As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transformers: Bayhem Strikes Back

devoirdevoir Registered User regular
HD-Capable Superbowl Spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAujq_F_AD0&feature=channel_page

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is the sequel to 2007s hit Trans- Oh forget it.

Gigantic robots are going to beat the crap out of each other again in six months time. 26/06/09 for the US.

Premise (copied from the Wikipedia article):
Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) discovers something about the origins of the Transformers and their history on Earth. The evil Decepticons need to capture him for information. The climactic battle takes place at the Giza pyramid complex, where a temple is located within. Lorenzo di Bonaventura explained the film will show the Transformers who visited Egypt before the pyramids were built, and "all our heroes end up here because of the Decepticons' masterplan." Furthermore, Egyptian hieroglyphs resembling helicopters and other present day vehicles in real life will be explained in the film as being depictions of those Ancient Cybertronians who visited Earth.

New robots (apparently 40 or more total in the current cut), including:
Ravage! Soundwave! The Constructicons!
HELL YES BABY, DEVASTATOR!

The Superbowl Spot is awesome. This spot has made my Sunday.

I'll be adding additional stuff to the OP as it comes.

Edit: Added "plot".

devoir on

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what is the "plot"

Casual Eddy on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The first one was pretty absurdly entertaining the first time, and surprisingly hilarious. I do not have very high hopes for the sequel.

deadonthestreet on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bleah.....Michael Bay's style simply overshadows the Transformers themselves IMO I don't see a Transformers movie, I see another Michael Bay movie

VoodooV on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what is the "plot"

Premise (copied from the Wikipedia article):
    Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) discovers something about the origins of the Transformers and their history on Earth. The evil Decepticons need to capture him for information. The climactic battle takes place at the Giza pyramid complex, where a temple is located within. Lorenzo di Bonaventura explained the film will show the Transformers who visited Egypt before the pyramids were built, and "all our heroes end up here because of the Decepticons' masterplan." Furthermore, Egyptian hieroglyphs resembling helicopters and other present day vehicles in real life will be explained in the film as being depictions of those Ancient Cybertronians who visited Earth.

devoir on
  • MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I feel like the transformers themselves should be the main characters. Hell, with the way the Transformers acted towards humans, you could even make it an allegory for 1st world nations invading 3rd world nations with the US played by the Autobots(humans/3rd worlders are viewed at best as helpful, but mostly like children instead of equals).

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You had me at
    Soundwave.

Transformations look slick as ever.

Had no idea this was coming so soon, but I couldn't be happier.

Almost positive that's Starscream in the trailer, as well as
    Devastator!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope they at least try to give the Deceptacons some personality beyond "generic evil dudes" in this one. Hell, that mostly goes for the Autobots as well.

Story needs to focus more on giant robots and less on romantic subplots.

Last Son on
    edited February 2009
    oh god as much as I wanted to see shia lebufff get it on I much more wanted to see big robots fighting

and ffs I don't care it was vintage the 'black' robot that died first was RIDICULOUS

Casual Eddy on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I guess I should see the first one first, but on the other hand it is Transformers. What could I need to know?

thanimations on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Less flesh-bags please!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pretty sure the whole idea behind that teaser is 'okay, let's just have robots wreaking havoc.' Hopefully the film delivers.

More characterization would be good, too. I liked the first film for the Autobots, but the Decepticons got way too little, except for the (perfect) insult Megatron threw at Starscream.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I saw the first one on HBO a couple days ago. I liked it.

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So the plot of this is the plot of Alien Vs Predator?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only thing I saw in the trailer that bothered me is, unless I just didn't understand what I was seeing, Devastator is rolling around on one big wheel like Gizmoduck.

werehippy on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    The only thing I saw in the trailer that bothered me is, unless I just didn't understand what I was seeing, Devastator is rolling around on one big wheel like Gizmoduck.

Yeah, that's what it looked like - if that was Devastator. And if it was a unicycle Decepticon, it better not have been.

Nova_C on
    edited February 2009
    <sigh>

Bay giveth with one hand, and He taketh away with the other.

werehippy on
    edited February 2009
    Apparently that's not the only childhood ravager being unveiled at the Super Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZroIVS_qNc&e

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Apparently that's not the only childhood ravager being unveiled at the Super Bowl.

ravage.jpg

?

Nova_C on
    edited February 2009
    Actually, I saw that spot earlier and I had to check that Bay wasn't involved with G.I. Joe too. The action is really reminiscent of Bay's stuff, and the part with people for some reason slow motion jumping around missles seemed lifted straight from the first Transformers.

werehippy on
    edited February 2009
    If they're smart, they'll make half the movie focus on Storm Shadow.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    If they're smart, they'll make half the movie focus on Storm Shadow.

And the other half on Snake Eyes.

reVerse on
    edited February 2009
    too be fair, GI JOE was a really bad show with terrible animation

and enemies that were apparently incapable of hitting anyone at point blank range

with lasers

Casual Eddy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So guys what I hear is that big wheeled Decepticon is just PART of Devastator.

DarkPrimus on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

and enemies that were apparently incapable of hitting anyone at point blank range

with lasers

But the movie was awesome and had Sargent Slaughter punch out a giant fire breathing ant.

DanHibiki on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That big giant Gizmoduck robot has at least two wheels. The other wheel is just above the one that rolls around.

Renzo on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I could tolerate Bayformers: The Movie if the robots didn't look so horrible. It feels more like I'm watching Independence Day instead of a Transformers movie.

I'll echo those who say to lessen the screentime of the humans.

mightyspacepope on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How do you screw up a movie about giant robots fighting each other? See: Transformers.

tofu on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ravage looks neat as in the teaser spot.

There are supposed to be 40 or more 'bots in the movie. Listing those that I can think of (beware, actual spoilers based on stuff I saw on io9, etc before I realised what I was reading):
    Autobots:
    Optimus Prime
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Bumblebee
    Arcee (Motorcycle)
    Jetfire (Former Decepticon, Blackbird spy plane)
    The Twins (Icecream Truck)
    Some new sports car (as seen in trailer).

Decepticons:
    Starscream
    Barricade
    Soundwave. Spy satellite.
    Constructicons?
    Devastator.
    Ravage. Big cat.

Not making a return?:
    Jazz, Autobot. Ripped apart by Megatron.
    Megatron, Decepticon. Burned up by the Allspark.
    Bonecrusher, Decepticon. Tried to mess with Optimus Prime.
    Devastator/Brawl, Decepticon. Finished in final fight.
    Frenzy, Decepticon. Destroyed.
    Blackout, Decepticon. Finished in final fight.

So it'd seem like there will be a large number of reinforcements coming on both sides at least. Which is presumably what is shown in the scene with the carrier battle group is bombarded from space.

devoir on
  • GriffuGriffu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I loved the first Transformers. Both T2 and Gi Joe are looking pretty sweet so far. Man, I wish my childhood would be ravaged more often. I wish they'd kept more colorful costumes on the Joe members though.

Anybody know what Gizmoduck transforms from? What on Earth is that big and only has two wheels?

Griffu on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Last Son wrote: »
    I hope they at least try to give the Deceptacons some personality beyond "generic evil dudes" in this one. Hell, that mostly goes for the Autobots as well.

Ugh, they were awesome precisely because they were such archetypes. It was delightful hearing hugo weaving say the words "YOU FAILED ME YET AGAIN, STARSCREAM!"

Prohass on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FUCKYEAH

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am impressed at the number of people in this thread that remember Gizmoduck.

Anyway, Transformers was completely brainless, but surprisingly I was able to shut down my brain for that one and just watch the second half of the movie where giant transforming robots wreck shop in the big city. Really, there's not too much more you can ask for than that.

subedii on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would much rather they make a Gizmoduck movie.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    deowolf wrote: »

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    deowolf wrote: »

You sure about that?

They'd probably make him the "rookie cop who took things too far in his fight against the mob, now he's BACK, and thousands of bodies will pave a bloody road of vengeance before him.

Gizmoduck: Hell on Wheel.

Coming soon"

Either that or we can expect Howard the Duck.

subedii on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

with lasers

But the movie was awesome and had Sargent Slaughter punch out a giant fire breathing ant.
    You mean the one where Cobra turned out to be a front for an actual race of ancient underground-dwelling cobra-men trying to overthrow humanity and reclaim the surface from us?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe this one will have more action instead of cramming all the epic robot battles into the last twenty minutes.

Koolaidguy on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I could tolerate Bayformers: The Movie if the robots didn't look so horrible. It feels more like I'm watching Independence Day instead of a Transformers movie.

How is that a bad thing though

Independence Day is awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

How is that a bad thing though

Independence Day is awesome
    Well except for everything between the opening and ending credits, which sucked horribly. But yeah, the commercials before the movie began were awesome, and leaving the theatre at the end was great.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Koolaidguy wrote: »
    Maybe this one will have more action instead of cramming all the epic robot battles into the last twenty minutes.

There were like 6 fucking action sequences before that. What are you comparing it to?

Also people who dont enjoy Independence Day creep me out.

Prohass on
This discussion has been closed.