As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Annoying wireless issues

Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
This started about three days ago, Thursday morning, and is really starting to frustrate me. Every computer in the house is doing this, two xp, two vista. After turning on the computer and being connected to the wireless for anywhere from 5 minutes to two hours the computer will lose any and all recognition that the network exists, or any network exists. (I'm downtown Chicago, 20 networks usually show up) Disabling and enabling the network adapter connects you back to the network but it will be down again shortly.

Because it affects more than just one computer in the same way I figured it was the router so I replaced it today but we're still getting the same issue. Nothing has changed on the computers or network, and the fact that the internet still works on wired connections (i.e. the xbox) doesn't seem to point at Comcast as the problem.

I am all out of ideas and incredibly frustrated...

Woot427 on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is it A, B, G, N? Could thee be any issues with the NICs?

Have you tried changing it to a different channel? I think most of the routers default to 6, so you could try going to 1 or 11.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Is it A, B, G, N? Could thee be any issues with the NICs?

Have you tried changing it to a different channel? I think most of the routers default to 6, so you could try going to 1 or 11.

The router is running mixed bgn, with my computer connecting via N and the others being on G. I've played with the channels, even set the router to auto to see what it felt was best, etc. That didn't help and I can't see all four NICs going bad at the same time :|

Woot427 on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've had issues with my Comcast too, where the wi-fi will just drop randomly; fixed it by refreshing/renewing the DCHP lease on the laptop.

Is one of the other networks coming in a lot stronger than the other? I.e, did one of your neighbors buy some high-gain antennas? A bit of a stretch, not really sure what could cause just the wireless to go.

Maybe d/l a network sniffer like NetStumbler to see if anything stands out.

MichaelLC on