Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chat] garners literary acclaim, high fives

Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on StringRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
nfsotmeo.jpg

sundering.jpg

masterpieces, one and all

Casual Eddy on
75trafim7bi2.png

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Eddy there is no need to kick sand in someone's face when they've been beat down.
    i've decided i'm not mean enough
    Churchill was said to have remarked towards the end of his life that in his youth he had thought himself very clever, and had had many of his biting and caustic remarks quoted again and again, but that it was only in age that he found he preferred kindness to cleverness, and regretted pursuing the latter to the detriment of the former for so many years.
    Even Churchill got some things wrong, apparently. :P

edited February 2009
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Thanatos:

No, scientifically-provable generalities are fine.
    Except it's not scientifically-provable. It's possible that, when I try to put my hand in the fire, all the atoms in my hand will rearrange themselves leaving nothing there. It should happen about once in every six lifetimes of the universe, but it's not a for-sure thing. I mean, it will probably burn, but not necessarily.

Why aren't you sticking your hand in fires, then?
    You just wasted your time writing nonsense. You should jail yourself; really, it's for your own good. It's good training. It builds character. Now that I can only post every 150 seconds, I find myself crafting brilliance into everything I write. You, with no post timer, have no need to cultivate your logic or writing skills. Obviously.
    Why would I need to do that when I can get so much more joy out of getting you to waste your one post every two and a half minutes replying to bullshit I couldn't possibly care less about?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The net good of the widespread joy Churchill's caustic cleverness has wrought is actually greater than any kindness he could have done

Per3th.jpg
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wakey wakey

eggs and bakey

Are you smoking marijuana son? Only losers smoke marijuana. Losers like the President and record shattering Olympic swimmers.

tea-1.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is Drez someone who applies agnostic thought to his own life? I've been looking for you. I didn't think you existed.
    moniker wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.

Welcome to my Structures classes. You had to 'solve' the problem in order to figure out what beam to use in order to actually solve the problem and then solve it again and hope you weren't way off the first time.

Damnit what.
    Aegis wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.
    Get a TI-89.

No, I don't need a calculator to do this. This is trivial. The homework is: to factor these simple polynomials using the trial and error method. I can't not use this method. It's the homework, to learn how to use it, except I learned how to use it in class, and I don't need to do this homework, yet it's mandatory. Fuck remedial math.

I'm curious, if you get the right answer through trial and error in the first example you try...would the teacher accept it?

That's what I'm doing. I'm doing half of the work instead of writing out every possible factorial that there possibly could be. My grade for the homework probably won't be affected, and if it is, fuck it, I'm gonna get an A in this class even if I sleep through it.

• ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Help me pick a funny movie for our Wednesday Movie Night. The newer the better.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on String Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eddy there is no need to kick sand in someone's face when they've been beat down.

i've decided i'm not mean enough

Churchill was said to have remarked towards the end of his life that in his youth he had thought himself very clever, and had had many of his biting and caustic remarks quoted again and again, but that it was only in age that he found he preferred kindness to cleverness, and regretted pursuing the latter to the detriment of the former for so many years.

i think people take advantage of the fact that I am non confrontational.

i don't plan to be mean spirited for no good reason (except for just then)

75trafim7bi2.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it's Quids birthday.

steam_sig.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    The net good of the widespread joy Churchill's caustic cleverness has wrought is actually greater than any kindness he could have done

I think the point was that all those biting comments had rather innocent recipients who had been harmed by his words.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wakey wakey

eggs and bakey

Are you smoking marijuana son? Only losers smoke marijuana. Losers like the President and record shattering Olympic swimmers.

Nah I finally came to from my Nyquil cocktail that knocked me out hours ago.

RonaldoTheGypsy.png
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Tropic Thunder.

edited February 2009
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    And now a completely out of context quote from the mod forum.
    Captain K wrote:
    eating asshole since 2002

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on String Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

forgetting sarah marshall!

75trafim7bi2.png
    edited February 2009
    Tropic Thunder.

I never found that movie particularly funny as I was expecting it to be. Except for Tom Cruise looking like an idiot, that was worth it.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ugh, I know people who wake and bake...

I hate them so.

B7ozVfx.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tropic Thunder.
    Yes

edited February 2009
    My chair broke

Fatty

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember reading these two and liking them.

But I was a high school freshman at the time.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

(Didn't even know they were written by the same guy)

• CindersCinders And all the pieces matter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tropic Thunder.

I never found that movie particularly funny as I was expecting it to be. Except for Tom Cruise looking like an idiot, that was worth it.

You sir, are objectively wrong. That whole movie was hilarious.

edited February 2009
    Is Drez someone who applies agnostic thought to his own life? I've been looking for you. I didn't think you existed.

Welcome to my Structures classes. You had to 'solve' the problem in order to figure out what beam to use in order to actually solve the problem and then solve it again and hope you weren't way off the first time.

Damnit what.

The only way to get an answer for the question was to have already answered the question.

Guess at what beam you need and then, through trial and error, pare it down to the actually sensible shape and size that meets the requirements of the formula. Basically it was a big circle of the same equation (that was like a page and a half long eventually) used until you found the right answer. Gives you a lot of faith in the structure of older buildings before computers did all this for you, doesn't it?

tea-1.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos:

No, scientifically-provable generalities are fine.
    Except it's not scientifically-provable. It's possible that, when I try to put my hand in the fire, all the atoms in my hand will rearrange themselves leaving nothing there. It should happen about once in every six lifetimes of the universe, but it's not a for-sure thing. I mean, it will probably burn, but not necessarily.

Why aren't you sticking your hand in fires, then?
    You just wasted your time writing nonsense. You should jail yourself; really, it's for your own good. It's good training. It builds character. Now that I can only post every 150 seconds, I find myself crafting brilliance into everything I write. You, with no post timer, have no need to cultivate your logic or writing skills. Obviously.
    Why would I need to do that when I can get so much more joy out of getting you to waste your one post every two and a half minutes replying to bullshit I couldn't possibly care less about?
    It's cool, man. Maybe some day you'll wake up and be as cool as me. You'll have had your sixth or seventh shot of So Co and Lime or Blackhaus or whatever pussy shot you do, and you'll collapse to the floor, and I'll be sitting up, smiling, downing my 12th or 13th shot of Jack or Black, waving to all my fans as they sing "hurrah! hurrah!" in paean to me. Maybe you'll wake up from that stupor and realize how much I win just by coexisting in this universe simultaneously with you.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    My chair broke

Fatty
    Fuck you

I'm having some ice cream

Per3th.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sweet. The two girls got their bass guitars.

The lessons may now commence.

B7ozVfx.png
    edited February 2009
    My chair broke

Fatty
    Fuck you

That's right, keep eating.

• SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Damnit what.

The only way to get an answer for the question was to have already answered the question.

Guess at what beam you need and then, through trial and error, pare it down to the actually sensible shape and size that meets the requirements of the formula. Basically it was a big circle of the same equation (that was like a page and a half long eventually) used until you found the right answer. Gives you a lot of faith in the structure of older buildings before computers did all this for you, doesn't it?

I don't know. No. I don't know.

edited February 2009
    Oh Drez

No one will never be as cool as you

Per3th.jpg
  • CindersCinders And all the pieces matter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My chair broke

Fatty
    Fuck you

This seems like it will just exasperate the situation.

• ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The Big Lebowski

and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited February 2009
    Man what a pain in the ass

I liked this chair

Per3th.jpg
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tropic Thunder.
    Yes

Last week we had tropic thunder for our movie night, it was awesome.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Man says, "I think, therefore I am."

God says, "I think, therefore you are."

And Cookie Monster says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BovQyphS8kA

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Proto wrote: »

The Big Lebowski

Do not fuck with the Jesus.

tea-1.jpg
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ugh, I know people who wake and bake...

I hate them so.

I sat next to someone who wake and baked the morning of the SAT.

He did poorly.

edited February 2009
    It's "Nobody fucks with the Jesus" moniker

God damn it

Nobody fucks with the Jesus' lines

Per3th.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Proto wrote: »

The Big Lebowski

Charlie Bartlett was really good. Tropic Thunder, Knocked Up...

You might also try City of Ember. It was pretty surprisingly entertaining.

Maybe something else with Bill Murray.

edited February 2009
    Cinders wrote: »
    My chair broke

Fatty
    Fuck you

This seems like it will just exasperate the situation.

A pint of ice cream solves any problem. It's like duct tape, only delicious.

tea-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Cinders wrote: »
    My chair broke

Fatty
    Fuck you

This seems like it will just exacerbate the situation.

Damn, man. Get it right.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tropic Thunder.

Agreed. Put me to sleep on a plane flight. It didn't help that I had watched Hancock just beforehand... another relentlessly sub par comedy/action film from this past year.

This discussion has been closed.