As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Housemates and things

Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am currently in my first year of university, and staying in a Halls of residence. That means that next year I shall have to move into private accomadation next year. And that there is the problem.

I am currently unsure of what to do on the flatmate front, whilst I have a good group of friends, they are all already moving in with people from their course, or who they are already in a flat with.

I do have a friend who I knew 2 years ago, more as a friend of a friend, but we got along pretty well, before he moved away for those 2 years. Remet him in the summer, when his family moved back, and it turned out we were both heading for the same university, with similar courses.

Couple of weeks ago when I realised that my friends were moving into different flats, I asked him about housing etc. and it turns out he is also looking for potential flatmates. We decidd to look for a flat together, plus a person from his course. This set-up I was happy with.

He starts looking, then informs me it's now going to be a 6-person flat, with four people I have never met before. I only met the other 5 on the evening of the first flat viewing. They seem alright people, but I am apprensive of living in a flat of 6, with equal responsibilty for bills. To top it off my friend seems keen on going for this first flat we've seen(and the only one) which I feel is a bit of rash decision.

I currently have no idea of what to do, and was hoping for some help!

Anarchy Rules! on

• SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    - Is the flat in decent nick?
    - Is it a good size?
    - Is the rent affordable?
    - Is it close to the university / near good transport to uni?
    - Is it close to the night life?

If the answer to most of the above is Yes, then fuck it, go for it.

Sort out how the rent and utilities get paid in advance with the guys and you should be fine.

Spam on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I completely understand your apprehension. I'd be very hesitant about that change of plans, as well. If I were you, I'd politely but firmly pull out of the situation, explaining that you're not comfortable living with that large of a group.

However, don't think you need to live with a friend to have a good housemate. My best-ever housemate experience was with two friends-of-a-friend that I met for a couple hours before we moved in together. We were successful roommates because we were very honest ahead of time about our living preferences and expected house rules. My worst-ever roommate experience was with a good friend, because we just assumed that we'd live together really well, and it turned out we were horribly matched as housemates.

If your current situation doesn't work out, I recommend putting up a notice, taking an ad out in the student run paper, whatever works at your university. Carefully and honestly spell out what you're looking for in terms of a flatmate, and also ask your friends if they know any good potential roommates for you. Having a housemate who is responsible about the bills and who has similar cleanliness/noise preferences to you is really the way to go (y'know, as long as they're also reasonably friendly and non-creepy), whether you're friends or not.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When I was in college, I lived in a house of 8 for two years.

A few things to consider:

Does it bother you when other people eat your food?
    Does it you bother when people don't clean up their own mess?
    Does it you bother when someone obviously isn't doing their share of chores around the house?

Now, I'm not saying these things happen so frequently that it's unlivable, but as the amount of people increase, each individual person's responsibility decreases. It's a lot easier to blame a mess or a stolen chicken breast on somebody else when there are 6 other (And potentially more with S/Os) possible culprits.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade those last two years for anything, but I will admit that if you are not easy going, it could be quite the experience.

unilateral on
  • PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Almost every time I've went to view a flat I got good vibes about the first one and then wanted to snap it up. Luckily every time I went looking elsewhere and ended up with cheaper and nicer accomodation. So while you may be lucky and get a great deal on your first place, I'd say look at maybe 3 or 4 other places if you can. This will be tricky getting 5 other people to agree on a budget/location/flat so good luck with that.

I stayed with 4 others in first year (student accomodation) and we had a pretty big place with 2 toilets (1 shower) though it did get a bit hellish at dinner time with everyone trying to cook. Is the place you're looking at big enough for all of you? Do people want to store bikes? Do any of them do art (they may need room to work on their uni stuff)

To be honest you might have more luck putting out a facebook message or 'event' or group to advertise that you're looking for 1 or 2 flatmates. The chances of getting along with these 5 other people are very slim, especially if they're in a similar situation and can't find other roommates, it might be that no one wants them!

Does the guy you know know these people? He might have decided he wants to stay with these people and has given you the choice because he's already said that he'll stay with you. I don't think you'll find many nice 6 bedroom flats.

One golden piece of advice, if you encounter a letting agency called Grant Management (they might be Scotland only) do NOT have anything to do with them. They are the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Ponge on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm in 2nd year of university, and wouldn't you know it, in first year I got invited by a friend of live with her...and four of her friends who i had never met before.

I am typing this from the house we have as we speak. It worked out great.

In all honesty I'm moving out into my own apartment next year (hopefully), but this isn't due to the others, I just like having my own bachelor pad. Unless you're dead set on having a smaller, closer flat with just your friend, or maybe one other, go for it, because as much as you should be sure you're ready for such a thing it is quite possible you will not get another good invitation like this.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg