As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2009: whatever

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hello! And welcome to the MLB 2009 thread, in which we discuss:

-Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids
-Manny hasn't signed yet, because he wants to much money
-Pedro hasn't signed yet, because he is old and can't stay healthy
-Dunn hasn't signed yet, because he is a jerk
-Predictions for the upcoming year
-And anything else you want to talk about

But seriously, A-Rod on roids? Hilarious!

fantasy details:
PM zeeny to join the fantasy league

deadonthestreet on

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't state it like it's a fact. 2003 testing was done anonymously. There's no proof beyond the word of four people who aren't even willing to give their names.

Anyway, I'd be down for fantasy baseball. Its not my strongest sport, but I'm bound to do better than I did during football season.

Goose! on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Don't state it like it's a fact. 2003 testing was done anonymously. There's no proof beyond the word of four people who aren't even willing to give their names.

The proof exists because of the BALCO/Bonds investigation, where samples were linked to player names. While its conceivable someone made this up, the fact that at least four sources have confirmed this to both SI and ESPN just when the evidence is being really worked on at Bonds goes to trial make a lot of sense.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm super excited for one of the most glorious phrases in any language: pitchers and catcher report February 14th. The day of love, indeed!

As much as the new MLB Network has helped to tide the depression, I'm glad that real, live baseball is finally coming. Even though the Diamondbacks are probably going to be not good this year, I don't care. Fucking baseball.

And about A-Rod, well, if it's true, it sucks. I can't wait until this whole steroid debacle is just a memory.

thanimations on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

The proof exists because of the BALCO/Bonds investigation, where samples were linked to player names. While its conceivable someone made this up, the fact that at least four sources have confirmed this to both SI and ESPN just when the evidence is being really worked on at Bonds goes to trial make a lot of sense.

Four anonymous sources. Hiding their identites doesn't invalidate their story, but it makes it suspect. You got guys like Radomski and McNamee with their names out there providing evidence and stories to go with it (at least in McNamee's case). Its just fishy to me.

Altogether, I wish they'd end the whole steroid witch hunt and just accept that it was part of the game of baseball for a period and that period has passed.

Goose! on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    soooooooooo souped for the season. This is as long as I ever remember having to wait for a season. Normally I just forget about it and then bam, time for baseball, but it's not working this year.

Yankee fan here, figure that's worth mentioning, invite you all to mention your teams too because I don't recall from last year, makes the discussion rather more interesting.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm a Diamondbacks fan first, and White Sox second, for what that's worth. There's really only a few teams, though, that I actively don't like.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm a Diamondbacks fan first, and White Sox second, for what that's worth.
    Yeah, this probably isn't going to be a good year for you.

As an Arizona fan, you're pretty familiar with Randy Johnson. He says that he is back big this year and is going to pitch well for the Giants. You believe him?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ready to watch the Jays suck it up for yet another season.

elevature on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rays fan here. Also, I'll run the fantasy league.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yea I had a lot of high hopes this year for the jays, but losing barnett due to a good year with no injuries really sucks and going to the Yankees of all teams. Still i'm kinda looking forward to Jansen stepping it up this year and the general bullpen in general. I just fear our hitting is gonna bottom out again this year when it matters. The players and talent should be there, it just seems like guys like rios and wells with thier half to 3/4 of a season slump are becoming all to prominent.

:(

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yea I had a lot of high hopes this year for the jays, but losing barnett due to a good year with no injuries really sucks and going to the Yankees of all teams. Still i'm kinda looking forward to Jansen stepping it up this year and the general bullpen in general. I just fear our hitting is gonna bottom out again this year when it matters. The players and talent should be there, it just seems like guys like rios and wells with thier half to 3/4 of a season slump are becoming all to prominent.

It's funny that pitching was our problem for a long time, and now that the young guys are stepping up and the rotation is probably the best it's been in a long time, the hitting is shit. We can never have both.

I feel bad for Halliday. He'll never win a World Series here and deserves to be on a good team but at the same time if he ever leaves we're really fucked.

elevature on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm a Diamondbacks fan first, and White Sox second, for what that's worth. There's really only a few teams, though, that I actively don't like.

I'm a lifelong White Sox fan, who occasionally roots for the Diamondbacks as they often seem to have more players I like than any other NL team.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

you want a tissue to wipe your tears?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm a Diamondbacks fan first, and White Sox second, for what that's worth.
    Yeah, this probably isn't going to be a good year for you.

As an Arizona fan, you're pretty familiar with Randy Johnson. He says that he is back big this year and is going to pitch well for the Giants. You believe him?

Well, it's baseball so I can't complain too much.

Johnson probably knows more about his condition than anyone, but it would have been stupid for the Diamondbacks to commit money on the good chance he has limited time this year. He doesn't add anything to the Giants; if you could probably win the money pool for "When will Randy first lose 1-0 with the Giants?" if you pick within his first five starts.
    Ketar wrote: »

I'm a lifelong White Sox fan, who occasionally roots for the Diamondbacks as they often seem to have more players I like than any other NL team.

Right on! Besides, we have Chris Young (well, and Jon Garland, now) and you guys Carlos Quentin, so the two teams are like a foreign exchange program.

thanimations on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i was really hopeful when Pujols had mentioned Manny in some sort of interview or something a couple of weeks ago that he really liked him that the Cards would actually make a move, but it looks like a another year of hoping someone comes up from the minors to give us a bit of a boost.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Go Mariners. Sigh.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Go Mariners. Sigh.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't doubt that A Rod's tests are probably real. however they were likely leaked because everyone hates the guy.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the record:
    redsox3aj9.jpg
    I don't doubt that A Rod's tests are probably real. however they were likely leaked because everyone hates the guy.

Well, that and he's probably the biggest name on the list other than arguably Bonds. People don't really care about middle relievers using steroids because they don't matter that much to the integrity of the game or the integrity of the history of the game.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm in for Fantasy Baseball.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Down for fantasy baseball, need to redeem myself after losing in the finals last year :)

JeffH on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Up for fantasy.
    I hate h2h baseball....

zeeny on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I hate everything the Sox have done for moves. I really do.

But hey, they're pros for a reason. Hopefully they get it right.
    PS: Jason Bay sucks.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TheBigDaddyDowdTheBigDaddyDowd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope the Yankees pitching comes through this year. And I hope A-hole falls into Madonnas gaping vagina never to be seen of again. I'd also be down for some fantasy baseball.

TheBigDaddyDowd on
    TheBigDaddyDowd.png
    AC City folk=2965-2082-7154
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH8tiABNl2w&feature=related

That said, kinda worried about the Milton Bradley signing. Cubs haven't been a high-chemistry team the past few years and Bradley could set people off.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have already sacrificed five goats at the altar of the baseball gods in hopes that Phil Hughes turns into a serious pitcher this year.

DO YOU HEAR ME, BASEBALL GODS?! FIVE FREAKIN' GOATS

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would like to join the fantasy baseball when it gets set up.

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH8tiABNl2w&feature=related

That said, kinda worried about the Milton Bradley signing. Cubs haven't been a high-chemistry team the past few years and Bradley could set people off.

If there's anything to worry about, it's Bradley getting hurt. I don't think he's bad for the clubhouse. Has he ever had an issue with a teammate? There's Jeff Kent, but I don't think that counts.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It may not be over yet, but it sure feels like another off-season of Cards management promising they're going to make some big moves, remaining just enough in the hunt for a few big names to say they did as promised, and then entering spring training with holes in the rotation, bullpen, and a questionable line-up. Which means Tony will get them all to over-perform, they'll be kinda/sorta in contention so won't bother with a big trade during the season, then fall apart in August/September. That's my prediction for the St. Louis Cardinals, however we won a title just 3 years ago so I can't complain.

At least I do have one thing to look forward to, and that is of course finding out how the Cubs will fail to win another world series. I wonder if they'll be the clear front-runners again this season, or if they'll fall into scrappy under-dog status. Will it be swept in the first round, or heart-breaking game 7 loss in the NLCS? Will fault lie with players/coaches or with some mystical outside source? So many questions....I can't wait!

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey. Hey.

We're really gonna do it this time.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey. Hey.

We're really gonna do it this time.

Mmmhmm. *conciliatory pats on the back*

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We got the power and we got the speed to be the best in the National League. Did the song not tell you that?

Gosling on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That said, kinda worried about the Milton Bradley signing

220 AB's per year in the NL. Braindead Cubs all around.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yup, that's how I know it's almost baseball time. The changing seasons, the smell of hot dogs on the grill, and Cubbie nation has talked themselves into it all over again.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited February 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9F8lhtkD7Q

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's official - A-Roid juiced. Front page on ESPN, Alex tells all to Peter Gammons.

He should thank Barry Bonds for showing him what NOT to do when facing steroid accusations.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »
    It's official - A-Roid juiced. Front page on ESPN, Alex tells all to Peter Gammons.

He should thank Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire for showing him what NOT to do when facing steroid accusations.

fix'd

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Admitting his mistake and apologizing is the best possible way to handle this. We saw it with Pettite and Giambi. Being defiant, a la Bonds, McGuire and Clemens only further enhances the hate.

But a couple questions are raised from this.

- When did he stop? Looking at his numbers, the first season in NY was a drop off in production in every category but Stolen Bases, but then things jump up again in 2005, drop again in '06, up in '07 and back down in '08. So what's up with that?

- Johnny Oates, Jerry Narron and Buck Showalter were his 3 mangars for those 3 years. How much do they know?

- What about the Rangers GM at the time?

- How many other Rangers players were on them?

There's a whole host of questions here.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    His numbers were higher in Texas partially because of the ballpark

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He said he used them for three years. I have some admiration for him because of this, he didn't say, "I only used them once or twice.", but actually admitted to full on use. And some might criticize him for only coming out once he was caught, but then again, I don't think a single player has come out and said, "I'm guilty of using performance enhancing drugs."

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
This discussion has been closed.