As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're pimps and killers, but in a philanthropic way. [Dollhouse, Whedon spoilers]

1585960616264»

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What would your core hiring policy be though?

People without family, ties and who don't live in the immediate area and attended a large university where people might recognise her.

Its decisions like that, that make the concept of the Dollhouse remaining largely an urban myth hard to swallow.

How many dolls are there in the L.A. house? Maybe twenty at a time? You think it'd be tough to find twenty people that are in a serious jam, have no/loose family ties, and look generic enough or have few enough social contacts who would even think twice if they saw them?

Yeah, a staff of hundred would be tough to come up with. But a few dolls a year to maintain their staff of actives? Not that hard.

mcdermott on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

People without family, ties and who don't live in the immediate area and attended a large university where people might recognise her.

Its decisions like that, that make the concept of the Dollhouse remaining largely an urban myth hard to swallow.
    Yes, one would think they'd put her ass on a plane before sending her on missions. Though there is the whole Dewitt/Echo connection thing.

As for trusting the Dollhouse......yea, seriously.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited April 2009

Yes, one would think they'd put her ass on a plane before sending her on missions. Though there is the whole Dewitt/Echo connection thing.

How many people have recognized Caroline, though? L.A. is a big city, and most of their engagements take place in private (and not just the sex slave ones). She's been recognized all of once, and only because she had a connection to that college...and the Dollhouse probably would never have sent her on that engagement anyway, for that specific reason (she showed up on her own).

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

How many people have recognized Caroline, though? L.A. is a big city, and most of their engagements take place in private (and not just the sex slave ones). She's been recognized all of once, and only because she had a connection to that college...and the Dollhouse probably would never have sent her on that engagement anyway, for that specific reason (she showed up on her own).

Eh. If the Dollhouse is as deadly Serious Business as it is supposed to be then relocating dolls to the other coast is just good practice. It'd lower the recognition chance by a few orders of magnitude at virtually no cost to the house.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, definitely, Dolls tend to be used in more private or secluded settings. Given the Dollhouse staff has the Doll's previous life history on hand (I would assume), they would take steps to avoid accidental contact.

You're unlikely to find a Doll shopping at the supermarket. Not very many people have that sort of fantasy.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited April 2009

Eh. If the Dollhouse is as deadly Serious Business as it is supposed to be then relocating dolls to the other coast is just good practice. It'd lower the recognition chance by a few orders of magnitude at virtually no cost to the house.

Shush you. I'm suspending my disbelief, and you're not helping. :P

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009

Shush you. I'm suspending my disbelief, and you're not helping. :P

Oh, right then, let's blame Dewitt. She obviously has some sort of relationship with Echo and that's why she's in Dewitt's house rather than being shipped out of town.
    We will not bring up the whole episode where it was made clear that most of the dolls from Echo's pod are local. That would be uncivilized.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    The first guy (I think it was the first guy) took her to a party. Now its not just people who might recognise her being there but video and photographic footage that can and will end up in circulation.

Its not something to fret over but when she can reach the university easily from her current assignment while confused, they're operating her too close to her old life.

DarkWarrior on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Its not something to fret over but when she can reach the university easily from her current assignment while confused, they're operating her too close to her old life.
    I'm pretty sure the bolded part isn't supposed to, and hasn't, happened often.

Quid on
    edited April 2009
    Quid wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the bolded part isn't supposed to, and hasn't, happened often.

Still doesn't change the fact that they have her operating three exits down from a fuckload of people that "know" her, when they could just as easily fly her to Prague and work her out of that House instead. Since the languages are part of the imprint.

It's just one of those things the audience is supposed to ignore.

EDIT: At the same time, the off chance of somebody who recognizes Caroline seeing her on the streets of Prague would almost certainly lead them to try to interact with her, whereas somebody who sees her driving away from the local Gas n' Go will just be like "oh, there's that chick I had a class with once" and forget about it.
    Suspension of disbelief is hard work.

mcdermott on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Or, you know, we can assume that the Dollhouses are completely unconnected to each other as the show says.

shryke on
    edited April 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    Or, you know, we can assume that the Dollhouses are completely unconnected to each other as the show says.

Operating independently does not mean completely unconnected.

mcdermott on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dagrabbit wrote: »

Even if you believe that the Dolls aren't being raped on a regular basis, the Dollhouse apparently has no qualms forcing Conspiracy Guy to be raped ("keep having sex with me or they'll make me kill you"), and torturing people if they go against the Dollhouse.

Thats not what was going on in that scene at all. That was a doll they had sent to spy on him, but there's someone on the inside who piggybacked a message on her, it wasn't the Dollhouse saying "keep having sex with her or we will kill you"

It was someone telling him "if you don't keep up this charade the Dollhouse will realize you are on to them and will kill you"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

It can't be easy to acquire people willing to become dolls so it is believable that a house would not want to get rid of one of their dolls after the risk and work they put into recruiting them.

Magell on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »

Even if you believe that the Dolls aren't being raped on a regular basis, the Dollhouse apparently has no qualms forcing Conspiracy Guy to be raped ("keep having sex with me or they'll make me kill you"), and torturing people if they go against the Dollhouse.

Thats not what was going on in that scene at all. That was a doll they had sent to spy on him, but there's someone on the inside who piggybacked a message on her, it wasn't the Dollhouse saying "keep having sex with her or we will kill you"

It was someone telling him "if you don't keep up this charade the Dollhouse will realize you are on to them and will kill you"

basically, it's "keep pretending that this isn't rape, or else we'll kill you"

:P

Evander on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Evander wrote: »

basically, it's "keep pretending that this isn't rape, or else they'll kill you"

SaraLuna on
    edited April 2009
    Magell wrote: »

It can't be easy to acquire people willing to become dolls so it is believable that a house would not want to get rid of one of their dolls after the risk and work they put into recruiting them.
    A couple dozen attractive people willing to give up five years for a pile of cash aren't hard to find. Fuck, depending on the amount I'd be sorely tempted myself.

Quid on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Even though they will send you into areas where people will shoot at you with semi-automatics?

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2009
    Even though they will send you into areas where people will shoot at you with semi-automatics?

Hell, I've volunteered for that.

Besides which, I doubt they get too specific with the risks involved.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009
    I've done that already.

Quid on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Evander wrote: »

basically, it's "keep pretending that this isn't rape, or else we'll kill you"

Evander don't be dense, you're missing the same distinction. The Dollhouse isn't the one telling him he has to keep pretending, the Dollhouse are the ones who has to fool by pretending.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I want to know what the fucking day-staff tells their friends and families. "Yeah, I teach yoga to about 30 people who can't remember me or their previous lesson from day to day, in an underground facility filled with future-tech. A few weeks back one of them went buttshit apehole and sliced up a whole bunch of people. But they pay well."

I mean, Dewitt can't interview people and say "by the way, if we offer you the job and you don't take it, or if we don't offer you the job, we have to kill you to keep you quiet."

Delzhand on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    they probably do a lot of screening to find personalities that are amenable to the dollhouse's goings on.

and if anyone doesn't take the job, they can just drug them, toss into the chair and zap those specific memories away.

SaraLuna on
    edited April 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I want to know what the fucking day-staff tells their friends and families. "Yeah, I teach yoga to about 30 people who can't remember me or their previous lesson from day to day, in an underground facility filled with future-tech. A few weeks back one of them went buttshit apehole and sliced up a whole bunch of people. But they pay well."

I mean, Dewitt can't interview people and say "by the way, if we offer you the job and you don't take it, or if we don't offer you the job, we have to kill you to keep you quiet."
    I suspect it's like DeWitt. They worked for Rossum in some capacity and through whatever internal selection process were shown to be cool with the whole Dollhouse thing.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    20041129h.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    Gabe has no idea what he's missing with his adherence to the Light Side, as anyone who went dark in the original Kotor is aware. I was not prepared for Bioware to allow some of the things I did, or at any rate caused to be done, and I hope with intensity that Obsidian will indulge us to the same degree in our depravities.

I still don't know how I'm supposed to feel about the sequel to Kotor being delivered so soon after the first one. My stated position is that I am "cautiously pleased." I'm not worried about the jump to another developer, which is something I could certainly invest a lot of paranoia in. In about a week, we'll see if my faith in Obsidian will pay dividends, or if - like Troika - they're a cadre of talented individuals with massive ideas for whom technical excellence is an elusive quarry.

I hadn't pre-ordered World of Warcraft, which I recognize was unwise. Typically I respond to shortages at retail with a lot of feral behavior, but I just didn't have it in me. On a lark I walked into the Best Buy across the street, and saw that stock of the game was so high that bored employees had made a kind of fort out of the boxes and seemed prepared to live out their days within them. I carefully removed a section of the rampart and congratulated myself on a surgical shopping experience. I had to re-grout the kitchen that night, something I suggest you energetically avoid, but I was unable to install the game and for a couple days I was largely inured to your plaintive cries.

It is simply true that sometimes we whine about things which are not, strictly speaking, things - or, at any rate, they are not things that merit a sternly phrased online petition. When I heard that there were problems with the launch, I had a hard time even believing it was true - here is a game that had the cleanest beta I've ever been a part of, a beta you could actually play, much as one would an actual videogame. When I heard that servers were, in all seriousness, making you pay to wait in line because they had failed to plan properly we determined that it was well and truly on. Then, over the course of the Thanksgiving Holiday, they doubled their capacity and robbed me of an opportunity make stark, declarative statements. I could make them now, but it just wouldn't be the same. There are still servers down, many at last count, but I don't think it's for lack of trying.

I can't avoid the genre, because I've always had a suspicion there would be a game whose ability to translate my person was so complete, whose mechanisms were so natural that I could just sort of live there instead. Picture a man sipping each milk in the dairy aisle, on the grounds that he will one day come across a mislabeled magical elixir.

(CW)TB out.

loose on an endless spree

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.