As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All Flash

mugginnsmugginns JawsomeFresh CoastRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Graphic Violence
7462820061219101725largbb5.jpg

This thread is to discuss all the changes happening in the world of the Speedsters.
Updates:

Barry Allen
The Silver Age Flash is back. It was rumored for quite a while but he came back and played a pivotal role in Final Crisis.

Wally West
Wally ended his run just recently. The issue wrapped up pretty raggedly, but nothing is set in stone. His kids have been cured of the disease that was making them grow old very fast.

Bart Allen
Bart died in Flash #13 a summer or two ago. The Rogues destroyed his face with their weapons after being egged on by Inertia. In the latest Final Crisis: Legion of the 31st Century, Bart Allen came back out of the Speed Force. He is back as Kid Flash.

Inertia
Wally came back in the Lightning Saga and immediately took down Inertia. He was in the Flash museum, forever a statue. In Rogues' Revenge, Inertia is killed by the Rogues after he turned Hunter Zolomon back to his wheelchair bound self.

Jay Garrick
To be honest, I don't know much about Jay Garrick. I'm still reading my way through Flash VOL2 and I know he plays a part in some of that.
The News:
Flash: Re-birth comes out April 1. Geoff Johns is involved so there is a pretty good chance it'll be good. There is a preview here:

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=25815

I usually check http://speedforce.org/ for news - here is some of the latest:
Johns gave some hints about Flash: Rebirth. “It starts April 1, April Fool’s Day. It will come out.” The writer talked about the return of Bart Allen, and said the goal is to have fun in the Flash universe in the same way they’re currently having fun with the Green Lantern universe.
CBR’s take:
Geoff Johns then discussed “The Flash: Rebirth,” which comes out on April 1, confirming that Bart Allen is back and will play a big part in the book.

I'll be very interested to see what they do with Wally. Apparently he'll be getting a new uniform. Will he be put on the back burner? I sure hope not.

E26cO.jpg
mugginns on

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uh... about Inertia...
    he already kicked the bucket in one of the FC tie-ins.

Red or Alive on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh crap I forgot about that. I should re-read Rogues Revenge.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    mugginns wrote: »
    I don't think Iris has seen Barry Allen yet, either.

Uh, yeah she has. It was a pretty big scene in Final Crisis.

Garlic Bread on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    I don't think Iris has seen Barry Allen yet, either.

Uh, yeah she has. It was a pretty big scene in Final Crisis.

Barry "cured" her of Anti-Life with the Speed Force.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited February 2009
    I'm really bad at all of this. Anyway.

It was meant to be a discussion thread about the rumors that are coming out and the Rebirth preview.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009

It was meant to be a discussion thread about the rumors that are coming out and the Rebirth preview.

Would you say you're not up to speed with the Flash universe?

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2009
    Perhaps we should run what's happened by you again?

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2009
    Would that jog your memory?

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In the '90s, didn't Wally die and get replaced by some dude in a red and white costume or something like that, and his identity was a big mystery? What was the deal with that?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2009
    In the '90s, didn't Wally die and get replaced by some dude in a red and white costume or something like that, and his identity was a big mystery? What was the deal with that?

http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/walter.html

Garlic Bread on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    with all of them coming back it's like right now we're having a flash flood

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never read anything with Barry Allen in it but I fucking loved those "Flash Fact:" moments.

Mai-Kero on
    edited February 2009
    Keith wrote: »

Would you say you're not up to speed with the Flash universe?
    :(

I'm bad at remembering things... especially Final Crisis because for the most part it was "read... go to FBB the next day to find out what really happened".

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    With 4 generations of Flash, I think they could really set up a great story that involves all 4 of them.

Jay Garrick is interesting because he doesn't tap into the speed force the same way as the other 3. He is quite a bit slower than them, but he also has a shitload of experience and wisdom. If you are looking for some good Jay Garrick stories, you should read Geoff Johns' JSA books because Garrick is a member of the JSA. I would say that's the book where he is most prominently featured right now.

Also, as I recall, Jay had some cool moments in "52."

Lucascraft on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As a followup to my thought on the 4 Flash generations:

Jay Garrick - He's got the most experience and he's sort of the "dad" figure that all of the other guys look up to. He isn't as fast, because he doesn't tap the speed force. But what he lacks in speed he makes up for in determination and being a clever old bastard.

Barry Allen - He's the "Greatest" of the Flashes. He is the Silver Age star. He is definitely the fastest of them, and he's the one whom Wally and Bart both look up to as a hero.

Wally West - Got the job and lived perpetually in the shadow of Barry. He's basically the Kyle Rayner of the Flash family. However, he's been around as a character for about 20 years now, so he definitely has a strong following and a lot of history.

Bart Allen - Kid Flash, the youngest and most inexperienced. His attempt to fill Wally's place was a noble effort, but ended tragically. Will be interesting to see him back in the role of the youngest Flash.

Lucascraft on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Must have Max.

Wildcat on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, thanks to reading Impulse I have to say that Max Mercury is my favorite speedster.

Robos A Go Go on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't forget Johnny Quick!
    And I guess Jesse too?

JoeUser on
    edited February 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Wally West - Got the job and lived perpetually in the shadow of Barry. He's basically the Kyle Rayner of the Flash family. However, he's been around as a character for about 20 years now, so he definitely has a strong following and a lot of history.

He's been around as a character for 50 years

Garlic Bread on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    As a followup to my thought on the 4 Flash generations:

Jay Garrick - He's got the most experience and he's sort of the "dad" figure that all of the other guys look up to. He isn't as fast, because he doesn't tap the speed force. But what he lacks in speed he makes up for in determination and being a clever old bastard.

Barry Allen - He's the "Greatest" of the Flashes. He is the Silver Age star. He is definitely the fastest of them, and he's the one whom Wally and Bart both look up to as a hero.

Bart Allen - Kid Flash, the youngest and most inexperienced. His attempt to fill Wally's place was a noble effort, but ended tragically. Will be interesting to see him back in the role of the youngest Flash.

I'm pretty sure Barry Allen is not the fastest.

While I'm not able to give any examples, I remember writers pointing out that Wally was able to do stuff that no other Flash was able to do before. It was part of the process of installing him as The Flash, rather than just Kid Flash. The same thing happened with Bart Allen, who had the entire speed force in him. It made him the fastest Flash ever.

With Barry back, who knows what the new status quo is.

TeaSpoon on
    edited February 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Don't forget Johnny Quick!
    And I guess Jesse too?

If dead speedsters count, what about the Tornado Twins? And Barry's other grandkid, XS from the Legion of Super-Heroes.

TeaSpoon on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Wally was established multiple times as being The Fastest Man Alive, and the whole arc with Zoom impersonating Barry led to Wally getting over his fear of replacing Barry and reaching that potential

Me Too! on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Flash Fact: Wally West is a badass motherfucker.

Mai-Kero on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Wally was established multiple times as being The Fastest Man Alive, and the whole arc with Zoom impersonating Barry led to Wally getting over his fear of replacing Barry and reaching that potential

wasn't Bart significantly faster then Wally was at the same age? That seems to imply that Bart might be able to beat Wally in time...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

wasn't Bart significantly faster then Wally was at the same age? That seems to imply that Bart might be able to beat Wally in time...

Bart is like five years old. It doesn't really count.

TeaSpoon on
    edited February 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

reading comprehension is not one of your super powers, is it?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited February 2009
    Bart is better with his speed because he was born with it and it's instinctive to him. Like how Wally had to figure out how to vibrate through stuff (and then vibrate through stuff without exploding it), whereas Bart just instinctively vibrated through bullets

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really, really didn't care for the Flash preview. You know how Green Lantern was, for the first several issues, basically just Johns blowing Hal Jordan? The new Flash book looks to be the exact same thing.

The dialogue between Jay and the rest of the JSA is painful.

Munch on
    edited February 2009

I'm just saying that Wally didn't have powers when he was five. It seems to me that you're making too many assumptions by using an age-to-speed ratio as an indicator of eventual top speed. Maybe it's more prudent to use a ratio based on the speed and the time the speedsters have had their powers.

That's just assuming there's no top speed both Bart and Wally will eventually reach.

TeaSpoon on
    edited February 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    I really, really didn't care for the Flash preview. You know how Green Lantern was, for the first several issues, basically just Johns blowing Hal Jordan? The new Flash book looks to be the exact same thing.

The dialogue between Jay and the rest of the JSA is painful.

I don't really mind Barry's colleagues praising the dude at a party in his honor, but an overlong love letter to the Silver Age will turn me off pretty quickly.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2009

I'm just saying that Wally didn't have powers when he was five. It seems to me that you're making too many assumptions by using an age-to-speed ratio as an indicator of eventual top speed. Maybe it's more prudent to use a ratio based on the speed and the time the speedsters have had their powers.

That's just assuming there's no top speed both Bart and Wally will eventually reach.

Bart is the same age Wally was when he was Kid Flash. I know you think calling Bart five is clever, but that doesn't make it true.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited February 2009

Bart is the same age Wally was when he was Kid Flash. I know you think calling Bart five is clever, but that doesn't make it true.

But he is, though. He was born with a connection to the speed force and grew at an accelerated rate. That's why he was so disconnected with reality when he was Impulse. Because it wasn't in reality where he learned his ABCs. Sure, I'll make allowances for the time he spent in an alternate Earth (with Superboy Prime) and the years in the present. But he can't be older than 8 or 9 years old.

TeaSpoon on
    edited February 2009

Bart's not an actual teenager. He was 12 when he was actually 2. His aging was slowed to normal when he was "14" or so

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2009
    Right, I'd forgotten. Regardless though, how is that relevant? I do still think that Bart has the potential to be faster then Wally, regardless of his age.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited February 2009
    Right, I'd forgotten. Regardless though, how is that relevant? I do still think that Bart has the potential to be faster then Wally, regardless of his age.

Well, if you're going to disregard age, by what criteria do we judge your theory?

TeaSpoon on
    edited February 2009

Well, if you're going to disregard age, by what criteria do we judge your theory?

Okay, fine... lets use age. At 5 Bart is faster then Wally was at fucking 15.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Has anyone read Morrison and Millar's Flash "Emergency Stop" arc? It is pretty good!

But uh yeah Flash: Rebirth, I'll totally be buying that!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why is Jai West so muscular?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    H*R wrote: »

Both Jai and his sister Iris have Speed-Force powers that don't actually translate into super-speed, at least not at their current age.

Owenashi on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    H*R wrote: »
    Super powers

deadonthestreet on