Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chat] garners literary acclaim, high fives

Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on StringRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
nfsotmeo.jpg

sundering.jpg

masterpieces, one and all

Casual Eddy on
75trafim7bi2.png
«13456749

Posts

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos:

    No, scientifically-provable generalities are fine.
    Except it's not scientifically-provable. It's possible that, when I try to put my hand in the fire, all the atoms in my hand will rearrange themselves leaving nothing there. It should happen about once in every six lifetimes of the universe, but it's not a for-sure thing. I mean, it will probably burn, but not necessarily.

    Why aren't you sticking your hand in fires, then?

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't even know who Knaak is. To be frank, I don't read any of this fantasy/sci-fi shit. It's probably all awful.

    Not really, just most of it.

    tea-1.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.
    Oh did you not get the number processing chip installed in your brain

    Well, you'll just have to deal

    Per3th.jpg
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.
    Get a TI-89.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Strange Days is such a weird movie. $3/gallon gas as a sign the US is fucked in 1999 and a SQUID's that record memories from your brain.

    You know, I just rewatched this a few days ago and have been meaning to post about it. One of my favorite films. It's so good, and acted so well. I don't mean to sound gay here but Ralph Fiennes was excellent in the film, really gave you a good sense of hopeless romantic, fearful kind of dude.

    steam_sig.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Why aren't you sticking your hand in fires, then?

    Court order.

    tea-1.jpg
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy I'm crying... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wakey wakey

    eggs and bakey

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Eddy there is no need to kick sand in someone's face when they've been beat down.

    i've decided i'm not mean enough


    Churchill was said to have remarked towards the end of his life that in his youth he had thought himself very clever, and had had many of his biting and caustic remarks quoted again and again, but that it was only in age that he found he preferred kindness to cleverness, and regretted pursuing the latter to the detriment of the former for so many years.

  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.
    Get a TI-89.

    No, I don't need a calculator to do this. This is trivial. The homework is: to factor these simple polynomials using the trial and error method. I can't not use this method. It's the homework, to learn how to use it, except I learned how to use it in class, and I don't need to do this homework, yet it's mandatory. Fuck remedial math.

  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.

    Welcome to my Structures classes. You had to 'solve' the problem in order to figure out what beam to use in order to actually solve the problem and then solve it again and hope you weren't way off the first time. What's that, do the same maths 5 times in order to answer a question that an engineering program will do in 4 seconds? Why yes, I don't have anything better to do on a Thursday night.

    tea-1.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on String Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't even know who Knaak is. To be frank, I don't read any of this fantasy/sci-fi shit. It's probably all awful.

    only you drez

    75trafim7bi2.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos:

    No, scientifically-provable generalities are fine.
    Except it's not scientifically-provable. It's possible that, when I try to put my hand in the fire, all the atoms in my hand will rearrange themselves leaving nothing there. It should happen about once in every six lifetimes of the universe, but it's not a for-sure thing. I mean, it will probably burn, but not necessarily.

    Why aren't you sticking your hand in fires, then?

    You just wasted your time writing nonsense. You should jail yourself; really, it's for your own good. It's good training. It builds character. Now that I can only post every 150 seconds, I find myself crafting brilliance into everything I write. You, with no post timer, have no need to cultivate your logic or writing skills. Obviously.

    steam_sig.png
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.
    Get a TI-89.

    No, I don't need a calculator to do this. This is trivial. The homework is: to factor these simple polynomials using the trial and error method. I can't not use this method. It's the homework, to learn how to use it, except I learned how to use it in class, and I don't need to do this homework, yet it's mandatory. Fuck remedial math.

    I'm curious, if you get the right answer through trial and error in the first example you try...would the teacher accept it?

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Eddy there is no need to kick sand in someone's face when they've been beat down.
    i've decided i'm not mean enough
    Churchill was said to have remarked towards the end of his life that in his youth he had thought himself very clever, and had had many of his biting and caustic remarks quoted again and again, but that it was only in age that he found he preferred kindness to cleverness, and regretted pursuing the latter to the detriment of the former for so many years.
    Even Churchill got some things wrong, apparently. :P

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos:

    No, scientifically-provable generalities are fine.
    Except it's not scientifically-provable. It's possible that, when I try to put my hand in the fire, all the atoms in my hand will rearrange themselves leaving nothing there. It should happen about once in every six lifetimes of the universe, but it's not a for-sure thing. I mean, it will probably burn, but not necessarily.

    Why aren't you sticking your hand in fires, then?
    You just wasted your time writing nonsense. You should jail yourself; really, it's for your own good. It's good training. It builds character. Now that I can only post every 150 seconds, I find myself crafting brilliance into everything I write. You, with no post timer, have no need to cultivate your logic or writing skills. Obviously.
    Why would I need to do that when I can get so much more joy out of getting you to waste your one post every two and a half minutes replying to bullshit I couldn't possibly care less about?

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The net good of the widespread joy Churchill's caustic cleverness has wrought is actually greater than any kindness he could have done

    Per3th.jpg
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wakey wakey

    eggs and bakey

    Are you smoking marijuana son? Only losers smoke marijuana. Losers like the President and record shattering Olympic swimmers.

    tea-1.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is Drez someone who applies agnostic thought to his own life? I've been looking for you. I didn't think you existed.
    moniker wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.

    Welcome to my Structures classes. You had to 'solve' the problem in order to figure out what beam to use in order to actually solve the problem and then solve it again and hope you weren't way off the first time.

    Damnit what.
    Aegis wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.
    Get a TI-89.

    No, I don't need a calculator to do this. This is trivial. The homework is: to factor these simple polynomials using the trial and error method. I can't not use this method. It's the homework, to learn how to use it, except I learned how to use it in class, and I don't need to do this homework, yet it's mandatory. Fuck remedial math.

    I'm curious, if you get the right answer through trial and error in the first example you try...would the teacher accept it?

    That's what I'm doing. I'm doing half of the work instead of writing out every possible factorial that there possibly could be. My grade for the homework probably won't be affected, and if it is, fuck it, I'm gonna get an A in this class even if I sleep through it.

  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Help me pick a funny movie for our Wednesday Movie Night. The newer the better.

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on String Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Eddy there is no need to kick sand in someone's face when they've been beat down.

    i've decided i'm not mean enough


    Churchill was said to have remarked towards the end of his life that in his youth he had thought himself very clever, and had had many of his biting and caustic remarks quoted again and again, but that it was only in age that he found he preferred kindness to cleverness, and regretted pursuing the latter to the detriment of the former for so many years.

    i think people take advantage of the fact that I am non confrontational.

    i don't plan to be mean spirited for no good reason (except for just then)

    75trafim7bi2.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it's Quids birthday.

    steam_sig.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    The net good of the widespread joy Churchill's caustic cleverness has wrought is actually greater than any kindness he could have done


    I think the point was that all those biting comments had rather innocent recipients who had been harmed by his words.

  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy I'm crying... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    wakey wakey

    eggs and bakey

    Are you smoking marijuana son? Only losers smoke marijuana. Losers like the President and record shattering Olympic swimmers.

    Nah I finally came to from my Nyquil cocktail that knocked me out hours ago.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Help me pick a funny movie for our Wednesday Movie Night. The newer the better.
    Tropic Thunder.

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    And now a completely out of context quote from the mod forum.
    Captain K wrote:
    eating asshole since 2002

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on String Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Help me pick a funny movie for our Wednesday Movie Night. The newer the better.

    forgetting sarah marshall!

    75trafim7bi2.png
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Help me pick a funny movie for our Wednesday Movie Night. The newer the better.
    Tropic Thunder.

    I never found that movie particularly funny as I was expecting it to be. Except for Tom Cruise looking like an idiot, that was worth it.

  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ugh, I know people who wake and bake...

    I hate them so.

    B7ozVfx.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Help me pick a funny movie for our Wednesday Movie Night. The newer the better.
    Tropic Thunder.
    Yes

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember reading these two and liking them.

    But I was a high school freshman at the time.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

    (Didn't even know they were written by the same guy)

  • CindersCinders And all the pieces matter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Help me pick a funny movie for our Wednesday Movie Night. The newer the better.
    Tropic Thunder.

    I never found that movie particularly funny as I was expecting it to be. Except for Tom Cruise looking like an idiot, that was worth it.

    You sir, are objectively wrong. That whole movie was hilarious.

  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Is Drez someone who applies agnostic thought to his own life? I've been looking for you. I didn't think you existed.
    moniker wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.

    Welcome to my Structures classes. You had to 'solve' the problem in order to figure out what beam to use in order to actually solve the problem and then solve it again and hope you weren't way off the first time.

    Damnit what.

    The only way to get an answer for the question was to have already answered the question.

    Guess at what beam you need and then, through trial and error, pare it down to the actually sensible shape and size that meets the requirements of the formula. Basically it was a big circle of the same equation (that was like a page and a half long eventually) used until you found the right answer. Gives you a lot of faith in the structure of older buildings before computers did all this for you, doesn't it?

    tea-1.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos:

    No, scientifically-provable generalities are fine.
    Except it's not scientifically-provable. It's possible that, when I try to put my hand in the fire, all the atoms in my hand will rearrange themselves leaving nothing there. It should happen about once in every six lifetimes of the universe, but it's not a for-sure thing. I mean, it will probably burn, but not necessarily.

    Why aren't you sticking your hand in fires, then?
    You just wasted your time writing nonsense. You should jail yourself; really, it's for your own good. It's good training. It builds character. Now that I can only post every 150 seconds, I find myself crafting brilliance into everything I write. You, with no post timer, have no need to cultivate your logic or writing skills. Obviously.
    Why would I need to do that when I can get so much more joy out of getting you to waste your one post every two and a half minutes replying to bullshit I couldn't possibly care less about?
    It's cool, man. Maybe some day you'll wake up and be as cool as me. You'll have had your sixth or seventh shot of So Co and Lime or Blackhaus or whatever pussy shot you do, and you'll collapse to the floor, and I'll be sitting up, smiling, downing my 12th or 13th shot of Jack or Black, waving to all my fans as they sing "hurrah! hurrah!" in paean to me. Maybe you'll wake up from that stupor and realize how much I win just by coexisting in this universe simultaneously with you.

    steam_sig.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    My chair broke

    Fatty
    Fuck you

    I'm having some ice cream

    Per3th.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sweet. The two girls got their bass guitars.

    The lessons may now commence.

    B7ozVfx.png
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    My chair broke

    Fatty
    Fuck you

    I'm having some ice cream

    That's right, keep eating.

«13456749
This discussion has been closed.