As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lego Battles: All the awesome and none of the license!

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuck yes. Forget the LEGO'd franchise stuff, just give us LEGO stuff.

All I need now is a Lego 4X game and I can die a happy man.

Sorenson on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What, no Old West love? Shady.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, it seems like there's finally good shit coming out in the summer this year.

KalTorak on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now you've gone and made me redownload the LEGO Digital Designer..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I want gameplay footage

And space ninja

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If we actually get to build Lego things, like, from scratch (Virtual box of Legos, as was suggested) this will eat away at my life and sanity.

If versions are released for the whole line-up, PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP, I will probably buy a copy for each system I own if they are Virtual Boxes of Legos. (Or at least the DS) Hopefully it won't be like, "Oh, here's a premade Lego thing. Put it next to this other premade Lego thing, etc" because I'm too excited for the idea already.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    If we actually get to build Lego things, like, from scratch (Virtual box of Legos, as was suggested) this will eat away at my life and sanity.

I get the feeling we won't...

Egos on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Released pictures fail to give representation to the Space sets. Wheres the love for Blacktron and Futuron?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Old (red visor) Space Police were awesome. Green Space Police were pretty badass too. All busting those Blacktron punks and being to afraid to go anywhere near Unitron.

Einhander on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blacktron looks alot cooler than Blacktron II
    blacktron.png
    blacktron2.png

Egos on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This thread reminds me how uncreative I was. I always just stuck to the instructions when it came to Lego. Perhaps I could redeem myself with this game.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Released pictures fail to give representation to the Space sets. Wheres the love for Blacktron and Futuron?

They are so old I doubt they would be included. This is for recent lines going by the pics.

They are coming out with new Space Police sets, though, so there's hope:

Link to Space Police Pics

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dritz wrote: »
    This thread reminds me how uncreative I was. I always just stuck to the instructions when it came to Lego. Perhaps I could redeem myself with this game.

Haha, I never managed to build anything according to plan.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd always follow the instructions the first time, but then I'd lose them and after whatever I build would fall apart I'd just build whatever.

SirUltimos on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I built my own stuff, but they were strictly segregated by time period. Knights, Pirates, and Space didn't mix.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I need to go out and buy some LEGO.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I built my own stuff, but they were strictly segregated by time period. Knights, Pirates, and Space didn't mix.
    You were doing it wrong.
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/149353/lego_pyramid/

Couscous on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Goddamn new Lego sets have too many unique pieces.

Also, everything I built turned into a space ship. Or a robot. I'm pretty sure I still have everything somewhere back home.

I want to play with Legos now
    In before Lego(s) argument

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    edited February 2009

Also, everything I built turned into a space ship. Or a robot. I'm pretty sure I still have everything somewhere back home.

I want to play with Legos now
    In before Lego(s) argument

I know, and the set I would likely want to start with (King's Castle Siege) is $100! Ouch.. I love the medieval stuff.

I need to get off the LEGO site....

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I loved the knights stuff, too. I watched movies like Ladyhawke and the Kevin Costner Robin Hood alot when I was a kid.

I had a small army of the black dragon knights with the long shields and movable visors, supported by men at arms with fucking huge halberds.

Legos were the shit.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuck. Another game I have to buy this year. That makes about 8 so far, and it's FEBRUARY.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Supposedly this is a myth:

http://gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego
    • I would like to know why they are using so many specialized pieces in their sets now instead of using more "basic" bricks that allow for greater building outside the set the pieces came in. Why have Lego sets for the latest few generations been dummied down?

This is an impression that many people have but, in fact, the piece count has been reduced drastically and there's a move back to roots in Lego, not only for creativity but to save money. Lego went from 12,000 different pieces to 6,800 in the last few years—a number that includes the color variations.

I assume he means overall, though, as the Bionicle line in particular still seems to be rife with hyper-specialized pieces.

On a separate note, I saw a Lego store for the first time a few weeks ago, and it was pretty cool. If anything, I think the kits are a much better deal now, especially at the low end. There were some astonishingly crap 15-20 pieces kits that retailed for $5-8 back in the day.

Orogogus on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bionicle are basically action figures, so lots of unique pieces makes sense.

I really, REALLY hope base building is detailed and not "Wall wall wall door DONE".

BlueDestiny on
  • Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Oh god, thank you for remembering the names of the old sets. Looking that all up and I'm getting crushed under the weight of my childhood.

Ice Planet, M:Tron, and Spyrius were THE SHIT.

One more reason to get a DS, I guess.

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Baka_Shade wrote: »

Oh god, thank you for remembering the names of the old sets. Looking that all up and I'm getting crushed under the weight of my childhood.

Ice Planet, M:Tron, and Spyrius were THE SHIT.

One more reason to get a DS, I guess.

Yeah, I never had much Futuron or Blacktron 1 though, only what I could find on store shelves still a couple years after they had stopped selling them. But Blacktron II, M-Tron, Space Police, Ice Planet 2002, Spyrius, Exploriens, Roboforce, UFO. I loved the space sets. Though I had to look up the names for some of them, I couldn't remember them but I notice from pictures at some point they stopped putting the names of the series on the front of the box on every set.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, Spyrius was awesome, but I was more partial to aquanauts and castle stuff. Someday...

6090-1.jpg

It will be mine.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I think I have that castle, or one very similar.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I made elaborate mock Super Mario World levels and lego Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi's to run through them.

I was such a nerd.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    I made elaborate mock Super Mario World levels and lego Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi's to run through them.

I was such a nerd.

I made a very bad replica of the theater ship from Final Fantasy IX complete with Zidane and company mini-figures.

Do I win?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had that set! The Space Lego were always the best though, because CLEAR PIECES ARE AWESOME! :lol:

Squirrel Rancher on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If it's a proper virtual construction set and not just another generic platformer, consider me as interested as others.

Also, ninjas is not a word.

Xagarath on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This has the potential to be very fun. At least it's something different than Lego Franchise X platformer, even though I enjoy those sometimes (what can I say, it's a guilty pleasure).

And when I was a kid, my greatest Lego accomplishment was to build a mini-fig scale VOLTRON. Sure, the green lion had to be white because I didn't actually have any green blocks, which sucked big time, but you do what you can with what you've got. But they could actually combine and it even had the sword. Took me an entire day, but the sucker was like two feet tall. God, I wish I had some pics of it.

I also built a shitton of space ships, castles, and, for some reason, houses. Always wanted the big castle sets, but I've never owned one. Someday, baby, someday. I've bought a few sets over the last few years, though. The most expensive were the Star Destroyer ($100, and kind of disappointing since the bottom is so poorly designed it falls apart, so you can't move it) and the Collector's Series Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, which was $80 on sale and worth every penny (seriously, it's awesome).

Back OT... if this is even halfway decent, this is pretty much going to use up all my free time this summer.

Norfair on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am far too uncreative with my legos.

No I did not use the past tense. Stop playing with legos? The fuck are you talking about, nutjob?

yalborap on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, if you could use the building designer from Spore but with lego in this it would be awesome. Can't wait for more actual details about this game. I am excited as hell. I loved my old lego kits, I had boxes full of the shit. Glad to hear the new lego is going back to it's roots and away from the shitty unique pieces rubbish of the last few years.

Lly on
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is basically my childhood with Lego, in videogame form.

I will own this game.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    Also, I am hoping that they bring back all of the old factions that don't seem to exist anymore. Stuff like the old Black Knights, Wolfpack, and Majesto. I loved Castle Legos when I was a kid. Little dragons with the hole in their mouth where you could mount the fire piece, little brown bows and arrows for my forest dudes, glow in the dark ghosts.

The ghosts glow in the dark? This kind of ghost?
    6034.jpg
    I had absolutely no idea.

Peewi on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember my super-badass knight - all black armor, black visor helmet, cape, big shield, big halberd, riding a motherfucking DRAGON that breathed fire AND had a halberd in each hand.

I got a little carried away.

KalTorak on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I used to play this game irl, we would build bases and make rules and such and then when we would finally start the fight it was 6 o clock and time to eat, so we had to clean up everything and my friends had to go home, Maybe now I will finally be able to prove the superiority of fort SCIENCE!

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    Also, I am hoping that they bring back all of the old factions that don't seem to exist anymore. Stuff like the old Black Knights, Wolfpack, and Majesto. I loved Castle Legos when I was a kid. Little dragons with the hole in their mouth where you could mount the fire piece, little brown bows and arrows for my forest dudes, glow in the dark ghosts.

The ghosts glow in the dark? This kind of ghost?
    6034.jpg
    I had absolutely no idea.

Hey man I had that!

Yeah, he glowed in the dark.

This better come to 360 in some form. I love me old school LEGO.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, man. If this was like a virtual lego set, that would be amazing. Being too old for legos is bad.

Luckily, DF fills this void a little.
    Also a DF lego set would be the best. Complete with baby stealing goblins.

Xtarath on