As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Flash

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    For those interested, here's Flash: Rebirth #2's cover.

mlgswz.jpg

return of Barry Allen cover redux

I like the idea

Not the execution

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    I just really have a hard time fathoming what would possess someone to get a job in comics, work their way up to prominence, go to one of the largest gatherings of their customers and fans, and then be a total cock for no reason. Like, I understand the urge to poke fun at the guy who wonders when Gunfire's going to get his own ongoing again, or that girl who really, really wants to see Dick Grayson and Roy Harper finally confess their love for each other. But show some diplomacy, huh? Act like a professional.

I really feel like DC has this weird contempt for its fans, that actually hurts its ability to function as a business. Like, there's a pretty sizable audience out there that wants Young Justice trades. When someone mentions it at a con, it gets cheers. Even if those people are only indicative of a small portion of your audience, there's more people out there cheering for Young Justice than Hawkman Showcase Vol. 2, you know? I think DC is either completely oblivious to what some of their fans want, or just don't care, and I'm not sure which is worse.
    if DC made decisions based solely on crowd cheering

well

there would not be a DC

there would be 2 Marvels though (Marvel Apes)

Me Too! on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And I actually like that cover alright. It's not like my favorite, but I enjoy it.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wished DC made decisions based on something other than hatred for females and bad ideas.
    it would be hilarious if all those super feminists people like Occasional Superheroine were in charge of DC

god i almost wish I could see what a travesty that would be

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh man, Absolute Broken Vagina would send people running from the medium in droves.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I wished DC made decisions based on something other than hatred for females and bad ideas.
    it would be hilarious if all those super feminists people like Occasional Superheroine were in charge of DC

god i almost wish I could see what a travesty that would be
    On the other hand, everyone would be totally gay for each other.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Frank Miller's Wonder Woman would be the real one wouldn't she

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Frank Miller's Wonder Woman would be the real one wouldn't she

in a feminist world, Frank Miller would be dead.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Flash was my favorite character when I first got into comics. I liked Barry being the greatest of all time and sacrificing himself to save the universe. I liked him STAYING DEAD, unlike all the other resurrections across the board. It gave so much more meaning to what he did. I liked Wally stepping up and trying to be like him. I LOVED the head-fake of bringing Barry back (issues 70-something thru like 77 on Wally's run) and how that propelled Wally into getting over his fear of replacing The Flash. Loved all of it.

And have pretty much, with one or two minor exceptions, not liked any direction they've taken with the character since. Speed Force, time travel every other day, aging Bart only to club him like a baby seal, Speedster Kids, Barry returning to life, etc. Just . . . blah. :|

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Having only recently read through Young Justice, I felt very :( to learn Bart was dead in current continuity.

Glal on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Didn't it used to be "Barry Allen, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben are the only ones that stay dead"?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Didn't it used to be "Barry Allen, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben are the only ones that stay dead"?

Bucky, Jason Todd and Uncle Ben, wasn't it? Barry made a couple of cameos in Johns' run I think, so they probably didn't include him in that.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And Bucky.

Edit: beat'ed

Wildcat on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm just going to keep bitching that they killed Bart when they did and didn't do more with him as the Flash. There was some great potential there, and they squandered it. There's some great potential with all three back, but I'm skeptical that DC will actually capitalize on it.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Briareos wrote: »
    I'm just going to keep bitching that they killed Bart when they did and didn't do more with him as the Flash. There was some great potential there, and they squandered it. There's some great potential with all three back, but I'm skeptical that DC will actually capitalize on it.

Yeah, despite the rough start his series had (The Griffen!), I get the feeling it could have gotten good had they not ended it so soon.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Briareos wrote: »

Yeah, despite the rough start his series had (The Griffen!), I get the feeling it could have gotten good had they not ended it so soon.

I really don't think it could've. While they killed off a bit of Bart's personality making him Kid Flash, they pretty much killed all of it when they made him Flash. By the end, he was pretty generic.

I still get a laugh when Didio claims that killing him off was the plan from the very beginning. Even worse was when he claimed that his plan also involved bringing him back in Legion of 3 Worlds. It's kinda sad really.

I'm amazed at how poorly DC treats some of their characters. If they wanted to back out of Bart/Flash, they should've just found a way to de-age him in the actual series, rather than make him magically appear young again in Legion of 3 Worlds (which I'm guessing will get a convoluted explanation from Johns, to cover for DC's stupidity).

All that said, Geoff Johns will probably be writing Flash after Rebirth, so I'm fairly confident it'll be pretty good. I hope he doesn't turn it into a Barry Allen love letter though (ala, Green Lantern and Hal Jordan)...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Come on, EVERYONE LOVES HAL JORDAN.....
    Kyle 4 evah.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Having only recently read through Young Justice, I felt very :( to learn Bart was dead in current continuity.

Well have I got news for you!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really don't think it could've. While they killed off a bit of Bart's personality making him Kid Flash, they pretty much killed all of it when they made him Flash. By the end, he was pretty generic.

The best BartFlash story was the one in the 2007 Holiday Special, and even that wasn't very good. One of his first lines has him complaining about how the cold negatively affects his prosthetic knee.

Which isn't a phrase that should ever come out of Bart's mouth.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The more I read Young Justice (halfway done!) The more I see how the character change from YJ to Teen Titans effectively neutered him. I think that the seeds were sown in YJ for him to grow up and be a bit more responsible... but I realize now how sucky it was for them to actually do that. I hope this reincarnated Bart is more Impulse then Kid Flash...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    You should read Impulse's series

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The best BartFlash story was the one in the 2007 Holiday Special, and even that wasn't very good. One of his first lines has him complaining about how the cold negatively affects his prosthetic knee.

Which isn't a phrase that should ever come out of Bart's mouth.

It was just worth it for the "I'm thinking about starting up Young Justice again" to Robin, even if it was a joke

Really it was just worth it because he was talking to Robin. I hate how friendships and stuff like that are rarely reflected in solo titles. One of my favorite parts of Tomasi's Nightwing run is when Wally shows up and he and Dick just hang out (and mourned Bart)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I really just want to see Bart interact with Wally's kids. He can be like the cool uncle/older brother in the Flash family.

And yeah, Impulse's solo series was awesome the entire time Waid was writing it, and even after he left it maintained a high level of quality. Plus it's neat to see the issues with Ethan Van Sciver's art, and see how much his style's changed.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    God I love Tomasi's Nightwing so much

I'm all for progression in comic but man it's upsetting because he barely got started on the title before it was canceled

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Keith wrote: »

Funny you should mention that, I'm about to start it after I finish YJ.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'm all for progression in comic but man it's upsetting because he barely got started on the title before it was canceled

I hate how Batman RIP has reset everyone back to Gotham. For something that is centered around such a change in the status quo, they're undoing a lot of progress that never got to take root. Birds of Prey and Nightwing never got to settle down too much. It's just going to make their whole run look expendable.

Lux on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    EVS can't draw people running for cock. The Flash on the Titans cover he did, with Wally front and center, looked like he was busting an atrocious 80's dance move. Come to think of it, he seems to have trouble illustrating any body in motion when depth and distance is concerned (like a leg kicking towards the reader).

Teth on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does it have the 4th wall breaking jokes YJ did? I loved the one where Bart, Superboy and Ray complain their comic books got cancelled, then glare at Robin.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Does it have the 4th wall breaking jokes YJ did? I loved the one where Bart, Superboy and Ray complain their comic books got cancelled, then glare at Robin.

Nah

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lux wrote: »

I hate how Batman RIP has reset everyone back to Gotham. For something that is centered around such a change in the status quo, they're undoing a lot of progress that never got to take root. Birds of Prey and Nightwing never got to settle down too much. It's just going to make their whole run look expendable.

Well Birds of Prey has been sucking, and Platinum Flats was pretty dumb.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I still think it sucks that Bludhaven got blown up. I loved the idea of someplace even shittier and more wretched than Gotham existing in North America.

Besides Detroit.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    philly represent

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    philly represent
    This and your av/sig combo make me want to punch someone. Preferrably the girl.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    are you dissing philadelphia

because it looks like you're dissing philadelphia

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    are you dissing philadelphia

because it looks like you're dissing philadelphia

I've heard it is typically sunny there.

Regardless, what does the future hold for Impulse, Wally, and Jay? Are they going to be shunted into some Speed Force Corps so they don't draw attention from Barry?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, no. It's just that your Springer girl makes me violent. I can't quite explain it.

(philly sucks)

edit- back on topic- I'd pick up a new Kid Flash series. I actually liked that they put Bart on a new path, had him grow up a bit. Impulse was hot for his time, but bringing him more into the Flash family made sense to me.

Proceed with the hating.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bart will actually make sense as Kid Flash with Barry back. Bart never listened to (or really respected) Wally (for good reasons), but Barry was his hero.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Regardless, what does the future hold for Impulse, Wally, and Jay? Are they going to be shunted into some Speed Force Corps so they don't draw attention from Barry?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a second Flash book launched, assuming the Barry reboot sells as well as Green Lantern does. We already know Wally's getting a new costume, so he may very well get a new name to go with it. He'll likely stay in Titans, truly a fate worse than death, while Jay remains in in JSA, and Barry takes Wally's spot in JLA. Bart will probably either co-star with Barry in the main Flash book, or get shuffled back over to Teen Titans. Probably coinciding with Robin rejoining the team.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a second Flash book launched, assuming the Barry reboot sells as well as Green Lantern does. We already know Wally's getting a new costume, so he may very well get a new name to go with it. He'll likely stay in Titans, truly a fate worse than death, while Jay remains in in JSA, and Barry takes Wally's spot in JLA. Bart will probably either co-star with Barry in the main Flash book, or get shuffled back over to Teen Titans. Probably coinciding with Robin rejoining the team.

... and Superboy?

pretty please?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, since I think I might post here a bit more since Newsarama's a bit meh now, I offer to break bread over this commission I had Carlo Barberi do of Impulse:

DSC01875.jpg

This was done right before the Graduation Day crossover and right after Bart's series was canceled with just pencils; you can see some blue lines in their as well.

I always liked Bart since I was a kid, and would always get Impulse, Robin, and Superboy comics at the local Walgreens when visiting my grandparents. If only I wore French Toast jeans like the ads wanted me to.

TexiKen on