As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokémon: You'd think the third game would have been Crystal (Platinum is out)

• edited March 2009
    oh man. i just picked a battle tower metagross (quick claw adamant meteor mash, earthquake, zen headbutt, explosion) to put in the front of the team and he is just beating up everything by himself D:

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hmm, are there any must-have moves for the Roserade? earlier in my game she was my goto gal for lots of shit - but lately its been a little lacking. level 44 at the moment. anything i should be buying from the department store? i just remembered there were a shitload of moves available but i kinda just browsed them for a second.

krylon666 on
  • Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    REUTERS, 2009 - the persistence of zubats worthlessness into the DS generation inspires new forum title and location for local man

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What does everyone have against Zubats?

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    I want to love them, but my level 6 Zubat was leveling up more slowly than my level 14 Turtwig.

I'm a busy man. I don't have time for the slow children. I don't fucking play by the rules of No Pokemon Left Behind.

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They're soooo bad.

I say this while my DS has currently been on for ~3 hours with paper weights on and my guy running in order to get the happiness to evolve a Crobat.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    I want to love them, but my level 6 Zubat was leveling up more slowly than my level 14 Turtwig.

I'm a busy man. I don't have time for the slow children. I don't fucking play by the rules of No Pokemon Left Behind.

Me neither. I trained the wrong Gastrodon. It had 0 HP IVs. So I left it behind.

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    There should be a more visceral option than 'release' for getting rid of undesirables.

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit he hasn't even gained one little heart.

..oh he just evolved. I guess the pokeapp for happiness doesn't update until the pokemon rezones or whatever.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • edited March 2009
    that's great. a pinsir just guillotined my gliscor and crit my scizor to death. killed it with gyarados but tyranitar comes in and stone edges it to death. sigh. dammmmmnnnn yoouuuuu battle factory

the funny thing is that the pinsir was in a guillotine match with my gliscor. however, my gliscor had focus sash. first 2 turns both missed, 3rd turn he hit i miss, i hung on. 4th turn i missed again and he x scissors me. woe.

Push Button / Receive Cat on
    edited March 2009
    fuck.. is it worth catching giratina (in distortion world)? i'm having a hell of a time trying

krylon666 on
    edited March 2009
    Use a Master Ball, check its IVs and nature, and if they are good, give it to me and I'll clone it.

I have tons of Master Balls.

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    are the IVs/nature pre-determined? or can i catch, reload, catch etc to get a good one?

krylon666 on
    edited March 2009
    Yes. You can soft-reset to get the desired IVs/nature.

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    ok, well i never checked IVs before. i guess i need to use a calculator? i tried the one on serebii and i think something is wrong:

30, 0, 31, 0, 31, 23 (the zero's were in red)

his stats were:
    lvl 47 - hasty
    212 hp
    108 atk
    115 def
    113 sp. atk
    126 sp. def
    110 speed

krylon666 on
    edited March 2009
    You'll want its IVs to be the closest to 31 as possible. Hasty may not be that good on it. Not even on the Origin form. Go for Modest or Bold

RockinX on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So... What's the best HM Slave in plat?

I used to use a Tropius and a um... fish with a dangly bit on it's head. But that was 1 gen back I think?

I really hate having to put those 8 moves on my actually useful pokemon, btw. It'd be different if the HM moves weren't, as a rule, shit.

KiTA on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Skarmory/Tropius can do Fly, Cut, Strength, Defog, and Rock Smash.

Bidoof can do Surf, Cut, Strength, Waterfall, Rock Climb, Rock Smash.

Mew is still king though. All of them and teleport, dig, and flash.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hurm.

I know that Pokemon still does well in sales after all these years, but I'm surprised that everywhere I tried to get it tonight was sold out when it's been out for over a week.

UnbreakableVow on
  • CorranCorran VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck the Battle Factory Tycoon and his legendaries. arghhhhhhhh

Oh and also whoever decided battle tower Garchomps should have aqua tail over Earthquake that's real helpful.

Corran on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a question:

Is there any point in getting plat if you've completed DP with over 50 hours invested in it?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you consider the 50 hours you spent in d/p to be a long time, then probably not worth it.

I had restarted mine and still had about 200 hours in it, and it didn't seem like I played that much.

commathe on
  • dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    500+ hours on pearl cart checkin' in. Oi.

At least this time around I won't have to grind BP endlessly for the Power and Choice items.

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Corran wrote: »
    Fuck the Battle Factory Tycoon and his legendaries. arghhhhhhhh

Oh and also whoever decided battle tower Garchomps should have aqua tail over Earthquake that's real helpful.

Keep at it, you'll beat him eventually. He always seems to have just one legendary, but it seems random beyond that. He had Heatran the time I beat him.
    I'd probably have gotten to him again by now but I took a break from the Factory to start doing the other post-game stuff.

AshtonDragon on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    just read this tip at another forum, hadn't seen it before. should be helpful now that the bidoof trainer is gone.
    The answer to "Where do I train X?" where X is whatever stat you're working on should ALWAYS be: FISHERMAN ANDREWS. This handy fellow is on Route 205 and sports SIX level 10 magikarps that only know splash. You can also re-fight him using the vs. seeker. Now I know what you're thinking "Magikarps are speed EV's what if I want something else?" that's where you get going with some TAMATO berries. They reduce speed EVs (-10EVs/berry).

With the power item, your pokemon will get 48BP for the stat you want and 12bp for speed for every match with him. So if you want to max an EV (252) you'll need to fight him 5.25 times for you to get 252 EVs on whatever you want and 63 speed EVs extra.

So to fully max something, you need 7 Tamato berries to reset whatever speed EV's you gain.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Random, but apparently there are a bunch of Pokemon on Twitter:

Link

Game related: what's the best Pokemon to use HM fly with? I don't mean an HM slave, I mean one that I can give fly to that will also be fairly competent in the single player game.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited March 2009

Link

Yea Goons started that. It was funny for a little while, got old pretty quick.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy Shit I beat Cynthia!
    Damn what a tough fight. I had to use a couple of Max Revives in order to win it. Crawdaunt survived a Dragon Rush and was all ready to use Avalanche but it Flinched!! FUCK. It died, I used a Max Revive, tried again, took an Earthquake (no flinch) Avalanche failed to OHKO! FUCK. and then I realized that effort was for nothing because my Spec'd Froslass was faster than Garchomp anyway!
    Froslass had stupid good luck. OHKO'd Togekiss with a critical Ice Beam, got a crit Thunderbolt on Lucario, though that didn't KO, and it froze Roserade. But Roserade instantly thawed...

MY CHAMPIONS
    Rapidash, Crawdaunt Lvl 50
    Froslass, Swellow, Gallade and Torterra Lvl 51

I'm real glad I taught U-Turn to Swellow. That took out most of Lucians team on its own. Swellow was so much more useful than I had expected, that speed is invaluable.
    and Torterra is a bulky motherfucker! I never thought it would stand up against Lucario as well as it did.

4 Max Revives, 17 Revives, 15 MooMoo Milks, 4 Hyper Potions, and maybe 1 or 2 Full Restores. I used fewer items than I would have guessed actually.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Link

Game related: what's the best Pokemon to use HM fly with? I don't mean an HM slave, I mean one that I can give fly to that will also be fairly competent in the single player game.

Probably Staraptor, that thing is fairly incredible.

AshtonDragon on
    edited March 2009

Link

I'm only seeing something about GameStop and refurbished consoles. Am I missing something here?

When I quoted this, I saw a different URL, though.

RockinX on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'd like to know this too. I just got fly last night and I think of the pokemon that are at somewhat of a close level to my frequently used team which are in their mid-20s, only zubat could learn it. (And after reading the last page, it made me a sad panda. I haven't been a big fan of zubat, but for awhile he was my only pokemon that had dark or flying attacks.)

The group I currently settled on looks like:

Prinplup
    Luxio
    Kadabra
    Gible
    Ponyta
    Scyther

all in their mid-20s (except for Gible which I just got yesterday, only like 21 iirc). I just beat the 4th gym and learned fly (which I currently have on zubat, whom i switched out scyther for :( ). Now, I know the single-player game is relatively easy according to what you guys have said, but are any of these pokemon gonna be terribad at higher levels? I have also been switching in and out a Machop and a Geodude from time to time (they both know the rock smash HM), but they are lagging behind a few levels.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    just read this tip at another forum, hadn't seen it before. should be helpful now that the bidoof trainer is gone.
    The answer to "Where do I train X?" where X is whatever stat you're working on should ALWAYS be: FISHERMAN ANDREWS. This handy fellow is on Route 205 and sports SIX level 10 magikarps that only know splash. You can also re-fight him using the vs. seeker. Now I know what you're thinking "Magikarps are speed EV's what if I want something else?" that's where you get going with some TAMATO berries. They reduce speed EVs (-10EVs/berry).

With the power item, your pokemon will get 48BP for the stat you want and 12bp for speed for every match with him. So if you want to max an EV (252) you'll need to fight him 5.25 times for you to get 252 EVs on whatever you want and 63 speed EVs extra.

So to fully max something, you need 7 Tamato berries to reset whatever speed EV's you gain.

Thats silly, no one wants to grow all of those Tamato Berries.
    EV training isn't much different in Platinum than it was in D/P. The only real change is the loss of Bidoof girl, but there are replacements for her. They aren't quite as quick or simple, but they exist. All of the other stats get trained in pretty much the same places as before.
    Oh, and the Magikarp guy has lvl 8-16 Magikarps, they were all lvl 10 in D/P.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited March 2009
    "What if I want something else?"

You fight another Poké? I don't see why you would want to fight Magikarps before finishing EV training, and even then, they give few EXP points, so what is the point of that?

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    I don't know if this was widely known already but the Shaymin giveaway event is starting in the UK in a day or two. Check Game's website for the date it will be at your nearest shop.

Link

Probably Staraptor, that thing is fairly incredible.

Yeah, you can give him fly and defog to cover those HMs, along with close combat and one other move of your choice. He's still really powerful since the AI won't take advantage of Fly taking two turns like a human player would.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    I'm guessing because Magikarp is a one hit KO for most things and won't take awhile, where many of the other trainers run level 50 Pokemon

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So it appears that one of my pokemon contracted Pokerus.

Unfortunately, by the time I realised that the nurse was going on about it she'd already finished, so I'm going to need details on exactly what it does.

Most importantly, is it permanent?

Somestickguy on
    edited March 2009
    Pokerus doubles the EVs that a pokemon gains, it is permanent and greatly speeds up EV training. It lasts for 1 or 2 days I think, and is then cured. Cured simply means he can no longer spread it to others, he still earns double EVs.

Pokemon in the PC storage will never be cured of pokerus so spread it to a pokemon you don't use and then box him. Later, when you're EV training your pro team take him out to spread pokerus to your guys to make it quicker. It will spread to other pokes in your party after a few battles.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So it appears that one of my pokemon contracted Pokerus.

Unfortunately, by the time I realised that the nurse was going on about it she'd already finished, so I'm going to need details on exactly what it does.

Most importantly, is it permanent?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokerus

Houn on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When it is cured, it'll have a yellow :| face next to its picture in the summary.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So guys, can you bulk-transfer your pokes from D/P to Plat. using Pokemon Ranch on Wii, or is my only real option to do it the old fashioned way with 2 DSes?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531