As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girls + Zombies - Clothes = Messy

EvanderEvander Disappointed FatherRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
So, Onechanbara Bikini Samurai Squad just came out for the 360 stateside (as well as the Wii version, which I do not have in front of me, so I do not know the exact name.)

What are people thinking? Has anyone rushed out to buy it? Has anyone (other than myself) played any of it?

For those not in the know, this game was released in Japan more than two years ago. You run around as a scantily clad lady (to start with you can choose between bikini-woman or school-girl) with a sword, through levels filled to the brim with zombies. If your sword gets too bloody you have to clean it off (left bumper) or else it will get stuck in the Zombies. Also there are items, combos, bosses, and collectible costumes to dress up your characters in. That's about it.

Will it be the next EDF2017, or will it be doomed to being the next Bullet Witch?

edit: Boxarts!

360ul7.jpgwiiep3.jpg

Looks like there was a conscious effort to cover the lady up a little bit more on the Wii box.

Evander on

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I forgot about it coming out, too many games to get, not enough money.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not sure about the 360 version, but the Wii release is budget-priced; $29.99. I'll probably give it a shot before long, if only because this was a game I thought had no chance of getting a US release.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I own every Onechanbara related game for the PS2. Then found out my PS2 can't play those imports (I use HDLoader).

Still debating getting the 360 one, the wii one, or both.

yo guy, the 360 one is $40, and the wii is $30. so yeah.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Not sure about the 360 version, but the Wii release is budget-priced; $29.99. I'll probably give it a shot before long, if only because this was a game I thought had no chance of getting a US release.

They are two different games (to my understanding)

Also, the 360 one is only $40, which is where EDF came out as well.

Evander on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, from the review I just read I don't think I want to be seen buying this game :lol: Some of the screen shots are practically NSFW due to the under-age nature of these scantily clad girls.

Also seems to be lacking the crippiling difficulty that makes the latter half of EDF2017 so addictive in co-op.

My guess? Bullet Witch.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Wow, from the review I just read I don't think I want to be seen buying this game :lol: Some of the screen shots are practically NSFW due to the under-age nature of these scantily clad girls.

Also seems to be lacking the crippiling difficulty that makes the latter half of EDF2017 so addictive in co-op.

My guess? Bullet Witch.

Except from an impression I read at NeoGAF, Bullet Witch is actually good(ouch).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

My guess? Bullet Witch.

Except from an impression I read at NeoGAF, Bullet Witch is actually good(ouch).

I've played Bullet Witch.

Not only is it a bad game, but the magic system honestly makes it unplayable.

Whoever was saying it was good was just excited by tits.

edit: to explain, on top of an otherwise bad game, Bullet Witch forces you to use magic spells (which are NEEDED to defeat many enemies, can't just be skipped) by going in to your magic menu, and then looking through MULTIPLE PAGES to find the particular spell you want to use, and select it.

Trying to emulate some kind of spellbook might be neat in an RPG, but in an action game, having to suddenly stop to sort through pages is not acceptable, and the game had no other redeeming features to excuse that.

Evander on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

My guess? Bullet Witch.

From everything I've heard it's just a shiney game with really clumsy and archaic gameplay.

I haven't played it though, nor do I intend to with my current lack of a 360, so I can't say for sure how I think it is.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

See, for me, that wasn't the draw of EDF.

The draw of EDF was "non-stop mindless action, and things to collect"

Which, so far, Onechanbara seems to have.

Evander on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i want this to be good , just because i'm at the age where i can play this and not feel terribly embarassed

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    all i know about this series is that last time someone posted about it here it was a video of some fat guy explaining it that is haunting me into my deepest nightmares.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A headless Zombie with a gun was just shooting at me.

Also, I have set the blood color to pink.

Evander on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    'Onechanbara Bikini Samurai Squad' sounds like something like Coop and Jamie would be playing at the start of an episode of Megas XLR.

And if you don't know what that show is you hereby suck.

What were those 5 power-ranger esqe anime girls from the love planet called anyway?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is sitting at the top of my Gamefly queue. I like hot video game girls, and I like murdering zombies... How couldn't I like this game?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I will state that the fact that you can (theoretically. I haven't tried it yet to see for sure) have your character be dripping with white blood does bother me a bit.

Evander on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Evander wrote: »

See, for me, that wasn't the draw of EDF.

The draw of EDF was "non-stop mindless action, and things to collect"

Which, so far, Onechanbara seems to have.

Note that I've never touched the game, but the impressions I've read of this verison (and the series in general) are that it doesn't really have the gameplay chops to back up the premise. EDF 2017 is clunky and cheesy, but at its core the gameplay is still pretty fun. I've heard the Oneechanbara games are pretty much a chore to play, a really watered down version of Dynasty Warriors.

For $30 bucks, the Wii version might be a fun thrill, but in either case I see these as bargain bin $10 splurges.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I demand a Lets Play

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Koolaidguy wrote: »
    I demand a Lets Play

I am far too lazy to do that sort of thing.

Evander on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Better to record comments live or record, then rewatch while commenting?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Live, of course.

And to clarify, that impression said Bullet Witch was good compared to Oneechanbara, which doesn't leave me filled with optimism.

But I still plan on giving it a shot.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Live, of course.

And to clarify, that impression said Bullet Witch was good compared to Oneechanbara, which doesn't leave me filled with optimism.

But I still plan on giving it a shot.

it's gaf.

If you are taking it seriously in any regard, you have failed.

I'm almost done with the fourth level at this point (level four is where you recruit the third girl) and I am seriously considering purchasing it.

Evander on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    youtubed some footage of this game

seems to play more like a Dynasty Warriors than anything else...?

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okay, I tested it.

Little Japanese School Girl dripping with white "blood" = THIS IS A THING THAT IS NOT OKAY!!!

Evander on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    op needs more risque pictures and the video review from that super creepy bloke.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thread needs videos

Genital hospital? Japan?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    op needs more risque pictures and the video review from that super creepy bloke.

I'm not here to give you material to jerk off to.

I'm here to ask what people think of a video game.

Evander on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember my old roommate playing this on his Japanese 360 a year or so ago. He didn't seemed to be having much fun. Then again, he might have been doing one of those challenge rooms. Are there any of the sort?

Also, Bullet Witch is crap. At least this game makes it obvious what you're getting. Also, I suspect no instant death scenarios like Bullet Witch.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Then again, he might have been doing one of those challenge rooms. Are there any of the sort?

Yeah, there's a Survival Mode.

I just beat room 1-4 in it.

Evander on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm gonna buy this and have my girlfriend play it in the nude.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I consider Samurai Western the standard by which all action games are judged. If this is half as chaotic as that, I'm sold.

(One character, dozens of enemies to slaughter in a bloody mess, just replace zombies with cowboys.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I could have sworn this was about that magazine that has models posing with corpses.

Fake corpses, I mean.

It's like Zombie Maxim.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    (One character, dozens of enemies to slaughter in a bloody mess, just replace zombies with cowboys.)

That's basically it. The enemies vary, and you can choose a character with one sword, a character with two swords, or a character with guns.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Something to help give people an idea of what to expect couldn't hurt.

Or at least boxart.

Onechanbara_360.jpg

622big.png

Okay, I guess the cover art is pretty terrible. The design looks like it came from out of Silent Hill(and not in a good way).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Something to help give people an idea of what to expect couldn't hurt.

Or at least boxart.

I was responding more to the word "Risque"

I'll hunt down images of the release US boxart (or take them myself) and edit them in when I get a chance.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oddly, the ESRB rating does not mention the fact that you can make your character look like she is dripping with semen.

I am going to call it now that Onechanbara will be the next game put up as an exapmle of how games are destroying our children. The big question is whether it'll be the 360 or Wii version (I don't know if you can change the blood color on the Wii)

Evander on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game looks amazing and I must have it. for $40 I cant say no. From what I know about this game itll be the next EDF for me. Cheap and amazing.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I really need to look at what else is in D3's US catalog.

Evander on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Someone should post the video of the fat guy with a really thin voice and creepy eyes, because its the only thing i can think of when i hear about these games.

Do you do anything else besides chopping up zombies and dressing up the girls? Because from what ive seen of the games, they seems extremly limited and like it would get stale very fast.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    boxart is a good choice, cues people in on what to expect. There really isn't anything about this game that isn't "risque."

But this, this is what you need
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YkPpSFzhI

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    pretty good review/preview...

TyrantCow on