As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hannah Montana on the DS! (Use the other Rock Band thread)

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    So how come GH is getting two free Springsteen songs and Rock Band still has nothing from the Boss? I'd gladly pay for them. I just want to play Born to Run. Radio Nowhere would be awesome too.

Your faith is being tested.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RB needs more free stuff.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Maybe if it ever sells like GH, it will.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So how come GH is getting two free Springsteen songs and Rock Band still has nothing from the Boss? I'd gladly pay for them. I just want to play Born to Run. Radio Nowhere would be awesome too.

Oh, you want a shitty new song from an artist that probably hit his peak before half of us were probably born?

Granted one Springsteen song is awesome, but the other is absoute garbage, even for being free.

Maybe if it ever sells like GH, it will.

I'm not sure who's joking and who isn't, but just in case.

There are currently 4 free songs to download for either RB or RB2.

Upon purchasing RB2, you obtain 20 free songs.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "My Lucky Day" isn't a bad song at all. A bit repetitive, but not bad. And "Born to Run" is of course fantastic, but I think he was more stating why we haven't gotten any Springsteen at all.

Rock Band will never be complete as a game until it gets "Tenth Avenue Freezeout" and "Thunder Road".

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "My Lucky Day" isn't a bad song at all. A bit repetitive, but not bad. And "Born to Run" is of course fantastic, but I think he was more stating why we haven't gotten any Springsteen at all.

Rock Band will never be complete as a game until it gets "Tenth Avenue Freezeout" and "Thunder Road".

This, pretty much. I would be happy with any Springsteen. I'd prefer the old stuff, but the new stuff is better than nothing.

They should release a saxophone peripheral with a Springsteen pack. You know you'd buy it.

elevature on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My gamertag is working now, and my band and such is still safe. Whew.

To warm back up on the drums I did a 4-song mystery setlist, and got

Rock and Roll Star
    New Way Home
    The Camera Eye
    Lazy Eye

Rock Band 2, I don't know if I'm supposed to love you or hate you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I did a solo mystery setlist on drums earlier and got Colony of Birchmen, Ride the Lightning, and Perfect Insanity. I swear, I grabbed the 5th star dying seconds of each song.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It appears that YouTube is beginning to crack down on Rock Band/music game chart videos. The account for IBitePrettyHard has been suspended and others have been hit as well. Looks like it'll get harder and harder to checkout tracks before purchase.

Thanks, RIAA! You really know how to win the public over to your side of the argument.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

This, pretty much. I would be happy with any Springsteen. I'd prefer the old stuff, but the new stuff is better than nothing.

They should release a saxophone peripheral with a Springsteen pack. You know you'd buy it.

Also, I'm not really surprised that they got Springsteen first (and are putting a new song out). He's putting out a new album and played the Super Bowl halftime show, it falls in line with Activision's method of promoting new songs rather than picking out necessarily the best ones.

What did surprise me is that they're getting the Shins. That's just odd. I'm not going to worry until they get Todd Rundgren, though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It appears that YouTube is beginning to crack down on Rock Band/music game chart videos. The account for IBitePrettyHard has been suspended and others have been hit as well. Looks like it'll get harder and harder to checkout tracks before purchase.

Thanks, RIAA! You really know how to win the public over to your side of the argument.

Yeah, it sucks. Half the videos I try to watch have been taken down. :(

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, that's a shame. I tend to rarely keep copies of my own videos. I'll just upload elsewhere.

Weird how they only just recently did a newpaper article on him and a few others.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

As much as I want to hate on the RIAA for this, I blame Youtube for this. They easily fold for any kind of complaint. Really. Whine enough about a particular user and you can get their account suspended even if there is absolutely no merit to the complaint. It really shows how much Youtube cares about it's community.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

*facepalm*

Only the RIAA could be dumb enough to eliminate a free source of advertisement.

Although are we sure it's the RIAA doing this? Not that I wouldn't put it up to them, but MTV is owned by Viacom who did go through that fiasco with The Daily Show and Colbert Report on Youtube.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Youtube HAS to fold easily, that's how you stay a DMCA Safe Harbor. If they start wasting money defending Joe Blow's Awesome Rock Band Videoz, they lose that protection and legally infer that they 'authorize' any and all uploads.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I only know too well how easily they'll fold for disputes.

shockwavedispute.jpg

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Youtube HAS to fold easily, that's how you stay a DMCA Safe Harbor. If they start wasting money defending Joe Blow's Awesome Rock Band Videoz, they lose that protection and legally infer that they 'authorize' any and all uploads.

They fold for the most inane things. They even have official music videos that are muted. It's not that they do it to stay in legal grounds. They do it because they are a bunch of pansies.

Youtube sucks.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »

They fold for the most inane things. They even have official music videos that are muted. It's not that they do it to stay in legal grounds. They do it because they are a bunch of pansies.

Actually no, it's due to legal grounds they have to stay in.

edit: the purpose of the law being that if they file a complaint, you can file a counter complaint. If your counter complaint sticks, they'll have a bad day if they DMCA complaint you again.

http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/faq.cgi
    Question: What are the counter-notice and put-back procedures?

Answer: In order to ensure that copyright owners do not wrongly insist on the removal of materials that actually do not infringe their copyrights, the safe harbor provisions require service providers to notify the subscribers if their materials have been removed and to provide them with an opportunity to send a written notice to the service provider stating that the material has been wrongly removed. [512(g)] If a subscriber provides a proper "counter-notice" claiming that the material does not infringe copyrights, the service provider must then promptly notify the claiming party of the individual's objection. [512(g)(2)] If the copyright owner does not bring a lawsuit in district court within 14 days, the service provider is then required to restore the material to its location on its network. [512(g)(2)(C)]

A proper counter-notice must contain the following information:

* The subscriber's name, address, phone number and physical or electronic signature [512(g)(3)(A)]
    * Identification of the material and its location before removal [512(g)(3)(B)]
    * A statement under penalty of perjury that the material was removed by mistake or misidentification [512(g)(3)(C)]
    * Subscriber consent to local federal court jurisdiction, or if overseas, to an appropriate judicial body. [512(g)(3)(D)]

If it is determined that the copyright holder misrepresented its claim regarding the infringing material, the copyright holder then becomes liable to the OSP for any damages that resulted from the improper removal of the material. [512(f)]

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd give you that if they actually were to follow the DMCA. They haphazardly take down videos. While a RB video of a note chart is taken down, a shitty AMV with the same music is still up. Either go all the way, or don't do it at all.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The copyright owners have to issue a notice, or the fingerprinting software has to match it. If you want the AMV video to go down, report it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't want any video to go down. I'm just saying Youtube has a) shitty software and 2) don't bat an eyelash to a complaint. They never bother to try to see if the video is in violation. They just do it.

Whateves. It's not like I use their shitty service.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't want any video to go down. I'm just saying Youtube has a) shitty software and 2) don't bat an eyelash to a complaint. They never bother to try to see if the video is in violation. They just do it.

That is exactly what they have to do, because wasting money checking every video would be impossible

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

As much as I want to hate on the RIAA for this, I blame Youtube for this. They easily fold for any kind of complaint. Really. Whine enough about a particular user and you can get their account suspended even if there is absolutely no merit to the complaint. It really shows how much Youtube cares about it's community.

Without the RIAA complaining, this isn't an issue. How many videos on there are of 'copyrighted' material? Or contain such things? If every entity that owns a copyright on something lodges a complaint, then all YouTube would be left with are a bunch of videos from people desperately looking for internet attention for themselves and their cats. And thus YouTube would be exposed as the retarded idea it has always been...

Maybe some good can come from this.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

That is exactly what they have to do, because wasting money checking every video would be impossible

They rather spend that time putting Vlogs on their front page.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Without the RIAA complaining, this isn't an issue. How many videos on there are of 'copyrighted' material? Or contain such things? If every entity that owns a copyright on something lodges a complaint, then all YouTube would be left with are a bunch of videos from people desperately looking for internet attention for themselves and their cats. And thus YouTube would be exposed as the retarded idea it has always been...

Hey, don't be knocking them cat videos. They're hilarious.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Indeed. Have you seen the one where they're playing with a Pepsi box? Adorable.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It was amusing when it was called America's Funniest Home Videos and there'd be some shallow, scripted comment from whomever was hosting the thing.

Apparently, one of the beliefs is the RIAA has figured out that people can use recording software to record the audio output of these videos and have free access to music and stuff. If so, I wonder if they'd have the balls to go after a band's MySpace page...

I guess the death throes of the industry will end up hitting those parties concerned about its well being.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The turnaround time for my case after appealing it was about 4-5 hours, in case anyone was curious. Which was (I'm assuming) YouTube telling UMG "hey they appealed so we'll just yank the video off in a few hours, ok?"

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It was amusing when it was called America's Funniest Home Videos and there'd be some shallow, scripted comment from whomever was hosting the thing.

Apparently, one of the beliefs is the RIAA has figured out that people can use recording software to record the audio output of these videos and have free access to music and stuff. If so, I wonder if they'd have the balls to go after a band's MySpace page...

I guess suing twelve year olds for file sharing has gotten a bit stale.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Man, it should just be Tuesday already. :(

Kor on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I still like Rock Band.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I guess suing twelve year olds for file sharing has gotten a bit stale.

The RIAA: Because our customers can't be trusted.

Or,

The RIAA: Unlike other industries, we're allowed to be major dicks to our customers.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, question for you guitar people.

How hard do you rate the "Rob the Prez-O-Dent" guitar solo at the end?
    I ask because my sister couldn't get over 90% before and last night she FC'ed it twice.

EDIT: By the way, the RIAA isn't doing the most pushing on YouTube, its the record labels and the film companies that are doing all the pushing.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    So, question for you guitar people.

How hard do you rate the "Rob the Prez-O-Dent" guitar solo at the end?
    I ask because my sister couldn't get over 90% before and last night she FC'ed it twice.

EDIT: By the way, the RIAA isn't doing the most pushing on YouTube, its the record labels and the film companies that are doing all the pushing.

I'd probably rate it seven or eight out of ten. It doesn't get tricky until about half way through and at that point it's about being good with fast HOPOs. I can't say if I've ever FC'd it myself, but I don't pay much attention to that stuff so I don't remember if I have. I think the 'shotgun' parts just before the solo are harder.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If I'm warmed up, Rob-the Prez isn't that bad. If its like the first song I'm playing, my fingers are ready for it yet.

Kor on
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I would buy one if they released some Morphine songs. Crap... I'd have to buy two for some songs.

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anti-Sean wrote: »

I would buy one if they released some Morphine songs. Crap... I'd have to buy two for some songs.

Oh come on. If anything would come out with a saxaphone it would have to be Baker Street.

Kor on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm against pretty much all extra controller-instrument suggestions.

However, if a saxophone add-on lets me play Sublime's "Date Rape" ... I may change my opinion. I'm just saying.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Anti-Sean wrote: »

Oh come on. If anything would come out with a saxaphone it would have to be Baker Street.

A plastic saxaphone is just another reason to have more Tenacious D in the game.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what the hell is "nikko" by the by

Feels Good Man on