. I balk at contacting girls online since I think they're out my league, but I need to stop thinking like that.

Kyougu on
    edited January 2009
    Just do like the OP did. Post your stuff, have us or people you know help refine it, have girls you know look at it. It's really the best way to go about this. I mean, you don't get in a fight without training, you don't go to school without studying, you don't play games online without practicing. Why would you try to attract girls without doing any of these things?

Don't forget that the super hot girls that are out of your league recieve even more emails by guys like the ones Belruel posted. They probably stopped opening them and just skim the subject line so having one that stands out can give you a lot better chances with one of them compared to some girl who gets 10 emails a week and reads them all. That or they are on invisible and only read profiles so that could also be an advantage for you.

TheStig on
  • Rand TorganRand Torgan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    removed

Rand Torgan on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rand, please don't take what I'm about to say wrong, but you ask for critiques. Also, I posted my okcupid profile here and got ripped pretty badly about how awful it was until I was able to fix it, so I know how it feels.

But your profile makes you come off as EXTREMELY geeky and dorky. Like to the point I'm not sure many girls would want to contact you. You need to tone it down and add other interests.

And your pictures aren't helping. The first one makes you looking kinda creepy and the second one, you're wearing a joker shirt and in the background.

Kyougu on
    edited January 2009
    You talk a lot about your negatives. You shouldn't ever say anything about yourself in a negative way unless it's really funny.
    The first thing(s) people notice about me
    I’m tall at 6 feet and a little gaunt. Also that I can sometimes move my limbs and body in ways that don’t seem humanly possible. According to the doctors, I’m double-jointed in several parts of my body. It sometimes freaks people out.

Gaunt and freekish? Pass

It's what they notice about you not how you look, they can see how you look in the pictures (they're terrible btw)

Why not say something like "The thing people first notice about me is my positive attitude, no matter what's going on I try to have a good time"

Something like that, I'm a terrible writer but you get the idea.

Kyougu was right, way too geeky. You're living in Clarksville man, the armpit of TN, Nashville's retarded brother. Geeks are few are far between. I used to live there when I was at Ft.Campell, I know.

You got into the habit of listing stuff you like and what you're like. It's very boring to ready, I couldn't even finish it I lost interest so fast.

Don't just say what you like "I like bacon, bacon is good" say "...but keep your hands away from my pork, you might get your fingers bit off" or something.
    Couldn’t sing to save my life.
    That's negative and listing, boring and wussy. Why not "maybe if we go out to karaoke you can hear what a great singer I am (bring earplugs)"
    Now you're fun, you go out, it's kind of funny (you don't have to tell them you have a sense of humor later) she can visualize herself going there with you. It's kind of cocky because you're talking about how great you are but at the same time kind of funny and down to earth because you tell her to bring earplugs.

Anyway, I can post more later, trying to get this paper done...
    Umm your pictures are just terrible. Ask a friend with a digital camera to take some. Take like 100 and pick out a few you like. You want your first picture to be like an actor's Head shot, very well groomed, shave off that peach fuzz get a decent button up shirt, ect. This is the thumbnail picture, I don't really know how Okcupid works but I think it has that. Then the next few to be you hanging out with your friends, doing things you like to do.

I really don't like the way Okcupid has that Q:A setup thing. Is there an option to just have 1 big text box for you to write a profile?

edit: stop crossing your arms!
    also: loyal? are you a dog?

TheStig on
    edited January 2009
    yeah, those pictures are not good.
    don't you have any friends with cameras that can help you take some pictures?

also, a point i cannot stress enough if you are serious about getting dates,
    1) go find and buy clothes that fit you well and look good on you. those shoes in the second image are awful, those pants are just bad, and you are swimming in that shirt. you are a thin guy! wear clothes that are thin fitting. you will look so so much nicer.
    2) your stache is awful, and you need to look into a good haircut.

also, take this in good spirit, i am just giving you a girl's perspective to help. also keep in mind that i am even a girl that is nerdy and loves nerdy things, and i would still close a guy's profile if he felt the need to talk about and reference how nerdy he is every two seconds.

as you come across a purple'd part, go down to a bulletpoint below, i think i kept them straight and in order. i also did a few minor adjustments here and there when i just couldn't help myself, nothing major.

Three Adjectives that describe you
    Loyal, thoughtful, and contemplative

My self-summary
    I’m a student at Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN and I am majoring in Political Science and History. Let’s see, umm…My friends and family mean the world to me. I love going to raves. I have a pretty good sense of humor though it can sometimes get a little dark. I’m a geek, and as such can be found elbow deep in many geeky pursuits play Dungeons and Dragon, Magic, etc. I can't sing to save my life. I’ll sometimes make really bad jokes about the current situation. I am not fond of cold weather, the heat and I get along much better.

What I’m doing with my life
    Well I’m currently going to school and hopefully will graduate. After school, I’m not quite sure what I wish to pursue. I’ve been toying with the idea lately of joining the Peace Corps; do my part to make the world a better place and get some hands on experience. After that, maybe I will look for a job with the government that will require a lot of traveling, I would love to see the world.

I’m really good at
    Well politics and history obviously. Kinda need to be to get through school. Other than that, video games and other random geek stuff.

I’m tall at 6 feet and a little gaunt. Also that I can sometimes move my limbs and body in ways that don’t seem humanly possible. According to the doctors, I’m double-jointed in several parts of my body. It sometimes freaks people out.

My favorite books, movies, music, and food
    Books: Way too many to list here. Most of my favorite books are either sci-fi or fantasy, so I read a lot of those. I’ve also been reading a lot of history and political books lately (care to guess why ). Some of my favorite books are The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars novels, A Song of Ice and Fire series, Halo novels, any of Karen Armstong’s books on religion and philosophy, and Robert Conquest’s books on Stalin and the Soviet Union.

Movies: The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Departed, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Silence of the Lambs, Alien, Children of Men, V for Vendetta, American Gangster, Ironman, Shaun of the Dead.

Music: There are only three volumes for me. Loud, louder, and loudest! My favorite music genres are Metal and Hard Rock \m/ (-_-) \m/, though I have quite a diverse music collection. You look at my iPod and you’ll find Techno, Classical, videogame and movie soundtracks, blues, jazz, music from Germany, Japan, and England, and much more. My favorites include Disturbed, Nine Inch Nails, Slipknot, Alice in Chains, Stone Sour, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Jimi Hendrix, Rob Zombie, and Rammstein.

Food: I could live off cheeseburgers and pizza, though I’ll try anything once. Unless it has squash in it, then forget it. No amount of money could convince me to eat it.

The six things I could never do without
    My family
    My friends
    My dogs and cat
    MUSICA!!!
    Food
    My car

I spend a lot of time thinking about
    I think I’ll be original and say… THE FUTURE!!! Yeah it’s the same thing everyone else says, but it’s true. It’s what we college students think about. What will I do after I graduate? Where will I end up living? Will I achieve my dreams? Will I be happy? These are the things that occupy my mind the most now. Other than that, girls, food, video games, and school work. In that order.

On a typical Friday night I am
    Hopefully chillaxin with my homies. Either sitting in Barnes and Nobles, watching a movie, playing video games or Dungeons and Dragons all night, or hanging at the mall.

Other times sitting at home, hopefully planning trouble for Saturday night.

The most private thing I am willing to admit here
    I can’t swim. Sorry, you aren’t getting anymore out of me until I know you better.

You should message me if
    You read this and find me interesting, duh. Seriously, why else would you?

1-these are synonyms, think of a new adjective
    2-raves are often seen as a bad scene, drugs and all that, and i somehow doubt that is the image you want to give
    3-avoid mentioning D&D and magic by name at first, it is fine to say you're a geek, but let those come up in conversation
    4-you already mentioned your dark sense of humor, speaking of which, avoid saying you are morbid
    5-appear confident, don't mention not graduatating, it shows self doubt, and why would a girl want to start a relationship with a guy who doubts himself?
    6-this is not a turn on for girls, no need to keep stressing you are a dork
    7-i have a friend who is a lot like you that does this. he thinks it impresses people/girls but no, NO it does not. it makes them think you're weird and awkward, and makes them automatically not think of you sexually. NEVER DO THIS IN FRONT OF PROSPECTIVE GIRLFRIENDS/DATES EVER EVER AGAIN. i cannot stress that enough. even if your friends encourage you to 'do that thing'. make an excuse, lie. say that it hurts now and that you don't do that anymore.
    8-again, no need to strangle the girls with your nerdiness. let them ease into it a little, find out what a nice guy you are so that the geekiness is endearing, not off-putting.
    9-you don't want to come off as desperate, take girls off the list
    10-step off the nerdy

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    also, a point i cannot stress enough if you are serious about getting dates,
    1) go find and buy clothes that fit you well and look good on you. those shoes in the second image are awful, those pants are just bad, and you are swimming in that shirt. you are a thin guy! wear clothes that are thin fitting. you will look so so much nicer.
    2) your stache is awful, and you need to look into a good haircut.

Belruel you can't blame the guy, that's the Clarksville style. He's gotta check out online resources to see what actually looks good.

TheStig on
    edited January 2009
    naw that is the 'i am thin and feel awkward in my body so i am going to wear the same clothes that i have since junior high' style

thin guy + big clothes = awkward bad look

to rand-
    also i am not sure if you do, but you remind me of so much of my friend james that i will just assume, but if you slouch, stop. do not slouch, stand up straight.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    Really thin tall guys look good in business-casual. Button up shirt, rolled up sleeves, some nice khakis or even tight fitting jeans. It will really make you stand out in that cesspool.

TheStig on
    edited January 2009
    yes. very yes. or even a more snug tshirt is fine.

if you love yourself never wear baggy jeans again. (unless you're doing yardwork or painting your house or something)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited January 2009
    Whoa, I see that OKcupid is a bit more structured than plentyoffish. I'm gonna write something up for that and come back. I didn't get around to picture-taking this weekend, though.

HalberdBlue on
    edited January 2009
    I really really don't like that structure. It's a bad setup for you if you're looking to attract someone who's browsing profiles. It's too much information. You want to leave a lot of stuff unknown, not to hide it but just to create some intrigue.

Though it's probably ok if you're emailing them first and write your profile with that in mind, however I think the unstructured style is better.

I just checked out that plentyoffish site. It looks like they deform the pictures to fit their square thumbnail so you get a lot a stretched wierd looking picture.
    So check for that when you post your pic, you may have to crop it to make it perfectly square.

TheStig on
    edited January 2009
    I'd lose the 'stache, btw.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited January 2009
    Wait guys, we're going about this all wrong. If he loses the stash he won't be able to offer free mustache rides.

TheStig on
    edited January 2009
    Alright, here is the stuff I wrote up for OKCupid
    Three Adjectives that describe you
    Optimistic, funny, eccentric

My self-summary
    I can find a positive side to nearly anything. I love to make people laugh, and be made to laugh, especially via wordplay. Most of my conversations have the express purpose of making myself and those around me laugh. It's very difficult to get me down. I love parties, dancing, and singing. I am always down for a spontaneous boogie-fest, even in the most public of places. My biggest hobbies are physics, reading, and guitar. I love to try to defend indefensible positions that I don't actually believe in.

What I’m doing with my life
    I'm a undergraduate at Georgia Tech, majoring in physics. I alternate semesters working and studying as a co-op student. My co-op job is a research assistant at Georgia Tech Research Institute, doing work primarily with optics. During school semesters I do research part-time in a nonlinear dynamics lab. Once I graduate I plan to pursue a Ph.D. in physics, and my eventual goal is to be a physicist.

I’m really good at
    Squeezing the maximum possible quantity of fun into every weekend. I think I have honed "work hard, play hard" close to perfection.

Physically, the first thing people notice about me is that I (usually) have an unnatural hair color. Right now it's a mix of blue, purple, and green. Next, they will notice that my voice only has three volumes: loud, louder, and loudest.

As a person, they will quickly notice that I spend a lot of time being silly and doing things that inevitably draw attention to myself, just for the hell of it.

My favorite books, movies, music, and food
    My favorite series of books is Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Most fiction I read is either fantasy or sci-fi. Most of my actual reading time is spent reading physics and math textbooks, though.

It's very easy for me to love, and then loudly proclaim that love, B movies and senseless summer action flicks (Van Helsing being one of my favorites). Crazy and over-the-top is my favorite genre. I can get behind most cult films. I tend to be critical of more intellectual films, but the ones I do like I like a lot.

My two favorite kinds of music are metal and classic rock. However, I am very open to most other kinds of music. It is a personal goal of mine to attend a concert of every major genre of music. I am definitely a "music person", as evidenced by nearly half of the t-shirts I own being band t-shirts.

I like pretty much all food. I'll try anything, no matter how unappetizing it looks, once. I have a special place in my heart for seafood and horrible greasy American food.

The six things I could never do without
    Friends, physics, and music. I am pretty minimalistic; I don't need much to be happy.

I spend a lot of time thinking about
    Neat ways to phrase things, and how to put smiles on people's faces. Usually the two go hand-in-hand. I get very excited anytime I think up a phrase that evokes strong, humorous imagery.

On a typical Friday night I am
    Nearly always intoxicated with my friends. Alcohol just multiplies all the positives of my personality by 150%, so I love to enjoy drinks with my friends.

The most private thing I am willing to admit here
    I have a thing for sexy boots! I don't care to own any myself, but I always notice it when a woman wears nice boots.

You should message me
    If you can be described as having a few screws loose, like me. Other than that, opposites attract is definitely true for me.

This is a rough draft so I already see a lot of things wrong with it, so any critiques and suggestions on how to fix it would be most appreciated.

I feel like the self-summary is rather disjointed and doesn't really evoke an image of ME too well. It's pretty much just a dry list of personality traits. However, as I've mentioned in the thread before, the way something is phrased means a lot more to me than most people, so maybe it's actually fine. I feel like the "What I'm doing with my life" section makes me look like an aloof academic. Maybe less is more, here? I'm thinking of just putting that I'm a physics student at GT. I feel like my favorites section is too wordy, but I also don't find it to be very important, since sharing taste in media is completely unimportant to me. I'm pretty sure what I put for Friday nights doesn't imply that I'm an alcoholic, but evokes the fact that I am a very big fan of drinking.

Everything else I'm mostly satisfied with, but let me know what you think.

HalberdBlue on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There are a lot of things people will accept and possibly even embrace...as long as you present them at the right time. Gaming of any kind is one of these things. It's also not important information about who you are.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png