As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii] Boom Blox (2) Bash Party - now with more space

GuekGuek Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
custom_1233237145624_BBBP_space_1.jpg

custom_1233237149334_BBBP_underwater_1.jpg

interview
- no Friend Codes reconfirmed
- rate and rearrange downloaded levels
- Spielberg may make his own level to be included in the game
- slingshot effect added: grab an object with the Wiimote, pull back and release to send it flying
- shooting mechanic from the first game will be used much less
- head-tracking will not be included
- no support for Wii MotionPlus
- nothing recycled from the first game
- new block shapes discussed: cylinders, ramps and more
- character blocks from the first game are now integrated more into gameplay
- could there be a Boom Blox movie? - “He (Spielberg) actually has expressed interest in it at different times, but it’s not something we’re discussing at the time.” - producer Amir Rahimi
- EA stressed that the movie idea was just a brainstorming session, and there are no actual plans

free DLC has also been confirmed

Guek on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm still busy with the first one, but this looks really promising. No friend codes? Awesome.

Clint Eastwood on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game sounds awesome; take everything that is great from the original, expand and diversify it, and give it online connectivity for expanded and sharing content.

Also some people expressed disappointment over the lack of headtracking and Wii motionplus support. I think that's ridiculous. Headtracking would only work while playing single player, and even so, I don't think it adds much to the game. It's not necessary. What else isn't necessary? Wii Motionplus. The game is primarily controlled via the pointer anyway. The first game controlled brilliantly and I see no reason to require consumers of the 2nd game to have an additional attachment accessory to play the new one.

I played the original game with friends and everyone had a blast. This looks like they're doing the sequel the right way and I'll probably buy it on release.

slash000 on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you'd think nintendo would get the hint when developers are listing "no friend codes" in the feature list :)

anyways, I'm glad boom blox did decent enough to get a sequel. very good news..

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is probably going to be a day 1 purchase.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I haven't bought or played the first one, but have heard nothing but good things about it. Should I buy it, or just wait for the second one to come out?

KalTorak on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    So I haven't bought or played the first one, but have heard nothing but good things about it. Should I buy it, or just wait for the second one to come out?

Hard to say. Actually I think the best advice is find some way to play the first one (rent maybe) and then buy the second.

It is just a really fun game especially for multiplayer, and then you've got the cool creation mode where you can set your own level rules or just blow stuff up/make Rube Goldbergs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyA8WQzUjE&feature=PlayList&p=CEC3A3DA8F8EFA87&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_6x4l39jn0&feature=PlayList&p=CEC3A3DA8F8EFA87&index=6

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Glad to hear not as much shooting; now can I hear "no having to bean over 80 zombies with baseballs"?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bought.

The first one had me at the training levels.

Online? No friend codes? DLC? Fucking wicked.

I love how they mention Spielberg "might" make his own level.. as if most people would give two shits whether he ended up making his own Boom Blox level.

"I hear Boom Blox 2 is out.."
    "Did Spielberg end up making his own level for that?"
    "Nah.. I guess not."
    "Well fuck that then.. that's the whole reason I wanted that game."

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Urgh, played the first one and found it boring as hell. Generally I greatly enjoy puzzle games, but I played this for several hours and found it far too easy to entertain me. I'd definitely recommend a rental before purchasing simply because this is the sort of game you simply have to play in order to find out if you like it.

Now, if Nintendo could get something like a Lego-licensed Blockland thing going on, then we'd be talking something awesome using blocks and the gimmick of the Wiimote. We have all these franchise Lego games, so why not an actual game for just building stuff with Legos?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I would have bought a Boom Blox sequel even if it was just Boom Blox with more multiplayer maps, but now you're telling me that not only there are new maps, but a lot of new shit too?

Day one purchase. This kind of games is why the Wiimote was made.

Djiem on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I never got into Boom Blox one, but I'll definitely be picking this up. I'd basically made up my mind that I was gonna get Boom Blox at one point, but I guess I'll just get this one :D

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Boom Blox is one of the best party games every concieved. We logged dozens of hours on the jenga shit over Christmas. So great. Even my father-in-law, who wouldn't even try Wii Sports because it was a vidjagame, was way into it.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Boom Blox is fun as hell but it's also one of the buggiest console games I've ever played. Hopefully they clean things up a little better this time around.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Urgh, played the first one and found it boring as hell. Generally I greatly enjoy puzzle games, but I played this for several hours and found it far too easy to entertain me.
    The single player just served as a tutorial and unlock. If you weren't playing it with others you were playing it wrong.

Glal on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Bought.

The first one had me at the training levels.

Online? No friend codes? DLC? Fucking wicked.

I love how they mention Spielberg "might" make his own level.. as if most people would give two shits whether he ended up making his own Boom Blox level.

"I hear Boom Blox 2 is out.."
    "Did Spielberg end up making his own level for that?"
    "Nah.. I guess not."
    "Well fuck that then.. that's the whole reason I wanted that game."

Actually, it would be awesome to have Spielberg make a level or two....as long as one of them is getting to destory a huge ET with explosives.

I loved the first game....and this looks to perfect the gameplay and expand how it works. I can't wait, day one for me.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • swiftswift Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awesome. I loved the jenga-esque mode in the first one, was so simple yet so fun. Even my parents were getting into it over Christmas, I don't think my dads ever played a video game apart from this... Shame the levels got boring after playing the some ones over and over, but it looks like this one is going to sort that problem out. Very much looking forward to this.

swift on
    nexx360.png
    edited January 2009
    It turns out Monkey's in space suits is the coolest thing I have ever seen. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I still haven't bought the first one, because it costs SIX HUNDRED F-ING SWEDISH CROWNS still!

That's about 60 euro or 80 us dollars.

Or half the price of the entire console.

I can't understand how anyone, even if they are loaded with cash, would pay that much for a silly little game!

I haven't bought Super Mario Galaxy either because of its ridiculus price.

I'm having way too much fun with WiiWare, Koroninpa and Resident Evil 4 which I got for much, much less.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    eobet wrote: »
    II can't understand how anyone, even if they are loaded with cash, would pay that much for a silly little game!
    Easy. We don't live in Crazy Price Hike Country. Bought the game new for 20 quid or so whilst in the UK over the holidays.

Glal on
    edited January 2009
    I still haven't bought the first one, because it costs SIX HUNDRED F-ING SWEDISH CROWNS still!

That's about 60 euro or 80 us dollars.

Or half the price of the entire console.

I can't understand how anyone, even if they are loaded with cash, would pay that much for a silly little game!

I haven't bought Super Mario Galaxy either because of its ridiculus price.

I'm having way too much fun with WiiWare, Koroninpa and Resident Evil 4 which I got for much, much less.

Jeeez, haven't you ever heard of importing?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ampix wrote: »

Last time I checked it wasn't that cheap at those places either. But they seem to be lowered now. Too bad Play is out of stock. If I order something from Amazon, maybe I'll slip that in, but now I feel like I'd rather wait for the sequel.

I've tried the original, and wasn't that impressed. It felt rather tedious. I hope this sequel will offer cooperative multi-player, though! We're lacking games like that for the Wii at our home.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ampix wrote: »

Last time I checked it wasn't that cheap at those places either. But they seem to be lowered now. Too bad Play is out of stock. If I order something from Amazon, maybe I'll slip that in, but now I feel like I'd rather wait for the sequel.

I've tried the original, and wasn't that impressed. It felt rather tedious. I hope this sequel will offer cooperative multi-player, though! We're lacking games like that for the Wii at our home.

IIRC, the first Boom Blox had cooperative multiplayer.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rocky62rocky62 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Boom Blox is fun as hell but it's also one of the buggiest console games I've ever played. Hopefully they clean things up a little better this time around.

yeah, I hope this one is better and much more glitch free.

rocky62 on
    Gaming Elite! :P e2ad76f2326fbc6b56a45a56c59fafdb.gif2bc8ae25856bc2a6a1333d1331a3b7a6.giff542eae1949358e25d8bfeefe5b199f1.gif
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bought day one. The first was top ten GOTY, this sounds even better.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    rocky62 wrote: »

What exactly are you talking about I don't remember finding any bug oO

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    rocky62 wrote: »

What exactly are you talking about I don't remember finding any bug oO

The only bug I remember is that sometimes when you pulled a block out in Jenga mode and let go right away, it counted as taking out the block, but the block was still there. You couldn't select it anymore either.

That rarely happened, and even when it did.. it wasn't that big of a deal.

Figgy on
    edited February 2009
    I hope they up the difficulty a little bit for single player, and give us some better rewards for gold medals. I so can't wait to get this though.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guek on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    scootch wrote: »
    you'd think nintendo would get the hint when developers are listing "no friend codes" in the feature list :)

nintendo doesn't care. You can either use their prebuilt system or make your own, they're not going to cry over one less game not using their servers that nobody pays to use

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    scootch wrote: »

nintendo doesn't care. You can either use their prebuilt system or make your own, they're not going to cry over one less game not using their servers that nobody pays to use

I think his point was that developers know consumers will be more likely to buy the game because it doesn't use Nintendo's shitty system.

In other words, friend codes are so bad games list not having them as a feature.

So, Nintendo should care, because more people would buy their games if the online functions were better.

Figgy on
    edited March 2009
    That's the thing though, Nintendo doesn't care. Developers could make their own version of Live with subscription fees and voice chat and video downloads, but that costs money and time to run. So you either use their prebuilt system of friend codes, which doesn't require that much server time to run effectively. Or you make your own.

And online is still not a selling point of videogames. Only people on these forums actually care about how 'good' the online system is. Only 10% of Halo 3's copies are online, and like .03 of halo 2. And those were the biggest online games besides WoW for the longest time.

tl;dr if people wanted a full featured, Live-like service you would have to buy subscription time. Nintendo doesn't believe selling membership fees is viable so they don't do it.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2009
    Also, the devil is in the details, since no friends codes means it's EA's online service, which means it'll be arbitrarily shut off 2 years from now like all their Xbox Live games.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2009
    Games that use friend codes aren't necessarily using Nintendo's servers, are they?

And I'm willing to put down money that there are people outside these forums that care about online play on their console games.

Figgy on
    edited March 2009
    They are, otherwise your Wii couldn't send the friend requests or find games.

but since it's just straight up codes, there's no authentication or other system to run

FyreWulff on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People act like friend codes are literally built into the hardware. Obviously, a ton of people are enjoying Mario Kart and Smash Bros (08 sales numbers), so it's more of a minor inconvenience to forum-type people than an actual problem.

Hockey Johnston on
    edited March 2009
    What are "forum-type people?" Sales really don't tell you whether or not people care about the online function of a game. I bought Smash Bros and I hate the online system. I also bought Mario Kart, but its online is halfway decent.

In any case, I'm likely to go with the next Microsoft console, since my gaming has become more of a social activity than how it used to be. The online for the Wii has definitely left me turning to PC for my online needs, which I'm quickly becoming unable to keep up with ($ wise).

Figgy on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    What are "forum-type people?" Sales really don't tell you whether or not people care about the online function of a game. I bought Smash Bros and I hate the online system. I also bought Mario Kart, but its online is halfway decent.

Forum type people coordinate with each other, whereas the average consumer hits quickmatch and doesn't have an online community that they play with.

Like, I have friends who play Mario Kart. But none of them would dream of setting up a time to play a game with me online. That's just not how they roll. And my point is that those folks are the majority and we here are the minority.

Hockey Johnston on
    edited March 2009
    Man why is everybody whining about stupid friend codes when there's that awesome trailer!

Wheee X-wings!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guek wrote: »
    - head-tracking will not be included
    ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited March 2009
    Guek wrote: »

Fantastic trailer. Space and undersea FTW. :^:

This one looks to beat the first one in almost every catagory. Better online, downloadable levels, I'm sure more diverse and better single player section, and guarunteed better multi player. Plus cows in space suits are awesome. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!