As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokémon: You'd think the third game would have been Crystal (Platinum is out)

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    It lasts for 1 or 2 days I think, and is then cured. Cured simply means he can no longer spread it to others, he still earns double EVs.

If you have a pokemon with pokerus in your party when the clock hits 12:00, it will be "cured". You should always keep a few pokemon who are still able to spread it in your PC at all times.

AshtonDragon on
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    1 in 21,845....!?

Well there goes any excuse for claiming i'm unlucky ever!

I don't even know why I caught that gabite. I already had one in the PC!

Somestickguy on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I checked the UK Shaymin event - none in Cambridge, the best one for me is the Sunday 5th April event in London. Bleah.

Kay2 on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That was its chance in gold and silver, I believe it was made more common in later generations.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So guys, can you bulk-transfer your pokes from D/P to Plat. using Pokemon Ranch on Wii, or is my only real option to do it the old fashioned way with 2 DSes?

Only way is 2 DS's. Pokemon ranch is tied to your specific game cart.

Zerokku on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    So guys, can you bulk-transfer your pokes from D/P to Plat. using Pokemon Ranch on Wii, or is my only real option to do it the old fashioned way with 2 DSes?

Booooooooooooooo

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, you can't use Ranch to move pokes between carts? WTF is the point of it then?

I'm suddenly very glad I never bought it.

Houn on
  • Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    OK! Day 2!~

I got sidetracked yesterday, kept finding new Pokemon that I wanted to add to my team, so I'm 6 hours in but only reached Eterna(sp) City. Team is

Dia (Luxio 17m)
    Alínis (Staravia 16f)
    Baram (Bibarel 16f)
    Máre-Máre (Grotle 18m)
    Safi (Ponyta 16f)
    Qixotl (Kadabra 16m)

it looks like Bidoof is good for HMs, so I might actually take this comp. as far as it'll take me unless something else catches my eye. There's a few move types missing, but I'm sure I'll at least be able to get those moves later. Only sucky part is that Ponyta doesn't evolve until 40, according to Bulbapedia. Boo!

OK BACK TO THE HUNT

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    Random, but apparently there are a bunch of Pokemon on Twitter:

Link

I'm only seeing something about GameStop and refurbished consoles. Am I missing something here?

When I quoted this, I saw a different URL, though.

Yeah sorry, the link was wrong. I fixed it.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

wow, what the heck is the point of Ranch then

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited March 2009

Make Nintendo Monies?

Cameron_Talley on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it looks like Bidoof is good for HMs, so I might actually take this comp. as far as it'll take me unless something else catches my eye.

If you can resist taking other pokemon as you're advancing you're a stronger person than I am. My problem is that every road/area seems to have a new pokemon I want to add to my team. :P

I'm really new at this so I feel awkward giving advice(don't know how new you are at this), but so far my water attack (I chose piplup to start) has been super duper useful in the caves (and there seem to be no end to the caves) cause of its effectiveness against rock (and ground?). There seem to be a lot of water pokemon to pickup along the way though if you find you want one.

Edit: Any feedback on my team is still very welcome. My current team.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Make Nintendo Monies?

Storage.

But I use it to clone Pokés!

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    (and there seem to be no end to the caves)
    nooooo caves (but at least Flash isn't an HM in this game, it seems, since I got a TM - Flash ...)

I honestly started just running from the Rock/Ground type ones because yeah, the only really good attack I had against them at the time was my Grotle's Grass-type attacks and he's never anywhere near the front of my line-up. Spending the time switching him in just for a paltry few EXP, eh. <_<

The Bidoof learned Water Gun when it turned into Bibarel, but I'm going to see if I can make good progress without leveling it up too much more. 8 hours to get my 2nd badge means I'm either a little slower, or this game is a little longer, than I anticipated. XD

edit what the HELL is a Skunky? it's immune to Psychic-type moves :shock:

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RockinX wrote: »

Make Nintendo Monies?

Storage.

But I use it to clone Pokés!

Speaking of which. Anyone have the event Regigas and willing to lend me it for an afternoon?

MastaP on
    edited March 2009

8 hours to get my 2nd badge means I'm either a little slower, or this game is a little longer, than I anticipated. XD

I have a Psyduck with Waterpulse for those pesky caves.

Also, I've spent 20 hours on the game so far and haven't gotten the fourth badge yet....

Cameron_Talley on
    edited March 2009
    nooooo caves (but at least Flash isn't an HM in this game, it seems, since I got a TM - Flash ...)

I honestly started just running from the Rock/Ground type ones because yeah, the only really good attack I had against them at the time was my Grotle's Grass-type attacks and he's never anywhere near the front of my line-up. Spending the time switching him in just for a paltry few EXP, eh. <_<

The Bidoof learned Water Gun when it turned into Bibarel, but I'm going to see if I can make good progress without leveling it up too much more. 8 hours to get my 2nd badge means I'm either a little slower, or this game is a little longer, than I anticipated. XD

I couldn't stand how Bidoof looked (soo stupid-silly looking), so I got rid of him almost as soon as I could.

I think Skunky is poison/ground, maybe? Not sure.

Edit: Yeah, listen to MastaP and Kay, not me. :)

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Poison/Dark

MastaP on
    edited March 2009

Stunky is an awesome Poison/Dark type, meaning that it resists Ghost, Dark, Poison, Grass, (but not Bug), is immune to Psychic, and takes double damage from Ground.

Also, when it evolves, it looks like this:

435.png

Imagine THAT using Flamethrower. (Which it learns naturally.)

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    MastaP wrote: »
    Poison/Dark
    fucking skunks

that's actually a pretty nasty type combination, here I was hoping to just sweep through these Team Galactic trainers with my Kadabra but then they had to make it complicated :x

edit Thanks for the comprehensive breakdown, Kay, I still forget some of the type relationships occasionally. ^^

and it kinda looks like a sumo skunk in its evolved form ...

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Ok, so I have an issue with a certain Pokemon that I capture over the weekend, Gligar iirc. His type is Ground/Flying. o_O This does not compute. Don't tell me there are Ice/Fire or Electric/Water too?!

chrono_traveller on
    edited March 2009
    Ok, so I have an issue with a certain Pokemon that I capture over the weekend, Gligar iirc. His type is Ground/Flying. o_O This does not compute. Don't tell me there are Ice/Fire or Electric/Water too?!

yep.

http://pokegoons.net/?Lanturn

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited March 2009
    Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay. Possibly a very silly question, but I figured this was the best place to ask. I'm sure it's been asked on these boards before, but that's a lot of pages to cover, and google searching turned up nothing concrete.

Using two DS Lites, is it possible to trade pokemon without wi-fi? As newb-ish as this question sounds, I was only curious because I thought the DS had at least a short wave signal for detecting that sort of thing. Or, would we require a cable to link and trade that way?

Basically, I don't have a wireless router, there's no Starbucks nearby, and my friend is thinking of dropping by some afternoon so we could make some trades happen, but neither one of us owns a link cable, either.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited March 2009
    Lanturn's awesome. There needs to be a Fire/Grass or Fire/Water...

There's a Fire/Rock, they're opposing types. And a Grass/Flying, and Grass/Bug, and Water/Grass, they're sorta opposites.

I want a Psychic/Dark type, that'd be awesome.

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Okay. Possibly a very silly question, but I figured this was the best place to ask. I'm sure it's been asked on these boards before, but that's a lot of pages to cover, and google searching turned up nothing concrete.

Using two DS Lites, is it possible to trade pokemon without wi-fi? As newb-ish as this question sounds, I was only curious because I thought the DS had at least a short wave signal for detecting that sort of thing. Or, would we require a cable to link and trade that way?

Basically, I don't have a wireless router, there's no Starbucks nearby, and my friend is thinking of dropping by some afternoon so we could make some trades happen, but neither one of us owns a link cable, either.

yea local wireless is fine, go upstairs at the Pokemon Center and you can locally trade/battle wirelessly without a router (ad-hoc connection between the two DSes)

p.s. if you can, hook your DS into AC power, it helps with low connection power sometimes.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

yea local wireless is fine, go upstairs at the Pokemon Center and you can locally trade/battle wirelessly without a router (ad-hoc connection between the two DSes)

p.s. if you can, hook your DS into AC power, it helps with low connection power sometimes.

Excellent. It's as I suspected, but wanted to make sure before we tried and got frustrated because that wasn't the case or some such. Thanks for the tip.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited March 2009
    Also FYI, there is no such thing as a Link Cable for a DS. It's all WiFi.

Cameron_Talley on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, DSes have local wifi between themselves so you can play multiplayer stuff locally. Also, Pictochat mayhem that turns to Dicktochat at PAX.

So now that I'm in the end-game and have little desire to catch them all I'm thinking up of a team to breed up. Stunky looks like a good candidate but with lots of heavy hitters rocking Earthquake or similar ground type moves, I'm not totally convinced whether its a good move or not. I'm having fun with a hard hitting Weavile as it is, I'm not sure I need another Dark type.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited March 2009
    Pokemon: Strange Women Will Give You Their Eggs

this update brought to you by Eterna City

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Lanturn's awesome. There needs to be a Fire/Grass or Fire/Water...

There's a Fire/Rock, they're opposing types. And a Grass/Flying, and Grass/Bug, and Water/Grass, they're sorta opposites.

I want a Psychic/Dark type, that'd be awesome.

True, there just seemed something wrong with having Ground/Flying and obviously the people who made Lanturn aren't biologists (Bioluminescence, would bacteria fit under the bug-type? ;) )

Anyway, I don't know how this trading thing works (like I said before, I'm a newb both with Pokemon and DS stuff). So, is there some kind of Wii code-esque thing I need to find and share to connect. There is a starbucks nearby that I can mooch a wireless connection off of. I've been skimming around Bulbapedia and a Flygon looks pretty cool, but it seems that I can't obtain one in Platinum. Is there any anyone willing to trade a Trapinch (might as well start from the ground up) for something? I don't have a lot (obviously), but I can see what I can do.

chrono_traveller on
  • Lionhart617Lionhart617 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How easy it must be to throw in a handful of new pokemon per game, come up with a title having to do with a color, and crapping it out onto the market.

Those games are pretty damn fun. Hell, I have guys in my computer class right now playing poke'mon, but really..there's no effort required. Their biggest worry is running out of names. Making the games themselves is cake.

Lionhart617 on
    edited March 2009
    I could breed you a trapinch pretty easily.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    How easy it must be to throw in a handful of new pokemon per game, come up with a title having to do with a color, and crapping it out onto the market.

Those games are pretty damn fun. Hell, I have guys in my computer class right now playing poke'mon, but really..there's no effort required. Their biggest worry is running out of names. Making the games themselves is cake.

Well I would argue that the games have evolved quite a bit from the R/B/Y days, which is the last time I played one....

Cameron_Talley on
    edited March 2009

Well I would argue that the games have evolved quite a bit from the R/B/Y days, which is the last time I played one....

Well yeah, of course they have. But that's like comparing the most recent Madden game to the very first one. Of course there's been a big change.

But a better comparison, would be to compare Diamond/Pearl/Platinum to the most recent game before that. Yet even then, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum has the advantage of being a generation ahead of the former.

Whatever. Doesn't really matter. :p

Lionhart617 on
    edited March 2009

So, I need some hand-holding here:

1) I assume I need to find some DS-code thingy (is this DS specific or game specific)?

2) Exchange codes

3) Arrange a time to trade? (or can we do some kind of email/COD thingy)

4) What do you want in return?

5) ???

6) Profit! (aka me getting a Trapinch)

chrono_traveller on
    edited March 2009
    You picked a pretty bad generation to bring that up because D/P actually introduced significantly huge changes to the way the game is played compared to R/S and the earlier generations. The redifining of physical/special splits amongst pokes and their moves shook it all up.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009

So, I need some hand-holding here:

1) I assume I need to find some DS-code thingy (is this DS specific or game specific)?

2) Exchange codes

3) Arrange a time to trade? (or can we do some kind of email/COD thingy)

4) What do you want in return?

5) ???

6) Profit! (aka me getting a Trapinch)

You should have a PalPad in your key items or something, if you use it you can check your code, and input mine. Then when you go online you'll be able to see me, and if i'm online too you can request a trade.

You can just give me anything, if you haven't beaten the elite 4 yet there's pretty much no chance of you having something I don't already have so don't worry about it.

Your code is defined by your game and the ds, so you'll have to use the same DS or your code will have changed.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    You picked a pretty bad generation to bring that up because D/P actually introduced significantly huge changes to the way the game is played compared to R/S and the earlier generations. The redifining of physical/special splits amongst pokes and their moves shook it all up.

True. My bad. Guess i'm just really talking out of my ass. I'm just a student in a computer class wanting to get the fuck out. <_< Almost time to leave.

ugh. fire drill

Lionhart617 on
    edited March 2009
    Also, I just saw in the OP about the Pokemart thing. Are people still updating those?

Though I'd hate to just mooch off of people. Is there some Pokemon that I could start breeding now that people could possibly want? (note: I'm only through 4 badges on platinum. I do have a Gible though, do peeps want them?)

Note: I just saw that Garchomp (Gible's final evolution) is not allowed in the OP's general battle rules. Whats the reasoning behind that? Too over-powered? Glitchy in some way?

chrono_traveller on