Okay folks, it's backstory time!
So my friend Chris bought this house, with the intentions of me moving in with him. Upon seeing the room meant for me, it was clear it needed work. We painted and took care of damages to the walls. But it leaves the matter of the floor.
Now the floor is hardwood, as evident by the thread title. Before we started painting, the floor was sloped, dirty, dented, dull, gouged and cracked in some places. After we painted, it was all that and had paint on it from various painting mishaps. We've been kicking around a few ideas on what to do...
- Leave it alone. It's shitty and there's nothing that can be done about it.
- Clean the paint up off it. I looked up how to do this and it seems that rubbing alcohol is the easiest way to get the paint...and the finish up. But the finish is ruined on most of the floor anyways.
- Refinish it. This could take skill I don't have, and despite looking up DIY guides online, I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.
- Refinish it profesionally. This will cost money, but I'm not sure how much. Any ideas on an estimate? The room is 13'9" x 10'8" for a majority of it with a small addon space.
My concern with refinishing the floor, both professionally and DIY style is that boards might have to be replaced, which would drive the cost up.
- Lay a carpet down. Another thing I looked up to DIY, and I feel I can't do. My friend thinks it's easy, but after reading stuff about taking the molding off, I'm not quite sure I want to jump into this. But it would cover the damaged floor.
- Lay a carpet down professionally. Again, money. But it could be cheaper than refinishing the floor professionally. I think? I don't actually know.
So, any advice on what to do?