Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The New Sonic Thread for Bitchin' and Reminiscin'

12346»

Posts

  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Whereas I like the Genesis games and Rush Adventure, and that's mostly it.
    This one just seems faintly more promising for reasons posted before.

  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Anything post SA2 has been shit. Varying degrees of shit, but still shit. I include the Advance games and I don't even think Rush is that good either to be honest. Nothing has ever matched up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 2 or Sonic Adventure 1.

    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User
    edited March 2009
    plufim wrote: »
    And of course the issue of game length goes out the window.
    Except that length is never raised as a complaint in this particular review. It is only mentioned in the "lasting appeal" blurb at the end, and only to the effect that he wouldn't want to play any more levels anyway.
    The blurb is part of the review, though, it's not some wholely seperate entity.
    Read the bolded part again.

    You said that game length was "one of IGN's two big complaints" about this game. You are wrong. Matt never once complains about game length, not even in the blurb in question.

    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anything post SA2 has been shit. Varying degrees of shit, but still shit. I include the Advance games and I don't even think Rush is that good either to be honest. Nothing has ever matched up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 2 or Sonic Adventure 1.

    Have you played Rush Adventure?

  • epictunaepictuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I find it simply breathtaking that Sega is incapable of making for us just simply what we've always wanted out of a Sonic game. Just give us Sonic with loads of content. That's all! You don't have to give him a varying array of new abilities just because you have dozens of buttons on the controller to use. You don't have to throw together some convoluted story. Just have us fight Robotnik's armies until we can't feel our thumbs anymore, just like the old days, and we'll be happy.

    FACT: I'm more compelled to throw in my old school Sonic games than I often am to play my 360. There's something glorious about mindlessly zipping through race-track worlds where you DIE if you drop all your rings... Is it nostalgia? No, no it's not. It's GAMEPLAY. It's what my brain wants.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Was anyone actually really looking forward to Sonic and the Black Knight?

    It seems like it's not even worth digging up the Sonic Cycle jpeg anymore.

    Considering that Secret Rings is one of my favorite games I'm looking foreword to it.

    Spoiler:
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Anything post SA2 has been shit. Varying degrees of shit, but still shit. I include the Advance games and I don't even think Rush is that good either to be honest. Nothing has ever matched up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 2 or Sonic Adventure 1.

    Have you played Rush Adventure?

    Yes. Similar to Rush really so I feel the same way about it in that it's good not great, it's no "New Super Mario Bros" to the old Sonic games. Whats more Rush Adventure is dogged by some fucking terrible design decisions - forcing you to replay levels to get parts, the stupid minigame to travel from level to level etc etc.

    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Real ending get!

    Sonic's super form is both ridiculous and awesome.

    I ran into some aggravating stuff toward the end involving collapsing bridges; the hit detection on the bridges goes well before it looks like the bridge is out, and if you do a jump with an air dash (like I did), you are absolutely not going to be able to actually land on the platform. This is something that's plagued the 3D Sonics: the levels are designed to be cleared one specific way, and if you don't go with that flow you're going to die repeatedly. Fortunately, SatBK gives you unlimited do-overs (you just lose ranking points and however much time), but for a less patient player it could a controller-throwing experience.

    You get three supporting characters later in the game with their own play-styles, but you never have to use them. If you want to (and I did!), you can just take Sonic the whole way through and never touch them.

    I never really got into the flow of combat. There are so many enemies late in the game that it's more efficient just to jump on them and attack from the air. But hey, that's more the classic Sonic style so maybe it's for the best.

    Guarding is pretty much totally busted. If you guard next to more than one enemy, you're just delaying the inevitable; they all throw out so many attacks that as soon as you let up, you get hit. It's a bit frustrating, but like I said above it's easy enough to do your jumping attack and kill everything. If you're guarding, you've already screwed up enough to deserve the hit.

  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How's the endgame? Is there anything like SatSR's gold medal level clearing?

  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kupi wrote: »
    Guarding is pretty much totally busted. If you guard next to more than one enemy, you're just delaying the inevitable; they all throw out so many attacks that as soon as you let up, you get hit. It's a bit frustrating, but like I said above it's easy enough to do your jumping attack and kill everything. If you're guarding, you've already screwed up enough to deserve the hit.
    There are some spots where guarding helps like when you gotta bust down a wall or pillar and the enemies come.

    I think it's safe to say though after playing it for a while this is a fun game and if you like SatSR you will like this game. It's nothing but an improvement on the same formula.


    Though it does seem a bit redundant with sword swinging on the waggle. Sort of makes it hard to do some of the timing slashes with waggle but honestly it doesn't matter that much.

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Was anyone actually really looking forward to Sonic and the Black Knight?

    It seems like it's not even worth digging up the Sonic Cycle jpeg anymore.

    As I mentioned on the last page, I was, because it sounded like a fun game, if not a "traditional" Sonic game; shy of perhaps Rush, I've given up the hope for that.

    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    How's the endgame? Is there anything like SatSR's gold medal level clearing?

    I forget, was it ever necessary to clear the levels with gold medals in SatSR, or just something extra? Because you're ranked on every stage, from 1 to 5 stars. You could always go back and try to get five stars on everything. Also, getting a higher rank on the stage is how you level up your "styles", which are the three broad classes of skills. I'm still not sure what levelling up the style itself accomplishes.

  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GameDaily gives it a 7/10.

    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kupi wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    How's the endgame? Is there anything like SatSR's gold medal level clearing?

    I forget, was it ever necessary to clear the levels with gold medals in SatSR, or just something extra? Because you're ranked on every stage, from 1 to 5 stars. You could always go back and try to get five stars on everything. Also, getting a higher rank on the stage is how you level up your "styles", which are the three broad classes of skills. I'm still not sure what levelling up the style itself accomplishes.

    Something extra, most of the unlockable artwork and music is tied into getting either a gold medal on a particular level or a large number of silver or gold medals.

  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    How's the endgame? Is there anything like SatSR's gold medal level clearing?

    I forget, was it ever necessary to clear the levels with gold medals in SatSR, or just something extra? Because you're ranked on every stage, from 1 to 5 stars. You could always go back and try to get five stars on everything. Also, getting a higher rank on the stage is how you level up your "styles", which are the three broad classes of skills. I'm still not sure what levelling up the style itself accomplishes.

    Something extra, most of the unlockable artwork and music is tied into getting either a gold medal on a particular level or a large number of silver or gold medals.

    You also unlock skills, the Crest of Wind (something like 105 silver medals) being notable for making Sonic insanely fast (stacks with other speed increase skills) while draining rings. You also get a little award on the unlock board for getting all gold medals in addition to all the art/music you unlock in the process.

  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GameDaily gives it a 7/10.

    Seems like they're kinda missing the point as well. While 2006 and Unleashed were attempts at traditional Sonic games that had gimmics shoehorned into them, SatBK is the gimmic, and at least from the outside (I haven't played it yet) doesn't appear to have tried to be anything else.

    It needs more loops? What the hell?

    I'm going to need to look at their SatSR review, to see why they didn't like that game. There are plenty of legitimate reasons, but I'm suspicious.

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not having many loops is something I am in favor of.

  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I picked Black Knight up the other day and got as far as the "first" credits. The game's pretty much like Secret Rings, so if you liked that you'll like this. If you didn't like Secret Rings, it whether or not this one'll change your mind depends on what you didn't like the first time. If you liked the idea but just hated the imprecise movement controls, well BK switched it over to the analog stick, so that's taken care of. But if you didn't like the racetrack-and-mission gameplay, then this probably won't change your mind. They did fix things so that to progress trhough story mode you only have to do "Get to the Goal" missions, though other ones are still there.

    The sword fighting is the only thing I'm really iffy about. The idea of the sword itself is ok, but the waggle's really loose and unresponsive. Because Sonic has a bit of a delay when he attacks, as well as a limited range he moves forward when attacking, waggling really feels random. It's like you approach a group of baddies, and start flailing in the hopes you hit. The fact that enemies blocking and whatnot causes you to reel back and have to start the (somewhat slow) attack swing again really adds to the disconnect between your waggling and Sonic's slashing. I think if they did at least make horizontal and vertical attacks (to correspond with waggle direction) and have Sonic attack immediately when you swing (instead of a little windup he does) would have really helped.

  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been playing Sonic and Knuckles for the first time in many years and to be honest I don't really like it. I thought all of the old Sonic games were good but I don't rate this one as much.

    Ranmasig5.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know what, Sonic Unleashed got pretty miserable reviews and I had fun with it.

    So by that logic I'll probably enjoy Black Knight as well.

    oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / a80250598aa8cc2ffb8563e971973b3d5324b5c2185533c7337134de.ico?ad13179b567f3ff7b14378a5232870d1 eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dartboy wrote: »
    I picked Black Knight up the other day and got as far as the "first" credits. The game's pretty much like Secret Rings, so if you liked that you'll like this. If you didn't like Secret Rings, it whether or not this one'll change your mind depends on what you didn't like the first time. If you liked the idea but just hated the imprecise movement controls, well BK switched it over to the analog stick, so that's taken care of. But if you didn't like the racetrack-and-mission gameplay, then this probably won't change your mind. They did fix things so that to progress trhough story mode you only have to do "Get to the Goal" missions, though other ones are still there.

    The sword fighting is the only thing I'm really iffy about. The idea of the sword itself is ok, but the waggle's really loose and unresponsive. Because Sonic has a bit of a delay when he attacks, as well as a limited range he moves forward when attacking, waggling really feels random. It's like you approach a group of baddies, and start flailing in the hopes you hit. The fact that enemies blocking and whatnot causes you to reel back and have to start the (somewhat slow) attack swing again really adds to the disconnect between your waggling and Sonic's slashing. I think if they did at least make horizontal and vertical attacks (to correspond with waggle direction) and have Sonic attack immediately when you swing (instead of a little windup he does) would have really helped.

    The one real problem I'm having with swordplay is with some of the later boss fights, where (spoilers):
    Spoiler:

    I'm hoping that you can increase the speed of your swing with a skill later on or something.

12346»
Sign In or Register to comment.