Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Mormons are fucking prompt

1495052545562

Posts

  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Cowboy Fwankenstein Livin' That DreamRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it doesn't matter, Waiter, because a meritocracy is a pretty fucking awful idea in the modern world

    Did I say it was?

    edit: Or wasn't, for that matter?

    darthsig.jpg
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    No but there are people already stepping up to the plate for Heinlien's fascist bullshit

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it doesn't matter, Waiter, because a meritocracy is a pretty fucking awful idea in the modern world

    Are, are you using my job as an insult?

    Hahahaha

    You are 8 kinds of special arnt ya.

    Whoa, Darth Waiter definitly did not have a post up, then suddenly it appeared, weird shit.

    Spoiler:
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    umm, what?

    yeah teefs, you elitist bastard, looking down your nose at us plebes

    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • BelruelBelruel naw Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Wait, what is this "history" you speak of?
    Faricazy wrote: »
    This country has a rather illustrious history of the majority acting on their ideals, which others recognized as immoral and eventually overturned.

    If you're blind to history then I don't know what else to say to you.


    It was a joke. I was sarcastically agreeing with the guy who said I don't actually know history because I'm mormon. :|

    well, the mormon church does hide and bury it's history, but they can learn normal history just fine.
    Actually, most historical records are held at the church offices in Salt Lake and any Joe Schmo can go and look at them. It's less hiding and more not talking about it. Because really who is going to go to the trouble?

    yeah, but why not teach some of the full real history in those 3 hours of church i went to every sunday, and the many hours of youth group, or even in those hours of seminary. when i started studying on my own, my bishop scolded me for it and said it was best to not dig up the past and to just concern myself with having faith in the church leaders

    i mean, i really would have loved to have been told about how a prophet is on record at a congressional hearing swearing that he has never received revelation from god, and that he was not chosen by god and that the apostles were also not chosen through revelation, and more. instead they teach the opposite of that! and those are all very important points to know

    No church in its right mind would do something so foolish. That would only cause fear and distrust.

    exactly, and therein lies the joke about hiding history.

    we could also talk about how joseph smith gave the priesthood to black men and women, and the prophet after him took it away.

    It's really more just a lack of desire by people to research and understand. Which is fine. They are happy people. Whatever.

    yeah, i have never been able to be happy with what is force fed me, i always want to know why, and when and what happened. it is part of the reason i never quite fit in during sunday school. i asked too many questions that the lesson books (which got repeated year after year after year) didn't have answers for

    i was a perfect mormon kid where morals were concerned, and following the guidelines, but in temperment i just didn't fit at all


    Not sure thats totally fair. My favorite word when I was young was "Why". I constantly and still ask questions. It was actually accepted and encouraged when I was at church. And one of the people I love touting to show that truly intellectual people can be members of the church is Hugh Nibley. Look the guy up. Or Henry B. Eyring. I gots more if you need.
    naw, i got plenty of it on my own, what with what happened to me in three different wards in two different states. and the president of the quorum of the 12 said himself that the three greatest threats to mormonism are 'feminists, intellectuals, and homosexuals'

    i am all three to at least some degree

    3DS friendcode: 2380-4618-2503
  • DubhDubh Sailor V Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Wait, what is this "history" you speak of?
    Faricazy wrote: »
    This country has a rather illustrious history of the majority acting on their ideals, which others recognized as immoral and eventually overturned.

    If you're blind to history then I don't know what else to say to you.


    It was a joke. I was sarcastically agreeing with the guy who said I don't actually know history because I'm mormon. :|

    well, the mormon church does hide and bury it's history, but they can learn normal history just fine.
    Actually, most historical records are held at the church offices in Salt Lake and any Joe Schmo can go and look at them. It's less hiding and more not talking about it. Because really who is going to go to the trouble?

    yeah, but why not teach some of the full real history in those 3 hours of church i went to every sunday, and the many hours of youth group, or even in those hours of seminary. when i started studying on my own, my bishop scolded me for it and said it was best to not dig up the past and to just concern myself with having faith in the church leaders

    i mean, i really would have loved to have been told about how a prophet is on record at a congressional hearing swearing that he has never received revelation from god, and that he was not chosen by god and that the apostles were also not chosen through revelation, and more. instead they teach the opposite of that! and those are all very important points to know

    No church in its right mind would do something so foolish. That would only cause fear and distrust.

    exactly, and therein lies the joke about hiding history.

    we could also talk about how joseph smith gave the priesthood to black men and women, and the prophet after him took it away.

    It's really more just a lack of desire by people to research and understand. Which is fine. They are happy people. Whatever.

    yeah, i have never been able to be happy with what is force fed me, i always want to know why, and when and what happened. it is part of the reason i never quite fit in during sunday school. i asked too many questions that the lesson books (which got repeated year after year after year) didn't have answers for

    i was a perfect mormon kid where morals were concerned, and following the guidelines, but in temperment i just didn't fit at all


    Not sure thats totally fair. My favorite word when I was young was "Why". I constantly and still ask questions. It was actually accepted and encouraged when I was at church. And one of the people I love touting to show that truly intellectual people can be members of the church is Hugh Nibley. Look the guy up. Or Henry B. Eyring. I gots more if you need.

    They always just called me a 'spiritual' person. It was always wonderful coming up with a better point than what the bishop could muster.

    Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    man I ain't even know what's going on anymore in this thread

  • DubhDubh Sailor V Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mormon talk. Psh.

    Wait, fuck.

    Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Where did Jigrah even get the impression that I was referring to him at all

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Where did Jigrah even get the impression that I was referring to him at all

    I think he missed Darth's post

  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Cowboy Fwankenstein Livin' That DreamRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No but there are people already stepping up to the plate for Heinlien's fascist bullshit

    I'm a reluctantly curious of fascism; it has an elegant simplicity to it.

    darthsig.jpg
  • BelruelBelruel naw Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Where did Jigrah even get the impression that I was referring to him at all

    yeah i was wondering that too hahaha, you were talking about starship troopers

    3DS friendcode: 2380-4618-2503
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No but there are people already stepping up to the plate for Heinlien's fascist bullshit

    The book paints it as a really pretty picture, because it can cause it is fiction. It gives the impression that fascism leads to paradise and gives a couple of reasons how it would work.

    Personally I think there is promise to a small meritocracy, maybe not for the US but for smaller countries, yes.

    Spoiler:
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

    it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

    it makes me very very sad.

    That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

    I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

    Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

    And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

    No offense intended.

    According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

    According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

    So, right back at ya.

    No offense intended.

    I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

    You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

    *sigh*

    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

    SWTOR Main - Novah (Shadowlands)
    Xbox Live - ObiFett (BF4 / Destiny)
    Other Games - Hearthstone and Diablo 3
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish Viv was here so we could bask in the glory of being right all the time.

    This is good pizza.

    bar-cc-1.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you can't jerk it can you

    reposig.jpg
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Where did Jigrah even get the impression that I was referring to him at all

    At first I thought you meant Darth Waiter, so I scrolled up but there were no posts by him. Javen hadn't said anything and I did, so I thought you were talking to me.

    After I posted I could see his post, not sure if I missed it or it just wasn't there, quite odd though.

    Spoiler:
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

    it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

    it makes me very very sad.

    That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

    I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

    Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

    And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

    No offense intended.

    According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

    According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

    So, right back at ya.

    No offense intended.

    I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

    You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

    *sigh*

    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

    You don't KNOW, you believe

    Religion is faith. Belief in the absence of proof.

    No proof no knowing sorry

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »


    Not sure thats totally fair. My favorite word when I was young was "Why". I constantly and still ask questions. It was actually accepted and encouraged when I was at church. And one of the people I love touting to show that truly intellectual people can be members of the church is Hugh Nibley. Look the guy up. Or Henry B. Eyring. I gots more if you need.
    naw, i got plenty of it on my own, what with what happened to me in three different wards in two different states. and the president of the quorum of the 12 said himself that the three greatest threats to mormonism are 'feminists, intellectuals, and homosexuals'

    i am all three to at least some degree

    I saw you quoted that earlier in the thread, but you didn't give a link or who actually said it. I would love to read that talk.

    SWTOR Main - Novah (Shadowlands)
    Xbox Live - ObiFett (BF4 / Destiny)
    Other Games - Hearthstone and Diablo 3
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    Where did Jigrah even get the impression that I was referring to him at all

    yeah i was wondering that too hahaha, you were talking about starship troopers

    yeah, those fuckin' waiters. bringing me my food. what dicks

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    And so by forcing what you claim to know but don't on others you are

    In fact

    A bigot

  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Cowboy Fwankenstein Livin' That DreamRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Where did Jigrah even get the impression that I was referring to him at all

    At first I thought you meant Darth Waiter, so I scrolled up but there were no posts by him. Javen hadn't said anything and I did, so I thought you were talking to me.

    After I posted I could see his post, not sure if I missed it or it just wasn't there, quite odd though.
    Spoiler:

    darthsig.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

    it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

    it makes me very very sad.

    That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

    I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

    Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

    And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

    No offense intended.

    According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

    According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

    So, right back at ya.

    No offense intended.

    I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

    You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

    *sigh*

    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.
    FOR THE LAST TIME, YOURS IS NOT THE ONLY FAITH AROUND, NOR IS IT THE ONLY ONE WITH A CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE

    YOU FUCKING IDIOT

    AGRGHIU

  • DubhDubh Sailor V Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

    it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

    it makes me very very sad.

    That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

    I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

    Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

    And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

    No offense intended.

    According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

    According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

    So, right back at ya.

    No offense intended.

    I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

    You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

    *sigh*

    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

    If it's just a word, then why bother making laws about it?

    Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited February 2009
    i'm going to get a coronary from this shit

  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So somebody wrote on some sign trying to get people to come to church on the quad today with a headline "Why does God care about sexuality?" that said "Marriage is a sacred thing, and gay marriage does not ruin it. Divorce makes a mockery of marriage."

    And all I could think of was Kelso going "BURN"

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

    it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

    it makes me very very sad.

    That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

    I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

    Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

    And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

    No offense intended.

    According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

    According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

    So, right back at ya.

    No offense intended.

    I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

    You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

    *sigh*

    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

    You don't KNOW, you believe

    Religion is faith. Belief in the absence of proof.

    No proof no knowing sorry

    I do "know". My explanation of how I know wouldn't be sufficient for you, however. Much like you trying to explain how salt tastes to someone who has never tasted salt.

    SWTOR Main - Novah (Shadowlands)
    Xbox Live - ObiFett (BF4 / Destiny)
    Other Games - Hearthstone and Diablo 3
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Cowboy Fwankenstein Livin' That DreamRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i'm going to get a coronary from this shit

    Dibs on your couch and loveseat.

    darthsig.jpg
  • BelruelBelruel naw Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »


    Not sure thats totally fair. My favorite word when I was young was "Why". I constantly and still ask questions. It was actually accepted and encouraged when I was at church. And one of the people I love touting to show that truly intellectual people can be members of the church is Hugh Nibley. Look the guy up. Or Henry B. Eyring. I gots more if you need.
    naw, i got plenty of it on my own, what with what happened to me in three different wards in two different states. and the president of the quorum of the 12 said himself that the three greatest threats to mormonism are 'feminists, intellectuals, and homosexuals'

    i am all three to at least some degree

    I saw you quoted that earlier in the thread, but you didn't give a link or who actually said it. I would love to read that talk.

    boyd k packer of course

    3DS friendcode: 2380-4618-2503
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

    it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

    it makes me very very sad.

    That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

    I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

    Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

    And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

    No offense intended.

    According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

    According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

    So, right back at ya.

    No offense intended.

    I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

    You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

    *sigh*

    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

    Just out of curiosity, what would happen if the church were to change it's doctrine and suddenly say 'okay gay marriage is cool, now?' Religions change their stances on such things all the time, would it still be such an eternal principle if your religion said it was okay?

    bar-cc-1.jpg
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

    it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

    it makes me very very sad.

    That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

    I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

    Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

    And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

    No offense intended.

    According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

    According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

    So, right back at ya.

    No offense intended.

    I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

    You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

    *sigh*

    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

    Because it is the church that marries you, not the government. You are wanting your definition of marriage to be the governments definition of marriage.

    Here in America, pushing religion on the government doesn't add inches to your dick.

    Spoiler:
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

    it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

    it makes me very very sad.

    That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

    I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

    Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

    And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

    No offense intended.

    According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

    According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

    So, right back at ya.

    No offense intended.

    I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

    You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

    *sigh*

    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

    You don't KNOW, you believe

    Religion is faith. Belief in the absence of proof.

    No proof no knowing sorry

    I do "know". My explanation of how I know wouldn't be sufficient for you, however. Much like you trying to explain how salt tastes to someone who has never tasted salt.

    No you don't because THAT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE DEFINITION OF FAITH YOU FUCKING TOOL

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i'm going to get a coronary from this shit

    Dibs on your couch and loveseat.

    I need a drink

    First round is on me, who's in

  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

    Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.
    The government's definition of marriage doesn't have to match your religion's, even if they're using the same word. If I tell you I'm stepping out to smoke a fag, do you immediately think I'm about to gun down Elton? Words have different meanings in context!

    It's an easy game to hate
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i'm going to get a coronary from this shit

    Dibs on your couch and loveseat.
    I didn't say I'll die!

  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Me Too!

    League of Legends: Lamby Cakes | XBox Live: Jon Butters
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i'm going to get a coronary from this shit

    Dibs on your couch and loveseat.

    I need a drink

    First round is on me, who's in
    might as well get this friday started early

This discussion has been closed.