As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My dad's VCR broke, what should he replace it with?

TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
edited July 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
X

Treeloot on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you can get one with a hard drive, I'm sure that's fine. What they commonly do is use the drive to store shows so you can rewind in real time like you would with a DVR. Make no mistake though. You can't really schedule it (other than 9:30-10:30 type of thing) or get a show listing like you would with a DVR.

However, that seems like a pretty solid choice, it's quality will be much better than VCR, but don't expect DVD quality on those things when you record.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9203048#Item+Description

This is pretty cheap and Magnavox is a pretty good brand.

Does it have to have a hard drive? Would he be recording that much?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have an excellent dual channel one with my Dish subscription.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    if your dad records any premium channels, then avoid DVD recorders.... most premium channels (HBO, showtime, etc.) set the 'do not record' flag in their broadcasts which is obeyed by DVD recorders

Hard Drive based recorders don't suffer from this problem since they're considered "time shifting" rather than "place shifting" (i.e. you won't take it to someone else's house, or sell it, like you could a recorded DVD)

my dad recently went through a similar process, and found several DVD recorders to be basically useless for anything but basic cable

illig on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    illig wrote: »
    if your dad records any premium channels, then avoid DVD recorders.... most premium channels (HBO, showtime, etc.) set the 'do not record' flag in their broadcasts which is obeyed by DVD recorders

Hard Drive based recorders don't suffer from this problem since they're considered "time shifting" rather than "place shifting" (i.e. you won't take it to someone else's house, or sell it, like you could a recorded DVD)

my dad recently went through a similar process, and found several DVD recorders to be basically useless for anything but basic cable

Are these do not record signals sent out through analog broadcasts or just through digital broadcasts? My dad only gets basic cable, but he'd be really disappointed if he couldn't record anything from Turner Classic Movies.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If he already has a cable subscription, I would suggest getting a DVR through the cable company. This is what happened to my parents (their old VCR broke and my mom couldn't record her stupid soap operas anymore).

But now they have a DVR box from our local cable place and just LOVE it. They love it so much they convinced me to get one.

unilateral on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    unilateral wrote: »
    If he already has a cable subscription, I would suggest getting a DVR through the cable company. This is what happened to my parents (their old VCR broke and my mom couldn't record her stupid soap operas anymore).

But now they have a DVR box from our local cable place and just LOVE it. They love it so much they convinced me to get one.

My dad is pretty against getting a DVR from the cable company because he doesn't want to pay an extra monthly fee for one.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Has he looked into how much more it will cost? Because it will be a pittance compared to what he would gain (imho).

Improvolone on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Perhaps the best solution is just to purchase a new VCR (or used one), including several high quality tapes for future use. Manufacture of these devices was stopped sometime ago, but it is possible to find them in Pawn Shops or just buy one at ebay.

Here is a list of DVD recorders for your consideration:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Has he looked into how much more it will cost? Because it will be a pittance compared to what he would gain (imho).

This. Is like, five or ten dollars a month.

Otherwise, he might as well just get another VCR, as everything else is either unreliable, or comes with a suscription fee that will be far more expensive.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

Otherwise, he might as well just get another VCR, as everything else is either unreliable, or comes with a suscription fee that will be far more expensive.

You'd be surprised. Some people are so horribly cheap that $10 a month is a high price to pay to completely untether themselves from the TV schedule with nearly zero effort.

Personally, I think it's about the best money you'll ever spend if you watch several shows on a regular basis.

But whatever.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

You'd be surprised. Some people are so horribly cheap that $10 a month is a high price to pay to completely untether themselves from the TV schedule with nearly zero effort.

Personally, I think it's about the best money you'll ever spend if you watch several shows on a regular basis.

But whatever.

My mom went for DVR this past all and has not looked back. It is so easy to set things to record every week and have them indefinitely not to mention it beats recording over the same tape over and over again and watching the quality turn to shit.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It may not be cheapness, some people are on fixed incomes and 120 a year is a big number in that situation.

That being said, I'm not sure about the non cable box options. Maybe another VCR would be best.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If he's in a fixed income, he wouldn't be considering buying another recording device. Hell, VCR's are still relatively expensive aren't they? I mean, at least for a medium that's dead and everything.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

But whatever.

My mom went for DVR this past all and has not looked back. It is so easy to set things to record every week and have them indefinitely not to mention it beats recording over the same tape over and over again and watching the quality turn to shit.

Man, it's even better than that (but you know this). You don't even have to set the time. You find the program once in the guide, tell it to record any new (and only new) episodes that come on, and you're done. What, Lost is on at a special night and time? It's a two-hour episode? No problemo!

The only annoyance I ever had was with Showtime, who calls episodes "new" all week long...so I'd delete Dexter or Weeds after watching only to have it record the same damn episode again the next day.

And yeah, I have to agree that if you're on a fixed income it's not like standalone DVD recorders are cheap or anything.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    But they are one time payments.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    If he's in a fixed income, he wouldn't be considering buying another recording device. Hell, VCR's are still relatively expensive aren't they? I mean, at least for a medium that's dead and everything.

You can get a VCR for like, 15$.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

You can get a VCR for like, 15$.

Yeah, used ones at least are pretty cheap. Also, I think I've still seen some VHS/DVD combo players on shelves. I wouldn't be sure, though, I walk right by them and look at the Blu-Ray shit. :P

Tapes are a pain in the ass to find, but still not particularly expensive. There's still plenty of stock lying around, if you poke around online you can find some cheap. Might get harder in a few years, of course, but a used VCR might be all he needs to get through until DVR fees go away or HTPCs are cheaper.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am pretty sure that no one manufacturers new VCRs

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My boyfriend got me a VCR/DVD player at Wal-Mart about a year and a half ago. It was like $70+ though.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My boyfriend got me a VCR/DVD player at Wal-Mart about a year and a half ago. It was like $70+ though.

Yea, that's where my opinion about prices came out off. Around september I moved and can't get DVR in my place, so I started looking around and kept coming up with those prices in the big box stores.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    the best place to find new blank VCR tapes are discount stores. Usually 1$ for 6 of them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that no one manufacturers new VCRs

They make combo units, though. That's $79.99, new from amazon.

Just make sure it has a tuner...some new ones don't. I don't know if there are any with digital tuners. You can find a handful of different models of DVD/VCR combo units at any Wal-Mart or Target, ranging from about $50 to about $150.

EDIT: Correction...after looking at five different models, most new ones don't have tuners. That Phillips I linked is the only one of the five that had one.

mcdermott on