As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokémon: You'd think the third game would have been Crystal (Platinum is out)

RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the new Pokémon thread! Here we share opinions, trade and battle with Pokémon.

118018250969.jpg

If you don't know what Pokémon are, then this thread is probably not for you! But we can help you understand what these are.

Pikachu.png

Pokémon is short for Pocket Monsters. They are creatures that are each one based on an element and are able to attack with moves from those elements. You use your own creatures to capture more and more species you find in the wild. There are 493 of them, and each one has a varying degree of usability in battle.

Tiers, much like in fighting games, will give you an idea of which of them will make it more likely to win a match, but won't necessarily guarantee your victory. For the most up-to-date tier list and probably the most reliable and most used, please refer to Smogon, which also offers examples of movesets and EV spreads that will give you an idea of what to do with yours.

GSC_Gold.png

If you want to be a trainer, and don't even know which version to buy, you can either get Diamond or Pearl for your battling needs, although the third version, Platinum will be out in March 22nd and you might want to grab that one instead if you don't mind waiting a month for it, as it will feature several options not available in Diamond or Pearl.
Bulbapedia wrote:
List of features in Platinum (will only list functional gameplay features not in D/P)

- The Wi-Fi area has been enhanced with the Wi-Fi Square, which supports up to 20 people at a time. The new area seems to focus exclusively on mini-games, which include Rapid Wobbuffet, where players hit a Wobbuffet, and Merry Mime Jr., where players can balance Mime Jr. on a ball.
- The Poffin making has been modified with a new feature involving a Swalot-shaped machine, into which Berries can be thrown. This can be done over Wi-Fi in the new Wi-Fi Square.
- There is a new key item called the Battle Recorder (given by Looker when the player first meets him in Jubilife City), which allows players to record battles in Battle Frontier and Wi-Fi, and share the records with other players over the GTS. Battle records can be rated by other players upon viewing, and the most popular battle records are displayed for all to see. Players can also take pictures of their PC boxes and share them with other players in a similar fashion.
- The GTS has incorporated an E-mail system that allows players to be notified of completed trades.
- Notification messages are sent to the player's actual E-mail address.
- The Sinnoh starters and their evolutions are now allowed in an expanded Amity Square, making a total of 20 Pokémon allowed in the Square.
- Over local wireless, there is a new feature where the player and their friends can put their Pokémon eggs in and randomly swap.
- HM05 (Defog) is now located inside the Solaceon Ruins instead of the Pastoria Great Marsh.
- The player now receives HM04 (Strength) from Riley on Iron Island instead of in the Lost Tower.
- The player can now challenge other trainers in certain Pokémon Centers. The trainer(s) are located in front of the desk. These trainers change location every day.
- In addition to the move tutors in Diamond and Pearl, three new move tutors are added, in Snowpoint City, on Route 212 and in the Survival Area.
- The Accuracy of Hypnosis was changed back to 60.
- The surfing speed has become faster.

What you need to start battling:

- First of all, finish the main game first. Trying to understand and manipulate EVs and IVs before that will be a pain.
- Once you've beaten the Elite Four, the real fun* begins. First, give Individual Values or IVs a read. You will also want to know everything about breeding and Effort Values or Evs. Natures Natures should also be read.
- Now that you know some things about EVs, you can either grind at the Battle Tower for the points needed to buy the Power Items or borrow them from someone who is used to play here at G&T. These items will make EV training much easier.
- If you aren't sure what to do with your Pokés, check out Smogon for some tips that will help you choose an appropriate EV spread and moveset for your Mons.
- Check out Psypoke's EV training spots.
- Also, check out what's inside the spoiler for a better way to breed eggs:

- You might want to check Chen's list of what you should consider adding to your team:

01 Rapid Spin/Magne[strike]ton[/strike]zone
02 Rock resist
[strike]03 Roar/Whirlwind[/strike]
[strike]04 Mixpert counter[/strike]
05 Gengar counter
06 Special Tank
07 Physical Tank
[strike]08 Recover Zam counter[/strike]
[strike]09 Grass Type[/strike]
10 Toxic taker
11 Will-o-Wisp taker
12 Paralysis taker
13 Sleep taker
14 Fighting resistance
15 Tyranitar counter
[strike]16 Reversal counter[/strike]
[strike]17 Sludge Bomb Tentacruel counter[/strike]
18 Water type
[strike]19 Taunt Umbreon counter[/strike]
[strike]20 Jirachi Counter[/strike]
21 Celebi Counter
22 Normal resistance (Explosion)
[strike]23 Curselax counter[/strike]
24 Gyarados+[strike]Magneton[/strike]Electivire counter
25 Salamence counter (usually Ice Beam)
26 Ghost to block Rapid Spin (only if you're using Spikes)
27 Stealth Rock user
28 Draco Meteor taker
29 Outrage taker
30 Fire resistance (Heatran, Infernape)
31 Steel resistance
32 Priority user
33 Revenge killer (usually scarfed or priority user)
34 Trick taker

- And more importantly: Have fun! It doesn't matter if you win or lose. You must have learned something from experience, and if your newest creation wasn't as good as thought it'd be and you want to keep it boxed, don't feel discouraged. We all have trained some Pokémon that we'll never use again because it sounded better on paper than it performed in practice.

General battling rules
- Pokémon battles through Wi-fi automatically level your Pokémon to either levels 50 or 100. So you don't have to train them to level 100 yourself, saving a lot of time. In fact, it will be better if you don't level them up all the way to level 100 since you at that stage you won't be able to edit your Pokés' EVs.
-Sleep Clause: you may not put more than one of your opponent's Pokémon to sleep at a time.
-Species Clause: your team must be comprised of six different species of Pokémon.
-Suicide Clause: If both players are down to their last Pokémon, the player with the first Pokémon to hit 0 HP is the loser. In other words, using moves like Self Destruct and Explosion cause you to lose, even if it kills your opponent. However, using a move with a recoil that kill both you and your opponent is a win for you.
-No Legendary Pokémon whatsoever. This includes Wobbuffet and Garchomp.

Warnings

- Do NOT buy Pokémon Battle Revolution unless you hate yourself.
- If you use U-Turn with a Choice Banded Pokémon, and your next Pokémon also has U-Turn, it will be locked to U-Turn as well. It seems this was a glitch in DP ans was fixed in Platinum. Thanks to Ashton Dragon for the first bit of information and to InvisibleInk for the second bit.
- If your opponent Yawns you and you have a Chesto Berry, you might not want to use Rest, because at the end of that turn you will have woken up with the Chesto Berry after Resting, then you'll fall asleep again because of the Yawn.
- Don't take a bath with your Tentacool.

Sites of interest

PA's Pokémart. You should read the OP before posting there.
Marriland's team builder. It will let you know how many weaknesses your team has so you can take meassures before battling.
Serebii. Check out their Pokédex.
Metalkid's IV Calculator.

RockinX on

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Active battlers (PM me if you want to be added):
    RockinX: 0301-6425-9658
    Kay: 2277-9321-5433
    InvisibleInk: 1890-7641-5153

RockinX on
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You're linking to the page and not to the image itself.
    ?action=view&current=118018250969.jpg

Right click on the image, properties, copy the address (URL)
    118018250969.jpg

How much longer on that trade Rockin?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is a critical lack of Drifloon in this new thread. OUTRAGE I SAY

Aggril on
    edited February 2009
    Hey Aggril,
    Arceus is definitely real.
    arceus.jpg
    starring in the 12th movie and it'll be given away in Japan (and lets assume the US) when that movie is released.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    AHA! Proof! Now Bug Plate Arceus can't be argued against in Ubers. Much fun!

Also, I did not know that they finally are addressing the surf speed in Platinum. That will be very helpful. Even though D/P doesn't have near as much surfing required as R/S/E did.

Aggril on
    edited February 2009
    You're linking to the page and not to the image itself.
    ?action=view&current=118018250969.jpg

Right click on the image, properties, copy the address (URL)
    118018250969.jpgHow much longer on that trade Rockin?

Thanks.

I have enough to give you back those two. Hop on.

RockinX on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Certainly a slimmer OP.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    edited February 2009
    I'm not going to defend my OP. Someone else do that, please.

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    Aggril wrote: »

Also, I did not know that they finally are addressing the surf speed in Platinum. That will be very helpful. Even though D/P doesn't have near as much surfing required as R/S/E did.

Why Bug Plate specifically?

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    Aggril wrote: »

Why Bug Plate specifically?

For all the Psychic types in the Uber tier, of course. Check out the Uber list- lots of things there are Psychic. Its effectiveness against Dark is nice too. Ground resistance is always a plus.

Not that I play Ubers much, its just fun to actually have a, Uber-Bug.

Aggril on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tried going to the local toysrus and there wasn't anything to download on the wifi connection :'<

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    leaf wrote: »
    Tried going to the local toysrus and there wasn't anything to download on the wifi connection :'<

Make sure you talk to the employee at the register. They need to initiate the gift for each customer. You also get a poster and a $5 off coupon for a DS game.

Shady3011 on
  • edited February 2009
    blue dot!

also ill prob make a list of my shinies these coming weeks and post it a week or 2 before platinum comes out. then u guys can take ur picks and i can rename everything for you etc, etc.

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have not played a Pokemon game since Yellow. I have been completely ignorant as to the development of Pokemon since then. But I think I'm going to finally take the plunge again and pick up Platinum when it comes out.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh! Well, I didn't talk to anyone. I felt weird. Maybe I'll bring friends with me next time and we'll do it together haha.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Make sure you talk to the employee at the register. They need to initiate the gift for each customer. You also get a poster and a $5 off coupon for a DS game.
    The problem is that he lives in Canada and this is an America only thing.
    Also, I didn't have to talk to anyone when I went there. They have a DS in the store somewhere thats just constantly transmitting the info wirelessly.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    leaf wrote: »

By Toys R Us in America, do they not mean USA? I think that would be the problem here.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    After the Toys R Us event, I need only three more Pokemon. THREE.

Then I will have them all and I will be free. (until next generation)

mrsnackroad on
  • DiscountNinjaDiscountNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kind of lurker here, but does anyone have a spare ditto? don't have much to trade, but could give a charizard if you don't have one/need one. dunno any of its stats though :x

DiscountNinja on
    edited February 2009
    Don't worry about that, most people here have everything they need anyway.
    I can spare a Ditto for you. Whats your Friend Code? Mines in my sig

Mr.Snackroad, aside from Arceus what are the 3 you'll need? Cause I can probably get you 2 of them. Maybe.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    Mr.Snackroad, aside from Arceus what are the 3 you'll need? Cause I can probably get you 2 of them. Maybe.

Celebi and Jirachi.

And my router isn't cooperative with my Nintendo Wifi dongle, which makes things pretty wonky with trying to lose to people on wifi.

mrsnackroad on
    edited February 2009
    You'll have to try and trade for those 2 eventually. I couldn't guess when they might be given away again.
    It would be nice if they were available in another game (for pretty much the first time) but when would that happen?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    You'll have to try and trade for those 2 eventually. I couldn't guess when they might be given away again.
    It would be nice if they were available in another game (for pretty much the first time) but when would that happen?

I'm sure there'll be more pokemon games available that are abjectly terrible, but find their sales in people buying them for the giveaway.

Or, Pokemon Ranch 2? I don't even know.

mrsnackroad on
    edited February 2009
    LOL!! Have you guys heard Shaymin's cry? It's hilarious! It sounds like a bunch of birds singing.

Thanks, Ink.

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    and thank you for the items.
    It does have a very cute cry. I wonder if the new Platinum forms have different cries.
    Also, Seed Flare looks cool and has a neat sound.

Battles? Somebody battle me!

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    I can battle you!

By the way, it does change cries.

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    All the new forms? I'd like to hear Fridge Rotoms cry.

All right X, lets fight!
    I'm online.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    Well, I didn't say all Pokés that change forms.

No idea about the Rotoms and it's lame that they don't work online.

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    OHKO! I'm off to a good start.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    I love this Kingdra even though I can't change its EVs.

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    Man, I'm getting too predictable, haha.

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    Don't worry about that, most people here have everything they need anyway.
    I can spare a Ditto for you. Whats your Friend Code? Mines in my sig

3866-6694-0481, is mine. whenever you're free :D

DiscountNinja on
    edited February 2009
    Ok, let me just finish this fight.

this fight that i'll probably lose. Damn I shouldn't have let Machamp die like that. I honestly didn't think Drill Peck would OHKO like that. Why would I think that?!?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    Haha, 22 is kinda awesome. This poké has a base power of 125. Yeah, it was probably a bad idea to let it die :p

Look at that present!

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    damn big pimpin shiny...
    My new guy had a pretty decent debut. I think i'm going to like it. Still a novelty act though.
    I really would have liked to see if Tangrowth could have survived that attack from Kingdra, I mean if the new guy took one somehow, certainly Growth could to. Damn criticals.

Oh well. Good game Rockin. I wouldn't say you were predictable. Its just that there are correct choices, and you made them, and I knew you would.

I'll head online for our trade in a second DiscountNinja

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    THOSE CORRECT CHOICES ARE PREDICTABLE. You mean Kingdra's attack was a critical? I didn't know. Oh well, considering its whopping base 50 sp def, I doubt it would have survived anyway. Didn't your new dude have that hold item that made it hold on?

Anyway, fun battle. Shame I lost Globita that way.

Hey, the way we are talking about the predictability made it look like I lost, lol.

RockinX on
    edited February 2009
    thanks!

DiscountNinja on
    edited February 2009
    Now go, and confuse elderly couples who cannot comprehend procreation.

Rockin, you clearly were not paying attention. No, my guy was not holding a Focus Sash. Did you not see the attack it used? Remember the hold item you just gave me?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, some other business is keeping my mind distracted. And I hope it's for good.

RockinX on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Still need to get that last move on my new guy. I hate high-level move requirements. :|

Kay2 on