As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Human nature, violence, PTSD and violent mental disorder. Maybe?

FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Something in my head as clicked as of late. I used to observe fictional violence and, in fact, real violence with little care at all. However, something in my love of horror has caused me to click and relate with both the victims and the aggressors and it's been plaguing my thoughts in almost anything related to violence, be it fictional, historical, or modern reality.

This territory has been tread countless times before by people far more professional than almost any of us here could hope to be, but I just feel the need to discuss it. What is it that makes one man a killer and another a victim? Why is it that the killer can take strength from his pain and damage while the victim becomes paralyzed by it, incapable of fighting back and if surviving, incapable of recovering or reconciling their experience? Is it simply that some people are "damaged "enough to relish in and learn from inflicting and receiving violence?

In the animal kingdom, violence is obviously the way most creatures survive. Through victorious encounters, they become stronger and better able to survive. This sounds stupid to say but, is what teaches an animal to survive in the wild what manifests in our modern society as PTSD? I guess that's the wrong way to approach it, though. PTSD doesn't turn you into a killer - PTSD is the result of horrifying events.

It's kind of hard for me to write a well-organized OP for this and I'm bad at that in general. I'm just goddamn fascinated by human violence and emotional reactions against the animal kingdom's equivalent. It seems really strange to me that one person raised away from violence is completely frozen by it and if they're the victim of it, it dominates their waking lives. Yet, another person whose life has been around violence seems to much less effected by it. It's obvious the exposure is the reason, but I'd like to find more about the deeper reasons. Domesticated animals seem to keep their killing/violent spirit - what is it about human domestication that takes it out of us?

This could be an awful OP, but I'm taking a shot at it goddammit. I want to find things out. Expect major edits and revisions as thoughts strike me while I'm far away.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Faffel on