As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're pimps and killers, but in a philanthropic way. [Dollhouse, Whedon spoilers]

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I'm still wondering if Whedon has an ace in the hole with 20th Century. As far as I know they have a good relationship and he always seems to deliver good earners in the home video department. I don't know how much pull he has with them or whether they'd be willing to step in on his behalf and help DH get renewed, but I'm hanging onto that wild hope.

If Kevin Smith is to be believed, "You make money = We like you." End of story.

It's all about the end result. 200 dollar movie made 2,000 dollars? You're awesome.

57 mil dollar movie made 60 million? :^:

JamesKeenan on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's really amazing to me that they would cancel this.

Well, it's not really that part that amazes me. It's more that it would be unpopular enough to cancel.

MrMister on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    End wrote: »
    The situation with Prison Break is different though. FOX is airing all the episodes they ordered. It's the production company (20th Century Fox) that produced an extra series finale to wrap things up, which is going on the DVD set.

Well, that makes me slightly less angry, but I'm still annoyed. Why the hell did they produce an extra episode, I wonder?

I'm assuming when they made the fourth season they didn't know whether the show would be back, so it ended with a cliffhanger or some such. When FOX canceled it I guess the production company decided the DVD sales would be enough to be worth producing a satisfying conclusion for the fans.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TvByTheNumbers has been saying Dollhouse will inevitably be canceled since before the show aired. Even as other sources, even now, say that the decision is up in the air or that Fox is keeping Dollhouse around they've said each new piece of data is a new final nail in the coffin. I don't get why people want to wallow in that misery.

I still think it gets retained. But if it doesn't dwelling on it makes no sense.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    TvByTheNumbers has been saying Dollhouse will inevitably be canceled since before the show aired. Even as other sources, even now, say that the decision is up in the air or that Fox is keeping Dollhouse around they've said each new piece of data is a new final nail in the coffin. I don't get why people want to wallow in that misery.

I still think it gets retained. But if it doesn't dwelling on it makes no sense.

Drama of a show? That's an hour a week. Maybe two or three if you have some friends to talk with it about.

Drama about a show? Boundless.

piL on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Srsly

I'd say Dollhouse nets me about 4 hours of entertainment per week.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited April 2009
    It's kind of like watching sports. Look at the numbers, bite your nails, hope Joss Whedon or Tim Minear come up to bat soon and knock an episode out of the park.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

People have been saying the show would be cancelled since it was first announced it would air on Fox. I'm pretty sure that was literally the second post, if not the OP when it was announced here in the forum.

There is just literally no faith in Fox not fucking us fans over, yet again.

I just honestly can't find the energy to be outraged on behalf of the show over it. It's a good show, but out of the four shows now he's done, it's definately his weakest.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dude. Seriously?

GungHo on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

People have been saying the show would be cancelled since it was first announced it would air on Fox. I'm pretty sure that was literally the second post, if not the OP when it was announced here in the forum.

I just honestly can't find the energy to be outraged on behalf of the show over it. It's a good show, but out of the four shows now he's done, it's definately his weakest.

I think it has a ton of potential, and it's premature to call it his weakest.

Well, maybe. I really loved his other shows.

Anyway, canceling the last episode may make sense if it's set up such that episode 12 largely wraps up current plot issues, while episode 13 sets up for a second season. Basically provide a pseudo-series-finale in case it didn't get picked up, which had to be a very real consideration from the outset.

Also, the US needs more one-off shows. One-season (or half-season) shows with no prospect for further seasons that basically tell a complete story in 12-24 episodes. The only one I can think of in recent years was Day Break, which I enjoyed even though it was utterly mediocre. Mainly because it was marginally enjoyable with low commitment...I was going to get an "ending" in X episodes, no matter what. Like an extended movie.

It was also amusing when they canned it, despite having already aired half of it and having a total of six more episodes of the entire series to air. And the fact that it was only filling the slot during another show's hiatus (Lost, IIRC). And that they just put reruns on in its place.

Basically I hate networks.

I think Dollhouse may have made a brilliant 24-episode series, especially if they had condensed the first five down into like two or three. No worries about being renewed for next season, only have to maintain ratings strong enough to warrant playing the remaining episodes rather than trying to find a mid-season replacement that could do better.

And worst-case, the production company can just release the entire thing as a DVD set later, so fans will always have a chance to get the "whole" series.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009

I think it's comparable to or possibly better than Buffy and Angel's first seasons. I find the premise far more compelling than either of those two shows, as well.

I suppose if it gets canceled and we only get this season you'll probably have a good point there, though, unless the last five episodes are astonishingly good.

OremLK on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Also, the US needs more one-off shows. One-season (or half-season) shows with no prospect for further seasons that basically tell a complete story in 12-24 episodes. The only one I can think of in recent years was Day Break, which I enjoyed even though it was utterly mediocre. Mainly because it was marginally enjoyable with low commitment...I was going to get an "ending" in X episodes, no matter what. Like an extended movie.

I definitely agree that the US needs more one-off shows. Too often shows overstay their welcome, don't wrap things up, and are tarnished as a result. I like a nice complete story, often a story I can buy in a DVD set after its finished its run.

In the very least, I'd like to see shows do a much better job of wrapping up story arcs.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I think it's comparable to or possibly better than Buffy and Angel's first seasons. I find the premise far more compelling than either of those two shows, as well.

I suppose if it gets canceled and we only get this season you'll probably have a good point there, though, unless the last five episodes are astonishingly good.

Buffy and Angel, fine, but Serenity was kicking ass in its first episode and still got canned. Or did Serenity Part I and II not air first?

Delzhand on
    edited April 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    Dude. Seriously?

Whose misery?
    Renzo wrote: »

Do there wear this?

af2a_jayne_hoodie_inuse.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Buffy and Angel, fine, but Serenity was kicking ass in its first episode and still got canned. Or did Serenity Part I and II not air first?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: PAGES OF NERD RAGE

EDIT: Medium answer is that "The Train Job" aired first, and "Serenity (I and II)" aired last. Followed by nerd rage.

EDIT: The episode order in the U.S., according to wikipedia, was 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 1. With 11-13 unaired, and 1 being Serenity parts I and II combined.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009
    My only potential aversion to one-off seasons of shows is that a single season is just long enough to become seriously invested in characters and thus want more of them. A movie is, like, two hours. You watch it, you go home. Even the best characters in a movie have little staying power; they don't instill in you that sense of kinship, and while you may look forward to sequels, it's not a big deal if you don't get them.

After a season, though, after 13+ hours of following these characters across several months, you're hooked. These people are almost like family. I mean, look at Firefly. One season, and then a 2 hour movie that pretty much wrapped up all the loose ends. Hey, awesome, now we're done with Firefly, right? Aw, fuck no! Many people would murder a nun for a second season.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited April 2009
    EDIT: The episode order in the U.S., according to wikipedia, was 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 1. With 11-13 unaired, and 1 being Serenity parts I and II combined.

You know, I knew this was the case, but I'd never seen it actually written out. It's so much more painful this way, like it's one of those "Predict what comes next in this series" riddles, and the answer is "Cancellation!"

ElJeffe on
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My only potential aversion to one-off seasons of shows is that a single season is just long enough to become seriously invested in characters and thus want more of them. A movie is, like, two hours. You watch it, you go home. Even the best characters in a movie have little staying power; they don't instill in you that sense of kinship, and while you may look forward to sequels, it's not a big deal if you don't get them.

After a season, though, after 13+ hours of following these characters across several months, you're hooked. These people are almost like family. I mean, look at Firefly. One season, and then a 2 hour movie that pretty much wrapped up all the loose ends. Hey, awesome, now we're done with Firefly, right? Aw, fuck no! Many people would murder a nun for a second season.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I realized that if I had $40 million to spend for a direct-to-DVD movie/miniseries/season of Firefly, I would totally be calling up Whedon on the phone. I'm not even kidding.
    Partly because I think I'd actually recoup the investment, admittedly.

OremLK on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So is this pretty much the death knell of the show?

I can't understand why they wouldn't show the 13th episode, especially since it features not only you know who

but
    Felicia Day

noir_blood on
    edited April 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So is this pretty much the death knell of the show?

I can't understand why they wouldn't show the 13th episode, especially since it features not only you know who

but
    Felicia Day

Cancelling a show featuring Felicia Day is a grave insult to all mankind. If this is true, these people must be held to answer for their crimes.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009
    OremLK on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    RIP Dollhouse...

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would not want to be the guy who's behind @FoxBroadcasting right now.

area on
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey, awesome, now we're done with Firefly, right? Aw, fuck no! Many people would murder a nun for a second season.

Does... could that work?

rufo on
    edited April 2009
    OremLK on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, if Whedon can focus the white hot beam that is his devoted fandom at FOX, it might catch Glenn Beck on fire.

Or get Dollhouse renewed. Either works for me.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2009

Updated here
    http://twitter.com/feliciaday/status/1485408550
    Thx all, to clarify seems like they'll air #12 as the finale and not air my ep #13 at all? So weird :( Ask @foxbroadcasting I guess?

She doesn't know any more than we do.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    rufo wrote: »
    Hey, awesome, now we're done with Firefly, right? Aw, fuck no! Many people would murder a nun for a second season.

Does... could that work?

Only one way to find out...

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited April 2009
    From everything I'm hearing, this is indeed the same sort of thing as Buffy season 4, though--episode 12 wraps the season's story arc, and episode 13 is kind of a thoughtful coda to the thing, setting up the potential second season (not looking so potential now).

Edit: To clarify something, this is a bad sign, and it's been looking like cancellation for awhile now, but this doesn't push us up to 100% on the cancel-o-meter. More like 99.5%. It's possible FOX just didn't like the episode as a season finale, if it's a "Restless"-style epilogue.

OremLK on
    edited April 2009
    OK now it is confirmed.
    It's true. Dollhouse ep 13 isn't going to air. This makes @feliciaday sad. How do you feel? Why don't share those feelings with FOX?
    http://twitter.com/drhorrible/status/1485114046

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Quote for those of us who don't follow the Twitter fad and thus have a login?

DarkWarrior on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Quote for those of us who don't follow the Twitter fad and thus have a login?

Since it's a search, I'm guessing it's the volume of results that's funny.

(I didn't actually bother logging in, since I don't remember my mostly unused login info, so it's just a guess.)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    It's basically just a shitload of people all commenting on FoxBroadcasting's Twitter to complain about the episode not being aired.

OremLK on
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This link should work for folks without an account:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=to%3Afoxbroadcasting

EDIT: also, see http://search.twitter.com/search?q=Dollhouse

rufo on
    edited April 2009
    And if twitter didn't do it at the drop of a hat I'd say the complaints were bringing twitter down

ed
    Apparently both sides are also somehow claiming this doesn't mean Dollhouse is canceled, which seems unlikely even from someone like me who wasn't willing to doomsay

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You know, I knew this was the case, but I'd never seen it actually written out. It's so much more painful this way, like it's one of those "Predict what comes next in this series" riddles, and the answer is "Cancellation!"

What the episode order doesn't indicate is the number of weeks that it didn't air at all because of Baseball.

Tomanta on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    rufo wrote: »
    This link should work for folks without an account:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=to%3Afoxbroadcasting

EDIT: also, see http://search.twitter.com/search?q=Dollhouse

I know twitter is brief comments, but do people really need to be so illiterate?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm okay with illiterate people as long as they're outspoken for a cause I support :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
This discussion has been closed.