As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hannah Montana on the DS! (Use the other Rock Band thread)

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what the hell is "nikko" by the by

It's songs from that new Sony High School Musical knockoff thingy.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Short for Nickelodeon.

Really, it's just a band or artist that is doing some kind of teen-pop music for a High School Musical knock-off. Or something like that. 'Teen-pop' is probably the most useful description for whatever value that has for you.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Short for Nickelodeon.

Really, it's just a band or artist that is doing some kind of teen-pop music for a High School Musical knock-off. Or something like that. 'Teen-pop' is probably the most useful description for whatever value that has for you.

Ahyup. Nickelodeon's trying desperately to get some of that lucrative teen pop pie Disney's gorging on.

And since Nick and MTV are part of the same corporate family, we can expect to see a few tracks from whichever disposable kid Nick's trying to flog at that point every now and again.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ronen wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    #2 - HOW...HOW...HOW has no one really hammered home that "Forever" by In This Moment is a fucking PHENOMENAL, MUST-HAVE on EVERY instrument. My roomate bought it the other night on a whim, and he bought it on my XBox before going back to his, so I have it now. I think if the Lacuna Coil songs end up being good, I'll purchase the whole pack myself -- but DAMMIT, "Forever" is now my favorite song in the game (at the moment!), and it needed to be said. Go check it out if you havent yet.

Agreed. I play this track every time I boot the game up. The Expert guitar part is so much fun and the bass part sounds so... substantial that it feels great to play. I really recommend this track.

In This Moment in general is a confusing band... they've got a very Evanescence/Lacuna Coil sound, but their lyrics are happy, jovial even. I love their balance though. They've got some other tracks on their second CD that would make great RB songs (I'm looking at you, Mechanical Love, You Always Believed and All For You).

Agreed. I wanted the Lacuna Coil songs, so I went ahead and bought the whole pack on a whim. I didn't care for it much at first, but it quickly grew on me. It's a lot of fun on drums.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    More Evanescence would be nice. Tourniquet, other than being a very disturbing song (and trying a little too hard to tap into that tortured goth cutter mentality), would be pretty fantastic to play. And where the hell is Drain STH, by the way? I'm kind of amazed they haven't been represented yet for some good hard rocker-chick stuff.

Fawst on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    More Evanescence? Do we have any right now?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fawst wrote: »
    And where the hell is Drain STH, by the way? I'm kind of amazed they haven't been represented yet for some good hard rocker-chick stuff.

Who?

And by 'Who?' you should get the idea as to why they're not in the game. Also, rocker-chick stuff? Yeah... They're releasing Pat Benatar and The Pretenders this week. To varying degrees of apathy.

Rock and Roll is filled with white, middle class, sausagefests. Get used to it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fawst wrote: »
    And where the hell is Drain STH, by the way? I'm kind of amazed they haven't been represented yet for some good hard rocker-chick stuff.

Who?

And by 'Who?' you should get the idea as to why they're not in the game. Also, rocker-chick stuff? Yeah... They're releasing Pat Benatar and The Pretenders this week. To varying degrees of apathy.

NEVAAAAAAAAAH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCVR-EKJpE

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I have a friend who likes Rock Band but will not purchase it until they put out "Zombie" by the Cranberries.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Going slightly back to the Youtube/RIAA thing on the last page - the issue really began popping up when Youtube starting letting stuff be broadcast in high quality. Before, as with MySpace, the music you were listening to was of significantly lower quality then you could buy on Amazon or iTunes, not even figuring in the actual CD quality.

Now though, you can get some really good audio quality if you were to record straight from YouTube.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That still presumes the average person is going to use YouTube and any other means to extract music for their own personal use.

I wonder what they'd do should cybernetics become the norm and people implant recording devices into their ears.

Oh, and for the record: I don't have a problem with music from bands featuring predominantly women or non-whites. I just don't expect to see a lot from those areas given what is generally marketed as 'rock' in the first place.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We'll probably end up seeing a lot of videos come out that have the audio mangled/replaced, when people are simply trying to demonstrate some sort of accomplishment on a chart.

For example, this video showing a high drum score on "Teenage Riot", with the audio replaced with "Bodies" by Downing Pool (which is apparently in Youtube's Audio Swap library):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=makufyqjfgc

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I suppose switching to external recording would be a safer bet or at least including external recording noise so its not totally recorded off the game. Sort of like Azurite and Someguy on their drum videos.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You heard one Evanescence song, you've heard them all. Also, no.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Short for Nickelodeon.

Ahyup. Nickelodeon's trying desperately to get some of that lucrative teen pop pie Disney's gorging on.

And since Nick and MTV are part of the same corporate family, we can expect to see a few tracks from whichever disposable kid Nick's trying to flog at that point every now and again.

On the plus side, those same corporate ties are what gave us Charlene (I'm Right Behind You) and Promised Land.

I've also seen the commercials for this movie these songs are from. It is basically your carbon copy High School Musical. According to Wiki, you get codes to redeem these two songs when you buy the DVD too, so...yay.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Short for Nickelodeon.

On the plus side, those same corporate ties are what gave us Charlene (I'm Right Behind You) and Promised Land.

I've also seen the commercials for this movie these songs are from. It is basically your carbon copy High School Musical. According to Wiki, you get codes to redeem these two songs when you buy the DVD too, so...yay.

So it's worth it to spend about $20 for a DVD with codes for two free songs instead of just skipping the DVD and paying $2?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Obviously, you never took math class.

$20 = DVD + 2 free songs > 2 songs at $0.99

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Arikado wrote: »

This is no ordinary DVD. I'd say the DVD/song combo is a greater value than just the two songs if I could choose which DVD to get. But, since I'd be locked into High School Musical: The Knock-off, I'd rather think saving $18 (plus tax!) would be more preferable if I really wanted those songs to begin with... (And it wouldn't even be worth the effort to buy the damned thing and then trade it in to blockbuster or something after redeeming the song codes.)

Unless you were using the equation so show that $20 is, in fact, a greater value than $2. On that, I'd have to agree.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

NEVAAAAAAAAAH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCVR-EKJpE

:^:

My girl would go fucking nuts if we got some Cranberries.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Right now I feel RB2 needs some Subways or Biffy Clyro.

That or more Maiden.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

This is no ordinary DVD. I'd say the DVD/song combo is a greater value than just the two songs if I could choose which DVD to get. But, since I'd be locked into High School Musical: The Knock-off, I'd rather think saving $18 (plus tax!) would be more preferable if I really wanted those songs to begin with... (And it wouldn't even be worth the effort to buy the damned thing and then trade it in to blockbuster or something after redeeming the song codes.)

Unless you were using the equation so show that $20 is, in fact, a greater value than $2. On that, I'd have to agree.

No. Just saying FREE! tends to stand out more. Also, just being sarcastic about it. :P

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No. Just saying FREE! tends to stand out more. Also, just being sarcastic about it. :P

Yeah, that was pretty clear. I'm also just trying to be more clever than 'olol Nicktoons sux!' Especially since I don't really care if Viacom wants to use Rock Band as a kind of marketing venue. Those Disturbed tracks were technically free and I sure as shit wasn't chomping at the bit to get those at no charge...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I just scored 1600 points to make my game the ultimate party machine. I rarely get these moments of fortune but I think I'm about to blow it all on the No Doubt album.

Anybody want to convince me otherwise? Or forever hold your peace?

I think I might wait until next week's announcement, but either way....songs will be bought.

TacoMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No Doubt...sucks?

I don't know, man. How set are you for the SRV, Jane's Addiction, and/or Pearl Jam releases coming up?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    TacoMan wrote: »
    So I just scored 1600 points to make my game the ultimate party machine. I rarely get these moments of fortune but I think I'm about to blow it all on the No Doubt album.

I think I might wait until next week's announcement, but either way....songs will be bought.

Do you have The Who pack?

If yes, continue with your plan.

If no, get The Who pack.

EDIT: Santa, he obviously does not share your opinion of No Doubt if he's willing to buy them at all.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah, that was pretty clear. I'm also just trying to be more clever than 'olol Nicktoons sux!' Especially since I don't really care if Viacom wants to use Rock Band as a kind of marketing venue. Those Disturbed tracks were technically free and I sure as shit wasn't chomping at the bit to get those at no charge...

You mean that Best Buy pre-order deal? That didn't go as well as they'd hope. (Free DLC for all!)

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If no, get The Who pack.

EDIT: Santa, he obviously does not share your opinion of No Doubt if he's willing to buy them at all.

I'll have to agree here. Who comes first.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If no, get The Who pack.

I'll have to agree here. Who comes first.

Then Whats on second?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited February 2009

If no, get The Who pack.

It wasn't really supposed to be a comment on what I think of the band (don't like 'em, don't think they suck either). Just a kind of half-hearted shrug response. Anybody intending to spend 1600 points on the No Doubt pack (or any other) is looking for a compelling reason to not buy it. Which doesn't really exist. That's why I mentioned the upcoming albums... What else can you say to dissuade somebody intent on spending $20 for add-on video game content?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah, my mistake. I thought you were saying like, "Really? No Doubt? They suck!"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

If no, get The Who pack.

Aye, so no offense to Santa, but his musical tastes are highly...specific? Haha, for lack of a better word...picky?

To each their own, but if you take a gander at my DLC list (in the sig), I usually pick from party-favorite songs as familiarity often breeds fun at RB parties. I'm a big believer in fun over challenge (without getting too easy). I usually cherry pick from albums; I'd rather have a select few that are excellent that litter my selection with "meh" songs (i.e., not buying all of "Moving Pictures" or "Boston"). As much as I'd like to see Rock Band come out with an itunes selection of every album available in the world, I think it would be practical to glean "the best of" from various bands. However, as long as people continue to pay for full albums that include songs that don't transfer well in Rock Band (looking at you Doolittle), Harmonix will supply the goods.

I am looking forward to SRV, Jane's, and Pearl Jam, but I will certainly be cherry-picking the most familiar songs of these. If any unfamiliar songs cross my way, I give them a listen and look at dlc reviews on rbdlc.com. If they are exceptionally fun on all instruments, I get them.

I got a couple of the Who songs, but after reading some reviews, they don't all meet standards that I put for my DLC. Not that they aren't great songs (and I still plan on getting "My Generation"), but I need to be very frugal for my purchases as I don't come across points very often....and, also, I'm afraid of Keith Moon.

edit: think of it less as dissuading somebody intent on using $20 on DLC, and more as somebody who is just announcing he's going to jump off a bridge asking those who have already jumped if the water is freezing cold or not.

I've heard good things about the No Doubt album for RB, but all this talk about getting the Who is making me second guess. Maybe I should get a mix bag of goodies instead of a one-band purchase. See, this is the beauty of asking, you guys have the power to change my mind by spurring conversation.

TacoMan on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do you have Bad to the Bone? You are not allowed to buy the whole No Doubt album if you don't have Bad to the Bone.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do you have My Sharona? You are not allowed to buy the whole No Doubt album if you don't have My Sharona.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Do you have My Sharona? You are not allowed to buy the whole No Doubt album if you don't have My Sharona.

Yes, quite. In fact, we should start making a list.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Aye, so no offense to Santa, but his musical tastes are highly...specific? Haha, for lack of a better word...picky?

No offense taken. My tastes are pretty broad, but what I really like can be kind of narrow. I'll cop to that.

As I said, it was a half-hearted attempt to talk you out of something you obviously wish to buy. Call it a Poor Man's Devil's Advocate...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No offense taken. My tastes are pretty broad, but what I really like can be kind of narrow. I'll cop to that.

As I said, it was a half-hearted attempt to talk you out of something you obviously wish to buy. Call it a Poor Man's Devil's Advocate...

Much appreciated, though. I do wish to buy it in the future, but I'll cop to the fact that my post is a (not-so) subtle plea for somebody to review my list (and respect my standards/tastes) and perhaps make some recommendations. So I guess I could say that I won't go for the one-trick pony (as good as a trick is) but I'll spring for a mixed bag of goodies!

Bad to the Bone? I like that recommendation as it's a highly familiar song and would do well at parties. I was just looking at possible purchases and I've been on the fence for this song. Also, I do own My Sharona, which has been an unpleasant experience for some...lyrically.

edit: damn. keep posting despite my absence of response, grocery store run! anybody want anything?

TacoMan on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thats the weirdest part of this DLC now, I wish I could go back and swap songs. I was so excited to have WEEKLY content at the beginning, I bought almost everything just because I could. And now, I go through, and there's songs that I would have picked up in a HEARTBEAT in the 1st year of Rock Band, yet because I'm holding onto points for Stevie Ray Vaughn, and have finally wrapped my brain around the concept that "This is a STORE. These tracks will STAY HERE. You CAN buy them LATER." I haven't picked them up.

I have "Gimmie Three Steps", but not "Are You Gonna Go My Way". What the hell?
    I have "Roam" but not "Jesus Christ Pose". HUH?

Now, for me to buy something day 1 I either have to absolutley love it, or it has to be a huge party favorite. The urgency to buy points and unload them on a weekly basis has strongly subsided.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll never understand the Pokemon mentality with RB DLC. I think it's a weird 'In for a penny, in for a pound' line of thinking I just can't grasp. Some people have just gone on for so long buying everything anyway that they still do it just to keep claiming that they buy/download everything. But it makes for interesting weeks with the Nick promo stuff...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Gotta Catch 'Em all even if they suck (Bidoof).

Shady3011 on