As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I met a God Damned American Hero today

EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2009 in Social Entropy++
My car is toast, so I was riding the bus around today and when I was waiting at a stop for it to come, and this lady strikes up a conversation with me.

She's 73 years old.

She's in a powerchair.

Her name is Etta.

She told me all about DanActive yogurt and how it calms her stomach and how she's been having stomach problems ever since she was nine when she got Polio.

Polio.

Seriously, nobody has had Polio since the Stone Age.

Then we talked about how people are shitty drivers and how she's worried about Social Security and then when we got on the bus she started hitting on the bus driver.

SE let's talk about old people.

Einhander on

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a Grandma I guess.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dude asked me about the Aryan Bird Flu when I worked at an old folks home once

That's the only funny story I have from there, the rest are sad/gross

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love talking to old people on buses, so much fun. Can't think of a good story but yah it's good times.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you didn't meet R. Lee Ermey

this thread is shit

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm just gonna say Jack Churchill and let the thread sort itself out

I know he's not American

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have a Grandma I guess.

I used too

but she died yesterday

my father saw fit to not tell me until we had lunch today

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As a server, old people don't tip too much. I am okay with that, because I know these old people are probably like my grandma and grandpa, who are awesome. All of them.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    old people rule. i am pretty upset when i hear about old people being disrespected by their kids, because i tihnk about the amazing amount of experience that they have (for the most part - white trash is just old white trash) and for the most part, they deserve respect.

nursing homes are horrible places and i fear getting old and having to spend my life in them.. or get alzheimers. getting old sucks.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was at the WWE show where Hulk Hogan came back

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    failing that Walt Kowalski

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    When I was in middle school we had an assignment where we had to interview someone important, so I was going to interview this WWII vet who lived in a retirement home, and when I went there on the day I was going to interview him I found out he had died the night before.

My teacher gave me an A anyway.

Einhander on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey man I feel for you admiring old people and the times they went through-

But I take considerable notion with you calling someone an American hero just because they are aged.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I wonder if Jack Churchill inadvertently got people killed

My guess would be yes

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    old people rule. i am pretty upset when i hear about old people being disrespected by their kids, because i tihnk about the amazing amount of experience that they have (for the most part - white trash is just old white trash) and for the most part, they deserve respect.

nursing homes are horrible places and i fear getting old and having to spend my life in them.. or get alzheimers. getting old sucks.

Doing nice things for old people makes my day.

Sometimes I'll see old people walking to their car and I want to be all like "Give me the keys, I'll pull her up front for ya".

I learned quickly that they weren't born yesterday.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Druhim's bread.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My grandpa had polio.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2009
    All of my grandparents are dead.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »

My guess would be yes

awesome radiation

fallout is a bitch

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    All of my grandparents are dead.

Go adopt new ones, there are plenty out there. I've got too many that have adopted me, makes visiting a chore.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Weaver wrote: »

But I take considerable notion with you calling someone an American hero just because they are aged.

She told me she lied about her age so she could get a work permit when she was fourteen, and worked all her life until she had to stop after her back gave out.

Also, I forgot to mention, she has a Morphine Administration Device in her spine.

She's practically RoboCop.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

She told me she lied about her age so she could get a work permit when she was fourteen, and worked all her life until she had to stop after her back gave out.

Also, I forgot to mention, she has a Morphine Administration Device in her spine.

She's practically RoboCop.

Old people are so bad ass.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Meissnerd wrote: »

My guess would be yes

awesome radiation

fallout is a bitch

WOOP DEE HERE I GO WITH A BOW AND ARROW

IT'S OKAY JENKINS THE GERMANS CAN'T SEE ME I'M A CHURCHILL

as jack churchill marched off to another hotspot on the battlefield, the germans used mustard gas at the area where arrows were coming from, and jenkins along with 30 of his comrades died with their eyelids fused shut

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

My mom has recently had to go through a big ordeal to get my grandparents into a retirement community. They are both alzheimer's like whoa, and were a danger to themselves living alone.

She has been nearly having a breakdown about the decision for weeks now.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My dad's old. He's cool, kinda my hero I guess.

To help seamlessly tie into the OP, he had polio as a kid and the doctors told him he'd never walk again. He said bah to that. Walked just fine.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fuck Alzheimer scares me, I am glad I have no history in my family for it. I would probably be one of those crazies that tries to off themselves if I knew it was getting bad.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I went to nursing school a few years back. Clinicals at nursing homes were terrible.

It's pretty much the worst place you could ever be.

Einhander on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My grandparents are kinda dicks. They've done some great things and i respect them a lot, but whenever i have to talk to them for a long time all i can think is 'God damn you are racist. Holy fuck.' Outside of the ingrained racism though they're pretty awesome.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    My grandparents are kinda dicks. They've done some great things and i respect them a lot, but whenever i have to talk to them for a long time all i can think is 'God damn you are racist. Holy fuck.' Outside of the ingrained racism though they're pretty awesome.

My grandparents so racist, then my mom married black dude, they all chills as hell now.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

My grandparents so racist, then my mom married black dude, they all chills as hell now.

My grandmother was so afraid of Omama winning, I can't even repeat most of the things she said. Though in her defence once you hit your 90s you pretty much can say whatever you want and who is going to stop you?

Melding on
  • Options
    PhoneCellPhoneCell Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Working in retail I meet a lot of awesome senior citizens. I also meet a lot of shitty ones.

The awesome ones are great because they always have a sense of humor about being old as hell and always want to chat with you about great hunting spots, gas prices, family history and shit. I always feel bad though because I eventually have to be all "gotta get back to work" cause if I don't they'll never stop talking and the boss will chew me out later.

The bad ones, however, are irritable, bitchy, have no patience, and are blatantly racist. Like, in front of your minority co-workers. I had this one lady last week who thought she was Miss Emily or something. All "why do I have to pay for this?" and "I want to talk your manager about why you don't carry what you did last time I was here (19fucking80something)"

PhoneCell on
  • Options
    KittenKitten Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My grandma had polio, she caught it 15 years after the vaccine was released.

I guess preventing a life threating disease wasn't on the top of her list.

She's also really REALLY racist against the Japanese, whole World War II thing.

Kitten on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Willy Nelson.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So my grandfather basically built a better part of a city with his bare hands.

My other grandfather escaped from a train heading to Auschwitz, and attacked and killed a Nazi officer that tried to rape two of his cousins. He then took his uniform and helped his cousins evade the Nazi patrols in the area, before escaping himself.

They're both dead now.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    grantorinotrailercz1.jpg

Also,

I.H.N.I.W.T.R. you had badass grandpas.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Old people are yucky.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My Grandad, looking at the picture he's on the far left, my Grandma, is the lady on the far right.

Indiana Who? This guy was navigator in numerous Lancaster bombers during WWII, he's got stories of being separated from their group, having to drop below the clouds to regain their bearings and still finding and hitting their targets. Turns out they were dropping their bombs UNDER THE CLOUDS AND UNDER THE REST OF THEIR FLIGHT... think about that for a second.

GrandadAwesome1.jpg

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My grandfather was a survivor of U-Boat 175. The guy with the cig in his mouth, wrapped in a blanket. That's him.
    Uboat_sinking_survivors.png

This is the moment the war ended for him.

Sinking_of_U-175.JPG

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't have any blood-related grandmothers anymore. :( However my only grandpa remarried to an awesome woman.

Morgenstern your grandpa is fucking badass. All the other guys look traumatized but he's all "fuck I have a fucking cigarette, I'm cool"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I took a Manhattan Project class my freshman year at the Uni of Minnesota and during one of the classes the prof brought in another prof who just happened to have been at Los Alamos when they tested the A-Bomb. He brought in all the stuff they gave him at the test, like the glass you had to shield your eyes with and stuff, and talked about Oppenheimer.

His name was Hans and he had tenure.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't have any blood-related grandmothers anymore. :( However my only grandpa remarried to an awesome woman.

Morgenstern your grandpa is fucking badass. All the other guys look traumatized but he's all "fuck I have a fucking cigarette, I'm cool"

He smoked about 15 cigs a day until the age of 89. He was a machine.

Morgenstern on