As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a Dremel

dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm in the market for a new Dremel.

Was thinking of the (not cordless) Dremel Digital with the flexible extension and the 37$ accessory pack. Anyone have another brand they prefer or anything? I'd heard of Rotozip but haven't been able to find a rotary tool that looks to have the same functions.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here's a bundle with exactly what I want, I think. (the add all three to cart pack)

Amazon Dremel Bundle

dispatch.o on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have both a Dremel and the Craftsman equivalent. They're pretty much identical.

Djeet on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would recommend looking at the Dremel XPR series, as they have an even larger selection of accessories, but from the reviews i've seen, they look to be somewhat unreliable.
    Rotozips, from my understanding, aren't the same kind of tool as a Dremel. Both are high speed rotaries, but teh Rotozips are meant more for "plunge" cutting, and are less versatile.

The kit you picked out looks good- the flex shaft attachment is really useful.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Rotozip is also a lot burlier than a dremel and more of a handful(bigger/more powerful) so it is not the best for modeling and detail oriented projects.

You can fit just about any thing that fits a dremel in the Rotozip head, tho they mostly get used cutting out drywall for electric boxes . They also make a cutoff attachment for it.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have the dremel for fibre glass and making plastic moulds for my car and it was expensive but its incredible what you can do with it. I got it with a few extra kits thrown in (ask the store they might put them in for free).

I really havn't used it enough to get its money worth though. Just make sure you will. :p Think i paid 170 AUS bucks all up

Leggraphics on